ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Jurich is out.

Assoc. AD for Marketing, Julianne Waldron also canned. Kimberly Maffett, too. She was Assoc. AD for HR.

Was he?

It’s reported he was the biggest fundraiser. How much did he raise vs salary?

I don’t know. Just asking. I’d say the coffers are going get grow smaller yet.

I don't know about the fundraising, but he was essentially handed a six figure job after college. Then was quickly rumored to be compensated around 400 k with foundation money. Guy had next no credentials save for his surname. No knock on him...I'd have taken the money too

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I don't know about the fundraising, but he was essentially handed a six figure job after college. Then was quickly rumored to be compensated around 400 k with foundation money. Guy had next no credentials save for his surname. No knock on him...I'd have taken the money too
You should have stopped your post after the first three words. That at least came from your brain - the rest of it (as well as your first post in this thread) came straight out of your ass.

I met him once at a basketball game while hosting a suite for my employer and he seemed pretty talented. By any standard, however, he was overpaid and is easily replaceable.

Reactions: STLNBSE
You should have stopped your post after the first three words. That at least came from your brain - the rest of it (as well as your first post in this thread) came straight out of your ass.

Good one babe. And let me guess, you have direct and specific knowledge about his ability and accomplishments as a fundraiser? I like jurich and his dad, but he was overpaid. Why? Because he had no special skill set and was given a lucrative job and extra benefits based on his last name. If that isn't nepotism in your book, you are a mental midget.

Put in a more productive tone, we have admin issues right now but losing Mark isn't one.

Good one babe. And let me guess, you have direct and specific knowledge about his ability and accomplishments as a fundraiser? I like jurich and his dad, but he was overpaid. Why? Because he had no special skill set and was given a lucrative job and extra benefits based on his last name. If that isn't nepotism in your book, you are a mental midget.

Put in a more productive tone, we have admin issues right now but losing Mark isn't one.
Mark Jurich was “the department’s most productive salesman” with $84 million in fund-raising directly attributable to him since 2008 according to a UofL departmental summary and specifically $33.05 million of the $63.25 million for the football stadium's north end expansion and was responsible for approximately $30 million in contributions for premium seating since 2010 - according to the same summary. I’d say that’s a pretty good set of skills to go along with the last name. How’s that stack up next to your resume, champ?

Took me all of 30 seconds to find that “direct and specific” information that had clearly eluded you.

Mental midget - lol.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
Mark Jurich was “the department’s most productive salesman” with $84 million in fund-raising directly attributable to him since 2008 according to a UofL departmental summary and specifically $33.05 million of the $63.25 million for the football stadium's north end expansion and was responsible for approximately $30 million in contributions for premium seating since 2010 - according to the same summary. I’d say that’s a pretty good set of skills to go along with the last name. How’s that stack up next to your resume, champ?

Took me all of 30 seconds to find that “direct and specific” information that had clearly eluded you.

Mental midget - lol.
It amazes me how flippant some posters are with their comments and zero knowledge of what they’re talking about.

60 million dollars in fund raising will not be easily replaced. Letting your personal agenda skew the facts is par for the course for some of you.

Mental midget - lol.

Way to quote directly from that venerable news source the CJ which quoted its info directly from a U of L athletics department summary. I mean we all know the department never released any misleading info to the media, right? And who's daddy was in charge when that "objective" summary was produced? If you knew a thing about fundraising it's that it's very difficult in the case of a major university to directly attribute any donations to one person. Furthermore do you think MJ benefitted from any fortuitous leads from TJ? Mental midget indeed.

The Jurich era is over like it or not. The younger Jurich, who I have no qualms with, wasn't going to fit in with the new regime or be productive in the new culture. Here's the most telling part of the situation. If MJ was such a master salesman and irreplaceable commodity do you not think he would have immediately left for a similar/better job after the university fired and humiliated his father? He knew he had a gig here he likely won't find anywhere else. It was a gravy train with biscuit wheels. Some of you have zero ability to think beyond what's printed and what you want to believe.

Last edited:
Way to quote directly from that venerable news source the CJ which quoted its info directly from a U of L athletics department summary. I mean we all know the department never released any misleading info to the media, right? And who's daddy was in charge when that "objective" summary was produced? If you knew a thing about fundraising it's that it's very difficult in the case of a major university to directly attribute any donations to one person. Furthermore do you think MJ benefitted from any fortuitous leads from TJ? Mental midget indeed.

The Jurich era is over like it or not. The younger Jurich, who I have no qualms with, wasn't going to fit in with the new regime or be productive in the new culture. Here's the most telling part of the situation. If MJ was such a master salesman and irreplaceable commodity do you not think he would have immediately left for a similar/better job after the university fired and humiliated his father? He knew he had a gig here he likely won't find anywhere else. It was a gravy train with biscuit wheels. Some of you have zero ability to think beyond what's printed and what you want to believe.
This us all conjecture on your part. You really know nothing of what you just claimed. If MJ was hired because if his last name, he was also fired because of his last name. That’s not right either. If he had no credentials when hired, he has them now. Good luck, MJ!

This us all conjecture on your part. You really know nothing of what you just claimed. If MJ was hired because if his last name, he was also fired because of his last name. That’s not right either. If he had no credentials when hired, he has them now. Good luck, MJ!

Agree with most of this sans the conjecture comment. What I'm certain of is that without the name Jurich, he doesn't walk into that position with the experience he had. No shot, just like our QB coach. Not saying either of them are/were bad at their jobs, but both are/were comfortably insulated from reality. Crediting Mark for raising all those funds would be nearly identical to crediting Nick for Lamar's Heisman.

Last edited:

That’s why I used the quotation marks big guy. But you’re right of course. We all know how the CJ has bent over backwards in the last 6 months to treat UofL, TJ and pitino with kid gloves. If you bothered to look, the information cited was part of an open records request that the CJ made - not info that UofL put out voluntarily. What specific insight do you bring to back up your university fundraising comment?

I’d love to hear more about what you do for a living - as I’m always fascinated to talk to completely self-made people. Clearly your attitude on the subject belies someone who had no help at any point in your career. I doubt though that you’re in sales because if you were, you’d understand that leads don’t equal sales.

For someone who continues to profess his neutrality on Mark Jurich - you sure continue to shit on him here. Why didn’t he leave? I’m going to take him at his word that he enjoyed his job and, he and his wife (who’s established business wise here in Louisville too) have made their home here. Why should he leave? He clearly was making the best of the changing situation until it became untenable.

As for me, I’ll continue to believe credible sources - like those directly involved - rather than some goof ball that listens to the sounds that make it through his tin foil hat.

Retaliation. I was trying my best to give Postel and the BOT a break but they get worse by the day. When I read where Postel said in an article that he believes he's "good at administration", I thought how damned delusional can this guy be? Mr. Postel, you were hired to be a hatchet and that's all. You suck at your job here. Go back to Indiana and wear your UK colors.

Reactions: STLNBSE
You fail to offer any logic or counter mine other than admitting that you believe everything the CJ prints. Open records or no, you are citing information released by a Jurich run athletic department. If you overpaid your son wouldn't you have a vested interest in make no his accomplishments appear worthy? I sure as hell would.

Further, why is this conversation such a sticking point for you? Would any other major college athletics program cry over losing an associate AD? Do you really think Jurich the younger is irreplaceable?

Lastly, your infatuation with my career is bizarre. I feel no need to justify anything to you but I'll say I have two degrees and make a comfortable living. I've worked in big business (sales) and with government organizations. How much do you bench press pal? Lol...there's a question on your level.

You fail to offer any logic or counter mine other than admitting that you believe everything the CJ prints. Open records or no, you are citing information released by a Jurich run athletic department. If you overpaid your son wouldn't you have a vested interest in make no his accomplishments appear worthy? I sure as hell would.

Further, why is this conversation such a sticking point for you? Would any other major college athletics program cry over losing an associate AD? Do you really think Jurich the younger is irreplaceable?

Lastly, your infatuation with my career is bizarre. I feel no need to justify anything to you but I'll say I have two degrees and make a comfortable living. I've worked in big business (sales) and with government organizations. How much do you bench press pal? Lol...there's a question on your level.
Ok. Which makes more sense logically? That the information contained in a UofL report on its own fundraising is legitimate or, that it was fabricated to make an associate AD look better at his job than he was? Before you answer factor in the current regimes interest in pointing out anything that might possibly paint TJ in a negative light. If Mark wasn’t responsible for generating those numbers - where are the university employees that were and, why would they let their activities be ascribed to Mark Jurich?

What was your logic again? Oh yeah, the athletic department IYO has not always been straight with their numbers, so of course that means the info in this case is bullshit. That’s rock solid thinking right there - I shudder to think what conclusions you might have drawn with only one degree under your belt - lol.

Just to clarify, Mark wasn't given a job right out of college. He spent 4 years in the minors before an eye injury, if I recall, ended his career. Yes, his dad put him on the staff, but he did work his way up in the department, and did, by all accounts, a great job.

Reactions: BPGhost
This goes for Tyra too.

He was handed a job with no credentials.

And is now the seventh highest paid in the country in that job.

Tyra hasn't brought in the first penny for UL that I'm aware of.

Don't entirely disagree but at least Tyra had a solid business background. Mark had literally zero job history.

Ok. Which makes more sense logically? That the information contained in a UofL report on its own fundraising is legitimate or, that it was fabricated to make an associate AD look better at his job than he was? Before you answer factor in the current regimes interest in pointing out anything that might possibly paint TJ in a negative light. If Mark wasn’t responsible for generating those numbers - where are the university employees that were and, why would they let their activities be ascribed to Mark Jurich?

What was your logic again? Oh yeah, the athletic department IYO has not always been straight with their numbers, so of course that means the info in this case is bullshit. That’s rock solid thinking right there - I shudder to think what conclusions you might have drawn with only one degree under your belt - lol.

As usual, you miss the point entirely. My original contention was that he was overpaid. I also said he was hired without merit. But clearly, as Eric Crawford has illustrated (because you need professional news sources so desperately) U of L Athletics under Jurich and by direction of Ramsey, willfully misled the public when it suited their needs.

Your only point in this thread has been that you love Mark because you believe he raised a ton of money and that the university cannot replace him.

I guess one of us is right. Sorry it isn't you.

What we really need here is an "I worship TJ and all associated with him" thread. That would end most of this nonsense. I swear I wonder who some folks are fans of...TJ or U of L.

Don't entirely disagree but at least Tyra had a solid business background. Mark had literally zero job history.
Shows how completely out of touch and ironically obtuse you really are. Tyra owes his professional success to grissom 100% - his last name might as well be grissom for all of the assistance he received.

At least Mark Jurich had produced for UofL - both athletically and professionally before - as you say - he was “overpaid”. Vince is a nice guy but has zero qualifications for the job grissom gave him and no one in their right mind could say that he’s worth 1.2M a year.

Just to clarify, Mark wasn't given a job right out of college. He spent 4 years in the minors before an eye injury, if I recall, ended his career. Yes, his dad put him on the staff, but he did work his way up in the department, and did, by all accounts, a great job.

Thanks for the clarification. We all know how low minors baseball prepares one for a six figure associate AD job.

Shows how completely out of touch and ironically obtuse you really are. Tyra owes his professional success to grissom 100% - his last name might as well be grissom for all of the assistance he received.

At least Mark Jurich had produced for UofL - both athletically and professionally before - as you say - he was “overpaid”. Vince is a nice guy but has zero qualifications for the job grissom gave him and no one in their right mind could say that he’s worth 1.2M a year.

Not here to defend Tyra but he's far more qualified than Jurich the younger was. Period.

As usual, you miss the point entirely. My original contention was that he was overpaid. I also said he was hired without merit. But clearly, as Eric Crawford has illustrated (because you need professional news sources so desperately) U of L Athletics under Jurich and by direction of Ramsey, willfully misled the public when it suited their needs.

Your only point in this thread has been that you love Mark because you believe he raised a ton of money and that the university cannot replace him.

I guess one of us is right. Sorry it isn't you.
Nice attempt at deflection / misdirection. I didn’t miss your point because you don’t have one - well except for the one under your hat. If the report is false as you claim, you should have no problem providing proof to back that up. Until then - I’ll continue to know that you’re simply 200 pounds of shit stuffed in a 150 pound sack.

I don’t know Mark Jurich and therefore don’t have any personal feelings for him. I can however recognize that he accomplished a lot of really good things for the university that I support while he was employed there and, be disappointed in the disappointing group of people in charge that would get rid of him and two other high value people in their efforts to de-emphasize the athletic department.

I hope that they all can be replaced and more importantly, I hope their replacements are waiting in the wings. UofL needs all the help it can get right about now.

So I don't have a point? Really believe that in your heart of hearts? No way Mark was overpaid or that he might not have been the tremendous fundraiser his father proclaimed and built him to be? No way Jurich the elder fudged fundraising reports to look favorably upon his boy?

So I don't have a point? Really believe that in your heart of hearts? No way Mark was overpaid or that he might not have been the tremendous fundraiser his father proclaimed and built him to be? No way Jurich the elder fudged fundraising reports to look favorably upon his boy?
No - you don’t have a point. What you have is a baseless accusation built on the level of supposition that typically accompanies a 100,000’ view of a situation. But hey - prove me wrong.

Let’s start here. How much was Mark Jurich paid during his tenure? How much did he get those first four years as an intern and part time employee? How much did he make a year after he was hired in 2008? How much money did he raise if the figures in the AD summary are incorrect? Who did raise that money if it wasn’t him? Why haven’t they come forward to claim credit? Why if the report was “fudged” by TJ - hasn’t grissom and postel released that information? I mean they’re turning over every rock they can find in an effort to not pay him his contract. You would certainly think that an in house document would be something that they could get to the bottom of very quickly or better yet, simply lie about as postel has done of late.

Those questions are so basic, it shouldn’t take you any time at all to provide the answers that will make your position credible.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
No - you don’t have a point. What you have is a baseless accusation built on the level of supposition that typically accompanies a 100,000’ view of a situation. But hey - prove me wrong.

Let’s start here. How much was Mark Jurich paid during his tenure? How much did he get those first four years as an intern and part time employee? How much did he make a year after he was hired in 2008? How much money did he raise if the figures in the AD summary are incorrect? Who did raise that money if it wasn’t him? Why haven’t they come forward to claim credit? Why if the report was “fudged” by TJ - hasn’t grissom and postel released that information? I mean they’re turning over every rock they can find in an effort to not pay him his contract. You would certainly think that an in house document would be something that they could get to the bottom of very quickly or better yet, simply lie about as postel has done of late.

Those questions are so basic, it shouldn’t take you any time at all to provide the answers that will make your position credible.

Logic is never baseless. What you have is blind faith and willfull ignorance. What else you got? As you point out, your position has more questions than answers. Only one reasonable certainty is that if U of L needed him in these time of very uncertain cash liquidity, they'd have damn well kept him regardless of his last name. They didn't so was viewed as expendable

Last edited:
Logic is never baseless. What you have is blind faith and willfull ignorance. What else you got? As you point out, your position has more questions than answers. Only one reasonable certainty is that if U of L needed him in these time of very uncertain cash liquidity, they'd have damn well kept him regardless of his last name. They didn't so was viewed as expendable
So no answers then? You’re right though - I do have a position with a lot of questions, and it’s “why is stlnbase such a dumbass?”

If grissom had used his head instead of being intent on showing TJ that he swings a bigger dick than he did, they would have retained him as he was one person who could have steered the university through this mess. Instead he brings in a lifetime protégé to a position that he’s unqualified for (and overpaid - I know how much that bugs you when someone’s overpaid) in the best of circumstances. Based on that level of stupidity and vindictiveness, it seems absolutely credible (log·i·cal) that he would also cut his nose off to spite his face with Mark.

Insults, personal questions,etc. You have no clue what you're talking about. Not worth another response. Night night buddy.

Insults, personal questions,etc. You have no clue what you're talking about. Not worth another response. Night night buddy.
And yet, you responded. Not with answers to the simplest of questions about your assertions (candidly, we both knew that you wouldn’t) but, with a white flag.

You can come out of the corner you’ve painted yourself into - I accept your complete surrender - lol

Last edited:
If Vince Tyra is “qualified” to be an AD at a P5 school, then I’m a space shuttle pilot.

Me, and many others on this board are as “qualified” as he is.

If this “business” analogy is the point, let’s hire the Pres of Ford Motor Company as head BB coach.

And yet, you responded. Not with answers to the simplest of questions about your assertions (candidly, we both knew that you wouldn’t) but, with a white flag.

You can come out of the corner you’ve painted yourself into - I accept your complete surrender - lol

As Mark Twain famously said, "never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I certainly won't lower myself to conduct your asinine research errand, but here's what I know off the top of my head. The Foundation paid Mark over 700k from 2012-16 in addition to the six figure income he was already getting. Mark was hired with no experience and quickly made what most of us would consider a lot of money. His dad was a brilliant fundraiser. His dad was a great AD. His dad had a deep network of big fish donors.Thus, his dad deserves near total credit for creating the processes, practices and conditions that allowed Son to achieve any measure of success. As I've already said, this reasonably explains why Mark wasn't in any hurry to find new employment despite his dad's very public mistreatment by Postel.

How did I paint myself into any corners? By suggesting the internal documents could be skewed to make Mark look more successful? It's at least plausible, but ultimately unimportant because it's essentially unknowable how much money he raised directly, how much he benefited from his dad
(Presumably a lot), or who else on the staff was a good fundraiser. Jurich the elder was the rainmaker and not his son. I can understand bemoaning Tom's firing, but extending that to include his son is nothing short of hero worship.

This all started with my simple and innocuous comment that MJ was overpaid. He was. As others have pointed out, so too is Tyra, but at least he has a resume and some history of leadership, financial acumen, etc. Mark had his dad. The next job he interviews for will be his first.

As Mark Twain famously said, "never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I certainly won't lower myself to conduct your asinine research errand, but here's what I know off the top of my head. The Foundation paid Mark over 700k from 2012-16 in addition to the six figure income he was already getting. Mark was hired with no experience and quickly made what most of us would consider a lot of money. His dad was a brilliant fundraiser. His dad was a great AD. His dad had a deep network of big fish donors.Thus, his dad deserves near total credit for creating the processes, practices and conditions that allowed Son to achieve any measure of success. As I've already said, this reasonably explains why Mark wasn't in any hurry to find new employment despite his dad's very public mistreatment by Postel.

How did I paint myself into any corners? By suggesting the internal documents could be skewed to make Mark look more successful? It's at least plausible, but ultimately unimportant because it's essentially unknowable how much money he raised directly, how much he benefited from his dad
(Presumably a lot), or who else on the staff was a good fundraiser. Jurich the elder was the rainmaker and not his son. I can understand bemoaning Tom's firing, but extending that to include his son is nothing short of hero worship.

This all started with my simple and innocuous comment that MJ was overpaid. He was. As others have pointed out, so too is Tyra, but at least he has a resume and some history of leadership, financial acumen, etc. Mark had his dad. The next job he interviews for will be his first.
From the CJ - 6/23/17 regarding the internal audit performed on the Foundation related to athletics.

“Mark Jurich’s salary: The audit lists Tom’s son Mark Jurich, who oversees fundraising for athletics, as receiving $767,208 total from the foundation from 2010 to 2016.

As (Kevin)Miller explained and is noted in the audit, Mark Jurich is officially an employee of the president’s office, which sets and oversees his pay. The money paid to Mark Jurich by the foundation was for the only salary he receives, which averaged $109,601 over the seven years that were audited and was $160,080 the past two years. Miller said Jurich’s salary is about “middle of the pack” compared with other senior officials at UofL.“

Only during the years of 2010 & 2011 did Jurich receive additional money from the university - about 80K per - after that he was paid the 160K reported. So again, what you know “off the top of your head” proves to be erroneous. You say it’s “unknowable how much (money) he raised directly” except there is a report detailing it. You choose to disregard the report’s validity based on - well really based on nothing - and I choose to accept the report on its face until proven otherwise.

You say MJ was overpaid - I disagreed and you got huffy and defensive. It happens.

Agree to disagree. I really can't believe I've wasted the amount of time I have arguing with you about it. "Huffy" I was not. You came at me all wrong dawg...lol

Every post he makes is out of his ass- such a thinly disguised fan of another school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT