ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Williams Says He's Staying

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
According to his Twitter account and a report by the Louisville Courier Journal Snider graduate Malik Williams will be back in a Louisville uniform next season.

Williams, who just finished his freshman season at Louisville, was one of many players whose future appeared undecided in recent weeks.

The firing of Rick Pitino before the season and hiring of David Padgett as interim coach for the 2017-18 left many questions about the future direction of the proud Louisville program.

However, Louisville hired a proven coach earlier this week in Xavier's Chris Mack and at his press conference Williams stated that he was returning to Louisville for his sophomore season and not seeking to transfer as some reports insinuated.

Mack actually offered Williams - the no. 26 overall national recruit in the 2017 high school senior class - a scholarship while at Xavier, as did major programs like Michigan State and Indiana.

The 6-foot-11 Williams was a part-time starter for Louisville as a freshman. He started 12 of 32 games and averaged 3.8 points and 2.4 rebounds a night.

If most or all of the guys stay then the total rebuild that some were predicting won't occur. UofL basketball could bounce back pretty quickly.

Reactions: Cue Card
I do like the idea of getting back to the tall physical guards like Coach Crum recruited. It’s going to be fun once Mack gets our team rolling again. Which shouldn’t take long.

Reactions: Cue Card
Wonder how CM plans on using him? Stretch 4 with some relief of the 5? I still think Enoch opens at the 5, even though I have heard many say he won't beat Williams out there. Kid doesn't seem to want to be a banger, but with CM at the helm will he try and put weight on him and plant him down low more? Lots of questions about how to utilize this kid.

Wonder how CM plans on using him? Stretch 4 with some relief of the 5? I still think Enoch opens at the 5, even though I have heard many say he won't beat Williams out there. Kid doesn't seem to want to be a banger, but with CM at the helm will he try and put weight on him and plant him down low more? Lots of questions about how to utilize this kid.

I agree with all this I think you nailed it.

A good question. I don't think we will see as many spot up threes as he took this year but more of the pick and pop variety. Strictly a guess on my part, but this is what I saw him do with O'Meara and Kanter at X.

IMO Malik has the ability to develop into a Mo Wagner type of player. Same with Ray if he returns.

A good coach takes advantage of a players strengths while working on them in practice to improve their weaknesses. So, I suspect MW will be a stretch 4 since he seems to play better farther away from the basket. He does have his moments in the paint though, so his ceiling is high.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT