ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is the extreme favorite...

Name the other schools with open coaching positions who have Mack on their list of candidates. I haven't seen anyone else competing for his services except the one he's at. If you're Louisville, Xavier shouldn't be formidable competition...

Not sure what your point is. There aren’t any other schools of Louisville’s stature that are looking for a coach. It doesn’t appear that Xavier is formidable competition. The best fit for UofL is going to be coaching at UofL.

Name the other schools with open coaching positions who have Mack on their list of candidates. I haven't seen anyone else competing for his services except the one he's at. If you're Louisville, Xavier shouldn't be formidable competition...

Because there’s no point in other schools trying. Im pretty sure the Jon Rothstein article or some article mentioned that the Louisville job is one of the very few jobs Mack would even consider leaving for and Mack has mentioned that. He came up last year for OSU and IU. He rejected both. It’s not easy to pluck a guy from his alma mater who has settled in for 9 years. However, I’d think you see way more articles about Mack staying if it was “competition.” Clearly, like 98% of the articles talk about Mack leaving...

I've asked you in another thread for that documented somewhere...

I cannot document a conversation I had and I didn’t take notes. This was before the “new regime”. In the course of conversation I asked what would’ve happened if CRP had resigned and was matter of factly told that Chris Mack would’ve been on his way. Quite frankly it was from that where I took a closer look at Mack. I figured if he was Jurich’s pick then he was solid.

Not sure what your point is. There aren’t any other schools of Louisville’s stature that are looking for a coach. It doesn’t appear that Xavier is formidable competition...
Mack would be a home run hire for a lesser program. Yet, I don't know of anyone else pursuing him.
...The best fit for UofL is going to be coaching at UofL.
That's just clown show apologist rhetoric...whatever these guys do is best for U of L.

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

I don't follow other schools that closely... Memphis just filled their position. I think UConn and Georgia are also open...

Memphis hired Penny Hardaway, Crean to Georgia, and Dan Hurley to UCONN. Pitt still looking I believe.

Because there’s no point in other schools trying...
That's the same flawed logic as U of L not pursuing a truly elite coach. You don't make a home run hire without reaching for someone who's hard to get. Mack's an easy hire for U of L, but he should be hard for a lesser program to get.

Just saying Mack is the best we can get is lowering the bar for your school and your AD...

Memphis hired Penny Hardaway, Crean to Georgia, and Dan Hurley to UCONN. Pitt still looking I believe.
I forgot about Pitt.

It doesn't matter who they hired. It's who they considered or went after. Did anyone pursue Mack that we know about? Appears that his current school is/was our only competition. If that doesn't make him an easy hire, it sure as hell makes him easier...

That's the same flawed logic as U of L not pursuing a truly elite coach. You don't make a home run hire without reaching for someone who's hard to get. Mack's an easy hire for U of L, but he should be hard for a lesser program to get.

Just saying Mack is the best we can get is lowering the bar for your school and your AD...

He was Jurich’s pick as well. Jurich never lowered any bars on coaching searches...we all agree on that!

There have been no positions of Louisville’s caliber come open lately but Mack has previously rebuffed interest from Georgetown, Ohio St, Cal and IU. We are fishing in the right pool. Jurich knee it and so does Tyra.

I cannot document a conversation I had and I didn’t take notes. This was before the “new regime”. In the course of conversation I asked what would’ve happened if CRP had resigned and was matter of factly told that Chris Mack would’ve been on his way. Quite frankly it was from that where I took a closer look at Mack. I figured if he was Jurich’s pick then he was solid.
Well, I've had many conversations too, and I couch that info as such--not state it as fact.

IF Jurich genuinely had Mack at the top of his list, that would make me more optimistic. My guess is that will leak out from the Jurich camp if Mack's hired and if it's true. In the meantime, I will hold onto my healthy degree of skepticism...

He was Jurich’s pick as well. Jurich never lowered any bars on coaching searches...we all agree on that!

There have been no positions of Louisville’s caliber come open lately but Mack has previously rebuffed interest from Georgetown, Ohio St, Cal and IU. We are fishing in the right pool. Jurich knee it and so does Tyra.
Again, I'll wait for better evidence of WWJ(urich)D. You're too much of an apologist for the clown show...

Well, I've had many conversations too, and I couch that info as such--not state it as fact.

IF Jurich genuinely had Mack at the top of his list, that would make me more optimistic. My guess is that will leak out from the Jurich camp if Mack's hired and if it's true. In the meantime, I will hold onto my healthy degree of skepticism...

The person I spoke to was very matter of fact and was in the camp. If that is your litmus test, then consider yourself more optimistic!

So the top up and comer that went to the EE and 3-4 SS’s at Xavier in 9 seasons with lesser talent that UofL can get is lowering the bar? You must be so miserable.

Basing whether he’s a good coach all depending on if Jurich had him at the top of his list or not is mind boggling.

Reactions: PaintMeRed&Black
So the top up and comer that went to the EE and 3-4 SS’s at Xavier in 9 seasons with lesser talent that UofL can get is lowering the bar? You must be so miserable.

Basing whether he’s a good coach all depending on if Jurich had him at the top of his list or not is mind boggling.
The truly elite coaches have better resumes than Mack. You may not like that, but it's a fact. Mack wouldn't still be at Xavier if he was elite.

Also, Jurich had very high credibility as far as recognizing coaching talent. He had twenty years of experience here consistently showing that. If I found out that Jurich had Mack at the top of his basketball coaching list, it would matter a lot to how I view the guy...

Since Tyra says him and TJ are "good friends" (barring firing Mark of course) maybe he talked to TJ and got his input on the who-to-hire thing.
;):p:eek:

"IF" VT and TJ are the good friends he claims, VT might be alright. I think there is as much chance of that as me flying the next moon mission, but I'm hopin' as hard as I can.

VT, it appears, is going to get a shot to prove himself. Gotta wish him the best for our sake.

Reactions: zipp
The person I spoke to was very matter of fact and was in the camp. If that is your litmus test, then consider yourself more optimistic!
Based upon what I was told in that same time frame - Mack was certainly on TJ’s radar, but he wasn’t the only guy at the top of that list. He was the only guy at the top that was viewed as a “sure to likely” get though.

Based upon what I was told in that same time frame - Mack was certainly on TJ’s radar, but he wasn’t the only guy at the top of that list. He was the only guy at the top that was viewed as a “sure to likely” get though.

That sounds about right.

Since that time Mack led Xavier to an Elite 8 and to its first #1 seed in school history. So I don’t think he’s done anything that would’ve soured Jurich’s evaluation of him.

I heard a rumor that as soon as Tyra is announced as permanent AD this week that Mack will be announced as BBC the next day. Anybody else heard this one?

I heard a rumor that as soon as Tyra is announced as permanent AD this week that Mack will be announced as BBC the next day. Anybody else heard this one?

All signs pointing to that. I’ve been told they are still hammering out details but things are mostly tied down. Most likely a 7 year deal.

...Since that time Mack led Xavier to an Elite 8 and to its first #1 seed in school history. So I don’t think he’s done anything that would’ve soured Jurich’s evaluation of him.
Damn, there's no limit to your abilities. You now speak for both the clown show AND Jurich...

Expectation is Wednesday now. So tomorrow-wednesday. Most likely no later, but Mack is coming so no worries.

The only thing that "bothers" me so far is there's no source for that but you...

HR is a solid poster and he has said the same. And BPGhost, who has been highly critical of the new administration, has also said something very similar. Believe what you want but I know what I was told.

If we're relying on hearsay, why would Jurich not have pursued Jay Wright? Deener said on his radio show last week that the Jurich and Wright families are close...

If we're relying on hearsay, why would Jurich not have pursued Jay Wright? Deener said on his radio show last week that the Jurich and Wright families are close...

Because Jay Wright was in the middle of a championship season when all that crap went down. He wasn’t going to walk away from that. Same reason Wright isn’t going to walk away now. He is in the Final 4 this year and returns his entire roster next season.

Because Jay Wright was in the middle of a championship season when all that crap went down. He wasn’t going to walk away from that. Same reason Wright isn’t going to walk away now. He is in the Final 4 this year and returns his entire roster next season.
I'm talking now not two years ago. You again speaking for Jurich? LOL...

As I said in a previous post - Mack was not the only one on TJ's list and, certainly not the only one at the top. Wright was on the list too - just not considered a likely get - as Mack was. I have no doubt that TJ would have had the conversation with Wright then - just like he would have it if he were still the AD today. The same goes for Donovan - who was considered at that point a stronger likelihood than Wright.

Reactions: zipp
As I said in a previous post - Mack was not the only one on TJ's list and, certainly not the only one at the top. Wright was on the list too - just not considered a likely get - as Mack was. I have no doubt that TJ would have had the conversation with Wright then - just like he would have it if he were still the AD today. The same goes for Donovan - who was considered at that point a stronger likelihood than Wright.

I’ve always heard that Donovan has no interest in returning to college because he despises recruiting. Would be interested to see if he ever evolves in that thought?

Last edited:
I’ve always heard that Donovan has no interest in returning to college because he despises recruiting. Would be interest to see if he ever evolves in that thought.
Now, the Einstein speaks for Billy the Kid.

Give it up, Ghost... This guy is better than both of us combined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT