ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is the extreme favorite...

It is clear Nike controls the movement of top players in the country. That is why Duke and UK get all the top players. I am not sure that Louisville would see that kind of result if they were with Nike.

Jurich made the best deal for the University of Louisville. Yes, Rick was well compensated but that is what the market demanded for a coach like Rick.

I am not convinced Louisville inability to get top players was shoe related. I think it was more about Pitino's view on freshman playing time. He was stubborn and said he didn't know how Cal does it. I firmly believe if Pitino embraced the one and done model he would have gotten players. He didn't and Louisville fans believed it was the right way to go. People are trying to change history.

Mack's 2017 class had 4-4 star kids in it, rated around the 10th best class.

I doubt that Xavier pops up on any of the pay for play radars. It's fairly impressive, all things considered.

Mack’s 2018 class is rated #50 by rivals and #58 by 24/7. It consists of three 3 star players. Also, one of Mack’s former players, Edmund Summers is listed as one who received money from ASM sports agency while still in school at Xavier. I would be one who would be concerned about his ability to consistently pull top 10-15 classes, which would be necessary to be competitive in the ACC.

Mack’s 2018 class is rated #50 by rivals and #58 by 24/7. It consists of three 3 star players. Also, one of Mack’s former players, Edmund Summers is listed as one who received money from ASM sports agency while still in school at Xavier. I would be one who would be concerned about his ability to consistently pull top 10-15 classes, which would be necessary to be competitive in the ACC.
All valid points. I'm curious about the class this year and any concerns by recruits about his future.

Also, I think there's a solid chance that it will be much easier to recruit here.

Reactions: TDredbird
Well one would assume he will be able to recruit somewhat better here than he did at Xavier but after he comes here and switches to Adidas he is going to see how difficult getting top talent can be even at a traditional top 6 or 7 program.

Well one would assume he will be able to recruit somewhat better here than he did at Xavier but after he comes here and switches to Adidas he is going to see how difficult getting top talent can be even at a traditional top 6 or 7 program.

I love how you believe Nike is just going to continue business as usual with the FBI watching.

Just wondering what Tony Bennett's UVA class was ranked?

Also Mack’s top assistant is heavily involved in the Nike AAU circuit, so I hope someone is doing their due diligence and not laying all their eggs in one basket. Xavier also has a 2019 commitment from one of the top SG’s in the country. Be interested to see how this would affect him if we do get Mack.

I love how you believe Nike is just going to continue business as usual with the FBI watching.
Yeah they are watching just as they did when WWW was sending players to UK a few years ago. Let me know when UK and Duke are no longer getting 5 star classes of top 15 players every year.

You mean the classes that just lost to a 16 seed in game one.

The other poster said to " compete in the ACC" my point was Bennett's class ranking to compete in the ACC. as the poster stated his concerns with Mack competing in the ACC

Just about every champ, maybe every champ has a 5 star player contributing in the rotation. So recruiting matters, no matter how else anybody tries to spin #'s/class ratings.

But then there's also the matter of evaluating team goals, as a fan. If you want to have a good program, a competitive one, that gives you some post season success to some capacity - or do you want to sleep with the top dogs of the game.

Considering everything that has gone down recently - the answer may not be as easy as it used to be.

I can do the research if you want. But I don't think Mack was a step up from those other guys, his predecessors.

I'm not critical of the X program, I'm talking about change and relative comparisons. He simply carried on what others before had put in place.

And those guys didn't go on to greatness anywhere else. Miller's probably come the closest, and his world's about to come crashing down.

Bottom line, being a good X coach is not an indicator of Mack accomplishing great things here. No disrespect to the X program intended...
True. I had the least expectations for Mack out of all his predecessors. I didn't think he was up to the task. Maybe that is why I am so high on him now. He has sold me over time. I don't think he would be the best hire here, but a very solid one.

Not sure how anyone can predict greatness from any coach other than the already proven greats.

I'm not sure anyone is going to hit the ground running at UofL given the current situation.

You mean the classes that just lost to a 16 seed in game one.

I wonder what UMBC’s class was ranked. Or Layola-Chicago, or Nevada, or Butler when they made back-to-back final fours. Good coaching and teamwork is what we are looking for, not recruiting service star rankings. I’ll take a Russ Smith over the Harrison twins every day of the week.

Mack's 2017 class had 4-4 star kids in it, rated around the 10th best class.

I doubt that Xavier pops up on any of the pay for play radars. It's fairly impressive, all things considered.
One who you likely didn't get to see was Naji Marshall who missed most of the game on Sunday due to an injury early in the game. A Denny type forward back in the day when Denny was getting unknown gems from down south. Large wing span and quick jumper.

Reactions: earsky
Yeah they are watching just as they did when WWW was sending players to UK a few years ago. Let me know when UK and Duke are no longer getting 5 star classes of top 15 players every year.

So you are of the belief that the FBI case is going make UK and Duke look clean? LOL, okay. That’s why they have hired Rice and she is taking recommendations from the leagues. Cause the FBI case is just going to take down a few Adidas schools that got too big for their britches. The fact is, this case is going to shed a negative light on ALL the major programs, which the NCAA cannot afford to penalize because it will cost them too much revenue. Nike’s influence is over.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860872/big-east-replace-1-done-2-none

Not sure how anyone can predict greatness from any coach other than the already proven greats.

I'm not sure anyone is going to hit the ground running at UofL given the current situation.
Spot on. To make matters worse, no one knows what more the NCAA has in store for us in terms of penalties and probation. We are in uncharted waters with a crew running the ship who do not have our best interests in mind.

I wonder what UMBC’s class was ranked. Or Layola-Chicago, or Nevada, or Butler when they made back-to-back final fours. Good coaching and teamwork is what we are looking for, not recruiting service star rankings. I’ll take a Russ Smith over the Harrison twins every day of the week.

Post of the day IMO

Add Preston Knowles to the list.

So you are of the belief that the FBI case is going make UK and Duke look clean?
Already told you how all this is going to play out with the NCAA. They will publicly thank the FBI for bringing this to their attention, blame it on the system itself, and then make some superficial rule changes instead of punishing the big fair haired Nike schools. Then Nike will retool and cheat to fit the new system.

And I will take Duke, North Carolina's and UK's recruiting classes over ours any time. Pitino attempted to recruit most of those players too until he finally figured out he was shut out from doing so then he apparently tried to go dirty too but did so with the amateurs at Adidas and paid the price.

And how many championships does UK own since our last in 2013? There is no question they have compiled more “talent” than anyone else in college basketball. How is that working out for them in March?

Again you are acting under the assumption that UK, Duke, UNC, et al will not be affected by the FBI case. They will. They know it. That is why UK has hired an NCAA defense law firm and why the NCAA is conducting this review with Rice. The problem is systematic and Nike’s monopoly or conspiracy as you believe it will be rendered null and void.

And how many championships does UK own since our last in 2013? There is no question they have compiled more “talent” than anyone else in college basketball. How is that working out for them in March?
5 of the last 9 NCAA championships belong to UK, Duke and UNC. End of story.

Is no one going to acknowledge the wildly offensive moniker liking most of Zipp’s posts? I mean we may disagree here but to make a moniker like that just to send a message is probably too far... let’s just agree to disagree on the subject.

Just wondering what Tony Bennett's UVA class was ranked?

Wow, I have to admit that I was astonished to discover that UVA class rankings for 2017 were #88 on scout and #98 on 24/7, consisting of two 3 stars. And equally surprised to learn that their 2018 class was ranked #73 on scout and #78 on 24/7 also consisting of two 3 stars. Maybe we should be pursuing Tony Bennett, imagine what he could do with the recruiting advantage he would have here.

Is no one going to acknowledge the wildly offensive moniker liking most of Zipp’s posts? I mean we may disagree here but to make a moniker like that just to send a message is probably too far... let’s just agree to disagree on the subject.

I did take notice. It’s sickening. I figured that it was likely a uk fan stalker or someone who is perturbed that Zipp refuses to go with the flow, in their way of thinking. Regardless, there’s no place for that and they need to grow up.

I did take notice. It’s sickening. I figured that it was likely a uk fan stalker or someone who is perturbed that Zipp refuses to go with the flow, in their way of thinking. Regardless, there’s no place for that and they need to grow up.

What is/was the moniker I'm not seeing it on my end?

5 of the last 9 NCAA championships belong to UK, Duke and UNC. End of story.
LMAO, odd that you arbitrarily chose the last 9. Why would that be? Because if you went to 10, it drops your number to 50 percent and that tenth year ago the champion was...Kansas. LOL
In that timeframe, Duke owns two, and UNC owns two. That’s four out of your five. Those two programs don’t stock their rosters with OADs like Kentucky. They also recruit development projects and role players - Just as we have done over the last 10 years or so with Rick Pitino. And we have exactly as many championships as Kentucky does with their talent accumulation. Louisville consistently ranks in the top 5-10 in class recruiting rankings prior to this year. They are consistently ranked in the top 10 to top 20 every year. But you expect more?

1) your inferiority complex towards Kentucky or Duke or UNC is kinda weird

2) There is no great recruiting disadvantage or gap and if there was one it is going bye-bye.

3) Your longing for Louisville to be one of 120+ Nike schools instead of one of the marquee Adidas schools is also kind of weird, actually it is really weird. Is it some sort of marketing brainwashing thing? Somehow you think the preference paid to UK, Duke, UNC, Oregon, Texas, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Florida, Syracuse, Ohio State, etc is going to be evenly dispersed if we join the club. That’s silly and illogical. We are not leaving Adidas for your beloved Nike. Grow up, deal with it, and quit being such a consumer. That makes you very basic.

Some moron going by the moniker “ZippsDeadDecayingMom” is following Zipp around and “liking” all of his posts.

That’s not only lame and distasteful, but probably an indicator of someone who needs a little counciling and unable to use their intellect to make a convincing counter-point.

Not sure how anyone can predict greatness from any coach other than the already proven greats...
Those are the legit home run hires and why you pursue them. You're buying hope and prayer with less.

And Louisville basketball is the stature to be able to make that hire. You may not be successful, but you attempt it...

I agree. Some things are just out of bounds and that is an example. Ridiculous.

Zipp has thick skin. I’m a little more concerned about the obsessive mindset of someone who takes the effort to create an account with that handle just so they can troll his posts by liking them all. That isn’t a compliment, a-hole who is probably reading - you are just a coward.

Reactions: Chapman123
Wow, I have to admit that I was astonished to discover that UVA class rankings for 2017 were #88 on scout and #98 on 24/7, consisting of two 3 stars. And equally surprised to learn that their 2018 class was ranked #73 on scout and #78 on 24/7 also consisting of two 3 stars. Maybe we should be pursuing Tony Bennett, imagine what he could do with the recruiting advantage he would have here.
Bennett is probably the best pure basketball coach in the game. And if pay-for-play implodes and OAD kids skip college, that will become even more of an advantage for him. We're shortsighted not giving that guy more consideration...

Bennett is probably the best pure basketball coach in the game. And if pay-for-play implodes and OAD kids skip college, that will become even more of an advantage for him. We're shortsighted not giving that guy more consideration...
He may be a great coach and even a great person but there's just something about the guy I don't care much for. I can't really put my finger on it either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT