ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville's 5 Toughest Football Games

I think UK is probably right in the middle (5, 6, or 7) of UofL's SOS, in trying to be as unbiased as possible. Obviously Auburn, FSU, and Clemson are ahead. Obviously (IMO), Houston, Samford, Wake, Syracuse are behind. I think UK is in the middle tier with NCSU, Pitt, BC, and UVa. I would concede that it's arguable that Houston is in the middle tier. I don't think NCSU is in the top tier (don't see them on Auburn/FSU level). While I think you'll beat UVa this year, they're more talented than they're often given credit for.

I think UofL is probably right in the middle (5, 6, or 7) of UK's SOS as well. Obviously, Auburn and Georgia are ahead. Obviously, Lafayette, Vandy, Charlotte, and EKU are behind. I think the middle tier is Missouri, UT, Miss St, Louisville, So Car, and Florida (and probably more or less in that order, though who knows how UF will be this year).

The CBS Top 128 has Auburn, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, NC St, Houston, UK, BC as the top eight, in that order. Louisville, at 25, plays three top 25 teams and is ranked higher than nine opponents. UK, at 68, is ranked ahead of three opponents, and plays four top 25 (including Louisville). Note that ULL is ranked 66. I don't put much stock in pre season polls, but it is interesting that CBS isn't aware of Kentucky's greatness.

The poll you're using has UK ranked lower than any other that's come out. They have our home opener Louisiana Lafayette ranked ahead of us and we're going to drum them by 3-4 TDs at least. CBS must've had a drunk form that list

Umm based upon your team was awful last year. . .and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that. Have to go back to year 1 of Joker and the end of the Old Man Brooks Era to find a UK team that wasn't a train wreck

Last edited:
I think that's a flawed argument given the relative SOS.

6. Kentucky (5-7 regular season)
15. BC (7-5 regular season, lost bowl game)
23. NCSU (7-5 regular season, won bowl game)
74. Pitt (6-6 regular season, lost bowl game)

I'm not saying UK was better or worse than BC, NCSU, or Pitt last year. But I think it's not unreasonable to think, at least, that UK could have gone 6-6 with Pitt's schedule.

The Thread was 5 toughest opponents....in reality you have to put those 5 schools on our schedule ahead of Kentucky...NC State won 8 Games....Clemson, FSU & Auburn are in stone...BC, Pitt and NC State were better last year IMO than Kentucky...at best UK would be the 6th best team....

The Thread was 5 toughest opponents....in reality you have to put those 5 schools on our schedule ahead of Kentucky...NC State won 8 Games....Clemson, FSU & Auburn are in stone...BC, Pitt and NC State were better last year IMO than Kentucky...at best UK would be the 6th best team....
Like I said, don't know if BC, Pitt, and NCSU were better than UK last year or not. But the fact that they went to bowls isn't the way to prove it, given differences in SOS (esp for Pitt).

ULL has been to a bowl I think 4 years in a row (same bowl game, and they've won every time!) but that doesn't mean that they'll be favored when we play them.

OK...put it this way...do you feel right now you can say that Kentucky is better than Pitt, BC and NC State...3 teams in P5 leagues -(not in a G5 league like ULL) & in Pitt case 7 straight Bowl games..and Pitt return Boyd and Connor

OK...put it this way...do you feel right now you can say that Kentucky is better than Pitt, BC and NC State...3 teams in P5 leagues -(not in a G5 league like ULL) & in Pitt case 7 straight Bowl games..and Pitt return Boyd and Connor
Again, I don't know how to say it slower:

1) Pitt, BC, and NCSU may well be better than Kentucky. They don't play each other, so it's hard to make direct comparisons. It's open for debate.

2) The fact that Pitt went bowling last year (at 6-6 with the #74 schedule), while UK did not (at 5-7 with the #6 schedule) is not strong evidence supporting the argument that Pitt is/was better than Kentucky.

Your opinion that UK is behind FSU, Auburn, Clemson, NCSU, BC, and Pitt is fine with me. Your supporting evidence, specifically that they went to bowls, while UK did not, is unimpressive, because it ignores the mitigating factor of schedule strength. That's all I'm saying.

No....more about the SoS argument to me is crutch at the P5 level...just me at that level you are pretty much what your record says you are...Bill Parcells saying

You disagree?
I'll respectfully decline to engage in what is almost certain to be a meaningless discussion. I bet I can give your talking points for you, and you mine for me. So what's the point?

You think UK sucked last year, and that Houston is a much better team. That's OK.

It's pretty funny, seeing the admittedly respectful posts from big blue fans trying so hard to get validation from U of L fans on their football team's quality.

Bottom line -- you guys have to start winning on the field. You haven't yet. Until you do, you can't expect to be taken seriously. Bowl games is a very low bar to attain. 12 out of 14 SEC schools played in bowl games last year. 12. You don't hear them talking about strength of schedule difficulties in getting to a bowl game.

Again, I don't know how to say it slower:

1) Pitt, BC, and NCSU may well be better than Kentucky. They don't play each other, so it's hard to make direct comparisons. It's open for debate.

2) The fact that Pitt went bowling last year (at 6-6 with the #74 schedule), while UK did not (at 5-7 with the #6 schedule) is not strong evidence supporting the argument that Pitt is/was better than Kentucky.

Your opinion that UK is behind FSU, Auburn, Clemson, NCSU, BC, and Pitt is fine with me. Your supporting evidence, specifically that they went to bowls, while UK did not, is unimpressive, because it ignores the mitigating factor of schedule strength. That's all I'm saying.

Just because UofK's strength of schedule was higher definitely does not make them better, or able to beat more teams than Pitt with their schedule. The games UofK managed to win last season weren't that impressive. Tennessee Martin, Ohio, Louisiana Monroe, Vanderbilt, and a miracle win over a mediocre middle of the pack (last season) South Carolina.

Now for Top 5 Toughest games this year.
1. Auburn
2.Florida State
3. Clemson
4.NC State
5. Pitt

Now saying that, UofK very well may be a tough match-up because it's played at the end of the year, it's a Rivalry, They're at home, and We don't know how injuries may effect either team. I would toss them up with Boston College at # 6 possibly but still give the nod to BC maybe for making a bowl game last season and being historically better than UofK. Making a bowl game is a good tie breaker.

At the same time, I probably should rank UofK at # 8 behind Virginia or #10 behind Wake Forest and Houston in which I think I will. Kentucky is #10 on our SOS this year.

If you don't like that, then beg your AD to join a conference in which you guys can actually have a better chance to compete, and win more games than the SEC. Strength of Schedule is a sorry excuse to hang your hat on for losing games and trying to make 5-7 look less depressing.

Last edited:
I think UK is probably right in the middle (5, 6, or 7) of UofL's SOS, in trying to be as unbiased as possible. Obviously Auburn, FSU, and Clemson are ahead. Obviously (IMO), Houston, Samford, Wake, Syracuse are behind. I think UK is in the middle tier with NCSU, Pitt, BC, and UVa. I would concede that it's arguable that Houston is in the middle tier. I don't think NCSU is in the top tier (don't see them on Auburn/FSU level). While I think you'll beat UVa this year, they're more talented than they're often given credit for.

I think UofL is probably right in the middle (5, 6, or 7) of UK's SOS as well. Obviously, Auburn and Georgia are ahead. Obviously, Lafayette, Vandy, Charlotte, and EKU are behind. I think the middle tier is Missouri, UT, Miss St, Louisville, So Car, and Florida (and probably more or less in that order, though who knows how UF will be this year).

Johnny I hate to admit it but that was a reasonable, well reasoned post.

It's pretty funny, seeing the admittedly respectful posts from big blue fans trying so hard to get validation from U of L fans on their football team's quality.

Bottom line -- you guys have to start winning on the field. You haven't yet. Until you do, you can't expect to be taken seriously. Bowl games is a very low bar to attain. 12 out of 14 SEC schools played in bowl games last year. 12. You don't hear them talking about strength of schedule difficulties in getting to a bowl game.
Agree 100% that it comes down to winning games. UK has been the 13th best program in the SEC since expansion. I never said making a bowl game was a high bar. I was debating logic with a poster who I felt was being illogical, that's all.

<eagerly awaits the reply that UK is actually the 14th best program in the SEC since expansion>

Last edited:
Johnny, your banana's if you think UK isn't the 14th best program in the SEC since expansion.

You're welcome...although, I couldn't articulate why Vandy would be 13; I really don't care enough to think about it...I'll just rely on my general contempt for UK as my basis of reasoning and leave it at that.

Back to the OP and 5 toughest for the season..AU, Clemson, FSU, UVA, NCST.

UVA at 4 due to loss last year, FSU to 3 because no Winston.

I think UK will be a blowout...30-3

Somebody should alert the CFP selection committee that SoS is irrelevant when comparing teams that don't play each other.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/frequently-asked-questions

Among P5....what bit TCU and Baylor in the butt was tOSU had that 13th game.

When comparing Boston College-(who crushed Southern Cal) and Kentucky who best win was South Carolina who would you say is the tougher game....FTR...I feel Kentucky will be a very tough game so we are splitting hairs

A little off topic PE, but what ultimately cost TCU and Baylor was they weren't Texas and Oklahoma in my opinion.

If the the teams had been swapped there is no way one of them doesn't make the playoff over OSU last year.

I could see that as well but not having a Conference Title Game didn't help

You're right, but that was probably the committees fall back.
They were wanting to make a huge splash with the first playoff, and Ohio St is a bigger draw than TCU or Baylor.

TCU probably had more reason to be upset than Baylor. TCU was playing as good as anyone at the end of the year.

I think the middle tier is Missouri, UT, Miss St, Louisville, So Car, and Florida (and probably more or less in that order, though who knows how UF will be this year).

You haven't beaten UF since the Middle Ages so how hard is it to know they're still better than UK? Not hard at all.

You haven't beaten UF since the Middle Ages so how hard is it to know they're still better than UK? Not hard at all.
All I said was that UF is in the middle tier of UK opponents (along with UofL). And I think it's totally fair to wonder if they'll be the UF that recruits in the top 10 every year or the UF that struggled mightily last year. Lots of unknowns.

Well,the only game that matters is the first game every year, lose it and you are already behind in the hunt for a national championship. Football is not like basketball as far as errors and loss is concerned. So hell yes the Auburn, FSU and Clemson games are the Big ones.

All I said was that UF is in the middle tier of UK opponents (along with UofL). And I think it's totally fair to wonder if they'll be the UF that recruits in the top 10 every year or the UF that struggled mightily last year. Lots of unknowns.

Fair enough. Listen, I haven't chimed in too much with UK football fans lately.

Unlike those in the thread saying leave the SEC etcetera, I say no, once and for all commit to football and to WINNING in the SEC. It's the only way UK will ever be consistently 8-4. Because I love college football, I'd love for that to happen.

Hate to say, IMO, Stoops shows no sign of being a living symbol of the type of commitment I believe is required. Best of luck with all that, I'm not a fan of the blue by any stretch, but I would like to see high quality football program down there (and I expect U of L to continue its commitment to rising now that it's already raised into a P5 conference (that's uhm, pretty remarkable when you think about it, with all of the realignment only TCU and UL from among the have-nots have really raised their station).

Reactions: SoulSr
Fair enough. Listen, I haven't chimed in too much with UK football fans lately.

Unlike those in the thread saying leave the SEC etcetera, I say no, once and for all commit to football and to WINNING in the SEC. It's the only way UK will ever be consistently 8-4. Because I love college football, I'd love for that to happen.

Hate to say, IMO, Stoops shows no sign of being a living symbol of the type of commitment I believe is required. Best of luck with all that, I'm not a fan of the blue by any stretch, but I would like to see high quality football program down there (and I expect U of L to continue its commitment to rising now that it's already raised into a P5 conference (that's uhm, pretty remarkable when you think about it, with all of the realignment only TCU and UL from among the have-nots have really raised their station).

Gotta throw Utah in their as well...they been consistent winners as well.

PITT has been to 7 straight bowls.

They have multiple watered down 6-6 seasons during that span. It is fair to wonder if they were all that much different than teams that barely missed bowls with 5 or 6 wins themselves those seasons.

But the 7 straight appearances and tradition well prior to that makes Pitt feel like a more capable opponent than UK. We can cherry pick a bowl appearance here or there and throw them out if we want, but the string of 7 straight is an accomplishment to some extent. A couple of those teams were top 15. They've churned out a # of NFL prospects @ skilled positions and always have size.

Pitt did go to the bathroom on UK in a bowl game without a coach. Not necessarily a key point here but still a side note that should help keep things in perspective. Should probably tread a little more lightly when calling them out, JMO.

I think it's funny UK fans get baffled when UL fans don't rank them in the top 5 of toughest opponents on their schedule....lol. Dude have you seen your program.? To answer what has UL done that makes them worlds apart from UK?......Pretty much everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT