ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Volleyball defeats Stanford

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Claire Chaussee's 19 kills and Aiko Jones' 12 kills and eight blocks helped #3 Louisville volleyball team beat #9 Stanford three sets to one in the first-ever meeting between the teams Saturday night in Maples Pavilion.

The Cards (not the Cardinal)won in sets of 26-24, 27-25, 14-25, 25-13. Louisville (9-1 ) has now beat five nationally-ranked opponent this season. UofL hit .222 as a team but had 14 blocks and three aces. Amaya Tillman had eight kills with four blocks and Cara Cresse had three kills and 10 blocks. Raquel Lazaro notched a double-double with a match-high 39 assists to go along with her 11 digs and three blocks. Elena Scott had an ace and match-high 19 digs.

A big time win for the Cards who were playing just a couple of days after beating UK in Lexington and then flying across country to play in a different time zone.

The Cards travel to Coral Gables next to face Miami on Friday.

--sonja--

Last edited:
This was a big win particularly considering the Cards beat a tough Kentucky team in Lexington and then shortly thereafter flew across the country to play Stanford in Palo Alta starting the game at 10 PM. It is great to see how well Cresse is starting to play near the net. Now on to Miami to play the Canes.

You beat your in state rival on the road and then you turn around fly cross country to beat a dang good Stanford team. We are not only a great team but one that is tough and mentally prepared.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
There has been a lot of improvement in a short period since the loss to Ohio State. We obviously have another contender if we keep on improving on top of what we already have our chances look good. I still am a little bit lost on the timing of substitutions, I have figured out it has to do with the serve. I really like Chaussee, DeBeer, Scott and Cressee and I don’t know why they ever come out but I guess when they rotate the serve there are better servers. I don’t know why they don’t televise more volleyball it is really an exciting spor

Reactions: FlavRunit
Some players are frontline players - not servers, defenders- see Cresse, Tillman, etc. Personally I live to see a couple of other outside hitters vs Jones. This is only because she has been a bit inconsistent and you have to have others ready to step in. This team goes as the blockers go - great defense at the net and it really gets this team going. Hopefully a few one-sided matches will get Sydni more court time. Another 6’5” player at the net when Cresse is out would be a huge advantage .

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Thanks Sonja! I think back now to my premature comments after the loss to OSU, where I pined that “we were not at the same level as the 2021 team”.

These ladies are looking very good right now!

OSU is good. UofL didn’t play very well. It happens. This team is still evolving as well.

There has been a lot of improvement in a short period since the loss to Ohio State. We obviously have another contender if we keep on improving on top of what we already have our chances look good. I still am a little bit lost on the timing of substitutions, I have figured out it has to do with the serve. I really like Chaussee, DeBeer, Scott and Cressee and I don’t know why they ever come out but I guess when they rotate the serve there are better servers. I don’t know why they don’t televise more volleyball it is really an exciting spor
I believe most matches are streamed on ESPN2, just like our baseball games.

Most can be found on ESPN+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT