ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Volleyball with five-set win over Ga. Tech

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
This may have been the most exciting match of the year for Louisville Volleyball.

On the road in Atlanta, GA... Outside hitter Claire Chaussee had a career-high 27 kills and her fourth double-double of the season adding 10 digs to lead the #5 University of Louisville volleyball to a 17-25, 17-25, 25-14, 25-19, 15-11 win over #13 Georgia Tech.

An incredible comeback after dropping the first two sets to the Yellow Jackets.

With the win, Louisville goes to 23-2 and 14-1 in ACC play. The Cards hit .284 on the match with two aces and 7 blocks. Other double-digit kill performers were Aiko Jones, who had 12 kills, and Amaya Tillman with 11 kills, and three blocks. Libero Elena Scott had 25 digs to tie her career high. Setter Raquel Lazaro ended with 57 assists, nine digs and two blocks.

Louisville heads to Chapel Hill for a rematch with North Carolina on Sunday at 1 p.m

--sonja--

I am not sure there is any available evidence to support my observation, but the manner in which a WVB team like UL comes back down two sets against a formidable opponent away …….. that can result in a huge boost in both confidence, as well as increased focus in these matches.

I agree. I thought they were toast last night. They struggled a bit vs UNC the other might as well. I just think they are adjusting to getting Anna back and just have been a little flat. I’ve said it before, but, it is the defense that separates this team from others. Blocking and digging are both amazing.

There were a few posts that were dubious about inserting Anna DeBeer in the line up after such a long absence. I am very sure that Coach Kelly would not have placed Anna on the back row if she had any doubts of ability to handle herself in a game situation. Her 10 digs were instrumental in the win. In the 4th set, Anna contributed 3 kills which led the Cards to win.

Claire Chausee showed why she is definitely an All American with her play in this match, particularly in the 5th set with 5 or 6 kills in a 15 point set. She is something to watch, almost along the lines of Anna Stevenson. It sure was a shot in the arm for the Cards to have Claire return as a graduate. I am not sure how good this team is or how far they may advance in the tournament, but I do know they have shown the grit and composure in tough games and in unfriendly environments to win.

Finally, accolades to the tough and talented Georgia Tech team. Last night, there were some rallies that can only be described as awesome with incredible saves by both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
Rallies - yes there were. It was fantastic volleyball. Both of those teams should see the Sweet Sixteen (at a minimum).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT