ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorns not looking good.

BrewCrewCard

One-Star Poster
Oct 12, 2013
Arkansas pretty much having there way I don;t see Texas coming back from this based on how sad there offense is. Texas board is giving it to Strong and Watson.

To be honest their defense doesn't look all that great either. And I guess the untimely time outs weren't just a Louisville thing.

Yeah, had to laugh when they burned a timeout right out of the gate tonight! My exact words - well, been there before!

The announcers spent a lot of the 4th Quarter talking about a certain QB that now plays for the Minnesota Vikings...Classic during a Texas - Arkansas Game...lol

Charlie will get defense going in a year or two. Offense is not going to be that easy. Teddy is a once in a lifetime find and without QB like him they will continue to suck.

Charlie, while he is a good coach always has that "lost" look on the sidelines especially during a blowout loss. If I didn't know any better I'd swear he is channel surfing on that headset trying to find his favorite song on the radio! Like he is always listening in on something and saying very little to whoever is talking on the other end. Bizarre to watch!

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
Charlie, while he is a good coach always has that "lost" look on the sidelines especially during a blowout loss. If I didn't know any better I'd swear he is channel surfing on that headset trying to find his favorite song on the radio! Like he is always listening in on something and saying very little to whoever is talking on the other end. Bizarre to watch!
“You would’ve thought we’d been better prepared,” Strong said. “It’s a mystery.

blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/12/gameday-central-texas-arkansas-renew-rivalry-in-texas-bowl/#26321101=0

This post was edited on 12/30 7:36 AM by SpotHogCard

This post was edited on 12/30 11:05 AM by SpotHogCard

Originally posted by had1- 2manyCardfan:
To be honest their defense doesn't look all that great either. And I guess the untimely time outs weren't just a Louisville thing.
He threw 11 off of a team and is in year 1 in a tough league, taking over a bad team from the year prior. If Texas will give him time, he will have success. He knows how to evaluate talent, look at the Cards this year! Charlie really does build a program the right way.

PS - I am thrilled to have CBP back.

6-7.

That's about what I expected.

Will be interesting to see what their schedule looks like next year, and how he does.

The clean things up game bought him this year - they will need 9 wins or be a very competitive 7-8 win team to keep their faith.

Charlie didn't realize how good he had it at Louisville. He already had the program built up pretty good. He was going into the ACC where he could compete for Championships and continue to recruit better players. And he jumped ship to Texas. Texas has seen its best days but they are a great program in name only right now.

But Louisville made out just fine because I think Petrino is a better fit moving forward that Strong would have been because Grantham is a good defensive coordinator and you know Petrino will always churn out good offenses.

No excuses in my book for Texas. CCS had higher rated recruits/players than he ever had here in Louisville. Like former coaches that left Louisville for perceived better jobs, I think he's in over his head.

Anyone catch that Texas player jaw with Charlie? Charlie gave it back, then walked away looking exhausted. I both laughed and felt sorry for him at the same time.

Originally posted by tkdcoach:
Bad link
If you copy this link into a browser it will work.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/12/gameday-central-texas-arkansas-renew-rivalry-in-texas-bowl/#26321101=0

Snippet: WAY less than 50%

AdvoCare Texas Bowl (Dec. 29): Arkansas 31, Texas 7

Record: 6-7
Texas quarterback Tyrone Swoopes (18) runs to
avoid the tackle of Arkansas linebacker Brooks Ellis (51) during the
first quarter of the AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl at NRG Stadium, Monday,
Dec. 29, 2014, in Houston. ( Karen Warren / Houston Chronicle )

• • •

The anger was visceral, and it wore burnt orange. For the first time
all night, someone in Texas colors looked intimidating, and ready to
unleash a furious torrent of pent-up energy.

Unfortunately for the Longhorns, the AdvoCare Texas Bowl was over by
then. And coach Charlie Strong's spitting fury was too late to save them
from a 31-7 shellacking by Arkansas at NRG Stadium.

"We've got to get the pride back in the program," Strong said,
visibly seething with almost every syllable. "Texas has got to mean
something. Right now, it doesn't mean much."

Monday, it once again meant being on the losing end of a blowout. In
front of a bowl-record crowd of 71,115, UT bungled just about every
opportunity it had, and Arkansas didn't provide many.

It all resulted in a defeat that ended the Longhorns' season with a
losing record (6-7) for only the second time in 17 years. Five of their
losses came by at least 20 points, marking the first time in the
121-year history of the program UT had ever suffered so many such
indignities in one season.

And against the Razorbacks (7-6), the latest one happened in
spectacularly inept fashion. The Longhorns managed only 59 yards of
total offense, the lowest output of any FBS team in the country this
season. It barely eclipsed UT's record low of 50, set in 1943.

"You would've thought we'd been better prepared," Strong said. "It's a mystery."

Yep.

Strong learned the lessons

Petrino, Johnelle, and Coach Schnellenberger learned. Grass is not always greener.

In 16 seasons Mack Brown only had one losing record, and we all know he was chased out of town. Charlie is one for one in the losing record department. He better pick it up quickly or the family might be packing up and moving again in a year or two...to a destination they really, really, really, really want to be.

I just visited one of the Texas boards and I had to copy this quote from a Texas fan:

"The last time I saw a offense like this was the first half of the OU game and it was OU. I honestly to not know what this staff did for the last 3 weeks other than to circle jerk each other. The simple fact that strong is some kind of world class motivator has been thrown out the window, this team came out flat, nobody was jumping around, no pushing on the field, no fire."

Wow.

Originally posted by CardX:

Anyone catch that Texas player jaw with Charlie? Charlie gave it back, then walked away looking exhausted. I both laughed and felt sorry for him at the same time.
Yes, I did. That surprised me. That would NOT have been allowed here. I'm at a loss to understand why he allowed it last night. Maybe season fatigue. I'm sure the losses are harder to live with, given the entitled environment around that program, than they were here.

I don;t feel sorry one bit for the " i am bigger than the program" attitude he had while here he could not wait to leave. I am fine with his choice to pursue bigger and better his decision. But what really pissed me off he took 2 stud defensive line UL recruits with him to Texas and welcomed them with open arms. When he left Florida to come to UL there were plenty of folks saying Charlie may be bringing a few UF recruits with him that he recruited. He quickly addressed that saying he would not poach UF recruits in any matter. So it was Ok for him to do this at UofL but not for Florida. I have a problem with that. That is how much he thought of UL and the school and the man (TJ) that gave him his first head coaching job after so many SEC schools and others did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT