ADVERTISEMENT

Living in the Red Zone

the artist FKA zipp

4500+
Gold Member
May 29, 2022
What that means in a moment…

I updated a chart in this thread with the March 31 ULAA financial results. Here are the data showing the rolling change in ULAA net position. It uses a 24-month moving average (MA), and the data points are annualized. That is, the 24-mo MA for each is divided by two.

Net-Pos-Roll-24-mos.jpg

Change in net position for a time period is calculated as revenues minus expenses. It’s the closest gauge of “profit” for a non-profit entity. In U of L’s case, revenues are uneven over the year, so you have to focus on 12-month or year-over-year changes.

To get the quickest read on a change in trend, you want to simply examine data points with no smoothing, no MAs. However, unsmoothed 12-month numbers show a lot of variability, so I’m using a two year MA. That means you might have to wait a little longer to spot a trend.

Since the above plot is a DECLINE in net position, lower values are better. The average of all the values on this chart continues to run slightly over $8 million annually, that is, an $8 million average decline. The data points since Josh Heird took over average $8.3 million, and his last four average $6.5 million. This could be a slight trend in the right direction, and it could simply mean we are bottoming out.

So what’s “living in the red zone” about? Net position is declining consistently, but it’s still positive. We’re solvent, but we’re not very liquid. You see that vividly when you look at cash, a parameter we can all relate to.

Here’s a progression of ULAA cash balances on the last seven balance statements I have on file. Tyra called this “working capital,” and it’s probably close to what you or I would think of as a checking account balance. Josh Heird arrived in December 2021, so these are all his numbers…

3/31/2022: (4,939,633)
5/31/2022: (6,103,915)
6/30/2022: 10,322,000 - Annual Report
7/31/2022: (18,161,390)
9/30/2022: (71,041)
12/31/2022: 4,728,609
3/31/2023: (12,482,079)

I don’t have a full set of monthly values because I don’t ask for them, and you don’t really need them for this discussion. ULAA has operated for much of the last year with a significantly negative cash balance. I can locate ONE negative cash balance on prior financial reports dating back almost twenty years, and that one was recent as well (2021).

I was told by U of L when these values first turned negative that it was temporary, a “timing issue.” That’s obviously not true. Athletics is in serious financial straits and probably attempts to mask the problem. They certainly aren’t talking about this situation proactively. Instead, ULAA has turned balance sheet cash into something of an abstraction.

Anyone here who operates a large business can comment… Ours is not a situation of little or no cash; how would you run your business with a large negative bank balance? In my opinion, there must be some additional source of funding that’s disguised or absent from the balance sheet. The losses are apparent in ULAA’s equity or net position as I discussed above, but I can’t explain how you operate with a bank account that’s usually underwater millions of dollars…

Last edited:
Zipp always appreciate your breakdown. I agree the financial situation of athletics is not great right now. In large part how they treat their customer fan base. I have 11 football tickets, two of which are in the PNC club and can't even get a parking pass. Hell, that's why I bought that one from you last year. By the way, if you get one this year I'd love to get it. But that is just ridiculous. And Josh operates in the shadows very much like our basketball coach so we will see how that goes.

Not to get OT, but sorry I couldn’t offer a pass this season. It’s obviously a good sign that so many people are returning to football.

Your experience with football tickets and parking isn’t unusual. It’s often hard to explain how U of L makes decisions like yours. Just understand they’re not picking on you personally.

U of L’s financial mess is not Heird’s fault, only to the extent he can’t fix it with time. He was dealt a terrible hand coming in the door, and I’m trying to identify if that improves and by how much. U of L doesn’t help with that process, they would rather we didn’t ask questions…

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Hmmmmmm, maybe we should "take" money from Frankfort like the other state schools do and quit worrying about this crap. Just a thought from a friend. What the hell the tax payers in the state won't care because they already pony up (get my cuteness here) for the other state schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT