ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky and ACC/SEC.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
On the Notre Dame board a poster brought up an interesting point. His opinion was that Kentucky would not be undefeated if it had played in the ACC instead of the SEC. I think the NCAA Tournament has proven that other than Kentucky the SEC is pretty much garbage this year. And then I responded by saying if you look at it other than Kentucky is there any other SEC team that is even close to the same level as a Duke, UNC, Notre Dame, NC State, Louisville or Virginia? If Kentucky were in the ACC they'd be playing those teams instead of Georgia or Ole Miss. And also I think there are a lot of ACC teams like Clemson, Pitt or Miami that probably would or could have made the NCAA Tournament much easier playing in a conference other than the ACC.

What are you guys' thoughts on it?

It's pretty obvious that the ACC is a better conference, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Kentucky is going to have to beat 4 good teams in a row to close the deal and if they do, nobody in the national media is going to downplay the achelievement because of the conference they play in. They trounced UNC, Kansas, and UCLA. I think they probably would have gotten clipped a couple of times in the ACC had they played the same schedule we did.

Originally posted by SchmidtyNole:
On the Notre Dame board a poster brought up an interesting point. His opinion was that Kentucky would not be undefeated if it had played in the ACC instead of the SEC. I think the NCAA Tournament has proven that other than Kentucky the SEC is pretty much garbage this year. And then I responded by saying if you look at it other than Kentucky is there any other SEC team that is even close to the same level as a Duke, UNC, Notre Dame, NC State, Louisville or Virginia? If Kentucky were in the ACC they'd be playing those teams instead of Georgia or Ole Miss. And also I think there are a lot of ACC teams like Clemson, Pitt or Miami that probably would or could have made the NCAA Tournament much easier playing in a conference other than the ACC.

What are you guys' thoughts on it?
I would lean towards agreeing with the ND poster.It could be argued that it's completely speculative to say that,but there is some objectivity knowing that there are stronger teams in the ACC just based off of RPI alone.

I'd be willing to bet that UK would have at least a loss or 2 playing in the ACC. Without trying to sound like an SEC football guy, it's a lot different when you have to play multiple true road games in conference against top 25 teams as opposed to having the pitiful conference schedule that UK had this year. UK's toughest road game in conference was against an unranked LSU team and the only top 25 team in the SEC (Arkansas) they didn't have to play on the road.

Imagine if they would have played Duke's conference schedule for example. They would have had conference road games at NC State, # 6 Louisville, # 8 Notre Dame, # 2 Virginia, Syracuse, # 19 North Carolina not to mention home games against Miami, Notre Dame, North Carolina and Syracuse. Then played Notre Dame again in the conference tournament.

It is what it is but the comparisons are staggering.

Well it doesn't really matter because UK doesn't play in the ACC and is undefeated right now, but yeah I think they would have at least 1 loss if not more if they did. The SEC was horribly weak this season. It is usually a 2 league team with UK and mostly Florida but Florida was terrible this year and the other teams were pretty bad as well.

Dont matter how strong or weak SEC was this season only one team from SEC matters and thats UK. Because I guarantee you right now we will win the title this year.

Blue Cat, I hope you're not a big drinker, if so you will be medicating yourself heavily to kill the pain. UK's weak schedule will no doubt come back and bite them in the ass.

"Blue Cat, I hope you're not a big drinker, if so you will be medicating yourself heavily to kill the pain. UK's weak schedule will no doubt come back and bite them in the ass.

Agreed...Those will be some Big Blue Tears.

link

Originally posted by mwatson61:
Blue Cat, I hope you're not a big drinker, if so you will be medicating yourself heavily to kill the pain. UK's weak schedule will no doubt come back and bite them in the ass.Slapd!cks just C&P this stuff from one year to the next. No one will beat LPT until they do. Then it's WUNY.

No doubt LPT would have losses in the ACC. They play in a $hit basketball conference by choice. In a year like last year, they wouldn't have even made the tourney playing in a legit conference.

Any records or results they achieve in basketball should have a $hit basketball conference asterisk next to it.

"Elite program", my a$$...

ACC has 2 of the top 5 seeds in the Tourney so yeah we may have lost one or two. Still may, Duke is right there with us. Heck, if Booker doesn't come out of his slump we could drop the next one. We all know anything can and will happen in the Tourney.
Good luck tonight.

Originally posted by Blue Power Cat:
Dont matter how strong or weak SEC was this season only one team from SEC matters and thats UK. Because I guarantee you right now we will win the title this year.
We?

Are you Derek Willis? You aren't really needed for anything except GPA and so you all can have some stiff to trot out on SR. night in another year or two.

You guys are probably right, if the Cats played in the Acc they might not be undefeated! But they still have a tremendous amount of talent on that team! Would it surprise anyone if they won the National Champioship? 40-0 is great but it's really about winning the title. Good luck tonight

Probally will have a loss but guess what they will still have the most talent. All it would do is knock us down another notch in the league . our recruiting is not like Duke, Nc let alone Uk . Let's just worry about Rick getting us in position to win the ACC rather than what Uk will do.considering more likely they are about to win another one again.

Originally posted by REDFISTFURY3:
Probally will have a loss but guess what they will still have the most talent. All it would do is knock us down another notch in the league . our recruiting is not like Duke, Nc let alone Uk . Let's just worry about Rick getting us in position to win the ACC rather than what Uk will do.considering more likely they are about to win another one again.
How about Rick getting us in position to win a title,which he did 2 years ago.Not fresh enough for you?We are not uk,nor do we want to be,for the bezillionth time.

Of course you do. That's what I like about KY fans. Nor course I remember UK fans saying they would win the NIT, but they drew a tough #16 seed. They list to Huggy when he had one top 100 player on the roster. They also were eliminated by a team that finished 9th in the Big East regular season. We'll just play this out if you don't mind and see what happens. And there's always that probation that follows every title that KY won for 60 years until Rick came. Enjoy following your student athletes on their way to even bigger paychecks. They came to KY for the money and they will leave for more money.

The committee got it wrong giving 5 bids to the sec when it should have been 2. The acc only got 6 and 5 are still in it. Kentucky has ten guys on the roster that could have been on a NBA or d league this year while the rest of the sec combined probably doesn't have that. The Mac is better than the sec minus Kentucky. Kentucky has one of the most talented teams of the past 20 years so it is there's to lose but playing in the sec hasn't prepared them the way playing in the acc, big10 or pac 10 would have, but Kentucky is the only sec school that values basketball.

I think that the SEC has a fair amount of talent. Fans just cannot get behind their teams like they do for football. The biggest edge in the ACC is having four active HOF coaches. LSU has recruited two big time players for next year. Unfortunately one was ours. There was a time at the half way mark a couple of seasons ago, when UL women were out drawing almost half the SEC men's teams. We only see the crowds when they play KY. I'm really surprised that Florida doesn't do a better job. It's not like their football team is doing much.

Originally posted by lwbb:
Well i think the red birds will start the tears flowing today ...
So much for those thoughts. Care for that crow heated up or are you just going to dry up and disappear like most of the low life trolls after they've been had?

Those are the 2 big reasons - lack of overall excitement/support and a complete lack of good coaching compared to other P5 conferences. You have Donovan and Calipari, and Pearl coming back will help, but after that it falls off a cliff.

Originally posted by KRJ1975:
Those are the 2 big reasons - lack of overall excitement/support and a complete lack of good coaching compared to other P5 conferences. You have Donovan and Calipari, and Pearl coming back will help, but after that it falls off a cliff.
And that's because most ALL the SEC programs only really care about football. That's just the way it is in the SEC. Basketball is just a time killer for most of the SEC members. Most don't give two flips about basketball. It's football first then baseball for most with basketball coming in 3rd.

Yeah, when you have a bunch of ADs who focus on football 90% of the time, that's what happens. Basketball is an afterthought at most SEC schools. Even Florida, who's national success over the last 10 years takes a back seat to nobody, turns it's attention to spring football before basketball even ends.

From another angle...Duke was undefeated heading into conference play also. If they were in the SEC, they probably would be undefeated and wearing undefeated t-shirts too. If UK wins it all, then it is clearly deserved, but until then, I think their schedule is too light for nominating them as the best team ever.

Hey, LWBB...Does that moniker stand for Loser With Blue Balls? Ah well, he's probably run back home by now.

UK had close games with non tournament Texas A & M, and wash outs Mississippi and LSU. Imagine if they played at Duke or at UNC instead

"Only one team matters". That comment us the exactly why UK is so despised in the SEC. The only time they aren't hated is during football season when they are actually the butt of all jokes in the SEC. They buy players and don't educate anyone. They are so far behind UL in facilities, football, baseball and virtually every women's sport along with raising funds, that they will never catch up. Now they are falling behind even in ACT scores. They have become a one trick pony and still think they are on top somehow. It would really sad to see the demise our a state school, if it wasn't for their arrogance. I was watching the crowd at the WSU and Kansas game and could not find but a couple of T-shirts. It reminds me of the Alabama poster who complained about UK's high school stadium. "I thought that this was SEC football"

UL having some 16 future post season events at our facilities shows how far we have come. The more events we have here, the more the word spreads. As it has for six consecutive decades the NCAA will swoop in again and another embarrassment will come down on the state. After taking ten years with Syracuse and wirking back 20 years with North CAROLINA, it will probably be a while.

We've heard the 40-0 stuff forever and it has been stopped by 9th place UConn, 6th place in conference WVA, a UConn again team without a single McDonalds and even the worst seed in the NIT. It would be hard to lose with a team of nine McDonalds who had five top ten rankings, but as Cal did at Memphis, he can do again. You see he can't coach and when he loses he is never hesitatant to blame someone else.

Win or lose he will show up at the draft to take credit for players who worked for 15 years to get where they are. It kills me to see credit not go to the actual coaches who did the work. Čal's job is to take whatever WWW decidedes to send him and make sure the cars and money arrive in time.

West Virginia finished 2nd in the BE in 2010, won the conference tournament and was ranked #6 in the final regular season AP poll. Quit making stuff up. The ironic thing is you accuse everyone else here of lying because facts don't fit your hateful agenda. It must be depressing to be you. If you're going to post made up shit, don't bother.

West Virginia lost to uk in the 2010-11 tourney. They beat uk in 2009-10 after finishing 2nd in the Beast and winning the conference tourney.

There's one thing I think everyone should consider, and of course the media aren't covering it: how unflinchingly awful Coach K will look if Duke doesn't win a title this year. After all, his team has been through the gauntlet in the ACC AND has 8 McDonald's all-Americans left on that roster. If they don't win the title how can he overcome such an underachievement?

I think UK would have at least 2 losses if they were in the ACC, which they obviously aren't. Just like I think FSU would've lost before the BCS Playoff if they had played in the SEC. Just different levels of competition every week. I still think Kentucky probably cuts down the nets in April but Nova was a first weekend example that if you're not battle-tested throughout the regular season and conference tourney, you could slip up and end your season quick.

Princeton women were 31-0, then play Maryland in ncaa tournament, and lose by 15. Not apples to apples, I understand, but I do think the UK team and fans may have some over confidence due to a soft schedule

Originally posted by ItsintheCards:
UK had close games with non tournament Texas A & M, and wash outs Mississippi and LSU. Imagine if they played at Duke or at UNC instead
Yes, imagine if they actually played UNC... oh, wait... they did.
wink.r191677.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously, though, I know what you are saying. Yes, if UK played in the ACC, or if the SEC were anywhere near the ACC in basketball, would they be undefeated? Probably not. But they still have played plenty of tough teams earlier in the year to prepare, and they still have to win out.

40-0 would be a heck of an accomplishment. Best team ever? No. Best team this year... beyond a doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT