ADVERTISEMENT

Jurich interview

the fan base will be in an uproar.
We are already in an uproar because Tom Jurich did more during his time as AD than any in the history of the ULAD and he was fired by a BOT that does not have the best interest in mind for the ULAD. The ULAD is now controlled by a majority of people who have NO ties to the University in any capacity. We ALL know what that means. The ULAD will become a non factor across the board because of the road blocks that are now in place to ensure the ULAD never succeeds again. This years basketball team is going to be the best team UofL puts on the court for the next 10+ years and maybe even longer. As long as Petrino continues to fall short, then he'll be safe if he doesn't decide to leave. All the other coaches who feel betrayed by Jurich being fired will move on. The ULAD as we knew it is dead. You're damn right we're in an uproar. We have every right to be. How would you feel if the UKAD was controlled by a BOT majority that held degrees from universities other than UofK? You would be pissed and rightfully so.

We are already in an uproar because Tom Jurich did more during his time as AD than any in the history of the ULAD and he was fired by a BOT that does not have the best interest in mind for the ULAD. The ULAD is now controlled by a majority of people who have NO ties to the University in any capacity. We ALL know what that means. The ULAD will become a non factor across the board because of the road blocks that are now in place to ensure the ULAD never succeeds again. This years basketball team is going to be the best team UofL puts on the court for the next 10+ years and maybe even longer. As long as Petrino continues to fall short, then he'll be safe if he doesn't decide to leave. All the other coaches who feel betrayed by Jurich being fired will move on. The ULAD as we knew it is dead. You're damn right we're in an uproar. We have every right to be. How would you feel if the UKAD was controlled by a BOT majority that held degrees from universities other than UofK? You would be pissed and rightfully so.
Cue,
I agree with a large majority of your posts but we are going to survive this as an University and as dedicated fans. I don’t believe it will take 10 years plus. We survived Crum’s firing with a good hire. That’s what it is going to take. I think we forget that TJ didn’t build our basketball program, Bill Olsen and Denny did that. I do think TJ has done tremendously more for all athletics but I don’t think Olsen gets enough credit for helping U of L become one of the top 5 basketball programs in the nation.

Reactions: Cue Card and SoulSr
Cue,
I agree with a large majority of your posts but we are going to survive this as an University and as dedicated fans. I don’t believe it will take 10 years plus. We survived Crum’s firing with a good hire. That’s what it is going to take. I think we forget that TJ didn’t build our basketball program, Bill Olsen and Denny did that. I do think TJ has done tremendously more for all athletics but I don’t think Olsen gets enough credit for helping U of L become one of the top 5 basketball programs in the nation.
I get that. Olsen did but he focused mostly on just basketball. Jurich got us title 9 compliant and made ALL the programs competitive. All 21 or whatever the number is today. We went from small time to big time under Tom Jurich. Olsen (along with Denny) took the basketball program from mid major to major. IMO, TJ has been the most influential athletic director in UofL history. We grew under the watchful eye of Jurich more than all the other AD's in UofL history combined. His reward was to be fired for cause. It was a power grab and as fans we got the wedgie which we're going to feel for years.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see how taking the ULAD down is good for anyone in the state regardless of where you graduated from. I honestly think that people in the state saw financial misconduct going on after the audit showed just that and the ULAD knew that with Tom Jurich in place none of the spending was going to be controlled because Jurich's pay was out of control as well. They needed to "hit reset" on Louisville getting rid of Jurich and Pitino was the only way to do that. Those two egos on campus weren't going to be controlled.

I get that. Olsen did but he focused mostly on just basketball. Jurich got us title 9 compliant and made ALL the programs competitive. All 21 or whatever the number is today. We went from small time to big time under Tom Jurich. Olsen (along with Denny) took the basketball program from mid major to major. IMO, TJ has been the most influential athletic director in UofL history. We grew under the watchful eye of Jurich more than all the other AD's in UofL history combined. His reward was to be fired for cause. It was a power grab and as fans we got the wedgie which we're going to feel for years.
Cue,

I just read an article from Charles Springer that was written in 2008. It was Olsen’s dream to build the football stadium and Olsen hired Schnellenberger, who has been given credit for being the father of Louisville football. One could say that TJ continued what was already started and needs to continue with a new AD.

Olsen also conceived the idea of Cardinal Park and in 1996 contracted with Lamar Daniels, leading gender equality consultants, to audit the U of L athletics program.

Last edited:
All good stuff nccardfan, but I'll stick with my thoughts that Jurich is the guy who elevated all of the ULAD. The other guys you mentioned help start it, but Jurich and his vision got us there.

Now it appears to be in the process of being ripped away from us. I'm still a fan. I will always be a fan even after I start decomposing but this ride is going to get rough before he gets smooth again. It should make us all appreciate the good times even more.

Reactions: American Male
The baseball stadium, Jim Patterson stadium was Lelo Prado’s dream and was hired by Bill Olsen. Olsen hired Prado because U of L hadn’t had a winning season since 1985. Although Prado was not successful in getting the Cards to postseason except 1 time, his overall record was 320-301, considerably better than previous years. A big donor of the stadium, Tino Martinez, Prado’s brother in law. Again, a dream started before TJ.

The baseball stadium, Jim Patterson stadium was Lelo Prado’s dream and was hired by Bill Olsen. Olsen hired Prado because U of L hadn’t had a winning season since 1985. Although Prado was not successful in getting the Cards to postseason except 1 time, his overall record was 320-301, considerably better than previous years. A big donor of the stadium, Tino Martinez, Prado’s brother in law. Again, a dream started before TJ.
Wanting a better place to play than old cardinal stadium or parkway doesn’t exactly make someone a visionary, it just means that they can see.

Wanting a better place to play than old cardinal stadium or parkway doesn’t exactly make someone a visionary, it just means that they can see.
So you think McDonnell would have came here if we were still playing in old Cardinal Stadium or that we would host any regionals? So during Prado’s tenure, us changing conferences was not only for football. Conference USA had some very tough baseball schools at the time, TCU, Houston, ECU, Tulane. Prado knew that in order to compete they had to upgrade the facilities.

So you think McDonnell would have came here if we were still playing in old Cardinal Stadium or that we would host any regionals? So during Prado’s tenure, us changing conferences was not only for football. Conference USA had some very tough baseball schools at the time, TCU, Houston, ECU, Tulane. Prado knew that in order to compete they had to upgrade the facilities.
I understand what you’re saying but Helen Keller knew that if we wanted to have an athletic department that could compete and be attractive to better conferences, facilities would have to be upgraded.

Having the vision is the smaller part of it - actually making it happen - which is what TJ did - is really everything.

Reactions: American Male
I don’t know anything about running an athletic department but if somebody gave me a blank check and the keys to the foundation’s treasure chest, I could be successful as well. Jurich and Ramsey are both crooks and embezzlers

Reactions: wilkie01
Cue,

Are you kidding me. How can you compare Denny’s issue to what’s happening now. For one Jurich did the hiring and he hired a well known proven coach. And yes Olsen handled the BB program. And how long was he here and just what did he accomplish. The only accomplishment under him was the FB stadium and it was Howard who pushed for that. If it was up to Olsen we would have dropped to Division II in FB. And some thought we would do away with FB. So in reality nothing was accomplished at UL under Olsen other than the BB program, which was already established. You are a very naive person if you think we’re headed in the right direction and being led by individuals who care to see UofL athletics grow. Or maybe you’re one of those individuals that want to hold the University and city back. Jurich hired a HOF BB coach, expanded FB, grew the Title IX programs (Made them a model). Got us into the ACC....on and on. Or are you one of those dinosaurs that are happy with just a BB program? If so you’re in the minority thank god. So don’t kid yourself this was a major hit that could last a very long time. We will see.

Reactions: BPGhost
I think it is fair to say the athletic program was trying to move toward being a complete athletic department before Jurich arrived. Olson knew that football was going to be the key, that is why he hired someone like Howard. Jurich took the entire athletic program to a different level. He biggest contributions were to non-revenue sports. Trust me none of the non-revenue sports had support prior to Jurich. TV money exploded during his tenure and football was the driving force. Jurich recognized that early and did a wonderful job navigating that landscape. Jurich took Papa John's stadium built suites and added on. He tapped into the big money. He should get complete credit for increasing the revenue, him and Ramsey should get credit for the move to the ACC. He was the perfect guy at the perfect time.

The reality he is not the right fit for this new administration. It wasn't going to work. It was basically an unworkable situation. Time to move on.

Reactions: nccardfan
I don’t know anything about running an athletic department but if somebody gave me a blank check and the keys to the foundation’s treasure chest, I could be successful as well. Jurich and Ramsey are both crooks and embezzlers
Love to hear about your list of accomplishments. My guess is you couldn’t have done 1/2 the job Jurich did if you were given three wishes.

Reactions: Niterider55

Yeah I’m betting this isn’t true. Talks cheap. Prove it. Start fund raising for the University I’m betting they would appreciate it. Also pull in the grant money Ramsey brought in. Bet you don’t pull down a 10th of what they did if anything. See they had to raise those funds. No one just gave them money without a call. Also crook implies illegal activities. Haven’t heard of any criminal charges.

Are you kidding me. How can you compare Denny’s issue to what’s happening now. For one Jurich did the hiring and he hired a well known proven coach. And yes Olsen handled the BB program. And how long was he here and just what did he accomplish. The only accomplishment under him was the FB stadium and it was Howard who pushed for that. If it was up to Olsen we would have dropped to Division II in FB. And some thought we would do away with FB. So in reality nothing was accomplished at UL under Olsen other than the BB program, which was already established. You are a very naive person if you think we’re headed in the right direction and being led by individuals who care to see UofL athletics grow. Or maybe you’re one of those individuals that want to hold the University and city back. Jurich hired a HOF BB coach, expanded FB, grew the Title IX programs (Made them a model). Got us into the ACC....on and on. Or are you one of those dinosaurs that are happy with just a BB program? If so you’re in the minority thank god. So don’t kid yourself this was a major hit that could last a very long time. We will see.
First of all you need to go back and educate yourself on the history of U of L athletics. You say Olsen did nothing? He hired Schnellenberger. By the way Olsen is the one who set precedent for gender equality in sports at U of L. You are the one who is naive to think that we can’t move forward from this. It’s definitely a setback but I’m going to move forward instead of crying in my corn flakes or should I say lucky charms.

First of all you need to go back and educate yourself on the history of U of L athletics. You say Olsen did nothing? He hired Schnellenberger. By the way Olsen is the one who set precedent for gender equality in sports at U of L. You are the one who is naive to think that we can’t move forward from this. It’s definitely a setback but I’m going to move forward instead of crying in my corn flakes or should I say lucky charms.

Jurich arrive at the right time in Louisville history. Olsen. Schellenberger and Malcolm Chaney had start the ball rolling. He was generous given money by gracious donors that would have given money to Louisville regardless who the AD was. Louisville will continue to grow and move forwaed with who ever the new AD and President will be.

Reactions: nccardfan
Jurich arrive at the right time in Louisville history. Olsen. Schellenberger and Malcolm Chaney had start the ball rolling. He was generous given money by gracious donors that would have given money to Louisville regardless who the AD was. Louisville will continue to grow and move forwaed with who ever the new AD and President will be.
This implies that the results during Jurich’s tenure were really preordained - that he was simply standing on the shoulders of giants.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Why hadn’t those donors already opened up their checkbooks prior to Jurich arriving in the same fashion they did after he got here? Why hadn’t the facilities been built, the top flight coaches been hired, the Title IX situation completely figured out or most importantly, why weren’t we in a better conference with continued upward mobility?

Using the same logic - the football team was all primed and ready to keep rolling when petrino left in 2006 - it didn’t matter a bit who was hired.

Oh, that’s right... :eek:

You have different standards of right and wrong than I do. We will never agree.

Last edited:
This implies that the results during Jurich’s tenure were really preordained - that he was simply standing on the shoulders of giants.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Why hadn’t those donors already opened up their checkbooks prior to Jurich arriving in the same fashion they did after he got here? Why hadn’t the facilities been built, the top flight coaches been hired, the Title IX situation completely figured out or most importantly, why weren’t we in a better conference with continued upward mobility?

Using the same logic - the football team was all primed and ready to keep rolling when petrino left in 2006 - it didn’t matter a bit who was hired.

Oh, that’s right... :eek:
Interesting that you point out the krapthorpe hire that was made none other than Jurich. At the time (not after) the hiring, it was graded an F. Not because of who he picked but because there was no selection committee, it was an one person decision with Ramsey’s blessing.

Interesting that you point out the krapthorpe hire that was made none other than Jurich. At the time (not after) the hiring, it was graded an F. Not because of who he picked but because there was no selection committee, it was an one person decision with Ramsey’s blessing.

Did you know Jurich's wife was maid of honor in the Kragthorpe wedding? And Mrs. Jurich and Kragthorpe were sorority sisters? Tom hired a buddy in Steve Kragthorpe, who was currently not well employed.

Man, I do not want a word war with you. On lots of issues we often agree. But on this one we do not. We just disagree. You seem to think in my opinion Jurich was perfect and non-replaceable. I do not think that way.

Man, I do not want a word war with you. On lots of issues we often agree. But on this one we do not. We just disagree. You seem to think in my opinion Jurich was perfect and non-replaceable. I do not think that way.
That’s the whole issue now is that our fan base is seemingly divided. Posters want to boycott this and that about U of L. What happened to the whole meaning of L1C4?

Did you know Jurich's wife was maid of honor in the Kragthorpe wedding? And Mrs. Jurich and Kragthorpe were sorority sisters? Tom hired a buddy in Steve Kragthorpe, who was currently not well employed.
I did not but doesn’t surprised me at all. It’s one thing you can’t argue with a narcissist like Trump and to some degree both Jurich and CRP, they are never wrong. Why? Because they said so.

I did not but doesn’t surprised me at all. It’s one thing you can’t argue with a narcissist like Trump and to some degree both Jurich and CRP, they are never wrong. Why? Because they said so.

I’ll be your huckleberry. Whose the narcissist? Sounds like you. I don’t ever remember Jurich acting that way. Pitino yes but men with power are that way look at your buddy Grissom. That dude takes the cake. An old fart that is past his time that thinks he has all the answers and has proven nothing. Will see how forward thinking he and his puppet Postel are. I’m betting everything stalls or worse yet declines. Of course I believe that would make you happy. You want to return to the 80s when we were a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Neither Pitino nor Jurich is coming back. Even were in some place they are found to be 'wrongfully terminated' they will get money, not jobs.

I know I will catch hell for this, but the guys saying they will boycott the teams or merchandise or give up their tickets because this is the downfall of the program...
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If the fans don't show up, the legit donors quit, the students lose interest...well....there ya go.
THAT'S what will harm University of Louisville sports more than the loss of any coach or athletic director would ever do.

Neither Pitino nor Jurich is coming back. Even were in some place they are found to be 'wrongfully terminated' they will get money, not jobs.

I know I will catch hell for this, but the guys saying they will boycott the teams or merchandise or give up their tickets because this is the downfall of the program...
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If the fans don't show up, the legit donors quit, the students lose interest...well....there ya go.
THAT'S what will harm University of Louisville sports more than the loss of any coach or athletic director would ever do.

Absolutely correct. And for those of us who question the boards motives, well by doing that you play right into their hands. So my support for UofL won’t waiver one bit. As Jurich said yesterday he’s not going to let 3 people ruin his feelings for UofL. Nor will I.

Stupid is stupid.

Other ADs would’ve canned pitino out of fear for possibly losing their own job. College athletics is rife with people in high positions covering their asses by throwing those below them under the bus.

Obviously, that’s not the way Jurich operates. Another differentiator between he and that sniveling weasel greg postel.

I really do find it interesting and almost laughable how some of you can even, for a minute, hold up Jurich as some sort of good person. Was he good for UL athletics? On the surface, yes. But as this whole thing unravels, I'm afraid you are all going to see the damage he as done to your university. And it shouldn't have happened.

This is an excellent take. We will find the truth out once the court cases begin. All I can say as far as Jurich is that board better have some damning evidence or there will be hell to pay. And I’m betting they don’t.
I'll take that bet. I'm afraid you aren't going to like what comes out in court.

No war of words wilkie - we’re good. It’s ok to disagree - not sure that it has anything to do with something so fundamental as right and wrong. Of course Jurich isn’t/wasn’t perfect but on balance he was far and away UofL’s best AD - IMO - and we are getting ready to find out how replaceable he is.

I’m just really bothered (obviously) about a process that I feel strongly was set in motion months ago by people who have an agenda that I disagree with.

I really do find it interesting and almost laughable how some of you can even, for a minute, hold up Jurich as some sort of good person.
I find it completely laughable that you post as if you know Jurich - to know that he isn’t a “good person”.

You’re just another yut jackass who needs to stay in his lane.

I'll take that bet. I'm afraid you aren't going to like what comes out in court.
Let me make sure I understand you. You’re saying that in cases of wrongful termination there might be information that comes out that both litigants will find unappealing?

How profound! You are truly a deep thinker. Thanks for stopping by with those pearls.

I’m just really bothered (obviously) about a process that I feel strongly was set in motion months ago by people who have an agenda that I disagree with.
That is what bothers me the most. The PROCESS regarding how this went down.

Let me make sure I understand you. You’re saying that in cases of wrongful termination there might be information that comes out that both litigants will find unappealing?

How profound! You are truly a deep thinker. Thanks for stopping by with those pearls.
If you think this is wrongful termination, then I don’t know what world you live in. Everywhere else, when you don’t do you what your boss tells you to do you get fired. He was told to fire Pitino and would not do it. And even if that were not all of it, the whole deal with the Yum Center Is a deal where when all is said and done I’ll be surprised if someone is not in jail over it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT