ADVERTISEMENT

Jurich interview

Not hating but trying to find perspective. One thing that puzzles me about what Jurich has contended through all this. It really sounds as if he is saying that he needed to be told to fire Pitino or even simply reprimand or question the guy. I wonder how many other AD’s (people in charge of athletic departments) would have been tolerant of what supposedly CRP did. Maybe not fired, but placed on administrative leave. Something? Also wouldn’t you think that he would have placed his love for the University over all the negativity that CRP brought on the program. I don’t buy that TJ didn’t have that authority when in other issues he answered to no one but the President. Was he directed by the President to fire Coach Crum or was it his decision that U of L needed a change?

Him wearing a shirt with the ACC logo on it a coincidence? I think not. Loved it.

Reactions: BPGhost
Failure to cleanse Louisville Athletics of Rick Pitino's immoral behavior and from sewer trash Pitino program was his self inflicted downfall. Jurich's failure to clean house got him fired.

Just don't understand why they just didn't give him the, $3M w/o cause buyout, implemented because of a new President, and save the University all of the bad publicity, attorney fees and the UofL Family division. This could be a real damaging dumpster fire for awhile.

Reactions: BPGhost
Just don't understand why they just didn't give him the, $3M w/o cause buyout, implemented because of a new President, and save the University all of the bad publicity, attorney fees and the UofL Family division. This could be a real damaging dumpster fire for awhile.
Him wearing a shirt with the ACC logo on it a coincidence? I think not. Loved it.
Had the Cardinal on the sleeve too.

Not hating but trying to find perspective. One thing that puzzles me about what Jurich has contended through all this. It really sounds as if he is saying that he needed to be told to fire Pitino or even simply reprimand or question the guy. I wonder how many other AD’s (people in charge of athletic departments) would have been tolerant of what supposedly CRP did. Maybe not fired, but placed on administrative leave. Something? Also wouldn’t you think that he would have placed his love for the University over all the negativity that CRP brought on the program. I don’t buy that TJ didn’t have that authority when in other issues he answered to no one but the President. Was he directed by the President to fire Coach Crum or was it his decision that U of L needed a change?
Other ADs would’ve canned pitino out of fear for possibly losing their own job. College athletics is rife with people in high positions covering their asses by throwing those below them under the bus.

Obviously, that’s not the way Jurich operates. Another differentiator between he and that sniveling weasel greg postel.

Other ADs would’ve canned pitino out of fear for possibly losing their own job. College athletics is rife with people in high positions covering their asses by throwing those below them under the bus.

Obviously, that’s not the way Jurich operates. Another differentiator between he and that sniveling weasel greg postel.

I just don’t see how anyone could see any reasonable alternative to firing Pitino and firing him swiftly.

His assistant coach is on tape basically agreeing to funnel money to a kid or his parents. I don't know isn't good enough when your program is on probation. Jurich even admits he knew the administration wanted Pitinio gone back in July. Then this occurs he doesn't act quickly and decisively. He either thought he was untouchable or he wanted this to be the result.

His assistant coach is on tape basically agreeing to funnel money to a kid or his parents. I don't know isn't good enough when your program is on probation. Jurich even admits he knew the administration wanted Pitinio gone back in July. Then this occurs he doesn't act quickly and decisively. He either thought he was untouchable or he wanted this to be the result.

What he said.

Obviously given the totality of the situation swift and decisive action was needed.

Reactions: Steve91562
I just don’t see how anyone could see any reasonable alternative to firing Pitino and firing him swiftly.
I am not questioning the need for pitino to be fired but, what’s the rush? Please tell me his firing him prior to investigating the situation has helped the situation? Whether you fire someone today or next week - they’re just as fired.

No other head coach has been fired as of yet. We self imposed a tournament ban which was a mistake. Why does the university consistently impose penalties on itself that probably aren’t coming?

Given the opportunity to fire Fair, there’s no question that Jurich would have. The reality is that he never got the opportunity to review the situation - which is what a rational person does - and then act.

I am not questioning the need for pitino to be fired but, what’s the rush? Please tell me his firing him prior to investigating the situation has helped the situation? Whether you fire someone today or next week - they’re just as fired.

No other head coach has been fired as of yet. We self imposed a tournament ban which was a mistake. Why does the university consistently impose penalties on itself that probably aren’t coming?
I think the timing was they didn’t want to let CRP start the season and possibly be fired mid season and be left with a season in disarray. This way they had a new coach to begin the season.

He never got the chance. According to Jurich and if you follow Postel Jurich was never given any details. So if your not given the details what’s he suppose to fire him for. Jurich probably had a better understanding of Pitino’s contract. Had they taken a breath and let Jurich handle it I’m betting it would have cost UofL a lot less money than it’s going too. As it is, it’s a HR nightmare, because Postel and that nitwit Grissom screwed the whole Pitino thing and he’s probably going to get a big payday. But they’ll never admit that.

Given the opportunity to fire Fair, there’s no question that Jurich would have. The reality is that he never got the opportunity to review the situation - which is what a rational person does - and then act.

And that is exactly the kind of leadership we have now running the University . They went off half cocked and now it’s going to cost the University $$$$. But they got what THEY wanted no Pitino or Jurich.

Got to agree with Ghost on this one. Jurich made UofL into a ACC powerhouse athletic program, and he did it his way. He was loyal to his coaches and fair. Had he been given the chance to, it's my humble opinion that after all the facts were discovered and digested, he would have fired Rick Pitino. He never got that chance because he stood on his own principles not to make any decision without having all the facts. It's clear to me that the new BOT has its own narrative and that is to destroy UofL's athletic department. We're in for some very lean years as UofL fans IMO. Maybe for the remainder of my lifetime. That sucks.

Got to agree with Ghost on this one. Jurich made UofL into a ACC powerhouse athletic program, and he did it his way. He was loyal to his coaches and fair. Had he been given the chance to, it's my humble opinion that after all the facts were discovered and digested, he would have fired Rick Pitino. He never got that chance because he stood on his own principles not to make any decision without having all the facts. It's clear to me that the new BOT has its own narrative and that is to destroy UofL's athletic department. We're in for some very lean years as UofL fans IMO. Maybe for the remainder of my lifetime. That sucks.

I agree with this 100% and it’s what I’ve been saying since this occurred. Sad days to come.

I think the timing was they didn’t want to let CRP start the season and possibly be fired mid season and be left with a season in disarray. This way they had a new coach to begin the season.
I get that but, either way - it’s a new coach next year. They coulda let pitino coach this team this year and then made a decision. Might’ve kept a recruit or two in the process.

Just didn’t fit with the preconceived plan of grissom and his lackeys.

Reactions: American Male
He never got the chance. According to Jurich and if you follow Postel Jurich was never given any details. So if your not given the details what’s he suppose to fire him for. Jurich probably had a better understanding of Pitino’s contract. Had they taken a breath and let Jurich handle it I’m betting it would have cost UofL a lot less money than it’s going too. As it is, it’s a HR nightmare, because Postel and that nitwit Grissom screwed the whole Pitino thing and he’s probably going to get a big payday. But they’ll never admit that.

The fact that Pitino had such a forgiving contract (with the huge buyout and the 10 day notice BS) in light of the probation is part of the problem. After the Powell scandal how the hell was Pitino’s contract not revisited? I’ll tell you why - because this is the same AD that extended his contract not long after the Sypher situation came to light. He was too lenient with Pitino, essentially turning a blind eye to negative situations.

Reactions: wilkie01
The fact that Pitino had such a forgiving contract (with the huge buyout and the 10 day notice BS) in light of the probation is part of the problem. After the Powell scandal how the hell was Pitino’s contract not revisited? I’ll tell you why - because this is the same AD that extended his contract not long after the Sypher situation came to light. He was too lenient with Pitino, essentially turning a blind eye to negative situations.
Lotta Monday morning quarterbacking in that post.

Personally I thought the way Jurich handled the Sypher debacle took a lot of courage on his part. I didn't really agree with it, but it is another example of how he always gathered all the facts before making a decision. In the end, Pitino was exonerated because he had a moment of weakness and was taken advantage of by a gold digger looking for a payday. Not defending Pitino because he should have known better, but it does show that Jurich was more than just his boss. He was also a friend who could be counted on to be compassionate. That's pretty rare today.

Personally I thought the way Jurich handled the Sypher debacle took a lot of courage on his part. I didn't really agree with it, but it is another example of how he always gathered all the facts before making a decision. In the end, Pitino was exonerated because he had a moment of weakness and was taken advantage of by a gold digger looking for a payday. Not defending Pitino because he should have known better, but it does show that Jurich was more than just his boss. He was also a friend who could be counted on to be compassionate. That's pretty rare today.

Yes, he was quite compassionate. The Sypher crap comes out in late March and in early July it’s announced that Pitino was getting a huge contract extension and pay increase.

Agree, although I think it speaks to a pattern of Jurich not holding Pitino accountable or putting stipulations on his employment
You can disagree with that method of operating but, it was consistently the way that Jurich operated. As he said - he hired them and rather than say “sink or swim” he supported them. He wanted them to succeed and went at it from that perspective - rather than set stipulations that really would only be put there to cover his own ass.

Agree, in the real world buck your boss and you either get fires or promoted. Jurich got fired. End of store!

I had zero issues with how Jurich handled the Sypher deal. As most fans. As far as the contract I suspect that’s a pretty common practice. Pitino didn’t have issues with his coaching and until McGee he never had a history of violations. I’m not into the moral judgement game because I am not perfect nor are you. Jurich took care of the University I’m sure he was in a constant battle with the political push back against UofL growing. But he got the job done and apparently he hurt some feelings along the way. There’s a lot of candy a$$es these days.

And now you’ve gotten your wish so, you will soon find out what it’s like to have someone that’s not willing to battle. Because as nice as Tyra is he’s beholden to the devil in David Grissom. And don’t be fooled he’s the decision maker. And the President they hire will be his puppet just like Postel. And it very well could be Postel.

Agree, in the real world buck your boss and you either get fires or promoted. Jurich got fired. End of store!

Hearsay unless you have evidence. Postel has said more than once he didn’t ask Jurich to fire Pitino. When was he suppose to fire him? Jurich was suspended the same day as Pitino. Plus the contract didn’t allow for him to be fired immediately, which is where these nitwits have screwed up. Talking about costing the university. But I guess that’s okay with you. At least with Ramsey and Jurich you can point at structures and results for the money they spent not these DAs.

Yes the new BOT wanted Pitino gone. But they didn’t come out and say it directly it was merely the feeling Pitino and Jurich got. But you have to have cause and until this they didn’t. And I wonder why? It’s pretty common knowledge that Grissom had it out for Pitino and Jurich. And we know the Pizza man did. Those two let there personal ego effect what’s best for UofL. Sure Pitino should have been fired but we can debate Jurich all night long.

And let’s get it straight for everyone that doesn’t understand what happened. No one I repeat no one on our staff is accused of funneling money or they would be charged by the FBI. Fair simply knew about it which is only a NCAA violation. Not saying that’s not bad. Fair’s job was to get him certified and a scholarship. There is a big difference between funneling money and what Fair actually did. One act is crime and one is a NCAA violation. No grey area.

Jurich and Rick, assuming here, had to privately had a conversation after the Powell deal "Rick no more issues or I can't protect you". As his supervisor surely he told Rick there was a line in the sand after the Powell situation. What supervisor wouldn't do that? My point is Jurich didn't need to know anything other than an assistant coach and another coach, one of which is on tape with the FBI, breaking NCAA rules while on probation. I don't get how this isn't the obvious step given everything that has gone on in the basketball program. I had no problem standing by Rick after Powell situation, but Pitinio could have another mistake. I think this is the arrogance of both of these guys. It was all about Rick not the University, which Jurich is supposed to protect from these things. Nobody wanted Rick to go out like this but he staff has done incredible damage to the University.

I think the BOT mishandled the Jurich situation, they should have suspended him for 6 months or a year. Let all the emotion leave the room then make the best decision for Jurich and University. He doesn't deserve what he has been handed. No one is winner here.

Just from what I have read posted, Tom Jurich was hired under former President Ramsey and given free reign to operate the athletics department and build it up as far as possible.

Every manager or executive has their own style to reach that objective. Blue glasses would have to cover blind eyes to think he was anything but wildly successful.

However , eventually the person that was Jurichs supervisor was dismissed for reasons that boiled down to financial irresponsibility. The new supervisor(s): Postel and Grissom,
Had a different idea .... especially Mr Grissom. Their business model was more based on the athletic department being totally subordinate to the University as a whole.
So you have a man that was amazingly successful being told he had to heel. If he was ever specifically told that.

Personalities always come into play. Successful managers usually do manage to rub people the wrong way. Did Tom Jurich make mistakes? Sure he did. We all do. Was there truly 'cause' for him to be fired? All the information a fan base gets is slanted one way or another.
No quick easy answer for that. No one really 'knows' what information the BOT had behind closed doors. For whatever reasons there truly are, the decision was 10-3 to terminate.
The lawyers will toss it around to see who was right and who was wrong.

Just from what I have read posted, Tom Jurich was hired under former President Ramsey and given free reign to operate the athletics department and build it up as far as possible.

Every manager or executive has their own style to reach that objective. Blue glasses would have to cover blind eyes to think he was anything but wildly successful.

However , eventually the person that was Jurichs supervisor was dismissed for reasons that boiled down to financial irresponsibility. The new supervisor(s): Postel and Grissom,
Had a different idea .... especially Mr Grissom. Their business model was more based on the athletic department being totally subordinate to the University as a whole.
So you have a man that was amazingly successful being told he had to heel. If he was ever specifically told that.

Personalities always come into play. Successful managers usually do manage to rub people the wrong way. Did Tom Jurich make mistakes? Sure he did. We all do. Was there truly 'cause' for him to be fired? All the information a fan base gets is slanted one way or another.
No quick easy answer for that. No one really 'knows' what information the BOT had behind closed doors. For whatever reasons there truly are, the decision was 10-3 to terminate.

Yes, it is hard to come to a verdict, when you are not privileged to all the facts.

This is an excellent take. We will find the truth out once the court cases begin. All I can say as far as Jurich is that board better have some damning evidence or there will be hell to pay. And I’m betting they don’t.

I get that but, either way - it’s a new coach next year. They coulda let pitino coach this team this year and then made a decision. Might’ve kept a recruit or two in the process.

Just didn’t fit with the preconceived plan of grissom and his lackeys.
Well you have to also consider that we were still involved in the appeals process and letting CRP continue to coach was just not an option if you want the NCAA to believe that you are trying to make things right not just hang on to a HOF coach.

Well you have to also consider that we were still involved in the appeals process and letting CRP continue to coach was just not an option if you want the NCAA to believe that you are trying to make things right not just hang on to a HOF coach.
What’s this “NCAA” that you speak of?

Reactions: GoldCard
Yes, it is hard to come to a verdict, when you are not privileged to all the facts.
If Jurich had plenty of evidence to fire a HOF coach like Crum for complacency, 61-61 his last 4 seasons, 0-2 in NCAA and two minor sanctions in the 90’s but no direct violation of Crum, he certainly had enough writing on the wall to dismiss CRP or simply a reprimand. The difference, which shouldn’t be the most important factor is that CRP was winning and Crum was not. The most important factor should have been that young adults were being subject to prostitution and other moral issues. I understand being L1C4 but I just don’t see how you can overlook or justify that.

Reactions: wilkie01
If Jurich had plenty of evidence to fire a HOF coach like Crum for complacency, 61-61 his last 4 seasons, 0-2 in NCAA and two minor sanctions in the 90’s but no direct violation of Crum, he certainly had enough writing on the wall to dismiss CRP or simply a reprimand. The difference, which shouldn’t be the most important factor is that CRP was winning and Crum was not. The most important factor should have been that young adults were being subject to prostitution and other moral issues. I understand being L1C4 but I just don’t see how you can overlook or justify that.

I feel that way also. However, again I want to see all the evidence before I make a decision and we have not seen it all. Everything has been done behind closed doors. Say this is just like the "Star Chambers Court", a secret court used in England for the King to get rid of political enemies or decentors . It's why our Constitution says we all will have the right to a jury of our peers and the right to confront our accusers.

With that said, if Jurich has done the deeds claimed, he deserved to be dismissed with cause.

Last edited:
Inaction can be as damaging as actions taken. If I had my preferences, yes I would still want TJ as our AD, but again that’s my personal desire. As far as only suspending him 6 months or bringing him back, you have to realize that he was part (maybe not directly) of the issue because he couldn’t separate loyalty to a coach from the university and unless he was willing to change, there’s no way he could be part of the solution.

I think what many Card fans are leery of is the next hire...or really the first true hire...that Tyra makes in either football or basketball.
If he hits a home run like Petrino 1.0 or prime Pitino, folks will be easier.
If he gets a Kragthorpe or a Billy Gillispie clone, the fan base will be in an uproar.

ADVERTISEMENT