ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny U Statue/Renovation

Jun 10, 2005
On the other board a dude had a suggestion. After the renovation... to keep the Johnny U Statue at the end of the tunnel so the players could still rub his feet coming out onto the field.

This would be an awesome idea and keep a cool tradition going (we don't have that many).

What do y'all think? Keep him where he is or move him to the outside of the stadium?

Reactions: 65bird and wilkie01
On the other board a dude had a suggestion. After the renovation... to keep the Johnny U Statue at the end of the tunnel so the players could still rub his feet coming out onto the field.

This would be an awesome idea and keep a cool tradition going (we don't have that many).

What do y'all think? Keep him where he is or move him to the outside of the stadium?

Yes. Keep him there. As you said, we don't have many traditions, but this is one. It's less than 2 decades old, but still...

Traditions have to start sometime so now is as good a time to continue this tradition.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Anything I like I'm told I'm old and out of touch. All that matters is what recruits think.

Maybe we need a statue of Jay Z or somebody?

So I don't care.

Looking at the rendering, there's not a whole lot of space from where the team will come out and on to the field. The statue would have to go directly behind the goal post, hidden. Doesn't seem to me it would look right. Guess it depends on how wide the tunnel is going to be.

image_handler.aspx

I think the likely destination is the party deck.

Last edited:
Could be some room right there just behind the field on the paved area. But it might obstruct some views of people in the field level suites. They could keep him back inside the tunnel where the players would go by him after coming out through the doors.

But that would reignite the "Free Unitas" campaign.

Actually looks like the tunnels are now on the left and right not in the center. The statue should be outside the entrance to the Schnellengerger bldg IMO, be great to develop that area with College Gameday in mind.

Looking at the rendering, there's not a whole lot of space from where the team will come out and on to the field. The statue would have to go directly behind the goal post, hidden. Doesn't seem to me it would look right. Guess it depends on how wide the tunnel is going to be.

image_handler.aspx

I think the likely destination is the party deck.

Reactions: GoldCard
Put Johnny atop a trap door behind the north goalposts. After the players touch him coming onto the field, he is retracted beneath the field until the final horn when he is ceremoniously raised and toasted by players and fans.

Cover the trap door with astroturf and install LED lighting at the base to give Johnny that modern look.

Who's with me?...

Almost forgot, let the least drunk guy in the field level suites have custody of the remote control...

Reactions: gocds
Almost forgot, let the least drunk guy in the field level suites have custody of the remote control...

Hey that could be ME!! Now I must admit that I do have an occasional cocktail or cold beer but I don't drink at football games. Sooooooooo . . . I nominate ME for remote control duty. :D

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
Let the tradition also be that Johnny only reappears after a victory.

In a semi-serious vein, can you imagine the TV coverage that sort of novelty would bring in the context of a broadcast? Maybe a rendition of the Tonite Show theme and jingle: "Here comes Johnny!" (For us old farts...)

Actually looks like the tunnels are now on the left and right not in the center. The statue should be outside the entrance to the Schnellengerger bldg IMO, be great to develop that area with College Gameday in mind.

Had heard the team will walk on to the field from the middle section where fans can gather underneath stands, ala Dallas Cowboys.

Let the tradition also be that Johnny only reappears after a victory.

In a semi-serious vein, can you imagine the TV coverage that sort of novelty would bring in the context of a broadcast? Maybe a rendition of the Tonite Show theme and jingle: "Here comes Johnny!" (For us old farts...)
It was "Heeeeeeeer'es Johnny!"

Had heard the team will walk on to the field from the middle section where fans can gather underneath stands, ala Dallas Cowboys.

I'd prefer that, too. Just don't see that in the drawing. Doesn't mean it won't be. But there are field level suites there?

I'd prefer that, too. Just don't see that in the drawing. Doesn't mean it won't be. But there are field level suites there?

It's there. Not overly noticeable, though. Small wedge in the middle, red and yellow roof.

Reactions: tkdcoach
If we had a Lamar statue, it definately would have to be him mid-flight hurdling the Syracuse defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT