ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein - Was He Considered?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Not sure if Cards could afford him, I think he makes a nice near top 10 salary - and Michigan is a very good job. He's probably extremely happy up there, maybe he was just not possible to lure....

That said, the guy is a proven commodity with 2 different programs in 2 different power 5 leagues and he is now working his 2nd Final Four in the last decade. Legit shot to win it all this year.

The guy can really coach, especially offense - maybe he was not within reach.

Haven't noticed if Michigan has been named with any FBI issues I don't believe they have been.

He recruits well.

I’m a huge Beilein fan. Love how they spread the floor. He is 65 years old though so I would think he would only plan on working a few more years.

Agree with previous posters. Age eliminates him from discussion.

Our goal, at least imo, should be on a coach that can give us 15+ years.

How could he have been. Michigan is still playing and we are about to name a new HC. That goes for Jay Wright, Billy D, Fred Hoiburg etc.

How could he have been. Michigan is still playing and we are about to name a new HC. That goes for Jay Wright, Billy D, Fred Hoiburg etc.

Beilein is too old though he is a good coach. Are we getting Wright or Donovan? I'm not sure what is great about Hoiberg. Mack has a better college resume with less resources.

Beilein is too old though he is a good coach. Are we getting Wright or Donovan? I'm not sure what is great about Hoiberg. Mack has a better college resume with less resources.
I don't know about Hoiberg, but Mack's resume isn't as good currently as any of those guys...

Beilein is an impressive coach with a nice resume.

His offense is fun to watch. His teams play a fun and entertaining style of basketball.

Too old? He probably has at least another 10 years.

Seems like it would be more difficult to lure him from Michigan.... more so than him being too old.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I don't know about Hoiberg, but Mack's resume isn't as good currently as any of those guys...

I was talking about Hoiberg only. I think Wright will retire at Nova and Donovan will be at OKC for a couple more seasons at least. We can't wait to find out anyhow what Donovan is going to do.

I was talking about Hoiberg only. I think Wright will retire at Nova and Donovan will be at OKC for a couple more seasons at least. We can't wait to find out anyhow what Donovan is going to do.
So we waited all season and now we are in crisis mode to name a coach? My understanding is April 11 is the start of recruiting period, so why couldn’t we wait until the NC was finished. There’s no other big job open right now.

Reactions: zipp
So we waited all season and now we are in crisis mode to name a coach? My understanding is April 11 is the start of recruiting period, so why couldn’t we wait until the NC was finished. There’s no other big job open right now.
We aren't in crisis mode but we need to have a coach before the recruiting season starts. Not doing so would definitely hurt us for next year and have a negative effect on recruiting for 2019. If we were chasing Donovan that would be an issue considering its debatable whether he'd even take the job. I don't think he does unless he gets fired. The NBA playoffs don't even start till mid April. We could wait for Wright but its also been said that he isn't leaving Nova which I believe. He already makes good money and seems to fit there.

We aren't in crisis mode but we need to have a coach before the recruiting season starts. Not doing so would definitely hurt us for next year and have a negative effect on recruiting for 2019. If we were chasing Donovan that would be an issue considering its debatable whether he'd even take the job. I don't think he does unless he gets fired. The NBA playoffs don't even start till mid April. We could wait for Wright but its also been said that he isn't leaving Nova which I believe. He already makes good money and seems to fit there.
That's not true, it may just be popular thinking.

You can afford to make a mistake as long as you do it now?...That's not sound reasoning. I'm not debating whether that inspired clown show thinking. It's probably more just an indication of how these guys think...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

Not sure if Cards could afford him, I think he makes a nice near top 10 salary - and Michigan is a very good job. He's probably extremely happy up there, maybe he was just not possible to lure....

That said, the guy is a proven commodity with 2 different programs in 2 different power 5 leagues and he is now working his 2nd Final Four in the last decade. Legit shot to win it all this year.

The guy can really coach, especially offense - maybe he was not within reach.

Haven't noticed if Michigan has been named with any FBI issues I don't believe they have been.

He recruits well.
Who cares?

That's not true, it may just be popular thinking.

You can afford to make a mistake as long as you do it now?...That's not sound reasoning. I'm not debating whether that inspired clown show thinking. It's probably more just an indication of how these guys think...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

I personally don't think hiring Mack was a mistake. We can't make a mistake now which I agree with you about but we also can't wait 2 months to hire a coach who isn't coming. I feel like Donovan is the Jon Gruden of CBB. Lots of fanbases believe he is theirs when they really had no shot. We could not afford to wait 2 months, then fail to get Donovan. What happens at that point? Who know what candidates we are looking at then.

I personally don't think hiring Mack was a mistake. We can't make a mistake now which I agree with you about but we also can't wait 2 months to hire a coach who isn't coming. I feel like Donovan is the Jon Gruden of CBB. Lots of fanbases believe he is theirs when they really had no shot. We could not afford to wait 2 months, then fail to get Donovan. What happens at that point? Who know what candidates we are looking at then.
Just for the sake of discussion, why wouldn’t Mack still be available in a month or 2? He wasn’t going anywhere.

Beilein reminds me a lot of Tom Coughlin in the NFL. Wherever he goes they turn things around. Like Coughlin the age factor is a big deal and you gotta wonder how many more years the guy has left in him.

Just for the sake of discussion, why wouldn’t Mack still be available in a month or 2? He wasn’t going anywhere.
That's exactly right. These gotta-do-it-now folks are using that issue as cover for something else. It's a false narrative without the reasons such as the one you're asking...

Getting Mack here as soon as possible is the best idea. Best coach for the job. Great day for all Cards fans (even those that are irrationally bitter)!

Getting Mack here as soon as possible is the best idea. Best coach for the job. Great day for all Cards fans (even those that are irrationally bitter)!
I’m not bitter, I want what’s best for the University, which includes athletics but not just solely on athletics. The one big knock against Jurich was that he seemingly made hires without much say from others. Here we are saying that now all things are going to be transparent. I would like to see this long list of “interested” applicants and why it is apparent that several coaches who have mentioned as desirables, weren’t even interviewed or given the chance to interview. Sounds like someone or somebody already had in mind who they wanted and that is not the process most businesses or companies go through. Let’s not repeat the same mistakes.

I’m not bitter, I want what’s best for the University, which includes athletics but not just solely on athletics. The one big knock against Jurich was that he seemingly made hires without much say from others. Here we are saying that now all things are going to be transparent. I would like to see this long list of “interested” applicants and why it is apparent that several coaches who have mentioned as desirables, weren’t even interviewed or given the chance to interview. Sounds like someone or somebody already had in mind who they wanted and that is not the process most businesses or companies go through. Let’s not repeat the same mistakes.

Wasn’t trying to say you were bitter. Zipp on the other hand...

Anyways, for me, the coaching searches where one area where I was fine with Jurich’s lack of transparency. Most people don’t want it know that they are looking for a new gig unless they are using you for a pay raise.

That's exactly right. These gotta-do-it-now folks are using that issue as cover for something else. It's a false narrative without the reasons such as the one you're asking...

I'm not a fan of the new admin and have said as much. I still think that Mack was the right hire and despite my feelings toward Tyra or whoever. I feel like at this point you are simply hating Mack cause he is who the new admin chose. Mack is the person that Jurich would have conceivably chose if Pitino had simply retired. He is the guy right now that seems like one of the new gen of coaches that will be become of the top guys once K, Pitino, Izzo, Self etc... are gone.

Waiting 2 months while the fans are ready to storm the gates is a risky decision for Tyra. Grissom already tried to piss on this hire cause of the price. Who knows what happens in 2 months. Donovan is more than likely going to tell us no, unless he is fired and we would have wasted valuable recruiting time. Maybe Mack is available, maybe he isn't but since a lot of fans think he is the right choice, why wait?

I'm not a fan of the new admin and have said as much. I still think that Mack was the right hire and despite my feelings toward Tyra or whoever. I feel like at this point you are simply hating Mack cause he is who the new admin chose. Mack is the person that Jurich would have conceivably chose if Pitino had simply retired. He is the guy right now that seems like one of the new gen of coaches that will be become of the top guys once K, Pitino, Izzo, Self etc... are gone.

Waiting 2 months while the fans are ready to storm the gates is a risky decision for Tyra. Grissom already tried to piss on this hire cause of the price. Who knows what happens in 2 months. Donovan is more than likely going to tell us no, unless he is fired and we would have wasted valuable recruiting time. Maybe Mack is available, maybe he isn't but since a lot of fans think he is the right choice, why wait?
Ask yourself this, do you really believe that if CRP had decided to retire, Pitino would have chosen Mack? Isn’t that what you’re saying because its well documented that TJ trusted CRP in everything. I don’t see a connection between Mack and Pitino, especially with all the coaching disciples Rick has.

I'm not a fan of the new admin and have said as much. I still think that Mack was the right hire and despite my feelings toward Tyra or whoever. I feel like at this point you are simply hating Mack cause he is who the new admin chose...
There's no hate; Mack is tainted because Tyra is. But in truth, I'm from Missouri on both of them. No reason to be an optimist unless you've just made up your mind to be that way.

There's nothing U of L leadership has done in the last six months to cause any objective bystander to be optimistic. That's why donations have fallen off a cliff...

Honestly, I didn't expect Tyra to sign anyone as good as Mack. I expected someone like Scotty Davenport, Kenny Payne, Tom Crean, David Padgett... Nothing against those guys but they're not even remotely ideal candidates for Louisville HC.

Honestly, I didn't expect Tyra to sign anyone as good as Mack. I expected someone like Scotty Davenport, Kenny Payne, Tom Crean, David Padgett... Nothing against those guys but they're not even remotely ideal candidates for Louisville HC.
Let’s see. Mack’s salary is about 4 million. Right now that’s above Huggins, Beilein, Marshall, Jay Wright, buzz Williams, Smart, Bennett, Avery Johnson, Dana Altman, Pearl, Mike White, Brey, Cronin, Keatts, Roy Williams, Boeheim, Holland, etc.
But 4 million is a little below NBA coaches salaries like Hoiberg, Steve Kerr

Yep, $4 mil is almost as much as Petrino makes. Mack better hit the ground running...

Ask yourself this, do you really believe that if CRP had decided to retire, Pitino would have chosen Mack? Isn’t that what you’re saying because its well documented that TJ trusted CRP in everything. I don’t see a connection between Mack and Pitino, especially with all the coaching disciples Rick has.

I don't believe that Jurich simply tells Pitino to choose his successor. I'm sure Pitino would have had input and someone like Keatts would have had a much greater chance at least being considered though. Its kind of crazy to think Jurich who has done so well at hiring coaches would completely put this decision in Pitino's hands.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Let’s see. Mack’s salary is about 4 million. Right now that’s above Huggins, Beilein, Marshall, Jay Wright, buzz Williams, Smart, Bennett, Avery Johnson, Dana Altman, Pearl, Mike White, Brey, Cronin, Keatts, Roy Williams, Boeheim, Holland, etc.

Whats your point? Are you arguing that Mack is overpaid?

There's no hate; Mack is tainted because Tyra is. But in truth, I'm from Missouri on both of them. No reason to be an optimist unless you've just made up your mind to be that way.

There's nothing U of L leadership has done in the last six months to cause any objective bystander to be optimistic. That's why donations have fallen off a cliff...

Is their a reason to doubt Mack just because? Even if I don't trust the admin I think Mack is a good coach. I understand the doubt of the admin but do you really have a problem with Mack or them? If its just them what does that have to do with Mack being the right coach or not?

Is their a reason to doubt Mack just because? Even if I don't trust the admin I think Mack is a good coach. I understand the doubt of the admin but do you really have a problem with Mack or them? If its just them what does that have to do with Mack being the right coach or not?
The taint with Mack is he's not a good enough coach, that Tyra "settled" by signing him. He's a good coach. but he's not great. He might be successful here, but he might not.

And before anyone says "duh", that's not a scenario that a program of U of L's stature should have to accept. A lesser program, maybe, but not U of L. You should be able to get a coach that's more of a guaranteed success.

Look at this way... Was Mack any better than the other Xavier coaches when they were hired to go elsewhere? And what have any of them done?...

I think this is where I'm leaning. I have a low opinion of our admin. I thought Tyra was overmatched on this job search. I doubt he has the ability to handle a complex search where you evaluate a lot of candidates. It seems like he focused on one guy and perhaps thanks to that guy's wife's connections to the city of Louisville, perhaps luck, we got a better coach than I expected from Tyra.

What’s my point? What’s your point? That Mack is a better coach than all those guys?

Huggins and Beilein have more history than Mack but whether are will be better 5 years from now is debatable. Both coaches are on the downsides of their careers and not really viable options. Jay Wright isn't leaving Nova and up until 2016 a lot of fans would have argued he was overrated. Roy Williams isn't leaving UNC and he makes a shockingly low amount of money. Boeheim is a hall of famer who is going to retire at Cuse.

I do think that Mack is better than all of the other college coaches named. Some fans may have preferences but you can't name any of those guys and say that any of those guys would simply out coach Mack. Throw in a sketchy history for Holland and Pearl and they aren't even candidates.

Steve Kerr isn't leaving the Warriors so his salary doesn't matter. You have lauded Hoiberg cause he coaches in the NBA but his team is terrible. He also has a worse college resume than Mack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT