ADVERTISEMENT

It's a bad year to be sitting out

rockycard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 8, 2007
There is no doubt in my mind that we'd be going to another ff, Mangok would've been back as well as Anas. Oh well, I'm still enjoying some of these games.

Last edited:
This is the way it will be from here out. Parity is everywhere in college basketball...

Thank our big shots falling on their face - again.
Frankly, I believe we would probably have gotten beat by some high seed. With Mangok and Anas back, we might have done some damage - if they were playing at peak strength. But there was a reason Lee and Lewis found their actual competitive levels as the season wore on. Turns out, they ended up being our primary weaknesses. Sorry, just the way it is.

Frankly, I believe we would probably have gotten beat by some high seed. With Mangok and Anas back, we might have done some damage - if they were playing at peak strength. But there was a reason Lee and Lewis found their actual competitive levels as the season wore on. Turns out, they ended up being our primary weaknesses. Sorry, just the way it is.
Sounds like a ball of confusion. The kids played well except for the last game. No doubt they got backstabbed by actions beyond their control, and that was demoralizing for them and everyone else. Meanwhile, the big shots slither on, the little guys take the rap.

This thread should go away. Eastwood, we know you're just trying to make us suffer more by saying what if. I agree we could have gone deep but we could have ended up like Michigan st. too.

The team wasn't the same after the win over UNC (when the ban came), the players played differently, and even coach said he lightened things up.

Reactions: American Male
It is hard to say, but this tournament has shown that everyone has good players. A defensive minded MSU shoots 55 percent from the field and loses. Virginia shoots lights out against Butler in the second half and it still comes down to the final 3 minutes.

Here is where playing in the ACC helps every team in the tournament. Every single game is a grind. FYI, Virginia is really good but Iowa State will give them problems because of their style of play.

Again, UL had a real chance this year. You guys had scoring and defense. That's what's going to win it this year.No one here could telll me one team that could stop UL from doing those two things.

Reactions: Louisville JD
Again, UL had a real chance this year. You guys had scoring and defense. That's what's going to win it this year.No one here could telll me one team that could stop UL from doing those two things.
With the primary actors returning, losing the fading Lee and Lewis will be a step up.

This is the way it will be from here out. Parity is everywhere in college basketball...

Parity may be everywhere, but look at the final 16. Not many Cinderellas. Cream comes to the top. All that being said, from what I've seen, UL deserves to have been in that final 16. Better coached and much better defense than just about every team I've watched so far.

It's tough sitting out when the tournament is so wide open. Kansas and UNC look like locks but the other two final four spots are up for grabs. I probably won't watch many games but will keep my bracket updated.

Hopefully by next year all our issues are behind us and we can enjoy this time of the year once again.

Which brings up the point.... I do think it's interesting to look at the preseason poll in the link above. How many of the preseason Top 10 are still playing?

Everyone but UK?

Parity may be everywhere, but look at the final 16. Not many Cinderellas. Cream comes to the top. All that being said, from what I've seen, UL deserves to have been in that final 16. Better coached and much better defense than just about every team I've watched so far.
That's because the Sweet 16 this year has HIGHER seeded teams surviving than the last five years...

Average Seed of Sweet 16 Teams
2016: 4.13
2015: 4.38
2014: 4.94
2013: 5.00
2012: 4.56
Ideal: 2.50

That flies in the face of this year being some sort of missed opportunity. Of course, it's a relative seeding process. SOMEONE has to be a one seed, and maybe that's the point: a one seed ain't what it used to be. Regardless, I don't think this year or any other year from now on is the best year to compete. If you're playing well, any year is that year...

So much of a team's success in the tourney is about matchups. The only team of all the teams so far I would have not wanted to play is UVA. They manhandled us both times. I would have loved to see UL play anyone else, including UNC and Kansas.

UNC has definitely stepped it up on D. Villanova has also impressed me but it will be interesting to see them against Kansas.

Depends on how you define Cinderella. It is by seeding or conference affiliation? This year has seen the most wins by double-digit seeds. As a matter of fact, we saw a 10 v 11 last night go down to the wire in the Sweet 16. Add to that a 6 v 7 go down to the wire as well.... which if seedings played out, none of those 4 would have been on the court.

On the flip side, all four 1's are still alive, so while there is parity, the cream is rising.

This indeed is a bad year to be sitting out. Our 71-65 win over North Carolina looms larger, as well as the performance of Syracuse. We would likely have made a deep run, and no one should forgive the administration for what happened to our team, who should be playing. My letter to the governor is on it's way.

Didn't think that at all. Everyone thought this was a bridge year for UK.

C'mon now Clive; absolutely NO ONE even uttered the phrase "bridge year" until AFTER UK was eliminated from the tourney. And that is actually a compliment; UK fans NEVER accept that they are not a title threat until they are literally eliminated. Claiming "everyone thought this was a bridge year for UK" is simply false and revisionist history at it's finest.

C'mon now Clive; absolutely NO ONE even uttered the phrase "bridge year" until AFTER UK was eliminated from the tourney. And that is actually a compliment; UK fans NEVER accept that they are not a title threat until they are literally eliminated. Claiming "everyone thought this was a bridge year for UK" is simply false and revisionist history at it's finest.
That's not true. After so many players left last season it was pretty clear this wan't going to be a Final Four year for UK.
Next year however will be a banner year or bust.

That's not true. After so many players left last season it was pretty clear this wan't going to be a Final Four year for UK.
Next year however will be a banner year or bust.

It IS true. UK has many players leave EVERY year, and every year, they believe they have a Final Four capable team...until they are eliminated. And that's not a bad thing, but it IS the truth. They know Calipari's team's generally gel late in the season and usually enter the NCAAT on a hot streak, after winning the SECT. So, it IS revisionist to claim your fans knew this was going to be a "bridge year", because literally NOBODY made that claim until the season was over. And as far as I can tell, you are the only one to use that term after the season.

I also heard plenty of talk about how good this Uk team would be from their fans and how they would lose no more than 2 or 3 games in SEC play at the most and win the SEC outright quite easily. Also talk of going to the Final Four again with this team. I literally never saw any Uk fans saying this was a "bridge year" for Uk. Clive, if you are inferring that the majority of Uk fans thought and said this past season was going to be a bridge year then I really can't believe anything you say because that simply wasn't true.

I don't have it in front of me but how much scoring, rebounding etc did UK lose this past year? How does that compare to other seasons? It's pretty obvious UK wasn't going to have the banner year they had in the past.

With just the finals to go and having watched some good basketball, the sweet 16 may have been as good as we could have done. I doubt Mango and Anas would have been in a position to make a significant contribution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT