ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a little more optimistic than most.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
This game when you look at the final numbers was lost at the FT line. The Cards actually made 4 more 3 pointers than Bellarmine but shot 8 less FT's.

That's something we normally don't see at the Yum center when playing mid level non conference teams like Bellarmine. Cards had more rebounds, more blocked shots but Bellarmine shot more FT's.

This was the best performance by the Cards in their 3 games played but obviously it was not enough. I see improvement in each game and the rotation is starting to be revealed.

The Curry/Wheeler combo needs help getting the ball down on the block but I think both can be effective if and when they get more opportunities.

Mike James is going to be a top player by the end of the season. The trio of him and Withers and Lands give the Cards huge potential to be the difference in winning enough games to avoid a losing season. Lands need to start making some shots though.

Huntly Hatfield and Traynor provide solid depth but both need to continue to improve each game.

And then there's Ellis and apparently no one else at guard. Don't get why KP is playing his son over Basili and Miller has to be used so Ellis doesn't have to play 35+ minutes each game. Ellis is a hard player to get a true read on. Sometimes he's great, looks like a top PG with a good 3 point shot, but then he makes some really dumb decisions like trying to get into a 3 point shooting zone by taking some bad shots at bad times.

I think there's enough good talent in the 7 to 8 guys who play to form a team that should avoid a losing record. They play hard and so far have improved each game. They're going to need the coaching staff to really keep at it and make the right adjustments during the season.

A first time head coach is not idea for this team. Just think how more confident we fans would be if Pitino was coaching these guys. Regardless of what you think about him, he excelled with limited rosters and turned the tables on the perception his team isn't talented enough to win.

KP will go a long way with his potential as a head coach if he can get this group to overachieve and avoid player mutinys often seen when fans and media question their abilities.

After the debacle in the first exhibition game I wasn't sure it was possible but despite losing to Bellarmine I saw a spark, a team that wants to prove that they have talent. They're working to improve at the intangibles of the game, and to withstand some of the deficiencies of the roster. Something last seasons team had little to none of.

Reactions: glassmanJ and Deeva
next 2 games are must wins. Wright State (tomorrow) and Appalachian State (Tuesday).

after that we have 3 tough games in Maui.

The problem with Curry, IMHO, is that his offensive game is not suited to this style of offense (ball movement, player movement and passing). He’s a post up power forward - somewhat undersized against most ACC programs. I don’t foresee him thriving under these conditions, but of course I hope I’m wrong.

I like many things about JaeLyn Withers’ offensive game. On defense, I’d like to see him better utilize his length by extending his arms out away from his body. He’s 6-9, but on defense as far as cutting down on the passing lanes, he plays as if he is 6-2.

The improvement from game to game has been very noticeable. Hopefully that trend will continue, and we get that first official win of the Kenny Payne era tomorrow.

Reactions: Mayoman
It is now all about how this staff can prepare these kids both fundamentally and mentally as the season progresses. As others have already posted, their is evidence of improvement, and that is encouraging.

I watched the MSU and Zags game last night and the half court games by both teams were as physical as any I have seen in college basketball …… surprisingly, the Zags (Timme) matched the Spartans underneath. We have the size to match, but no where close to the intensity that was displayed there. I have to think that between Manning and KP, there is more than sufficient experience in getting Wheeler, BH-H, Withers and Curry to assert their size and physicality …….otherwise it is going to be a much longer season than it should be.

They win both games if they just don’t do stupid things down the stretch. Ellis is wonderful but he is too up and down with his emotions. Late in the game he is terrible. James misses a dunk in a epic way.

I blame Curry for not staying it tip top shape. I will blame KP if he keeps playing him with his low energy and lack effort on defense.

Mack wasn’t good last year at all but he was a good coach before these players made him garbage. He couldn’t get through to them either.

The kids want to win but they have no clue how to do it at this level. Good pieces to work with so we will see what happens.

They win both games if they just don’t do stupid things down the stretch. Ellis is wonderful but he is too up and down with his emotions. Late in the game he is terrible. James misses a dunk in a epic way.

I blame Curry for not staying it tip top shape. I will blame KP if he keeps playing him with his low energy and lack effort on defense.

Mack wasn’t good last year at all but he was a good coach before these players made him garbage. He couldn’t get through to them either.

The kids want to win but they have no clue how to do it at this level. Good pieces to work with so we will see what happens.
Have to disagree with the Mack part of your post. His downfall last season, at least on the court, was trying to completely change his entire system to one he had no idea how to run and operate. It was a panic move on his part and it showed.

Reactions: glassmanJ
This season will be a
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Bring on the 23-24 season.

Yeah, I wanted this to be a good comeback story. One for the ages. One that made us all proud to be Cards fans. Still could be but looking highly unlikely. Instead it’s turning into an absolute nightmare.

Not sure this season can be salvaged. Sad times for Louisville basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT