ADVERTISEMENT

I want to encourage all UofL fans

gocds

15000+
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2001
to start a massive cheer during the 1st quarter of the MSU game "WE WANT TOM, WE WANT TOM". That should catch the ears of the interim prez and the "new" BOT.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We don't all want Tom if Coach P is indeed Coach #2. Clean house.

I disagree with that. If Rick went rogue and behind Tom's back what could he have done? Lets not let the basketball program deter from the fact that every other sports team at UofL under Tom Jurich has been in complete compliance with the NCAA. Under Tom Jurich 20 out of 21 sports team are in complete compliance with the NCAA. He should not have been fired.

Reactions: CardsFirst
to start a massive cheer during the 1st quarter of the MSU game "WE WANT TOM, WE WANT TOM". That should catch the ears of the interim prez and the "new" BOT.

I don't want Tom. He chose to ride or die with Pitino. He chose poorly. I applaud all that Jurich has done, but given what's happened there is no way the athletic dept can continue to run as its own kingdom. I can't see Jurich handling that well.

Then don't cheer. You'll be in a very small minority, but WTH.

I'll cheer for those that deserved to be cheered for - the athletes. It's time to look forward. Trust me, there are other people out there that can finish what Tom helped start and they can do it without wearing a scarlet letter.

Reactions: nccardfan
I'll cheer for those that deserved to be cheered for - the athletes. It's time to look forward. Trust me, there are other people out there that can finish what Tom helped start and they can do it without wearing a scarlet letter.

Suit yourself. The majority disagree with you.

Suit yourself. The majority disagree with you.

I think the opinion tide has turned. I think people are coming around to the John L Smith notion that "it's time tear off the rear view mirror". You should consider it, its very cathartic.

I can argue it either way with equal enthusiasm.

Lately I've learned some things. Some good, some bad.

I think if TJ comes back, he will be neutered. He will not have near the power he's had. I'm not sure he can operate like that.

And I'm not sure this power is not what got him. Thought he was untouchable.

But, I can see how he could get us back up too.

There is no easy way to get through this.

Reactions: Mayoman
I’m on the fence because if Pitino is coach 2 well keeping Jurich could make the NCAA penalties worse. Maybe? Why because it looks like we didn’t clean house. Before yesterday I was strongly in Jurich’s corner and I’m still leaning that way. If he was looking the other way we would have issues throughout all the sports, which we do not. I will never fault someone for being loyal. That is a good trait. So I hold no ill will towards Jurich for fighting for Pitino. And as for Jurich if kept being neutered; I believe whoever the AD is Postel and the board will have a thumb on them. That will have a negative impact on our athletics. So I guess I’m for keeping Jurich. But understand if he’s not retained.

I understand and appreciate what Tom has done for the University overall. I absolutely hate what's going on, but if you read two of his job descriptions, they include monitoring a team's players and making sure coaches are complying with all of the NCAA and school regulations. I think in this regard he gives his coaches too much free reign and it just happens that one of these took advantage of it. He is also responsible for negotiating the deal with adidas and although we are not the only school in question, who else is responsible for making sure these shoe companies aren't compromising their athletes. It's unfortunate but in the NCAA TJ is going to be held responsible for failure for monitoring a coach on his staff. Who knows, if we didn't have all the other stuff going on, TJ could plea "I didn't know" and survived. That excuse doesn't fly anymore.

Yesterday morning i had the opinion that maybe just maybe Tom gets out of this and is brought back and was on board with it. After it was nationally said that Pitino is indeed C2, my thoughts have changed.

There is NO and I mean No chance he comes back nor should he.

As far as Pitino, if he is C2 then he is a sleez and a fraud and I am glad that he is gone. His legacy is forever tarnished.

As far as Petrino goes.....the ball is legally now in his court. He has a way out of his contact now that Jurich is gone. Will he leave....maybe. Who cares. We will be alright and we will get a good coach, maybe even Brohm.

Yesterday morning i had the opinion that maybe just maybe Tom gets out of this and is brought back and was on board with it. After it was nationally said that Pitino is indeed C2, my thoughts have changed.

There is NO and I mean No chance he comes back nor should he.

As far as Pitino, if he is C2 then he is a sleez and a fraud and I am glad that he is gone. His legacy is forever tarnished.

As far as Petrino goes.....the ball is legally now in his court. He has a way out of his contact now that Jurich is gone. Will he leave....maybe. Who cares. We will be alright and we will get a good coach, maybe even Brohm.

IF Petrino does leave after the season, we WILL get a great coach be it Brohm or whoever.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
IF Petrino does leave after the season, we WILL get a great coach be it Brohm or whoever.
I like your confidence, but the time for that would have been last year. We are likely to be stuck in limbo. A lot of good coaches moved around last year. The only guys I see wanting to move are Charlie strong and Lane Kiffin. I'll pass on those guys.

I like your confidence, but the time for that would have been last year. We are likely to be stuck in limbo. A lot of good coaches moved around last year. The only guys I see wanting to move are Charlie strong and Lane Kiffin. I'll pass on those guys.

Where is BP going? Not exactly on the hot list right now. But if we have another late season collapse, he could very well be on the hot seat and then we would want him to leave.

I understand and appreciate what Tom has done for the University overall. I absolutely hate what's going on, but if you read two of his job descriptions, they include monitoring a team's players and making sure coaches are complying with all of the NCAA and school regulations. I think in this regard he gives his coaches too much free reign and it just happens that one of these took advantage of it. He is also responsible for negotiating the deal with adidas and although we are not the only school in question, who else is responsible for making sure these shoe companies aren't compromising their athletes. It's unfortunate but in the NCAA TJ is going to be held responsible for failure for monitoring a coach on his staff. Who knows, if we didn't have all the other stuff going on, TJ could plea "I didn't know" and survived. That excuse doesn't fly anymore.
You make a lot of good points.
I've kinda flip flopped on this topic all week.. On one hand I totally agree with you, Ricky is TJs responsibility, if he had fired him after Sypher, or at least strippergate we would be way down the road from this cluster F right now.
On the other hand, TJ has a lot of deep pocket boosters behind him that could be beneficial to keeping the BOT at bay and keep athletics revelant..

Tough choice, I guess I can find a way to be ok with it either way but there really is something about a total cleansing and fresh start that sounds pretty good..

Where is BP going? Not exactly on the hot list right now. But if we have another late season collapse, he could very well be on the hot seat and then we would want him to leave.

You wanna bet CardVille? The reason school's haven't come after him was because TJ was smart and put a huge buyout on his contract. That buyout is now in half and one any SEC school outside of Vandy and maybe Missouri can afford.

Make no doubt about, you will see Tennessee and Texas A&M reach out to Petrino after they fire their head coaches. Wouldn't shock me to see Florida, Auburn or South Carolina reach out to Petrino as well. The SEC is such a mess right now there will plenty of schools who would love to have Petrino.

My biggest concern with losing TJ is that weird BOT. The individuals picking our next AD will pick a puppet. I certainly don’t want that. Sure TJ was loyal to RP so. Most of the fan base wanted RP to stay after both prior issues. So I guess everyone that wanted RP to stay should pick a new college team. I’m still waiting to find out what really happened with coach 2. Don’t get me wrong RP is finished here and agree with that. But I’m not ready to see TJ go merely for loyalty. Depending on what comes out about coach 2 and I’ll wait for an official word not leaked info to form my opinion. However I will tell you over the last 24 hours it’s trending towards bringing TJ back.

The student athletes don’t want him gone, a group of business people are highly pissed that he was suspended and maybe gone, and Stone from the UL athletics board yesterday said in an interview that TJ has done far to much good here to be let go for nothing more than being loyal. And that the TJ story at UL is far from over. Does that sound as if he’s completely gone.

Reactions: zipp
After the season and Bowl game is over, we will find out if Petrino will stay loyal to Louisville or not.

If Petrino leaves after everything Louisville (Louisville not Jurich) did for him then good riddance. I don't want him here. However, I don't think he will go. I really think he wants to make a name for himself here.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I have no dog in this fight but my take on this is that BOT wanted to clean house even before this latest scandal. No doubt Ramsey, Jurich and Petino ran things, they sure did got things done. I drove my college buddy last year down Floyd street, we are from Florida, and he was blown away by the facilities. While some lines may or may have not been crossed, sometimes always playing nice is nice, but UL is in the ACC and has unreal facilities. Maybe the BB program may take a few temporary steps back, but take a look at all the other sports that have flourished. Do you really think that all the other blueblood schools in any sport have always done things the honorable way? I don't. How many of you wish that Jurich and Petino never came to UL and were still in the AAC? I may be way off base but I think UL has a net win.

I have no dog in this fight but my take on this is that BOT wanted to clean house even before this latest scandal. No doubt Ramsey, Jurich and Petino ran things, they sure did got things done. I drove my college buddy last year down Floyd street, we are from Florida, and he was blown away by the facilities. While some lines may or may have not been crossed, sometimes always playing nice is nice, but UL is in the ACC and has unreal facilities. Maybe the BB program may take a few temporary steps back, but take a look at all the other sports that have flourished. Do you really think that all the other blueblood schools in any sport have always done things the honorable way? I don't. How many of you wish that Jurich and Petino never came to UL and were still in the AAC? I may be way off base but I think UL has a net win.

Nice perspective from an outsider. The majority seems to want Jurich to remain. I don’t think it will have much baring on what the NCAA decides. Does anyone know what the NCAA would do, they’re so inconsistent. And this whole situation will keep them very busy.

Our Nole guest is on point. I don't care what the NCAA does to us over the basketball mess. More important are big picture issues like who our AD is, issues that are relevant well into the future. Jurich needs to be that guy as long as possible...

Reactions: BPGhost
You cheer "WE WANT TOM"

and I will cheer "CLEAN THE HOUSE"
Was at the game - didn’t hear either “cheer”. I did see and hear a standing ovation for the basketball team AND David Padgett. I’m curious CardVille, et al - were you clapping for Padgett or, were you saying “CLEAN THE HOUSE”?

Because as I see things - those two actions are mutually exclusive.

I have my own opinion, which is irrelevant. I'll tell you what I would like to see regardless of what happens because the man has absolutely earned it:

Tom Jurich Field at PJCS

Wow, amazing how fast some fans jump off the loyalty train.

First, Tom Jurich would have fired Pitino but did not get the chance. Postel said Jurich was not given this chance. This makes the argument that Tom stuck with Pitino Clearly false. As far as Tom not firing Pitino after McGeegate, the majority if the fan base, admin,President, BOT didn't want Pitino fired then as well.

No AD in the country has done more to prevent NCAA violations than Jurich. He invented the concept of permanent NCAA enforcement staffs within athletic departments. UofL has been the model of NCAA compliance for the last 20 years and anyone who knows the subject can attest to this fact.

Replacing Tom Jurich will be a nightmare. Any candidate worthy of the job will not commit to a leadership that terminated Tom Jurich over these facts. Tom is a titan among college athletic administration and his reputation is vast and impeccable.

We have the best AD in the country and nobody is demanding his firing over these facts except Postel and Grissom, and some embarrassed fans. The quick urge to act has made UofL the face of this scandal, not Tom Jurich.

While sitting at the game and seeing we set a record for the most number of kids on AD Honor Roll, my wife said we should keep TJ because of that. She has a point and I am reconsidering my previous opinion. I had been under the impression he is tied to the hip with RP. Sounds like he isnt. Guess we wait and see what the BoT decides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT