ADVERTISEMENT

I believe in my Cards................

We may not win, but the adrenaline that Clemson had has worn off.

Will we ever get a kicker who can reach the endzone? That one thing that every other team seems to have and this game is over.

Bobby wants to kick the ball in the corner of the field of play and force a return. He wants it close to the sideline and endzone and with maximum hang time like a punt. Ask him, he'll tell you...

Reactions: tkdcoach
Bobby wants to kick the ball in the corner of the field of play and force a return. He wants it close to the sideline and endzone and with maximum hang time like a punt. Ask him, he'll tell you...
Okay, that may be the case during the game but late in the 4th quarter up 8 he would be an idiot to maintain that. If he did then he has a lot to explain. But I think it's because he has kickers who can't consistently kick it deep in the endzone so he goes with what you said.

Reactions: BPGhost
Okay, that may be the case during the game but late in the 4th quarter up 8 he would be an idiot to maintain that. If he did then he has a lot to explain. But I think it's because he has kickers who can't consistently kick it deep in the endzone so he goes with what you said.
He also says he wants that because you can usually tackle the return guy before he makes it to the 25-yard line. I don't know why that strategy would change during the game...

Reactions: nccardfan
Midway through the 4th up 8 it doesn't matter if they get it at their own 15, 20 or their own 35. But if they get it at your 30 or they score on the return then it matters.

The risk doesn't match the reward at that juncture of the game.

He also says he wants that because you can usually tackle the return guy before he makes it to the 25-yard line. I don't know why that strategy would change during the game...
Well, because you want the opponent to have to use more time when they're down 8 with 7 minutes to go. It's not like it's a miracle for a returnee to return the ball 77 yards in a football game. Case in point. Clemson doesn't win without that return.

Well, because you want the opponent to have to use more time when they're down 8 with 7 minutes to go. It's not like it's a miracle for a returnee to return the ball 77 yards in a football game. Case in point. Clemson doesn't win without that return.
But he NEVER wants a 77-yard return. And he would argue that proper execution was the problem on that return, not the decision how/where to kick it. Done properly, Petrino thinks that drive starts around the 15-yard line...

But he NEVER wants a 77-yard return. And he would argue that proper execution was the problem on that return, not the decision how/where to kick it. Done properly, Petrino thinks that drive starts around the 15-yard line...
Here's the problem with that - the kick return team has plans to and, is able to properly execute as well. Kick it out of the end zone and that ability goes away. As the RealVille said previously, this "strategy" is used simply because we don't have anyone who can consistently kick it over their heads.

Have you guys thought about how many times a block in the back is called during a return? The percentages are against a big return.
That's another variable--and far more common--in favor of keeping the ball in play. Kickoffs are occasionally muffed, the guy steps out of bounds, catches it on a knee, doesn't down the ball properly, etc. And if it's in that corner, your cover team is only covering half the field.

A guy like Petrino who thinks football in his sleep, I'm sorry, has more credibility than a few of us who have simplified the quest to a guy with a strong leg...

That's another variable--and far more common--in favor of keeping the ball in play. Kickoffs are occasionally muffed, the guy steps out of bounds, catches it on a knee, doesn't down the ball properly, etc. And if it's in that corner, your cover team is only covering half the field.

A guy like Petrino who thinks football in his sleep, I'm sorry, has more credibility than a few of us who have simplified the quest to a guy with a strong leg...
More completely un-nuanced 'zippisms'. Rewatching the game shows literally zero kickoffs "high and in the corners" but instead, shows middle of the field or hash mark kickoffs being caught at the 5-10 yard line. This can't be Petrino's strategy, simply just another BS opinion by the king of BS on this board - zippee the clown.

More completely un-nuanced 'zippisms'. Rewatching the game shows literally zero kickoffs "high and in the corners" but instead, shows middle of the field or hash mark kickoffs being caught at the 5-10 yard line. This can't be Petrino's strategy, simply just another BS opinion by the king of BS on this board - zippee the clown.
Telling me I haven't heard the words roll off of Petrino's tongue, a$$hat??...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT