ADVERTISEMENT

How to get fans back?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The decline in attendance seems more systemic and not just a blip on the radar at UofL. If you have stopped going or know people that have, what are reasons and what are odds they come back into the fold?

Seems to be an issue everywhere but worse here. I wonder if the BB crap is effecting attendance in FB, or just the bad play over the last year? We I thought had a knowledgeable fan base, but it must only be the core. We entered a complete rebuild and many stated that when Satt arrived. Many stated it could take 4-5 years. Instead of lifting up the team some have chosen to turn their backs on the team. Pretty indicative of our society these days. We expect things to happen immediately, you know the microwave society. That’s not how FB works.
With the portal fans in the seat are a huge plus. You never know when a player on a visiting team might be impressed and transfer.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I don’t know anyone who has completely stopped coming to all games, but I know a couple folks who didn’t come yesterday. A couple had kids that had games going on. It seems in the past they would’ve made it work but it just doesn’t seem like there is a huge desire to get to the game. The lack of enthusiasm is troubling. I know my group is not happy with the first come first serve parking for the entire purple lot. We had developed relationships with other groups tailgating around us but now it’s a different group every week. Not trying to be overly dramatic but it feels like a loss of community.
I definitely think the negativity from pending NCAA sanctions in bball has reduced overall men’s sports enthusiasm.

Can’t speak for everyone, and not all of these are my own thoughts. What’s keeping fans away?

Tyra
Satterfield
Blowing leads
Parking changes
Digital tickets
This extremely odd movement to herd fans into The Alley.
The program (recruiting, results,) is just down. It needs a shot in the arm.
Technology.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
The Virginia game was a turning point for Satterfield and the potential for fan enthusiasm, IMO. I don't know how he wins the non-core fans back after that. Just for a start, he has to find a way to win the Duke and Syracuse games and get into a Bowl. Maybe they will show up and give him a chance in next year's opener if he can do that.

I'm not saying any of this is fair or right but that's just how I'm reading it right now.

The Virginia game was a turning point for Satterfield and the potential for fan enthusiasm, IMO. I don't know how he wins the non-core fans back after that. Just for a start, he has to find a way to win the Duke and Syracuse games and get into a Bowl. Maybe they will show up and give him a chance in next year's opener if he can do that.

I'm not saying any of this is fair or right but that's just how I'm reading it right now.

The UVA game was a debacle but the attendance sucked at that game as well.

The sooner people realize we don’t have but 30k “fans” the sooner the heartburn will stop.

Even when we have 55k in the stadium only 30k are FANS. If they were, we wouldn’t have had these pitiful turnouts.

Winning will bring those front runners back.

For what they’re worth.

Reactions: vivid_red and gocds
The sooner people realize we don’t have but 30k “fans” the sooner the heartburn will stop.

Even when we have 55k in the stadium only 30k are FANS. If they were, we wouldn’t have had these pitiful turnouts.

Winning will bring those front runners back.

For what they’re worth.

I realize the core of our fanbase is 30k but it’s important to to keep the next 25-30k engaged. And additionally there seems to be a real lack of enthusiasm for that core base. Maybe winning will heal all but it just seems to me that people have become increasingly apathetic.

Can’t speak for everyone, and not all of these are my own thoughts. What’s keeping fans away?

Tyra
Satterfield
Blowing leads
Parking changes
Digital tickets
Technology.

You forgot the biggie COVID SUCKS. IMO after the Music City Bowl win ‘19. Fans would have been there in the stands, IMO. There are still folks that barely come out of their home.

The folks I miss around us that have been there from opening day of CS, some my age and some much older, have not returned yet. Their seats are empty because they rolled over to next year.
I’m looking forward to the day I get to chat with them again.

Yes, it’s entirely Covid. It’s nothing else.

X, you know we aren’t implying that is our only issue. You had very impactful things listed above, and it’s all real crap with more chite piled on top. 💩 on 💩

Reactions: gocds
I stopped going beginning with the 2018 season. Had 4 season tickets in the lower bowl before that.

My oldest son is just as diehard a UofL football fan as I am, but he moved to Florida with his wife and children in the summer of 2018. My older brother is also a huge fan of UofL football, but at 62 he is no longer healthy enough to walk from the parking lot into the stadium.

So I’ve basically lost “my crew”, but that was only part of the story. In 2018 I chose to buy a competition water ski boat and begin competing again in waterski competitions in the senior division. I was a good competition skier in the 1980’s and early 90’s.

Waterskiing is a wonderful sport, but it is expensive, so UofL football tickets were one of the sacrifices I had to make.

My wife (married in 2019), 21 year old daughter and I were in Louisville yesterday (to drop off my boat for winterization), and we considered going to the ballgame but ultimately decided against it. It turned out to be a good decision, because the only other game I took her to was the 2018 Indiana State game, when we had to endure a torrential downpour and almost could not find a route out of Louisville to the west due to the flooding.

She watched the game on TV with me and when she saw the rain in the second half, she told me that it was a great thing I didn’t take us to the game. She would not have been happy at all to go to yet another game where it rained for hours!

Last edited:
Push, enjoy your sport. It will keep you feeling younger. I would leave too if I lost my FB people. We have two rows of folks that have with us from day one. I missed the first quarter of the first game this year from all the hugs & catching up. Nobody got covid from the hugging either.

Its not like its a new problem. All this "its Vince, its Satterfield, its recruiting, its the Virginia game, its the Wake Forest game blah blah blah. We didn't draw much better when Lamar was here or Teddy's last year when there was about 20,000 on senior day.. Charlie "I'm not cut like that" Strong bitched about attendance the whole time he was here. We will have big games occasionally but most of the time yesterday or a little better is what you're going to get..

I'll be there having fun, if people don't want to come they can stay home and lay on the couch. I don't care..

Its not like its a new problem. All this "its Vince, its Satterfield, its recruiting, its the Virginia game, its the Wake Forest game blah blah blah. We didn't draw much better when Lamar was here or Teddy's last year when there was about 20,000 on senior day.. Charlie "I'm not cut like that" Strong bitched about attendance the whole time he was here. We will have big games occasionally but most of the time yesterday or a little better is what you're going to get..

I'll be there having fun, if people don't want to come they can stay home and lay on the couch. I don't care..
Yeah, TJ had a dream....build it bigger and they will come. TJ didn't have a crystal ball and he missed the future. But I still have a dream that we will fill that place some day in the near future.

As PU shared, there are a lot of reasons that die-hard fans (like myself) are no longer buying season tickets, and we all have our own individual situations that explain the reasons why. Sorry, but Covid is just one of many excuses that are being advanced. Anyone looking around the country (even in Lexington) can see there are a lot of sold-out venues supporting college football teams, so laying on the fear of the virus is hard to justify. With that said, it undoubtedly applies to some here and elsewhere.

I was there Saturday, but it was only a result of being invited as part of a group of 8 very good friends, which included an invitation to meet Neeli in the President‘s pre-game Tent. The forecast for rain dampened Homecoming, and affected turnout, but had the game been scheduled for noon rather than 4 PM, it would have missed the rain entirely. No one could have predicted that until Friday night.

Here is my explanation for just this last game attendance;

The home loss to UVA (particularly in the manner) sucked whatever enthusiasm was starting to bubble for this team. There was a real sense of momentum, and while the UVA crowd was modest in size, it showed a trend in increase, and was as loud and supportive as any of the larger ones. UL fans want and expect success, and the disappointing loss to the Cavs kept a good number of those same fans away Saturday.

if this team can beat UK on Thanksgiving weekend and wins its Bowl game, I will make a prediction ……..next year we will see a respectable increase in season tickets as the expectations for 2022 will be huge and legitimate. This roster is young and improving each game; we can beat a very good UK team this year.

We need to get a dependable weatherman to control the rain situation AND/OR get a rain dance expert on standby for every game to stop the rain. o_O

If Patton could get his chaplain to write a snow prayer for his tank core to have good weather day on one of his invasion days in WW2 in Germany, we ought to be able to find one too.o_O:cool:

Also, I think we should give away tickets at Convenient Food Marts and Gas Marts for the seats that are not and have not been sold in the end zone and Flight Deck just like the days when we were trying to build the fan base for Howards teams in the old FG Stadium. Goal should be to get folks in the seats anyway we can.:mad::eek:o_O:cool:

Give tickets to elementary and high schools and youth groups and fraternities, etc. to energize the younger fans and get them to the game. Think outside of the box like we used too. The youngsters just might buy some items at the concession stands (who knew) and even bring a parent or older sibling along for the game. :)o_O:cool:

Get the soldiers and military retirees a game day with ID Card used as the ticket for entry. Collect up the homeless and panderers and bring them in. Okay, maybe not that but hell...let's get creative and not worry right now how to make money on tickets sales that aren't happening anyway. Just get butts in the seats. Be crazy.

What are some of your crazy ideas? Hope someone from marketing in the A Office is reading this board and thread. Call me crazy....but let's do something different. Just maybe some of them that come will get hooked, and come back, and become loyal Card fans. Heaven knows we need to capture some new blood in this fan base.

Okay the guys in the white shirts just showed up and I have to end this rant and go with them Bye Bye!!! PH stop calling them on me please.o_O:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: SoulSr and PHCARD
Jeezzzz

We gave tickets away at food marts in the 60’s and 70’s and haven’t lived it down yet with the blue bellies

No, hell no to this.

Military and schools I can live with.

But if winning and a good schedule don’t bring ‘em out then so be it.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Jeezzzz

We gave tickets away at food marts in the 60’s and 70’s and haven’t lived it down yet with the blue bellies

No, hell no to this.

Military and schools I can live with.

But if winning and a good schedule don’t bring ‘em out then so be it.
I truly wish there was a emogi for sarcasm.

IDC what the blue bellies have to say they couldn't even give their tickets away during their bad years of which there have been many. You don't either really do you?

The man asked how can we get fans back or fans in the seats? What are your ideas crazy or otherwise?

I said crazy on my ideas....and time to think outside the box. Thought you could see the irony and sarcasm in my post but I guess not. So serious these days. Get with Prince and "Let's Go Crazy".

Future attendance will likely not improve in the near or distant future if the young fans are not included in the fix. Us oldsters will be dying out and then what???

Now RC, please get off my lawn...you young un. o_O ;)

Reactions: WKCard

IDC what the blue bellies have to say they couldn't even give their tickets away during their bad years of which there have been many. You don't either really do you?

The man asked how can we get fans back or fans in the seats? What are your ideas crazy or otherwise?

I said crazy on my ideas....and time to think outside the box. Thought you could see the irony and sarcasm in my post but I guess not. So serious these days. Get with Prince and "Let's Go Crazy".

Future attendance will likely not improve in the near or distant future if the young fans are not included in the fix. Us oldsters will be dying out and then what???

I have noticed a younger fan base, particularly young families. Maybe that's always been the case and I'm just slow to notice. But, notice I have. Also, regarding older fans, I think there is a desire to move out some of the older fans for younger ones. My parents got B&W Club seats about 20 years ago. It required a one time donation. $10K, I think it was. Well, UofL is starting to play games. My dad is no longer with us, but my mom is getting the sense UofL wants her seats freed up so UofL can once again get that one time donation. From a dollars and cents perspective, I get it. But, on the other hand, there is no reward for loyalty. UofL has already taken away one of her Bronze Lot passes.

I'm looking at the attendance numbers in the media guide. We aren't that far removed from the largest home game attendance record in school history- Notre Dame, 2019, 58,187. 61,000 is capacity. It's moot to discuss last year's numbers, given the pandemic, but 2019 had an average home attendance record of 45,806. 30K is typically the number for annual season ticket holders. 2018 had an average of 49,708. The year before that, 47,889. 2016 saw an average of 48,837. So, there's been consistency. This year, I don't know, it just feels different. It's not just one thing. It's a combo of a lot of things. I think Tyra's timing was off with the parking changes and digital tickets. Don't poke an already angry bear.

I just got an email regarding my basketball season tickets whereby for 10 home games I will get access to free food in the spirit room before the game. This is a very low cost thing for the university but certainly makes me feel more connection. I think things like that would go along way. I’ve had season tickets for 20 years and don’t think I’ve ever gotten invited to anything for football.

A buddy of mine has Bears season tix. So one game a year they give him a pass to go down onto the field during warmups. Again, this is a low cost thing but goes along way. If I could take my kids onto the field before the game, they’d think I was pretty cool.

I’m honestly not worried about the small crowds.

Short lines. Easy traffic in/out.

It’s on the people who don’t come. Not me.

Im sure all the pompous, “hey, look at ME! I’m at the GAME” crowd will be back when the winning starts.

Meanwhile I’ll enjoy looking down and seeing CFBM’s developing bald spot. o_O :p;)

Tyra
Satterfield
Blowing leads
Parking changes
Digital tickets
Technology.
Neither Tyra or Jurich determined whether I come to a game or not.

Coaches never affected my decision either.

Blowing leads is part of FB and if you know and understand the game...is not a factor to stop me for cheering my favorite team.

Parking changes...yes, yes on that one. Maybe revisit prior methods.

Digital tickets....yes, yes especially when they don't work very well...makes for angst and stress that none of us need in our lives....Go back to paper please.

??? on the Alley movement....please explain

Recruiting is an ongoing process. The current #'s of young players on the roster impact this issue and process. I trust the staff with that process and issue...as the TFR are showing that they have talent and can play at P5 level.

Technology....If you mean big screen TV's at home...then yes. An alternative is not to televise so many of the games and force fans to come if they want to see the team play. Not my favorite idea as I live 4 hours away from Louisville.

Lot of good thoughts you put together though. Any solutions come to mind?

Neither Tyra or Jurich determined whether I come to a game or not.

Coaches never affected my decision either.

Blowing leads is part of FB and if you know and understand the game...is not a factor to stop me for cheering my favorite team.

Parking changes...yes, yes on that one. Maybe revisit prior methods.

Digital tickets....yes, yes especially when they don't work very well...makes for angst and stress that none of us need in our lives....Go back to paper please.

??? on the Alley movement....please explain

Recruiting is an ongoing process. The current #'s of young players on the roster impact this issue and process. I trust the staff with that process and issue...as the TFR are showing that they have talent and can play at P5 level.

Technology....If you mean big screen TV's at home...then yes. An alternative is not to televise so many of the games and force fans to come if they want to see the team play. Not my favorite idea as I live 4 hours away from Louisville.

Lot of good thoughts you put together though. Any solutions come to mind?
Fans not going because of Tyra and/or Satterfield are protesting. Plus, there's a trend with Satt and blowing leads. Choking happens. Choking a lot turns people off, however.

The anti Tyra folks think his parking changes are to discourage long time fan traditions, thus encouraging them to tailgate at The Alley, which Tyra has personal stake in. No one wanted changes to parking. No one was calling for a new place to tailgate. Seeing certain fans on social media talk up The Alley like it's Mecca is kind of weird. "Need tickets? Go to The Alley." I saw some chatter about moving Card March to The Alley, because that's where the "real fans" are. It's ridiculous.

My solution- don't fix what isn't broke. Don't create what isn't needed.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
My grandson uses my flight zone tickets (4) and those young guys left and watched the balance of the game at a sports bar. I don't blame them. My friend has wonderful tickets on the west side just barely under cover and that's where we were on Saturday. Parking within a stone's throw. So there you have it for this 78 YO old codger.

GO CARDS!!!

4 factors that are all related.

1. Sports attendance is declining EVERYWHERE. It's a national trend. 60 inch HD TV's work better than paying all that money for parking and sitting in the cold.

2. COVID-19 has hurt attendance for so many as people just aren't getting back out. Big games will sellout, but we haven't had a big game yet.

3. 2018 really just killed our fanbase. We reached such highs under Charlie and then Lamar, but then we plummeted. 2019 was a good way to get us back somewhat, but we still got killed against Miami, Clemson, and sUcKs. Then 2020 was a step back. We just need to believe again. We were used to NFL talent all over the field and some don't buy into a rebuild.

4. The ACC Schedule just isn't as fun. The ACC has been DOWN. We used to have our yearly games with Cincy, WVU, sUcKs, and a fun non-conference opponent like Miami. Our schedule now playing BC, Cuse, Wake, NC State, & UVA yearly isn't as fun because they aren't really powerhouses nor do we have any traditional rivalry with them. Florida State is down. Clemson has beaten us every year. I wish we were in the other division because I would feel more connected to a schedule against Miami, VT, Pitt, UVA, UNC, and Duke and figure out a decent cross-divisional foe.

Even in basketball, the old Big East basketball was way more fun. UConn, Pitt, Cuse, Nova, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Cincy, WVU, etc. It was just more fun in those days. We fit in that league and it just felt like every game was big because every game mattered. Today? Duke, FSU, UNC, UVA, and Cuse are big games but don't feel like rival, but BC, VT, GT, Miami, Wake, NC State, Clemson? Even Pitt and ND don't feel the same like they fit in the ACC. Rick had a point when talking about leaving being a mistake.

We were a king in the G5, but not we're middle of the pack in the ACC. Doesn't mean our team wouldn't still dominate the AAC like Cincy, Houston, Memphis, etc., but it's harder to stand out in the P5.

The new Big 12 would be more fun IMO. WVU, Cincy, Ok State, UCF, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Houston, BYU, Texas Tech, & Iowa State would be a much better and more exciting slate of opponents.

Reactions: CardinalJim
It’s not little brother complex but I think it has to start with beating UK first. It’s just because you see it everyday in your work, grocery store, restaurant, neighborhood and media. I’m just a moodier person when we lose to them, especially when you enter each season of some hope of having a really good FB season. We can have a good season just going to a decent bowl game but it’s always better if it includes a win against the kitties…

I understand why fans aren't coming to the games. I think the biggest reason is/was Satterfield's flirtations with South Carolina during a losing season. We all knew this was going to be "rebuilding" process and I think most of the fanbase, although not happy with how the 2020 season was going, was going to give Satterfield a pass. Especially how he over-preformed in 2019. Then he interviewed for USCjr AND in his press conference pretty much said he would look at jobs in the Carolinas. Most of the fanbase checked out then.

Now we enter into the 2021 season and we hear all of the hype. The defense was deep, we are returning a ton of starters on offense, the new guys look amazing, best defense since Strong was here, etc. Then we get blown out by Ole Miss. Which in itself wasn't the worst part. The worst part was that we didn't look any better than we did last year. Follow that up with another lackluster game against EKU and the die was cast.

Yes, we bounced back against UCF, but then we drop 2 more winnable games against UVA and Wake. UVA being the most painful. To make matters worse there isn't a real pattern of overall team improvement for an awesome recruiting class that you can point to that will give fans hope things will get much better. Yes, the defense played a great game against BC ( who was starting a back up QB), but then the offense sputters for most of the game.

We are in year 3 of Satterfield's tenure and honestly the team looks about the same as it did in his first year with a slightly better defense, and a less explosive offense. We seem to have settled into being an average ACC team.

If Satterfield wants to win the fanbase back the first thing he has to do is win. Second, win in a way we can see improvement in the team from week to week. We need to see the team get better. Fans need to see more improvement. Yes, the defense is better, but we seem to have this one step forward one step backwards thing with this team. Third, we have to see much better recruiting. Much better. this will give fans hope for the future and bye Satterfield more time. Fourth, win big. Let's start blowing people out.

We are in year 3. These are mostly Satterfield's guys in the program. We have lowered the bar for this program to allow him more time. But we gotta see something to make us believe we are going in the right direction. I don't want to be like UK and wait 6-7 years to go 6-0. We are UL. We expect more.

Thank you all for responding. I don’t agree or maybe understand all the points but most of what y’all said makes sense.

It’s crazy just how stupid Satt was in his flawed flirtation with USCjr and how bad a taste that left in many fans mouths.

No doubt winning cures a lot of sins. I think with our non-traditional fanbase winning in eye-pleasing fashion goes a much longer way.

There is a general malaise I think some people have these days. A segment of society hasn't gotten back to their lifestyle pre pandemic.

It may not be just about not being comfortable out in public. Many people took a financial hit that might have changed their ability to do things they previously did.

I think every post in the thread covers a piece of it.

No UL fan was anymore disappointed in SS’s flirtation with the So Carolina opening than myself, but I am not sure what affect it has had on home attendance, but it sure did nothing to encourage fans to support this team.

While it has little, if anything to do with home attendance; I cannot help but question why our stadium cannot produce quality video replays on the jumbo screen. For those of us who really “get into the actual game”, it is particularly frustrating to sit there waiting for a review decision without an opportunity to see the replay. There were several times during Saturday’s game that I wished I was at home watching it on TV, so I could see for myself what took place on the field.

233, while I've noticed things no quite t up to par at CS this year. I've noticed for 18 mths now service, quality, quantity, value and just flat out barely anything is as it was before covid sucks.
So I've learned to not have high expectations of much of anything in goods/services world.

But I have walked away from some businesses that I've done business with for decades. Not because they lack service folks, but because they are a China shop, or they are practicing like everything is normal and being deceptive in their business with me.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
No UL fan was anymore disappointed in SS’s flirtation with the So Carolina opening than myself, but I am not sure what affect it has had on home attendance, but it sure did nothing to encourage fans to support this team.

While it has little, if anything to do with home attendance; I cannot help but question why our stadium cannot produce quality video replays on the jumbo screen. For those of us who really “get into the actual game”, it is particularly frustrating to sit there waiting for a review decision without an opportunity to see the replay. There were several times during Saturday’s game that I wished I was at home watching it on TV, so I could see for myself what took place on the field.
I think UofL doesn't want to rock the boat with the officials. They'll show a replay sometimes during a review, but it's not often. Speaking of reviews- there's too damn many of them.

Reactions: Mayoman and PHCARD

I don't remember what they cost, but our Jumbo Trons are just for commercials. And I'm not happy with the sponsors for taking replays away for their commercials.

The sponsors would, IMO, get better PR if there was a THIS REPLAY SPONSORED BY........instead of the commercial.

And why the hell do they think they have to tell us to GET LOUD on opponents 3rd downs? Show the damn play to those who have a bad angle/are at the far end of the field etc.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think UofL doesn't want to rock the boat with the officials. They'll show a replay sometimes during a review, but it's not often. Speaking of reviews- there's too damn many of them.

The NFL is just as bad with reviews. Commercials/Ads, I’ve have completely tuned out. They aren’t selling me chite. I now have a mute button in my head that I click and a remote in overdrive. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT