ADVERTISEMENT

How to get fans back?

i just bought tickets for the first time in a decade (just to see Lamar be celebrated) and here are all the reasons we have chosen not to go...
1. seats are uncomfortable and too close together if you are not paying the big bucks
2. the speaker system is so fffing loud it's absolutely annoying and any time they play music i do nto want to be anywhere inside the stadium. felt this way for 20 years, absolutely hate the loud speaker system. i guess down in the lower bowl people can;t hear but up above it sucks beyond belief.
3. too many games at noon, and if we went and got a lead we were the ones who left early. even if we don't tailgate, it's a six hour day on a saturday, our time is better spent.
4. you are only there to get the feeling of the game as in most cases seeing the ball is tough depending on where you sit. instead i can sit at home and get every angle and replay.
5. tv commercials take too long adn it's annoying for someone who has an I.E. degree to see players and refs standing there for minutes waiting for commercial to come back. we waste a good thirty minute s a game for no reason.
6. all in all, i can skip commercials, fast forward and see all the plays if i stay at home adn watch on the 70" tv. and i can watch a game in under two hours and get four more hours of other stuff accomplished. going to games consistantly is for people in there 20s and retired people but for most others, just more important things to do in life.
7. they simply don;t win enough to spend money on the chance you walk out complately deflated after a brutal 4th quarter failure. start winning consistantly and the people will come back. jsut look at uk. their attendance is way up.
8. and finally, we used to win in CUSA when competition was weak, we upgraded but our team did not and thus we lose more now. not as fun to watch a team where you have no confidence in winngin, no matter who has been the coach.
9. concession lines always sucked and always missed great plays waiting to grab something. now i hit pause and walk to the fridge

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
i just bought tickets for the first time in a decade (just to see Lamar be celebrated) and here are all the reasons we have chosen not to go...
1. seats are uncomfortable and too close together if you are not paying the big bucks
2. the speaker system is so fffing loud it's absolutely annoying and any time they play music i do nto want to be anywhere inside the stadium. felt this way for 20 years, absolutely hate the loud speaker system. i guess down in the lower bowl people can;t hear but up above it sucks beyond belief.
3. too many games at noon, and if we went and got a lead we were the ones who left early. even if we don't tailgate, it's a six hour day on a saturday, our time is better spent.
4. you are only there to get the feeling of the game as in most cases seeing the ball is tough depending on where you sit. instead i can sit at home and get every angle and replay.
5. tv commercials take too long adn it's annoying for someone who has an I.E. degree to see players and refs standing there for minutes waiting for commercial to come back. we waste a good thirty minute s a game for no reason.
6. all in all, i can skip commercials, fast forward and see all the plays if i stay at home adn watch on the 70" tv. and i can watch a game in under two hours and get four more hours of other stuff accomplished. going to games consistantly is for people in there 20s and retired people but for most others, just more important things to do in life.
7. they simply don;t win enough to spend money on the chance you walk out complately deflated after a brutal 4th quarter failure. start winning consistantly and the people will come back. jsut look at uk. their attendance is way up.
8. and finally, we used to win in CUSA when competition was weak, we upgraded but our team did not and thus we lose more now. not as fun to watch a team where you have no confidence in winngin, no matter who has been the coach.
9. concession lines always sucked and always missed great plays waiting to grab something. now i hit pause and walk to the fridge

Sounds like it will be tough to get you back into the stadium on a regular basis. Definitely a lot of folks don’t see the in-stadium experience as exciting enough to beat watching at home.

Reactions: genowe
Yep, going to games is definitely not for you. I got depressed just reading that post..

Getting the fans back is pretty simple … win a lot of games. Winning ACC championships, qualifying for the playoffs, winning playoff games … those are the types of success that creates fan interest, creates “big games”, and drives ticket sales.

Can’t speak for anyone but myself. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 05. I also have season tickets for women's basketball and baseball.

I live north of Cincinnati so I drive 250 miles round trip for home games. I missed one home game between 2005 thru 2017. In 18 I skipped the UK game because I couldn’t bring myself to sit in the middle of a bunch of Cat fans ato our stadium and watch us get clobbered.

Last year I stayed home because of Covid. My wife has been fighting cancer for 4 years now and I wasn’t about to go into crowds and risk bringing that home.

I was looking forward to this year but the whole experience has left me considering dropping my tickets next year. First my tickets are in the no alcohol section. I have no problem with people who drink responsibly. Unfortunately some of our fans don’t. I could avoid those fans by sitting in 204. The ban is no longer enforced. Last week there was a vendor selling beer in the section and I saw him sell a beer to a kid who couldn’t have been 19. It used to be that most of the people in 204 were season ticket holders. Now it mostly seems to be single-game purchasers or the student athletes from other sports who all leave before halftime. The wait to buy concessions has improved since EKU but not much. I know it’s picky but the “It’s Thiiiiiird Down” is like fingernails on a blackboard. For some reason the trip back and forth just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Even during the Kragthorpe years I enjoyed the game day atmosphere enough to make up for the commute.

In the future I’m sure I’ll attend some football games but it’s unlikely I’m going to get season football tickets again.

Can’t speak for anyone but myself. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 05. I also have season tickets for women's basketball and baseball.

I live north of Cincinnati so I drive 250 miles round trip for home games. I missed one home game between 2005 thru 2017. In 18 I skipped the UK game because I couldn’t bring myself to sit in the middle of a bunch of Cat fans ato our stadium and watch us get clobbered.

Last year I stayed home because of Covid. My wife has been fighting cancer for 4 years now and I wasn’t about to go into crowds and risk bringing that home.

I was looking forward to this year but the whole experience has left me considering dropping my tickets next year. First my tickets are in the no alcohol section. I have no problem with people who drink responsibly. Unfortunately some of our fans don’t. I could avoid those fans by sitting in 204. The ban is no longer enforced. Last week there was a vendor selling beer in the section and I saw him sell a beer to a kid who couldn’t have been 19. It used to be that most of the people in 204 were season ticket holders. Now it mostly seems to be single-game purchasers or the student athletes from other sports who all leave before halftime. The wait to buy concessions has improved since EKU but not much. I know it’s picky but the “It’s Thiiiiiird Down” is like fingernails on a blackboard. For some reason the trip back and forth just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Even during the Kragthorpe years I enjoyed the game day atmosphere enough to make up for the commute.

In the future I’m sure I’ll attend some football games but it’s unlikely I’m going to get season football tickets again.

Wow…you have been a dedicated fan. Hope your wife is doing well in her fight.

I hope someone at UofL sees this regarding the alcohol - that should be an easy fix. The third down call is definitely ear piercing.

Reactions: PHCARD and gocds
Its not like its a new problem. All this "its Vince, its Satterfield, its recruiting, its the Virginia game, its the Wake Forest game blah blah blah. We didn't draw much better when Lamar was here or Teddy's last year when there was about 20,000 on senior day.. Charlie "I'm not cut like that" Strong bitched about attendance the whole time he was here. We will have big games occasionally but most of the time yesterday or a little better is what you're going to get..

I'll be there having fun, if people don't want to come they can stay home and lay on the couch. I don't care..
John L. Smith complained about it. So your correct this isn’t a Vince or Satt thing. They’re just a convenient escape goat.
And any fan that bails because we lost a game when the team is clearly improving isn’t much of a fan in the first place. Louisville isn’t Bama, we don’t have nor have we ever had great recruiting so that’s not on Satt either. People act as though we’re some recruiting juggernaut. I’ve been a fan for 45 years and in that time we’ve had some marquee wins, but big programs have those frequently. And the reason those teams did that is because they play big games yearly in conferences. Now we’re in the ACC truly growing our brand and growing into our new big shoes. It takes time and I think if we give Satt time will get there.
Problem is our biggest asset the fans have become entitled instead of hungry. No fans in the stands equals poor recruiting. A wild stadium absolutely helps recruiting, obviously it doesn’t guarantee it.
So the fans that don’t attend out of spite our basically shooting them selves (Program) in the foot.

Reactions: PHCARD and Mayoman
John L. Smith complained about it. So your correct this isn’t a Vince or Satt thing. They’re just a convenient escape goat.
And any fan that bails because we lost a game when the team is clearly improving isn’t much of a fan in the first place. Louisville isn’t Bama, we don’t have nor have we ever had great recruiting so that’s not on Satt either. People act as though we’re some recruiting juggernaut. I’ve been a fan for 45 years and in that time we’ve had some marquee wins, but big programs have those frequently. And the reason those teams did that is because they play big games yearly in conferences. Now we’re in the ACC truly growing our brand and growing into our new big shoes. It takes time and I think if we give Satt time will get there.
Problem is our biggest asset the fans have become entitled instead of hungry. No fans in the stands equals poor recruiting. A wild stadium absolutely helps recruiting, obviously it doesn’t guarantee it.
So the fans that don’t attend out of spite our basically shooting them selves (Program) in the foot.
What I like is the "we're used to winning crowd" while we have had some good success here and there, we mostly weren't playing the caliber of schedule we play now. Hell at our previous conference stops getting to play BC would've been reason for excitement. Now we play them at home, draw a poor crowd, win by 2 touchdowns and people are crying..

And the kicker is, most of the people crying and not showing up will be the same people crying when Satterfield gets things rolling then takes another job, where they actually have good fans.. I think we can pay whatever we want but that may not keep a coach that wants to go somewhere that has tradition of fans showing up and being part of the program.

Our fans are going to be what they've always been. Sunshine fans.

Reactions: Smithereen
What I like is the "we're used to winning crowd" while we have had some good success here and there, we mostly weren't playing the caliber of schedule we play now. Hell at our previous conference stops getting to play BC would've been reason for excitement. Now we play them at home, draw a poor crowd, win by 2 touchdowns and people are crying..

And the kicker is, most of the people crying and not showing up will be the same people crying when Satterfield gets things rolling then takes another job, where they actually have good fans.. I think we can pay whatever we want but that may not keep a coach that wants to go somewhere that has tradition of fans showing up and being part of the program.

Our fans are going to be what they've always been. Sunshine fans.
What we’ve had here and there, actually, is losing. Since “new” Cardinal Stadium has been home, there have been 4 non winning seasons. 4 not great years since 1998. We aren’t a blue blood, never will be. For an urban university, though, with hardly any tradition, that’s pretty damn good. We have fought and clawed as a program, and to see things kind of on shaky ground, it’s unfortunate to see all that blood, sweat, and tears be for naught.

Reactions: PHCARD

Best wishes to you and your wife in her courageous battle against that terrible disease. 😌

Getting the fans back is pretty simple … win a lot of games. Winning ACC championships, qualifying for the playoffs, winning playoff games … those are the types of success that creates fan interest, creates “big games”, and drives ticket sales.
that's my point, and if you're not winning, see my previous post about reasons not to be at the game. but on a side note, to be back at a game, instead of getting the cheap seats and being in places i never liked to sit before, i've bought in the faculty section in the new end so we'll see how much change has happened in that time and i'll report back on the results.

Even though I love what Tom Jurich did and accomplished during his tenure at UofL, I do think we overbuilt our football stadium. The North Endzone should never have happened. We are a 50K football program like many of our fellow ACC conference mates. Oh sure there are games (ND/Clemson/uahkay) that we will get 55K+ but the vast majority of games we will be much closer to the 45K number on a consistent basis. But hindsight is always easy to predict. We are what we are and we should just make the best of it. I'd love to see the numbers on our season ticket sales.

GO CARDS!!!

Yes

You get a pass for years of dedication.

We have a lot of folks on here that think they’ll be yong forever. Boy, are they in for a rude awakening. :(

Best of luck to your wife!!!

I mean the question is this, would we rather be Cincy right now?

Because that’s what we were in 2013 when we left. It’s what WVU was when they left. Miami hasn’t won an ACC title since joining. It’s what happens in the power 5.

I think what happened is there was always an upward trajectory and another goal, but it kinda feels like we peaked? Maybe that’s the thought?

We were independents playing in a crappy baseball stadium. Howard created a monster and played the toughest schedule. Got us to a big time bowl.

Then we actually got in a conference. We got a state of the art stadium to open. We started getting ranked consistently. We beat teams like FSU. We even landed some good recruits.

Then we got that bid to the Big East. A real conference in the BCS. We were top 5 and competing for a playoff spot. We won a BCS Bowl. Then we got a legit coach that brought in legit recruits. We beat the crap out of Florida in a 2nd BCS bowl win. We had NFL talent all over the roster.

Then we finally hit the Power 5. We have FSU and Clemson in our division. We have so many NFL draft picks. Recruiting is attracting talent at a higher level. Then we have Heisman winner and we compete for a title. Then it crashed.

We kept moving up and moving up. There was always a goal. But I think now we won’t be satisfied unless we are a program that’s always ranked, but it’s not easy. We aren’t Clemson or FSU. Even teams like Miami, UNC, and VT have advantages over us. Not to mention competing with BC, Wake, NC State, UVA, Pitt, etc type teams. We aren’t getting another Lamar to boost us.

We’ve reached the top level, but there’s no other brass ring other than being a title contender. And go look at the playoff rankings the last few years. Look at the old BCS. It’s the same teams.

And in the ACC, right now outside of Clemson, there’s not NAME program that feels like a big game anymore. We’ve beaten FSU and Miami and they aren’t elite anymore. Even good wins or games against say a ranked WF, doesn’t have the hype. We don’t even really have a rival in the conference we can care about like we used to with Cincy and WVU.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I mean the question is this, would we rather be Cincy right now?

Because that’s what we were in 2013 when we left. It’s what WVU was when they left. Miami hasn’t won an ACC title since joining. It’s what happens in the power 5.

I think what happened is there was always an upward trajectory and another goal, but it kinda feels like we peaked? Maybe that’s the thought?

We were independents playing in a crappy baseball stadium. Howard created a monster and played the toughest schedule. Got us to a big time bowl.

Then we actually got in a conference. We got a state of the art stadium to open. We started getting ranked consistently. We beat teams like FSU. We even landed some good recruits.

Then we got that bid to the Big East. A real conference in the BCS. We were top 5 and competing for a playoff spot. We won a BCS Bowl. Then we got a legit coach that brought in legit recruits. We beat the crap out of Florida in a 2nd BCS bowl win. We had NFL talent all over the roster.

Then we finally hit the Power 5. We have FSU and Clemson in our division. We have so many NFL draft picks. Recruiting is attracting talent at a higher level. Then we have Heisman winner and we compete for a title. Then it crashed.

We kept moving up and moving up. There was always a goal. But I think now we won’t be satisfied unless we are a program that’s always ranked, but it’s not easy. We aren’t Clemson or FSU. Even teams like Miami, UNC, and VT have advantages over us. Not to mention competing with BC, Wake, NC State, UVA, Pitt, etc type teams. We aren’t getting another Lamar to boost us.

We’ve reached the top level, but there’s no other brass ring other than being a title contender. And go look at the playoff rankings the last few years. Look at the old BCS. It’s the same teams.

And in the ACC, right now outside of Clemson, there’s not NAME program that feels like a big game anymore. We’ve beaten FSU and Miami and they aren’t elite anymore. Even good wins or games against say a ranked WF, doesn’t have the hype. We don’t even really have a rival in the conference we can care about like we used to with Cincy and WVU.
This

We’ve joined 45 other P5 schools who’s “brass ring” is 2nd or 3rd in their conference ( and sometimes their division) for the last 60 years.

The top 20 today are the same as 30 years ago for the most part.

uk has their best team in 5O years and does anybody give them a shot at the NC?

Would we rather be Cincy? Monetarily no.

But I’d say they have a lot more fan attendance, excitement, and ANTICIPATION than us, or maybe 35 other P5 teams.

We’ve “arrived”. There is really nothing to look forward to except the next game. And unless you are simply a football fan that won’t get you out there.

And we only have about 30k of those.

If we don’t push for the ACC title regularly we won’t have crowds anymore.

Reactions: LeFors4Ever
What we’ve had here and there, actually, is losing. Since “new” Cardinal Stadium has been home, there have been 4 non winning seasons. 4 not great years since 1998. We aren’t a blue blood, never will be. For an urban university, though, with hardly any tradition, that’s pretty damn good. We have fought and clawed as a program, and to see things kind of on shaky ground, it’s unfortunate to see all that blood, sweat, and tears be for naught.
All for naught ? Really. Are we in a P-5 conference now ? Are we in position to be considered for the college football playoff with a great season ? Thats what all those years of blood sweat and tears got us. We've had a Heisman Trophy winner, thats what all that blood sweat and tears got us.

The ACC may not be the SEC but its the toughest conference We've ever been in. Our strength of schedule is probably higher than its ever been. Remember when we were in CUSA and just being able to beat Southern Miss was a big deal ? Where are they now ? Remember the Big East and beating West Virginia was a reason to celebrate ? When is the last time you heard from them ? All those schools moved up in competition and haven't adjusted to it yet.. You put this team in any of those other conferences we played in before against those same teams and we would roll through them..

Bubby was 2-10 his last year. 8-5 the year before with Lamar F'n Jackson and lost to a not very good MS team in a bowl game. Satterfield was 8-5 his first year with a bowl win. A tainted covid year last year. And this year is 4-3 against a top 20 schedule and two field goals away from being 6-1..

I would bet if we were 5-1 going into that BC game the crowd would've only been marginally better.. People who are loyal fans take the good with the bad and don't look for reasons not to show up like the St James Art Show from goodness sakes.. I'll always be there having fun with my friends as long as I'm able and the people that don't want to come piss on'm I don't even care.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
All for naught ? Really. Are we in a P-5 conference now ? Are we in position to be considered for the college football playoff with a great season ? Thats what all those years of blood sweat and tears got us. We've had a Heisman Trophy winner, thats what all that blood sweat and tears got us.

The ACC may not be the SEC but its the toughest conference We've ever been in. Our strength of schedule is probably higher than its ever been. Remember when we were in CUSA and just being able to beat Southern Miss was a big deal ? Where are they now ? Remember the Big East and beating West Virginia was a reason to celebrate ? When is the last time you heard from them ? All those schools moved up in competition and haven't adjusted to it yet.. You put this team in any of those other conferences we played in before against those same teams and we would roll through them..

Bubby was 2-10 his last year. 8-5 the year before with Lamar F'n Jackson and lost to a not very good MS team in a bowl game. Satterfield was 8-5 his first year with a bowl win. A tainted covid year last year. And this year is 4-3 against a top 20 schedule and two field goals away from being 6-1..

I would bet if we were 5-1 going into that BC game the crowd would've only been marginally better.. People who are loyal fans take the good with the bad and don't look for reasons not to show up like the St James Art Show from goodness sakes.. I'll always be there having fun with my friends as long as I'm able and the people that don't want to come piss on'm I don't even care.
Meanwhile, we’ve got a coach who doesn’t want to be here, an AD who doesn’t know what he’s doing, former players questioning the current culture and play calling, and, as a result, pissed off fans. Not Johnny Come Lately fans, either. I’m talking long time fans. There are issues with the program that go beyond wins and losses.

Start winning games that you're not supposed to win,like this game against NCSt,and the excitement level will draw the fans back.
TV does not help,but that segment of fans that are staying at home will not if they feel like they have a chance to be a part of something exciting.

Start winning games that you're not supposed to win,like this game against NCSt,and the excitement level will draw the fans back.
TV does not help,but that segment of fans that are staying at home will not if they feel like they have a chance to be a part of something exciting.
I truly hope you’re right for two reasons

#1 being that we’re winning. :p

20 years ago, or even 10, we would have NCST and even WF and UVA circled on the calendar.

Today it’s “just” another game. We play them every year.

We have one BIG conference game that we will seldom be favored in, and one BIG OOC game that will have as many of their fans as ours it seems.

But we’re getting the big conference money. And that seems to be all that matters with most schools today.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Meanwhile, we’ve got a coach who doesn’t want to be here, an AD who doesn’t know what he’s doing, former players questioning the current culture and play calling, and, as a result, pissed off fans. Not Johnny Come Lately fans, either. I’m talking long time fans. There are issues with the program that go beyond wins and losses.
So Tyra hiring Satterfield is the sole issue? Because Tom was so much better at football hires? I mean we are in the shape we are in now because of Tom's last hire.

I just do not care for going to any sporting events. The "experience" is rarely EVER worth the amount of time, money and hassle. People that pay big money to go to basketball games are truly doing the Lords work because basketball games are even worse than football games IMO.

Now.....I do love to tailgate and go to the tailgates for games. To me the tailgate experience is infinitely more fun and rewarding than going to the actual game. If I had my way I would rather tailgate all day and then find a tailgate with a TV and watch the game in the parking lot with a bunch of fans. Thats much better than going to the game.

By the time you pay for parking, pay for the ticket, pay for food and get to and from the game you've wasted almost an entire saturday and spent well over $100. This doesn't even factor in the later in the season games where you have to deal with bad weather and cold temperatures. I've been to tons of tailgates and games at UofL, UK and WVU and I've never had more fun at the game than I did at the tailgate.

You're also paying a bunch of money to potentially go see your team lose and get angry. The cost/benefit ratio of going to games just isn't there for me.

Reactions: rh62531 and kypecos
Well enlighten me on what longtime fans have an issue with beyond wins and losses. If its the firing of Jurich they weren't Louisville fans to begin with and I don't care if they ever come back..

Reactions: gocds
Well enlighten me on what longtime fans have an issue with beyond wins and losses. If its the firing of Jurich they weren't Louisville fans to begin with and I don't care if they ever come back..
Yeah I don't get this loyalty to an AD. Like...what? Who cares who the AD is? If losing an AD made you quit liking your favorite college then you weren't a fan of that college.

Win games and fans will return. The thing about Louisville fans and Louisville football is that we've never had sustained, year in, year out success. For Louisville fans to get hyped and show up we have to be really good. Not just like 8-4 good. BUT....If we can develop and build the program to a level where 7-5 and 8-4 are "down" years then the fans will start showing up for all of the games. This program has been built on extreme highs and extreme lows. For every Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl theres a 2-10 season and a Kragthorpe era and then we start over again with a new coach.

So Tyra hiring Satterfield is the sole issue? Because Tom was so much better at football hires? I mean we are in the shape we are in now because of Tom's last hire.
Well, first of all, the Satterfield hire was a safe one after he failed landing Brohm. No taking chances, no innovation. On paper, Satt looked the part. In actuality, he should have never left that mountain. Fish out of water. Petrino's time here came to an end because Tom was removed as AD. Petrino lost all support when that happened, thanks to the then BOT. He sure did quit. But he didn't quit without reason. BP will always remain one of UofL's greatest coaches, I don't care how it ended.

Well, first of all, the Satterfield hire was a safe one after he failed landing Brohm. No taking chances, no innovation. On paper, Satt looked the part. In actuality, he should have never left that mountain. Fish out of water. Petrino's time here came to an end because Tom was removed as AD. Petrino lost all support when that happened, thanks to the then BOT. He sure did quit. But he didn't quit without reason. BP will always remain one of UofL's greatest coaches, I don't care how it ended.
I don't get what was "safe" about the Satterfield hire.

I also don't get why thats bad.

Who should he have went after? Hiring the safe option is bad, so would you rather he went with a risky hire that nobody heard of? I don't get it. You did the safe thing - you hired the guy with head coaching experience and winning record and culture......WHAT AN IDIOT YOU ARE! Way to make the safe hire. You should have hired some dude nobody has heard of or a former player with no experience.

Did you want him to go the risky way and hire Art Briles?

Satterfield was the exact kind of coach UofL needed....he had no skeletons, was a PR dream after dealing with Petrino for 5 years, he won at App State by developing - which is exactly what he would have to do at Louisville. Now he may be a little too "small town" for Louisville and he may never get his recruiting legs under him here but it was a good hire. It was a highly successful head coach from one of the best small program football teams in the country.

People want to continue to shit on Satterfield and he may not work out but he went 8-4 in year one and his second year was filled with COVID and off the field mistakes and his 3rd year has been filled with on the field mistakes but he's a correct ref call away from being 5-2 and some better defensive calls from his DC away from being 6-1.

Fans, long time season ticket holders, are getting jerked around all in the name of "new" money. I've said this before, so I don't like repeating myself. But, for you, I'll make an exception. There are high dollar seats in Cardinal Stadium that require, or I should say required a one time donation. Fast forward 15-20 years, Tyra wants the older fans out, so he can bring new fans with their new one time donations in. Oh, and all you fine, long time fans in the purple who have tailgated with the same friends and family for 20 years, that's all gone now. Your game day traditions mean nothing to Tyra. But, he sure did build us that nice Alley, for which he has personal stake in. Question- did anyone ask for that? Did anyone ask for their parking/tailgating situation to get totally gutted? There's just a total disrespect to loyal, long time fans going on. Tyra has a disconnect there. Plus, he's not qualified to run an athletic dept. He has no experience. He got the gig because he's a big time donor. That was his only qualification.

I don't get what was "safe" about the Satterfield hire.

I also don't get why thats bad.

Who should he have went after? Hiring the safe option is bad, so would you rather he went with a risky hire that nobody heard of? I don't get it. You did the safe thing - you hired the guy with head coaching experience and winning record and culture......WHAT AN IDIOT YOU ARE! Way to make the safe hire. You should have hired some dude nobody has heard of or a former player with no experience.

Did you want him to go the risky way and hire Art Briles?

Satterfield was the exact kind of coach UofL needed....he had no skeletons, was a PR dream after dealing with Petrino for 5 years, he won at App State by developing - which is exactly what he would have to do at Louisville. Now he may be a little too "small town" for Louisville and he may never get his recruiting legs under him here but it was a good hire. It was a highly successful head coach from one of the best small program football teams in the country.

People want to continue to shit on Satterfield and he may not work out but he went 8-4 in year one and his second year was filled with COVID and off the field mistakes and his 3rd year has been filled with on the field mistakes but he's a correct ref call away from being 5-2 and some better defensive calls from his DC away from being 6-1.
Tyra should have perhaps looked for someone who wasn't looking to immediately leave?? Call me crazy. And if you want to fluff up Satt with his 8-4 year one, Petrino did leave him some pretty good players- Becton, Atwell, Malik, Dez, Hawkins, Creque, just to name a few. I don't like Satt, it's not a secret. Should he win, great. He'll be gone soon. Should he lose, great. He'll be gone soon. You all are hitching your wagons to a short timer.

In fact....last 2 out of 3 before Satterfield (of Krag, Strong, BP2.0). Not a strong (pardon the pun) track record for TJ based on the results those coaches delivered. Especially CBP2.0's last year and 1/2. Go figure.

This thread is diverging from its original intent, but this notion that Petrino quit because he lost support of BOT is wrong. He had several family members employed with the team and his daughter running his foundation. He didn’t throw them all into the trash heap because the BOT didn’t like him.

Tyra should have perhaps looked for someone who wasn't looking to immediately leave?? Call me crazy. And if you want to fluff up Satt with his 8-4 year one, Petrino did leave him some pretty good players- Becton, Atwell, Malik, Dez, Hawkins, Creque, just to name a few. I don't like Satt, it's not a secret. Should he win, great. He'll be gone soon. Should he lose, great. He'll be gone soon. You all are hitching your wagons to a short timer.
Maybe. But I'm not sure how anyone could know what a coaches intentions are in regards to how long they will stay with a program. Satterfield screwed up flirting with Carolina and he knows that. Will he do it again? No clue but in order for him to even to a level where another school would want him he has to win here. Maybe he's our first coach to stay and build something here. I don't think its a forgone conclusion that he would leave at the first sign of success....and again if he does he's going to leave this place a lot better than he found it.

You just never know how or what a coach or a school is going to do. I would never ever have guessed that Stoops would still be at UK. I would never have guessed the school would have allowed him to be as mediocre as he has been for so long and now look - they're entire brand and recruiting is at levels its never been.

People have to stop hating on the coach just because they don't like him. If Satterfield is winning and our program is moving forward then you should be happy. You can't not support your program or hate your coach just because you THINK he MIGHT leave sometime. Enjoy it. I'm not happy with his recruiting, but he's been pretty good this year. Yes we choked away two games - but those are growing pains you live through when you have such a young team and you're dealing with injuries.

Satterfield may never take us to a 10 win season but I'm not sure sitting around hating on him right now because you think he's going to leave or because you don't think he's right guy is a weird way to support your team.

Which is why I'd like to see a legacy some day
That would be great but there's just not a lot of options out there for that to happen. Chris Redman, Jay Gruden, Jeff Brohm, Brian Brohm....not sure who else.

I would love for Eric Wood, Michael Bush or Deion Branch, to get into coaching. Branch is only 42, Bush is 37 and Wood is 35. Those guys are all solid names in the football world and I would love for them to get involved with the program which Wood is already involved in a minor capacity. But I would love for him to actually work with the coaches and have the staff take him under their wing and actually try and develop his coaching ability the same way we would develop a player.

Reactions: Mayoman
This thread is diverging from its original intent, but this notion that Petrino quit because he lost support of BOT is wrong. He had several family members employed with the team and his daughter running his foundation. He didn’t throw them all into the trash heap because the BOT didn’t like him.
When Jurich was no longer there to support him, Bobby knew his time here was done. We all hate the way he left by quitting, but he outsmarted Vince by making him fire him.

In fact....last 2 out of 3 before Satterfield (of Krag, Strong, BP2.0). Not a strong (pardon the pun) track record for TJ based on the results those coaches delivered. Especially CBP2.0's last year and 1/2. Go figure.
Bobby's last year needs to have an * by it. It's not a normal season to cast judgement.

Maybe. But I'm not sure how anyone could know what a coaches intentions are in regards to how long they will stay with a program. Satterfield screwed up flirting with Carolina and he knows that. Will he do it again? No clue but in order for him to even to a level where another school would want him he has to win here. Maybe he's our first coach to stay and build something here. I don't think its a forgone conclusion that he would leave at the first sign of success....and again if he does he's going to leave this place a lot better than he found it.

You just never know how or what a coach or a school is going to do. I would never ever have guessed that Stoops would still be at UK. I would never have guessed the school would have allowed him to be as mediocre as he has been for so long and now look - they're entire brand and recruiting is at levels its never been.

People have to stop hating on the coach just because they don't like him. If Satterfield is winning and our program is moving forward then you should be happy. You can't not support your program or hate your coach just because you THINK he MIGHT leave sometime. Enjoy it. I'm not happy with his recruiting, but he's been pretty good this year. Yes we choked away two games - but those are growing pains you live through when you have such a young team and you're dealing with injuries.

Satterfield may never take us to a 10 win season but I'm not sure sitting around hating on him right now because you think he's going to leave or because you don't think he's right guy is a weird way to support your team.
I don't think he's going to leave. I know he is. I'd still be on board with him if he didn't interview with SCAR. But, he did, after a 4 win season and two years on the job. It was a character reveal.

When Jurich was no longer there to support him, Bobby knew his time here was done. We all hate the way he left by quitting, but he outsmarted Vince by making him fire him.
He may have realized he didn’t have Tyra’s undying support but if he doesn’t have a historically horrible season and an inability to hire qualified assistant coaches he’d still be head coach. Your theory just doesn’t hold water especially when you consider the impact a historically bad season had on his family members that were theoretically up and coming coaches.

He may have realized he didn’t have Tyra’s undying support but if he doesn’t have a historically horrible season and an inability to hire qualified assistant coaches he’d still be head coach. Your theory just doesn’t hold water especially when you consider the impact a historically bad season had on his family members that were theoretically up and coming coaches.
The historically bad season wasn't a coincidence. I won't go as far to say it was by design, but the minute Jurich was removed, Bobby was aiming to get fired.

The historically bad season wasn't a coincidence. I won't go as far to say it was by design, but the minute Jurich was removed, Bobby was aiming to get fired.
I realize Bobby isn’t an exemplary family man but even he wouldn’t have hung his kids and in-laws out to dry by aiming to be horribly bad.

Reactions: kypecos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT