ADVERTISEMENT

How bad is SEC East?

I think a lot of you here are forgetting that UK had us down by three TD's and a field goal at halftime last year. Will that happen this year, more than likely no. However, I've seen great strides in a young UK team over course of the season. They are winning games they wouldn't have post Rich Brooks. Things are starting to click, it's a young team with only 11 seniors.

Now, you all can keep thinking that this is going to be an easy street game forever all you want to you. You can keep slamming me all you want to. No, I'm not going to name names, put personal info out here. I know what I speak of, I spent over 30 years coaching NAIA, DIAA, and DI. I know many still in the game. I still work in athletics. I'll take my 30+ years of on field experience any day.

Smooches and chomps.

You guys have improved record-wise, which ironically could turn out well for us this year. But it doesn't change the fact that 5 weeks ago you all wanted Stoops fired - and then MAC East play started. Kudos for winning those games, but I don't think it's time yet for you to come in puffing your chest.

And if you think anyone is impressed by someone being an NAIA coach, I think you'll be disappointed.

Hugs and kisses.

Reactions: TDredbird
You guys have improved record-wise, which ironically could turn out well for us this year. But it doesn't change the fact that 5 weeks ago you all wanted Stoops fired - and then MAC East play started. Kudos for winning those games, but I don't think it's time yet for you to come in puffing your chest.

And if you think anyone is impressed by someone being an NAIA coach, I think you'll be disappointed.

Hugs and kisses.
Two weeks ago they wanted him fired, then they pulled out a late victory over a bad team and Stoops has them excited.

I think a lot of you here are forgetting that UK had us down by three TD's and a field goal at halftime last year. Will that happen this year, more than likely no. However, I've seen great strides in a young UK team over course of the season. They are winning games they wouldn't have post Rich Brooks. Things are starting to click, it's a young team with only 11 seniors.

Now, you all can keep thinking that this is going to be an easy street game forever all you want to you. You can keep slamming me all you want to. No, I'm not going to name names, put personal info out here. I know what I speak of, I spent over 30 years coaching NAIA, DIAA, and DI. I know many still in the game. I still work in athletics. I'll take my 30+ years of on field experience any day.

Smooches and chomps.
Being down by 21 then still beating you little punks by 14......now what the hell does that say about you punks and your porky little coach?? get lost

You can chill with the condescension. Plus, I don't think you know the complexities of the rivalry. Having said that, UK could win out prior to 11/26 and the boost UofL would receive would be minimal, given the SEC East is as weak as it has ever been.
FWIW
East will have 4or 5 bowl teams - not any different than any other season...it's just "not as good" because the usual ones are down? not a fair assessment of the true situation.

FWIW
East will have 4or 5 bowl teams - not any different than any other season...it's just "not as good" because the usual ones are down? not a fair assessment of the true situation.

Tell that to anyone paying attention to college football this season.

FWIW
Barely making a bowl does not mean a team is good, only Florida is considered above average out of the seven teams. Heck, there were multiple teams making bowl games last year with losing records.

Barely making a bowl does not mean a team is good, only Florida is considered above average out of the seven teams. Heck, there were multiple teams making bowl games last year with losing records.

That's a good point. It's now more uncommon to not make a bowl than to make a bowl, given the number of bowl games and how relatively easy it is to become bowl eligible.

I hope you guys win until you play Louisville. It'll make the game more interesting and we need all the help we can get as far as the schedule. A win over a UK team that has a winning record and some T25 votes maybe even would put some shine on the win. I have to admit, UK vs Bama in the SECCG makes me laugh a little.

^^WTF? How did this get any likes. ^^

I said the SAME thing and you guys kept slapping the sh!t out of me. Lol.

FWIW
4 or 5 LOSING bowl teams.

Yeah, we know. It won't matter. You will have the old "we didn't care about THAT bowl" to fall back on.

Then the media will vote them into next years first top 25 poll.

Same ol same ol.

Reactions: tluck28
^^WTF? How did this get any likes. ^^

I said the SAME thing and you guys kept slapping the sh!t out of me. Lol.

Having skimmed through this thread, I have to agree with the logic of your original point - that UL should want UK to win the East. But here is where I get cross-wise with other so-called "fans". Logic doesn't matter.

If you were to go back in time and into a different universe and write the exact same thing about South Carolina or Vanderbilt and if SC or Vandy was on UL's schedule, everyone would wholeheartedly agree with you. Same argument. Same logic. But a response that would have been 180 degrees different.

About 99% of "fans" have one mindset: "We are 100% good and rival is 100% bad". It is juvenile. It is stupid. It is foolish. It is short-sighted. And it is dull.

If you think about all the big time teams in college football, ALL of them have a big time rivalry. That is, all of them have an annual "must see" game against a team that is (usually) pretty damn good. The two go hand in hand.

Reactions: ImmaTiger
Having skimmed through this thread, I have to agree with the logic of your original point - that UL should want UK to win the East. But here is where I get cross-wise with other so-called "fans". Logic doesn't matter.

If you were to go back in time and into a different universe and write the exact same thing about South Carolina or Vanderbilt and if SC or Vandy was on UL's schedule, everyone would wholeheartedly agree with you. Same argument. Same logic. But a response that would have been 180 degrees different.

About 99% of "fans" have one mindset: "We are 100% good and rival is 100% bad". It is juvenile. It is stupid. It is foolish. It is short-sighted. And it is dull.

If you think about all the big time teams in college football, ALL of them have a big time rivalry. That is, all of them have an annual "must see" game against a team that is (usually) pretty damn good. The two go hand in hand.

Your entire post is spot-on; it's exactly the point of my posts in this thread.

I tip my hat to you, kind sir.

Remember when that Alabama fan poisoned the trees of their rival? That was interesting. Big time football at its best.

Reactions: BPGhost
"About 99% of "fans" have one mindset: "We are 100% good and rival is 100% bad". It is juvenile. It is stupid. It is foolish. It is short-sighted. And it is dull."

It's also called reality. You think BBN is cheering for the Cards to win?

"About 99% of "fans" have one mindset: "We are 100% good and rival is 100% bad". It is juvenile. It is stupid. It is foolish. It is short-sighted. And it is dull."

It's called the mindset of mid-level teams. Beating up on loosing teams gets you a nice record, but it isn't going to get you into the CFP.

Elite teams want others to win, and then they want to beat them.

Weak opponents & schedules keep you out of the playoffs - just ask Washington.

It's called the mindset of mid-level teams. Beating up on loosing teams gets you a nice record, but it isn't going to get you into the CFP.

Elite teams want others to win, and then they want to beat them.

Weak opponents & schedules keep you out of the playoffs - just ask Washington.

The perceived or misperceived "level" of a team is distinctly separate from the mindset of a fan base. You know full well there are many Clemson fans enjoying South Carolina's struggles this season. By your logic, your very team is "mid-level." Having said that, given that the SEC East is so down this year, UK beating unranked conference opponents won't give us much of a boost.

Reactions: TDredbird
Like making a bowl really means anything. You have to suck really bad in the age of 41 bowls not to get one.

The perceived or misperceived "level" of a team is distinctly separate from the mindset of a fan base. You know full well there are many Clemson fans enjoying South Carolina's struggles this season. By your logic, your very team is "mid-level." Having said that, given that the SEC East is so down this year, UK beating unranked conference opponents won't give us much of a boost.

Exactly. The pontificating from this Clemson guy is ridiculous. Go preach to your own fanbase. When I was down there for the game, there were many Clemson fans I talked to that thought it was funny as heck that USCjr was a trainwreck. I don't remember one person saying that they hoped the Gamecocks had any success. And don't even get me started on Alabama-Auburn. I unfortunately lived in Alabama for several years and lets just say the other side reveled in the misery of the other.

Exactly. The pontificating from this Clemson guy is ridiculous. Go preach to your own fanbase. When I was down there for the game, there were many Clemson fans I talked to that thought it was funny as heck that USCjr was a trainwreck. I don't remember one person saying that they hoped the Gamecocks had any success. And don't even get me started on Alabama-Auburn. I unfortunately lived in Alabama for several years and lets just say the other side reveled in the misery of the other.

I didn't say its not OK to enjoy your rival's misfortune; perhaps you should reread my posts.

My point is beating up on your rival when they're "little sisters of the poor" bad isn't going to help you gain national prominence - it only gets you local bragging rights.

If that's all you're looking for I'd suggest that's a little short sighted for the talent level of your team.

A few years ago, our rival was pounding us regularly (hats off to them), but it actually helped them on the national stage. Why? Because we were consistently-ranked team ourselves.

Now that we're beating them, we get very little from it, due the poor state of their program at the moment.

A very similar situation to which you're in now. You need a bump to reach the CFP. UK winning the SEC East and then getting steam-rolled by UofL would help give you that bump.

My apologies if this perspective offends you.

I didn't say its not OK to enjoy your rival's misfortune; perhaps you should reread my posts.

My point is beating up on your rival when they're "little sisters of the poor" bad isn't going to help you gain national prominence - it only gets you local bragging rights.

If that's all you're looking for I'd suggest that's a little short sighted for the talent level of your team.

A few years ago, our rival was pounding us regularly (hats off to them), but it actually helped them on the national stage. Why? Because we were consistently-ranked team ourselves.

Now that we're beating them, we get very little from it, due the poor state of their program at the moment.

A very similar situation to which you're in now. You need a bump to reach the CFP. UK winning the SEC East and then getting steam-rolled by UofL would help give you that bump.

My apologies if this perspective offends you.

I understand your point. It's your condescending manner that is a little much. If we have to rely on Kentucky football to be good for us to "gain national prominence", then yes we are screwed.

I understand your point. It's your condescending manner that is a little much. If we have to rely on Kentucky football to be good for us to "gain national prominence", then yes we are screwed.

It isn't intended as condescending, but rather a candid view of reality.

My apologies if the lack of emotion in my posts makes it read that way; however, Bama consistently gets a boost when they beat Aubbie for this reason.

Regardless, by the narrative of my discussion, South Carolina's win over Missouri means that the Gamecocks haven't been mathematically eliminated from the SEC East.

Unfortunately, I must pull for them to win out.

On a side note, it's interesting that we both have genitalia references for our SEC rivals. South Carolina made it rather easy to explain, but how did your group arrive at "slapd!cks" for yours?

Not that it doesn't fit, just curious if there's a back story to it.

...On a side note, it's interesting that we both have genitalia references for our SEC rivals. South Carolina made it rather easy to explain, but how did your group arrive at "slapd!cks" for yours?...
You're a little confused understandably... "Slapd!cks" is a nickname coined by our coach for LPT fans.

Hope that clears things up... :D

You're a little confused understandably... "Slapd!cks" is a nickname coined by our coach for LPT fans.

Hope that clears things up... :D

I appreciate the clarification, but that actually raises another question:

What's LPT?

Louisville's Play Toy ( - Matt Hayes, The Sporting News, ca. 2006)

And yes, I'm messing with you.

As another, former Louisville coach (John L. Smith) also called them, the "bluebellies" in Lexington, KY. Figure it out now?

It's hard for me to use their actual name... :cool:

Louisville's Play Toy ( - Matt Hayes, The Sporting News, ca. 2006)

And yes, I'm messing with you.

As another, former Louisville coach (John L. Smith) also called them, the "bluebellies" in Lexington, KY. Figure it out now?

It's hard for me to use their actual name... :cool:

Ahhh...makes more sense now.

Thanks for the clarification!

CardX, your post is very spot on. It doesn't take a very long viewing of any Ky site to realize that they spend as much time hoping and praying for UofL's demise as they do cheering for their own team.

Exactly. UofL has zero control over the success, or actually the lack of it at ky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT