ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Your AD Has a Plan B in Mind

JB isn't coming home. He is home right now.
Personally, he’s who I want as a Card fan. I have never said it’s a “done deal” like some. But the Boiler fans that think he’s staying in West Lafeyette for an extended period of time are delirious. If we don’t poach him now somebody else will this year or next - write it down.

And, if you weren’t nervous you wouldn’t be over here running your pie hole.

Personally, he’s who I want as a Card fan. I have never said it’s a “done deal” like some. But the Boiler fans that think he’s staying in West Lafeyette for an extended period of time are delirious. If we don’t poach him now somebody else will this year or next - write it down.

And, if you weren’t nervous you wouldn’t be over here running your pie hole.

I guess Some Boiler fans don’t realize that Brohm is now on the NFL Radar as well...even if we don’t get him he is not long term in West Lafayette IMO

Reactions: wilkie01
Knowing what it's like to see football coaches move on, it's funny to me watching Purdue fans fret over this. It's new territory for them.
Absolutely is. They've never had a coach that other, better programs coveted. As crappy a situation as it is to be in - as we know intimately - it's still better than having some HC that couldn't get laid in a morgue.

I'm honestly surprised by how the Purdue fans have reacted to this entire Brohm-saga.

Its weird that the Xavier fans were more honest and cordial about Mack leaving their program (where he was an alumni and Xavier bball was a better basketball job than Purdue is a football job) than the Purdue fans are about Brohm leaving.

My friends and I have been talking about Brohm replacing Petrino for the last 2 years and when it was evident that Petrino was going to be fired this year we started seriously looking at it. My friends are a pretty large and varied group of people that are Louisville fans, UK fans, OSU fans, WVU fans, Tennessee fans, Florida fans, Notre Dame fans, Florida State fans...

Because we just dealt with the Mack situation we started talking about Purdue fans and none of us thought it would be a "war of words" or a d**k measuring contest with Purdue/fans. Everyone one of us regardless of fanhood all assumed Purdue fans would get the situation and understand Brohm's move and that it would pretty much be a given once we fired Petrino......man, we're we wrong.

Again, thats our own biases/attitudes toward Purdue as they've not really been in the college football picture in recent years but I am a little surprised at just how many Purdue fans not only don't understand the move but are downright arrogant about it and adamant about it and can't fathom why on earth Brohm would make this move.

Absolutely is. They've never had a coach that other, better programs coveted. As crappy a situation as it is to be in - as we know intimately - it's still better than having some HC that couldn't get laid in a morgue.

Hall of Famer Jack Mollenkopf won 87, lost 49 and tied 9 between 1955 and 1969. He retired at age 65 because of cancer. He was 10-4 vs Notre Dame and coached three Heisman Trophy runnersup. His last
Recruiting class had three NFL first round draft picks, Dave Butz, Otis Armstrong and Darryl Stingley.

Joe Tiller compiled the most wins between 1997 and 2008 with a record of 87-62 and took the Boilermakers to ten bowl games in twelve years. He won the Big Ten Title in 2000 abd coached three NFL quarterbacks in Drew Brees, Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter. He retired at agg 65

Reactions: Bluto71
I'm honestly surprised by how the Purdue fans have reacted to this entire Brohm-saga.

Its weird that the Xavier fans were more honest and cordial about Mack leaving their program (where he was an alumni and Xavier bball was a better basketball job than Purdue is a football job) than the Purdue fans are about Brohm leaving.

My friends and I have been talking about Brohm replacing Petrino for the last 2 years and when it was evident that Petrino was going to be fired this year we started seriously looking at it. My friends are a pretty large and varied group of people that are Louisville fans, UK fans, OSU fans, WVU fans, Tennessee fans, Florida fans, Notre Dame fans, Florida State fans...

Because we just dealt with the Mack situation we started talking about Purdue fans and none of us thought it would be a "war of words" or a d**k measuring contest with Purdue/fans. Everyone one of us regardless of fanhood all assumed Purdue fans would get the situation and understand Brohm's move and that it would pretty much be a given once we fired Petrino......man, we're we wrong.

Again, thats our own biases/attitudes toward Purdue as they've not really been in the college football picture in recent years but I am a little surprised at just how many Purdue fans not only don't understand the move but are downright arrogant about it and adamant about it and can't fathom why on earth Brohm would make this move.
Again, it's completely a situation of them being in uncharted territory. Xavier basketball fans have been through the situation multiple times and while I'm sure they weren't excited about it happening again - they had the track record of their program remaining strong. Some of that is obviously due to making the next hire from the existing staff - maintaining continuity with the system, meaning that their current roster - along with those kids they were recruiting - to still be guys that had the requisite skill set for the program. That allowed them to not skip a beat despite the HC turnover.

On the other side of the coin are the boils who are scared shitless that their program will once again slide into the afterthought category. I don't think anyone here has negative feelings towards purdue that will be sustained once this process plays out - one way or the other. Not meant as a dig but it's hard to dislike a program that you never even gave a passing thought to - until JB took the job.

Purdue fans are delusional. They actually try to use the rhetoric of west Lafayette being a better place to live. You can’t have a logical conversation with people like that.

Again, it's completely a situation of them being in uncharted territory. Xavier basketball fans have been through the situation multiple times and while I'm sure they weren't excited about it happening again - they had the track record of their program remaining strong. Some of that is obviously due to making the next hire from the existing staff - maintaining continuity with the system, meaning that their current roster - along with those kids they were recruiting - to still be guys that had the requisite skill set for the program. That allowed them to not skip a beat despite the HC turnover.

On the other side of the coin are the boils who are scared shitless that their program will once again slide into the afterthought category. I don't think anyone here has negative feelings towards purdue that will be sustained once this process plays out - one way or the other. Not meant as a dig but it's hard to dislike a program that you never even gave a passing thought to - until JB took the job.

Love Jeff. Will be Happy if he stays and finishes what he started. Expect he will move on after Brady graduates high school. No fears about the future because $4 million puts you in rarified air among potential Power5 head coaches.

I agree. Purdue has never been "a thing" in my life so thats part of why its surprising.

I'm going to admit something in this post....I'll take a picture of them if people don't believe me. I love basketball shorts, I have tons of them. I obviously have a bunch of Louisville shorts but I buy tons of random teams but I never buy "big name" schools shorts I only buy programs that are small and super random or bigger schools that never win. Just so people will be like, "why do you have _____ shorts on?" lol

I have Washington State, Old Dominion, Wyoming, some college in Alaska, Indiana State, FAU, Rhode Island, I even have some Virginia (bought them long, long before UL was in the ACC), Georgia Tech, and Vanderbilt shorts, just to name a few.....but I also have a pair of Purdue shorts. lol. So that's where Purdue has been viewed most of my life and I did always get asked why on earth I was wearing Purdue shorts when I wear them because they're gold and have that big Purdue train on the leg.

Purdue fans are delusional. They actually try to use the rhetoric of west Lafayette being a better place to live. You can’t have a logical conversation with people like that.

Nothing beats a college town and that comes from somebody who was born and raised in Chicago and lived Wheaton, Il., in Sugar Land outside Houston and Forest Hills in Nashville. That’s why about 80% of the current AP Top 25 are schools in college towns.

I guess Some Boiler fans don’t realize that Brohm is now on the NFL Radar as well...even if we don’t get him he is not long term in West Lafayette IMO
You're right he (Brohm) won't be at Purdue long. I kinda expect to see him coaching the Auburn Tigers within the next 2 years.

Hall of Famer Jack Mollenkopf won 87, lost 49 and tied 9 between 1955 and 1969. He retired at age 65 because of cancer. He was 10-4 vs Notre Dame and coached three Heisman Trophy runnersup. His last
Recruiting class had three NFL first round draft picks, Dave Butz, Otis Armstrong and Darryl Stingley.

Joe Tiller compiled the most wins between 1997 and 2008 with a record of 87-62 and took the Boilermakers to ten bowl games in twelve years. He won the Big Ten Title in 2000 abd coached three NFL quarterbacks in Drew Brees, Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter. He retired at agg 65

Leroy Keyes was a stud. Played both ways. I lived in Lafayette from 1961 to 1967 when I was a kid.

All fanbases have their share of fire breathing, unmitigated AH’s and Purdue and Louisville are no different
in that regard. From my perspective UofL sports have been elevated to where they are today by an overly ambitious individual who while quite gifted and enterprising did a disservice to the community by preventing the natural evolution of your city into the home of one or more professional teams. I am intimately familiar with that mentality from my time in Nashville. The Louisville sports model absolutely necessitates winning football and basketball and the absence of professional sports. The only similar situation that comes immediately to mind is Columbus and they have certain population and high school football traditions in their favor that can’t be duplicated. Unfortunately, the quest for constant winning can be intoxicating and creates the potential forvthe circumstances that toppled a President, an AD, a basketball coach and ultimately a football coach.

Reactions: satboiler

Once again you have not done your homework. Gene Keady was courted by and turned down offers from Arizona State and San Francisco among others. Matt Painter turned down the Missouri job five years ago.

I agree...I have no dislike towards Louisville at all. Have never given them a second thought in regards to anything...either academically or athletically. Different conference, different type of school, and much different student-athletes that are recruited by the two schools. We rarely are in a position where the two schools should ever care about the other one. I don't think our program will slide into the afterthought category with the commitment that has been made at levels of the university much higher than Jeff Brohm. Certainly want him to stay, but understand if he leaves due to it being his hometown and alma mater.

Once again you have not done your homework. Gene Keady was courted by and turned down offers from Arizona State and San Francisco among others. Matt Painter turned down the Missouri job five years ago.
And once again in your effort to refute a position you believe to be critical of purdue - you have missed the larger point. The context of these comments about purdue being in uncharted territory was in reference to its football program and also included the caveat of "other / better" programs.

Giving purdue the benefit of the doubt - those examples are ridiculous. It would be like a Louisville fan saying that it's coach was desirable because DePaul wanted them. Unless you are saying that ASU, San Francisco and Missouri are better BB programs than purdue?

Lol - "homework".

You're right he (Brohm) won't be at Purdue long. I kinda expect to see him coaching the Auburn Tigers within the next 2 years.
I expect that Auburn is keeping that seat warm for Porky Stupes - the king of the 6 year turn around. When that happens, the battle between Big Hillbilly Nation and the Troy fan base over who has the better program for neal brown will be a real bloodbath...

Reactions: CommodoreCard
And once again in your effort to refute a position you believe to be critical of purdue - you have missed the larger point. The context of these comments about purdue being in uncharted territory was in reference to its football program and also included the caveat of "other / better" programs.

Giving purdue the benefit of the doubt - those examples are ridiculous. It would be like a Louisville fan saying that it's coach was desirable because DePaul wanted them. Unless you are saying that ASU, San Francisco and Missouri are better BB programs than purdue?

Lol - "homework".

You obviously stepped in your mess kit about Purdue football coaches never being coveted and then just plain ignored the fact that Purdue’s two most successful coaches (one in the HOF and another going to be)
Both coached more than ten years (longer than any cardinal coach of the modern era), both turned down opportunities to pursue other jobs, and both retired from Purdue (something no Louisville coach has ever done).
A Purdue fan on their board blasted me for my failure to acknowledge their 1969 final four.

Of course you covered your ass by confidently asserting you remembered 1980’s FF trip and top NBA draft choice Joe Barry Carroll.

PU is a funny abbreviation but quite appropriate. When you haven’t been to a FF since six years before the inception of the three point line, it’s pretty much like not going at all.

A Purdue fan on their board blasted me for my failure to acknowledge their 1969 final four.
Of course they did - lol. And did you know that they did that in the same year that purdue grad Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon?

That's history right there boys. I just hope that Jeff Brohm doesn't get wind of it - otherwise UofL's chances are in the shitter.

Last edited:
Let's be real, Purdue is at a level of Kentucky in football and a bit below Illinois in basketball. Someone on here did a side by side comparison of UK/PU football, and they are nearly identical historically speaking. Since 1970, Purdue has averaged 5.5 wins per season in football....think about that for a few minutes, that's going back nearly 50 years....

Basketball wise, they are more competent. They've actually been successful in conference, winning their share of titles since 1970. Where they have stumbled and I would certainly argue it greatly diminishes any of their regular season accomplishments, is their poor showings in the NCAA tournaments. They've certainly made their share of them, but wow, what a lousy showing they typically exhibit.

Purdue is a decent athletic department, they're certainly not what Louisville, Indiana, MSU, Michigan or Kentucky people would ever consider a championship department, though. That has always been their knock, going back decades and decades.

My grandfather told me 30 plus years ago and I quote regarding basketball, "Purdue is a pain in the ass in the Big Ten, but they fold in the tournament". That came from a WW2 vet that couldn't care less about Purdue, he was calling a spade a spade.

You obviously stepped in your mess kit about Purdue football coaches never being coveted and then just plain ignored the fact that Purdue’s two most successful coaches (one in the HOF and another going to be)
Both coached more than ten years (longer than any cardinal coach of the modern era), both turned down opportunities to pursue other jobs, and both retired from Purdue (something no Louisville coach has ever done).

Of course you covered your ass by confidently asserting you remembered 1980’s FF trip and top NBA draft choice Joe Barry Carroll.
Could you be less cryptic about who the hell you're talking about? Tiller? Keady? Painter? Neil Armstrong?

Please include specifics when you name these titans of the coaching world. I simply can't get enough insider information about the jugger-not that is purdoo athletics.

PU is a funny abbreviation but quite appropriate. When you haven’t been to a FF since six years before the inception of the three point line, it’s pretty much like not going at all.

23 Big Ten Championships! # 1

Could you be less cryptic about who the hell you're talking about? Tiller? Keady? Painter? Neil Armstrong?

Please include specifics when you name these titans of the coaching world. I simply can't get enough insider information about the jugger-not that is purdoo athletics.

Count 20 posts up, follow the yellow brick road, ask Gretel to accompany you to keep track of bread crumbs, do not try and collect $200, and you will find the answer to your query that you were given but ignored.

Count 20 posts up, follow the yellow brick road, ask Gretel to accompany you to keep track of bread crumbs, do not try and collect $200, and you will find the answer to your query that you were given but ignored.
Got it - San Francisco College wanted gene keady. That singular factoid describes purdoo boil athletics perfectly.

Got it - San Francisco College wanted gene keady. That singular factoid describes purdoo boil athletics perfectly.

You mean Bill Russell’s alma mater, right?

Of course that was not issue you raised. Mollenkopf and Tiller are the two HOF coaches who retired at Purdue after more than ten years at the helm.

Gotta run, Big Ten Tailgate is in WL this weekend and don’t want to miss the festivities.

Of course that was not issue you raised. Mollenkopf and Tiller are the two HOF coaches who retired at Purdue after more than ten years at the helm.

Gotta run, Big Ten Tailgate is in WL this weekend and don’t want to miss the festivities.

Big things going on in the WL!

Lol - who wanted those two - South Dakota and Weber St.?

I refuse to denigrate Purdue’s football past or athletic past. We’ve actually been playing big boy football since the mid ‘80’s when Howard Schnellenberger came here. Purdue has been in the B1G for about a billion years. But none of that means squat since we are in a P5 conference also and it doesn’t really matter now. What does matter is does Jeff Brohm want to come home to his alma mater? That’s the big question. And, yes, UofL will pay him handsomely to do so. If he wants it then he can have it. Pretty simple. The deal isn’t that Purdue isn’t a good program but rather you’ve hit at a bad time for keeping Jeff. UofL has wonderful facilities and we don’t need any upgrades to keep or get any football coach. Plus Jeff is a native of Louisville and an alum of UofL. It’s all up to Jeff and if he comes home it won’t be a slap in the face to a fine school like Purdue. It will just be what it is. And if he decides to stay there then UofL will move on and hopefully hire a good coach from somewhere else. It ain’t rocket science and all of the back and forth insults are beneath the good fans of both schools.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT