ADVERTISEMENT

Heard Demling on R & R commenting on signing day

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
and one point he made was that the majority of signees committed before any of our big wins and the effect of our season won't be seen until next year's class. this year's class was already sold on the new staff before they accomplished anything so take that in stride. and after we had some big wins there were just not any recruits left to go after. also said Satts is not the kind of guy to go poach players from other schools so just no unsigned players left to take advantage of this years success.

and one point he made was that the majority of signees committed before any of our big wins and the effect of our season won't be seen until next year's class. this year's class was already sold on the new staff before they accomplished anything so take that in stride. and after we had some big wins there were just not any recruits left to go after. also said Satts is not the kind of guy to go poach players from other schools so just no unsigned players left to take advantage of this years success.
He politically saying the class is not going to be that good. And expect to maybe lose some of the better players we expected to sign to other schools. Thats saying alot from him because he is very stubborn about positive recruiting on U of L.

I never really get to bent out of shape with U of L fb recruiting. Because history here hasn't been that good with it on a national scale. Other than those Charlie years to be honest. Problem around here people and media want to compare us with UK in it. They always have better classes on paper. Thats just a result of being a member of the SEC, alot of players love that conf. LOL and they still only rank in the lower half of the SEC. And 5th in the east.

Last edited:
It really must be nice for the big programs to watch the lower profile programs identify players then when they need to fill out a class they come calling for the better kids at that lower profile. They can literally spend the bulk of their time recruiting the high profile kids and fill out the class with kids other schools have identified.

Recruiting is a cess pool just not real sure you can always be to good guy. I like that he stays away from kids that are already committed but the people he is competing against aren’t going to play that game. Slippery slope.

It really must be nice for the big programs to watch the lower profile programs identify players then when they need to fill out a class they come calling for the better kids at that lower profile. They can literally spend the bulk of their time recruiting the high profile kids and fill out the class with kids other schools have identified.

Recruiting is a cess pool just not real sure you can always be to good guy. I like that he stays away from kids that are already committed but the people he is competing against aren’t going to play that game. Slippery slope.
Yell he's going too have to learn the hard way . And that can possibly cost him his job down the line . That is one main thing Vince has pretty much laid at his doorstep he wants to see some recruiting. That nice guy crap doesn't cut it in recruiting period.

Reactions: REDWAVEALERT
I think we’ve recruited just fine. He inherited a dumpster fire and basically didn’t get to recruit as soon as he took the job, so 2019 was a lost class.

He got us numbers for this class and it’s hard to get guys that are seniors to flip as they’ve pretty much made up their minds, and guys like Purdy/Griffis who we got late were already indecisive anyways.

Next years class will be better, he has on the field results and has had a full year to make relationships and map out who he wants.

Theyve always done that.

Hell crapiperi is famous for poaching at the last second while others have done years of legwork.

Its one of the reasons the early signing period was created.

Just take solace, that the bigger they are the harder they fall.

FSU is on its 4th coach ( 3 not counting interim) in 2 years.
Theyre failing more than succeeding expectations of a big boy school.

Last edited:
Reactions: REDWAVEALERT
Theyve always done that.

Hell crapiperi is famous for poaching at the last 2nd while others have done years of legwork.

Its one of the reasons the early signing period was created.

Just take solace, that the bigger they are the harder they fall.

FSU is on its 4th coach ( 3 not counting interim) in 2 years.
Theyre failing more than succeeding expectations of a big boy school.
Calipari poached Teague ,Lyles and Willis all locks for the Cards. And called Shane while he was on the road to U of L .

Willis was going to Purdue and should have stuck with them. Idiotic move on his part.
I never heard that one Purdue. i just know he and his family were big Cards fans and he wanted to come here and rick wanted him.

Now i do remember something about him maybe signing with some other school initially. Was it Purdue?

How is the recruiting on the OL and DL going?
As most acknowledge, that is where games tend to be won or lost. (with the notable exception of truly difference making talent like Lamar)

Watching a few Card games this year, the lines are where the team struggled. (Becton was a talent, but needed a ton more help)

Some impressive skill position play, but both lines need addressing.

Charlie Strong was regarded as a pretty fair recruiter. His first U of L class was ranked 48th nationally. The average ranking for the four classes he recruited here was 43rd.

The situation he walked into was no worse than Satterfield's...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Charlie Strong was regarded as a pretty fair recruiter. His first U of L class was ranked 48th nationally. The average ranking for the four classes he recruited here was 43rd.

The situation he walked into was no worse than Satterfield's...
Yes and no.

Krag’s roster was balanced but not very good. Bobby did leave some good offensive skill talent.

But the big thing that’s different for each, Charlie was facing mediocre Big East competition. He had a harder pitch to sell commits to play in a Big East conference that was falling apart.

Satt has to face much tougher competition. But, he can sell playing in a power 5 conference. He also can show off better facilities and a program that has a Heisman trophy winner.

Yes and no.

Krag’s roster was balanced but not very good. Bobby did leave some good offensive skill talent.

But the big thing that’s different for each, Charlie was facing mediocre Big East competition. He had a harder pitch to sell commits to play in a Big East conference that was falling apart.

Satt has to face much tougher competition. But, he can sell playing in a power 5 conference. He also can show off better facilities and a program that has a Heisman trophy winner.
I don't disagree that Satterfield has a better proposition to sell than K-rag. The issue is what the OP is alluding to, that we can expect Satterfield's recruiting to improve considerably.

It could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a significant improvement over the same time frame (<5 years). If we finish 35th this year and his classes average 30-ish over the next few years, that wouldn't be unexpected nor a disappointment...

The reality is Satterfield (any coach) is going to sink or swim depending how they recruit. I think he understands the challenges with recruiting to Louisville. The staff has to identify really good players that fit their scheme. I believe him when he says he could less about stars.

We are going to find out if he can take the App State model recruiting wise and be successful here. History tells us the path a few 4 stars and some really good 3 star. I doubt we will see classes in the top 30.

I believe in comparing team rankings against your conference. I think that is the best overall indicator in future success. Wherever the team is ranked is generally where they will finish in the conference standings unless coaching is a major issue. Good coaching plus high team ranking equals success.

The closest programs to Satterfield’s model is Wisconsin, Baylor, Minnesota and Utah.

man, some crazy and negative reactions. for those negative posters, why bash? to make yourself feel better? good for you, we all now know you hate someone else and thus we all think of you less too

Reactions: FlavRunit
The reality is Satterfield (any coach) is going to sink or swim depending how they recruit. I think he understands the challenges with recruiting to Louisville. The staff has to identify really good players that fit their scheme. I believe him when he says he could less about stars.

We are going to find out if he can take the App State model recruiting wise and be successful here. History tells us the path a few 4 stars and some really good 3 star. I doubt we will see classes in the top 30.

I believe in comparing team rankings against your conference. I think that is the best overall indicator in future success. Wherever the team is ranked is generally where they will finish in the conference standings unless coaching is a major issue. Good coaching plus high team ranking equals success.

The closest programs to Satterfield’s model is Wisconsin, Baylor, Minnesota and Utah.
Not Baylor they get those leftover studs Tx can't all sign.

National Rank
35th
Prev. Year: 29th 2018

Big-12 Rank
Prev. Year: 4th 2018

Last edited:
man, some crazy and negative reactions. for those negative posters, why bash? to make yourself feel better? good for you, we all now know you hate someone else and thus we all think of you less too
I don't think anybody is really bashing . Louisville fb recruiting is never going to be considered great . Thats just reality . We just have to live with coaches like Satt being able to identify players that can compete on this level week to week at a higher level than their ratings. .

Not Baylor they get those leftover studs Tx can't all sign.

National Rank
35th
Prev. Year: 29th 2018

Big-12 Rank
Prev. Year: 4th 2018
I think Louisville can recruit in the 30’s consistently. I just don’t see them jumping into the 20’s on a regular basis. Too many obstacles the main one is location. Baylor is in a hotbed of recruiting they do have an advantage.

The problem for Louisville they aren’t a blue chip program. They invest all the time in Purdy and he flips at the last moment. Now Louisville has no real opportunity to address that position in this class. It does impact the program. It is what is but that is the challenge of recruiting at Louisville.

They invest all the time in Purdy and he flips at the last moment. Now Louisville has no real opportunity to address that position in this class.
QB Tee Webb has signed with Louisville. Tee Webb's best offers were from Michigan State, Miami, and Memphis. Chubba Purdy's best offers were from Florida State, Washington State, and Utah.

Interesting note on Tee Webb:
@jdemling

For the record, Louisville was the first school to offer QB Tee Webb - who signed today - a scholarship. And they did it back in 2015 when Webb was a 7th grader. Garrick McGee was the coach that first offered.

Last edited:
5th time in 2 months....Dbag. Hope we pancake his ass about 7 times in 2021.

Loss of Griffis is whatever. He was only committed for a week anyway. More important to me in this class are Kandra, Bryant, Peterson, Wilson, Dallas, Lawson and Reid. All going to be really good at positions of need.

Absolutely correct! That's why this class is that much more impressive. This is a dynamite class and it doesn't even reflect all of our huge wins this year.

Reactions: FlavRunit
Pass, Cunningham, Conley and Webb. We are deep at QB.
This is a great point. As much as I want Purdy, we are super deep. He may not ever see the field here anyway. Still would love to have the option but if he doesn't come, it's really not that big of a deal. I am already feeling a little better now.

This is a great point. As much as I want Purdy, we are super deep. He may not ever see the field here anyway. Still would love to have the option but if he doesn't come, it's really not that big of a deal. I am already feeling a little better now.

Anytime you lose your top rated QB recruit right before signing day, it’s a significant blow. No point in sugar-coating it. The positive thing is that Cunningham has improved greatly this season so we have a solid #1 going into next year.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
If your son has a choice to become the Qb @ Fl.St. or Louisville would you be mad if he picks the Noles. I know i wouldn't be mad at him. If he feels that's the better opportunity for him . . Alot of this is just like these BB players whom pick schools . It's a business decision. We as a top BB school have seen that enough with recruits who pick the more exposure schools over us all the time.

Now what Cunningham needs to do this off season is hit the weight room get stronger and bigger . To try and keep the injury bug down. SInce he knows he is the man going forward . No Purdy to worry about now.

More concerned about landing Bryant at this point. We’re fine at QB right now, but need some hammers on the DL.

Not gonna lie...hate missing out on Mrs. Purdy. :(
Dp-J6GxVAAAXLlW.jpg
Tee Webb mom is hotter

Summer and preseason of 2015

All we could talk about is how we beat Alabama and Auburn for Puma Pass. He was the big QB that would take us to the next level.

Game 1 of that year we wondered if Gardner, Bolin, Reggie, or that new kid Jackson may be the holdover QB for the year until Puma came to campus.

Little did we know that we had the greatest QB in college history in our program. Puma Pass turned out to be a bust. QB’s are the hardest recruits to project.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT