ADVERTISEMENT

Game by game prediction.

For what it's worth the last time I did this here was Lamar's Heisman winning season. I predicted a 9 and 3 season and there was more than a few rebuttals that I was silly for this prediction. I also predicted some very high scoring games that was not shared by Cards fans though I have to admit, I didn't think we would score 60 against FSU.

So here we go again.

1. Louisville 33 Syracuse 16
2. Louisville 34 UCF 24
3. Louisville 30 FSU 24
4. Louisville 44 USF 13
5. Louisville 35 Boston College 17
6. Virginia 35 Louisville 32
7. Louisville 38 Pittsburgh 28
8. Louisville 52 Wake Forest 20
9. Louisville 34 James Madison 14
10. Clemson 28 Louisville 27
11. Louisville 30 NC State 27
12. Louisville 34 Kentucky 30

Louisville 10 - 2 6 - 2

The Cards return to the top 25 with the win over FSU. #23.

They are #19 when they lose at Virginia and fall to #22 after the loss.

They reach #14 when the face off with Clemson and fall to #16 after the loss.

After beating UK the Cards are #9 going into their bowl game. They just miss playing for the ACC championship after tying with Clemson at 6 - 2.

I won't predict the bowl game because I don't know who they would be facing, but at 10 wins, it could be a Texas A&M or a Michigan.

With such a successful season, the highly regarded recruiting class signs and Satterfield nixs any thoughts of moving to greener pastures.

Malik Cunningham is voted all 2nd team ACC.
There are rehab programs available that can help you.

/sarc /joke

Reactions: TheRealVille
O
Syracuse - W
UCF - W
FSU - L
USF - W
BC - W
UVA - L
Pitt - W
Wake - W
JMU - W
Clemson - L
NC State - L
Kentucky - L

7-5

We start out looking great.
FSU gets us as it’s a big game for them and the 2 Friday games in a row. are weird

USF and BC shouldn’t be any trouble.

UVA on the road is gonna be that weird road loss that always happens.

Then like in past years, we look dead and people complain, but then we’re gonna roll off 3 wins. Pitt at home is our game. Wake has QB questions now and we want revenge at home. JMU shouldn’t be trouble.

Then streaky again. We fight hard but Clemson closes us out late. We play hard against NC State, but just don’t have the depth to finish them off. Then after 2 straight tough games, another loss to the other team in Lexington as we just are beat down after 2 weeks.
Hell, may as well throw in Wake and Pitt as losses if you think FSU and Virginia are going to beat us 😂

Last edited:
Steele states that we are an ACC contender if Malik stays healthy, and that was before we added Lole. That’s enough for me to be bullish on this group. Being optimistic and saying Malik stays healthy all year, I see us at either 7-1 in conference or 6-2, depending on whether we can beat both Pitt and NC State at home.

In the non-conference, both UCF and UK will be tough road games. I say we split those two and beat both USF and JMU. Regular season record will be … 9-3 or 10-2. An ACC title game appearance is not out of the question!

Go Cards!

I know their QB is good, but I'm thinking the same thing as you. We should be better than them damn near at every position.
They quite literally have one of the worst Olines in the ACC. Armstrong is a great college QB but they don’t have the pieces surrounding him. Woods their big TE is in the league now too.

Reactions: RealStateBird
What am I missing with UVA? Everyone predicting an L.
Well, for me there are four factors to predict a loss against Virginia.

1. A great QB/WR. Big plays have been many when we play them. A high scoring game means you're not winning with defense.

2. On the road. Momentum and the refs often go hand on hand on the road.

3. Being 5-0 going into the game. Cards would be a surprise team, probably ranked with the pressure to keep winning road games. Room for error continues to dwindle.

4. And for some reason, the school founded by Thomas Jefferson plays their best almost every time they play the Cards. Doesn't matter if they're good or not.

I think the Cards are much more talented than Virginia but that doesn't always mean a win is in order. The Cavaliers have enough ability at home to make big plays with confidence against a surprising undefeated Louisville team.

Now if I predicted the Cards losing already to UCF or FSU, I would probably have picked a Cards win over Virginia. I made my game by game predictions considering the games before.

Unless I was ready to predict 11 or 12 wins, I had to predict a loss or two. The 6th game of the season at Virginia seemed a more plausible defeat than home losses to Pitt and NC State for the reasons stated above.

As GOCDS stated …….. if Malik stays healthy this season, we have a legitimate chance against every single opponent on our schedule. Go back and look at our previous performances; the times we struggled were when Malik was less than 100%.

As CH noted in a different thread, we still have size and depth issues on the defensive side of the football, particularly on the DL. With that said, if Cunningham can remain 100%, this experienced OL and stable of talented RBs have a good chance to out score our opponents.

O

Hell, may as well throw in Wake and Pitt as losses if you think FSU and Virginia are going to beat us 😂
Football is random my friends.

Blow out FSU and take Clemson to the limit in 2016. Then a terrible UVA team takes us to the last minute and then the beat down Houston gave us.

Or 2020? Georgia Tech makes us give up on the season, but then we have a Final Four Notre Dame team where we want them until the onside kick bs.

Ups and downs. FSU could be a slip up early that gets our minds right to beat Wake and Pitt. Maybe the UVA game is a noon kick off on the road that we aren’t ready for?

You can’t base a prediction of every game assuming your team will be the exact same every single week.

Football is random my friends.

Blow out FSU and take Clemson to the limit in 2016. Then a terrible UVA team takes us to the last minute and then the beat down Houston gave us.

Or 2020? Georgia Tech makes us give up on the season, but then we have a Final Four Notre Dame team where we want them until the onside kick bs.

Ups and downs. FSU could be a slip up early that gets our minds right to beat Wake and Pitt. Maybe the UVA game is a noon kick off on the road that we aren’t ready for?

You can’t base a prediction of every game assuming your team will be the exact same every single week.
Your predictions seem random to me. I can clearly see 3 games you say we win that are tougher than both FSU and Virginia.

It will be interesting to see what kind of season UVA has for a new, first time HC.

It's really unclear how to look @ an opponent in the summer when they have not played a single game for their new HC who has also never been a HC.

They are implementing an entirely new offense more than likely. So with that, in theory that game becomes a better chance to win than had Bronco returned. Do they have the personnel he needs to run whatever new offense and/or defense he's installing? Who knows?

Reactions: Mayoman
It will be interesting to see what kind of season UVA has for a new, first time HC.

It's really unclear how to look @ an opponent in the summer when they have not played a single game for their new HC who has also never been a HC.

They are implementing an entirely new offense more than likely. So with that, in theory that game becomes a better chance to win than had Bronco returned. Do they have the personnel he needs to run whatever new offense and/or defense he's installing? Who knows?
RPO heavy at Clemson. Not sure if that will translate to Virginia.

Throughout FB history one of the best defensive tools you can have is a good OL.

Notre Dame and the Four Horsemen. tOSU and Woody Hayes with “3 yards and a cloud of dust”, USC aka Tailback U

Just 4 yds a play with no turn overs is a TD every possession.

Eat the clock and keep the D on the sideline.

Happens every fall most fanbases are optimistic about the season with little data to support that feeling.

Here is what we know if the offense can avoid turnovers then it will be a Top 10-15 offense. The line is good and experienced with a veteran QB. The running backs are good. WR’s are a ???.

This season like last year is 100% dependent on the defense. We have very little data that supports it will be good. We heard a ton of optimism coming out of last years fall camp. I am not falling for that again. I like the pieces they have added but let’s say I am not sure I trust Brown yet. Could of been a personnel issue for him in the past. I think personnel wise this is his best group.

My prediction is if the defense can be in the top 40 and the offense is in the 10-15 range then 8-9 wins is possible. If the defense ends up on the 70’s, they better create a ton of turnovers.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I don't see any ??? at WR. When was the last time Louisville football didn't have a strong receiving corps? Braden Smith is back from injury and Huggins-Bruce showed how good he can be as a freshman. Add a top level transfer in Hudson, along with TE Marshon Ford and the only question is how good can this unit be?

I agree the defense is the key like it is with almost every team. The Cards have injured stars back along with a top transfer or two. Now will this ultimately be good enough for a great winning season, we will have to see. However, looking at the roster here in August with so many talented players back, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be more optimistic than pessimistic. There's plenty of data.

I agree with most that, as long as Malik stays healthy, we should be formidable on offense. But, Brian Brown still makes me nervous. I like the fact that CSS has given Brown some help with a co-defensive coordinator but does Brown pull seniority and continue to make questionable calls?

I would say for anyone pessimistic about the receiving corps Jarvis Brownlee isn't among them. His accounts of THuddy and those of Dee Wiggins are important given they are coming from programs within the ACC so they can compare-and-contrast personnel at Florida State and Miami to him that most other players can't.

I remain very optimistic in what we have with Huggins-Bruce.

This season is starting to attract some rather encouraging optimism that has been missing since Lamar’s departure. Not much longer before we can see firsthand what this roster can accomplish!

Reactions: gocds
I don't see any ??? at WR. When was the last time Louisville football didn't have a strong receiving corps? Braden Smith is back from injury and Huggins-Bruce showed how good he can be as a freshman. Add a top level transfer in Hudson, along with TE Marshon Ford and the only question is how good can this unit be?

I agree the defense is the key like it is with almost every team. The Cards have injured stars back along with a top transfer or two. Now will this ultimately be good enough for a great winning season, we will have to see. However, looking at the roster here in August with so many talented players back, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be more optimistic than pessimistic. There's plenty of data.
I like the potential of this team including WR’s. There are just more unknowns. I think they found 2 gems in Marrow and Bell. If Hudson and Wiggins are really as good as advertised then I agree this offense is going to be tough to stop. Smith if he stays healthy is a problem.

Defense has been so inconsistent it is hard to buy into anything the coaches and players are selling. Every player is complimentary of their teammates. I just have to see them perform before I buy into them being better.

Right now I do not see any real weakness on the offensive side of the ball, other than perhaps depth at some key positions. My focus remains on our defense; it has a lot to improve upon from last yea.

Your predictions seem random to me. I can clearly see 3 games you say we win that are tougher than both FSU and Virginia.
Again if you read my explanation, FOOTBALL IS RANDOM.

Im predicting based on the randomness. You can’t factor in a game where one team is more motivated than the other. One team may be more banged up and tired. One team may have a discipline issue or a distraction. It doesn’t factor in improvements, slumps, etc.

Like me saying that we may lose to FSU because we come off 2 tough games to start and FSU is motivated to beat us after 2 years? It’s not as simple as look at last years records or who is better.

I mean say in 2014 if I had predicted Ohio State to lose to a Virginia Tech team that went 6-6, but I also predicted that Ohio State team to win a national title? You would call that random.

How about last year if I had picked Pitt to lose to Western Michigan, but also win a road game at Tennessee and also beat Clemson to be ACC champions. That’s random. That’s how football goes.

Again if you read my explanation, FOOTBALL IS RANDOM.

Im predicting based on the randomness. You can’t factor in a game where one team is more motivated than the other. One team may be more banged up and tired. One team may have a discipline issue or a distraction. It doesn’t factor in improvements, slumps, etc.

Like me saying that we may lose to FSU because we come off 2 tough games to start and FSU is motivated to beat us after 2 years? It’s not as simple as look at last years records or who is better.

I mean say in 2014 if I had predicted Ohio State to lose to a Virginia Tech team that went 6-6, but I also predicted that Ohio State team to win a national title? You would call that random.

How about last year if I had picked Pitt to lose to Western Michigan, but also win a road game at Tennessee and also beat Clemson to be ACC champions. That’s random. That’s how football goes.
Well let’s hope Louisville is not as random as your picks are. First of all motivation doesn’t mean squat as emotions last so long until reality kicks in on the football field. If Louisville is any good this year they won’t have losses to FSU or Virginia. If all this voodoo is real , teams like Alabama and Georgia would lose more often.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Well let’s hope Louisville is not as random as your picks are. First of all motivation doesn’t mean squat as emotions last so long until reality kicks in on the football field. If Louisville is any good this year they won’t have losses to FSU or Virginia. If all this voodoo is real , teams like Alabama and Georgia would lose more often.
Well here’s the thing, most schools aren’t Alabama. Heck, most every year you’re lucky to get 1 power conference team without a loss. Because a team like that has a 2nd string that would be top 25 with the right coaching and a 3rd string that would make a bowl game.

Everyone else is up for grabs. Week to week it can be crazy!

Michigan State made the Playoff recently. Then fell off a bit and then 2021 comes along. Start out 8-0? They beat Michigan who made the Playoff!? But then lose to Purdue. Well it’s alright, wait then they lose by 50 to Ohio State?!

College football is awesome because you have contrasting styles. Different teams have different strengths. Like say there are teams we’ve looked great against because we just are so much faster, but then we play a Kentucky type team that has size that can push us around.

You can have a rainstorm one week, then a hot humid game, a noon start where everyone is tired, or a snowy/sleet night game in the fall where you’re freezing.

One road stadium could be not even full like Wake, but then another school has a sellout. One week your fans don’t fill up your own stadium because it’s noon kickoff and the crowd isn’t awake, but then the next week it’s a night game sellout that’s rocking.

One week you have motivation because your opponent made a slight and it fired you up, but then a week later you overlook a team that’s 2-8 and they take you to the 4th quarter.

Look at every power 5 team that isn’t Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson. Most every team every year has a dumb loss or losses and has a game they surprise everyone and win. It’s what happens. You can’t really predict it.

Well here’s the thing, most schools aren’t Alabama. Heck, most every year you’re lucky to get 1 power conference team without a loss. Because a team like that has a 2nd string that would be top 25 with the right coaching and a 3rd string that would make a bowl game.

Everyone else is up for grabs. Week to week it can be crazy!

Michigan State made the Playoff recently. Then fell off a bit and then 2021 comes along. Start out 8-0? They beat Michigan who made the Playoff!? But then lose to Purdue. Well it’s alright, wait then they lose by 50 to Ohio State?!

College football is awesome because you have contrasting styles. Different teams have different strengths. Like say there are teams we’ve looked great against because we just are so much faster, but then we play a Kentucky type team that has size that can push us around.

You can have a rainstorm one week, then a hot humid game, a noon start where everyone is tired, or a snowy/sleet night game in the fall where you’re freezing.

One road stadium could be not even full like Wake, but then another school has a sellout. One week your fans don’t fill up your own stadium because it’s noon kickoff and the crowd isn’t awake, but then the next week it’s a night game sellout that’s rocking.

One week you have motivation because your opponent made a slight and it fired you up, but then a week later you overlook a team that’s 2-8 and they take you to the 4th quarter.

Look at every power 5 team that isn’t Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson. Most every team every year has a dumb loss or losses and has a game they surprise everyone and win. It’s what happens. You can’t really predict it.
Whatever. I’m tired of discussing it. You have your opinion and I have mine but I sure is hell ain’t picking my team to lose their first home game of the season after coming off 2 straight road wins to start the season to a struggling program.

Whatever. I’m tired of discussing it. You have your opinion and I have mine but I sure is hell ain’t picking my team to lose their first home game of the season after coming off 2 straight road wins to start the season to a struggling program.
Well I mean you could simply make a prediction without insulting mine? Isn’t that what this thread is about, making game by game predictions?

Well I mean you could simply make a prediction without insulting mine? Isn’t that what this thread is about, making game by game predictions?
I get your point.

Mostly because along with all the points you make, a ball with “points” on each end bounces funny.

Chit happens. Every week to someone it seems. And lately it’s been us.

The is absolute randomness to sports. Vegas thrives off random plays or events. Vegas win totals have Louisville at 6.5. I think they get over that but that may be a loss to Syracuse and win at Clemson. Who knows, Malik may get Covid right before the Syracuse game.

While the game by game prediction is interesting it is just a educated guess at this point.

The Louisville-Syracuse line is a prime example. Louisville should win easily looking at roster and past couple games. The line is 4.5. That is one play. According to Vegas Louisville could lose.

Since I made my overly generous 11 win prediction I decided to dig deeper on our opponents. I do think Louisville willing be vastly improved from last season but this is a very very tough schedule. For some reason I was thinking South Florida was game 2 and being 2-0 before FSU at home was a given. At UCF is a totally different monster. I’m still thinking 9 wins is possible but even a good UofL team could lose 6 games with this schedule. I think we lose at UCF, NC State. The rest we can win but Wake, Pitt, UK and Clemson will be very tough games.

The reason I’m optimistic, besides that just being my nature, is depth. We seem to finally have a well-constructed roster with only one exception-the QB position. Even there, Conley has lots of game experience and has led the team to wins. But there is little proven talent behind Malik, who has a history of injury. So like others I think 9-10 wins is possible with a healthy Malik. What happens if he is hurt for significant time is anybody’s guess

The reason I’m optimistic, besides that just being my nature, is depth. We seem to finally have a well-constructed roster with only one exception-the QB position. Even there, Conley has lots of game experience and has led the team to wins. But there is little proven talent behind Malik, who has a history of injury. So like others I think 9-10 wins is possible with a healthy Malik. What happens if he is hurt for significant time is anybody’s guess
Malik is the key to the offense. The defense is the key to the season.

Well said Cycle ….. it is that simple. Malik’s health and our defense improving will dictate 2022 season.

Curious as to what worries everyone about Pitt. They lost their whole offense and offensive coordinator. Should be a W. They will be sound defensively as always but they don’t scare me at all. More concerned about BC with Jurk back.
  • Entire OL back
  • Slovis at QB from USC
  • OC was not offered an extension, New OC has been at Pitt twice before
  • 5 stud RBs
  • Deep WR group
  • And yes the D
It is going to be a really good game. Good luck up our game!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT