ADVERTISEMENT

FYI: Conley Scoring was almost worst case scenarion

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
as we were all cheering his run to the end zone my mind did think he should fall down and take a knee. had he done that, wake had no timeouts and the clock simply would have run out after four kneels and wake would have never touched the ball.

hard to stop a freshman scoring on the run and to even remotely think that would cross his mind but it is also knowing the clock and managing it so Satts could have brought it up. had we just gotten two yards and a first down we would have gone into victory formation btu we scored and gave them the ball back and almost gave most of us the most depressing loss. besides failing to get a first down or a turnover, scoring was worst possible outcome.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Didn’t think about it at the time but I think the TV commentators mentioned that.
yea they brought it up. i've seen it a few times. leshawn mccoy did it once for philly i think against dallas. few other times players have not scored because they knew the situation. one thing si for sure i bet no bill belichik team has ever done that, he thinks of everything

Reactions: SpotHogCard
as we were all cheering his run to the end zone my mind did think he should fall down and take a knee. had he done that, wake had no timeouts and the clock simply would have run out after four kneels and wake would have never touched the ball.

hard to stop a freshman scoring on the run and to even remotely think that would cross his mind but it is also knowing the clock and managing it so Satts could have brought it up. had we just gotten two yards and a first down we would have gone into victory formation btu we scored and gave them the ball back and almost gave most of us the most depressing loss. besides failing to get a first down or a turnover, scoring was worst possible outcome.

I thought that as I saw him running. Similar thing happened in UK-Florida game. UF qb scoring was only way UK could’ve won. They still lost regardless.

Reactions: glassmanJ
I cant think of any player anywhere thats going to take a knee when you got daylight and an endzone in front of you.

Its like trying to keep your eyes open when you sneeze.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I cant think of any player anywhere thats going to take a knee when you got daylight and an endzone in front of you.

It would take a very special, analytical person.

Most would think 7 pts Is the best/only thing to do.

I didn’t think about it, but I’m a bit surprised that CSS didn’t know this and tell EC.

The only reason I can think of is:

- the review of the 3rd down play came at 2:44, and I don’t think CSS knew the game clock would start after the review. I don’t think we could have killed 2:40.

But the game clock started and would have been down to about 2:16 had we take a slide.

I learned something.

I hope Satt did too ;)

hard to stop a freshman scoring on the run and to even remotely think that would cross his mind but it is also knowing the clock and managing it so Satts could have brought it up. had we just gotten two yards and a first down we would have gone into victory formation btu we scored and gave them

What you guys fail to realize was that particular play was the same play call Satterfield made while at App St. that was successful in a critical situation.It was intended to score.

At the time, it never dawned on me that he should do that, but then when the announcer brought it up, it was BOOM, mind blown. I don't know how you ask a frosh to just stop after picking up that first down but in hindsight that is exactly what he should have done. Maybe the Wake Forrest coach told HIS team to let him score? Saw a UK coach do that once a long time ago. Just a thought.

i said above
been done many times in the pros. lesahrwn mccoy against the cowboys. i;ve seen a patriots receiver do it against the bengals.

todd gurley did it last year so save victory against packers
https://www.businessinsider.com/tod...spread-swings-millions-sports-bettors-2018-10

lsu players did it last year against arkansas
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/10/lsu-arkansas-chaos-vegas-nick-brossette-ed-orgeron

and quite simply if you want to win you think of these things and tell your team. we won, but a simple refs call gave us the win on the onsides, otherwise we all know we would have lost. yet had they simply made the first down and kneeled, game over. time and score should always be known.

i said above
been done many times in the pros. lesahrwn mccoy against the cowboys. i;ve seen a patriots receiver do it against the bengals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tod...spread-swings-millions-sports-bettors-2018-10

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/10/lsu-arkansas-chaos-vegas-nick-brossette-ed-orgeron

and quite simply if you want to win you think of these things and tell your team. we won, but a simple refs call gave us the win on the onsides, otherwise we all know we would have lost. yet had they simply made the first down and kneeled, game over. time and score should always be known.
Can’t argue that.

someone should have asked the refs when the clock would start, and did the math.

So let’s play that out. Satterfield draws up this play he’s used before to score. He calls the play and then says to the offense, guys if this works and you’re about to score just take a slide before you get to the end zone?

We were lucky that a holding call or illegal block was called setting us 15 yards back and maybe fumbling on the next snap... The point is it’s easy to say we should have done this or that, but in the heat of the battle he was trying to stay ahead in points...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
At the time, it never dawned on me that he should do that, but then when the announcer brought it up, it was BOOM, mind blown. I don't know how you ask a frosh to just stop after picking up that first down but in hindsight that is exactly what he should have done. Maybe the Wake Forrest coach told HIS team to let him score? Saw a UK coach do that once a long time ago. Just a thought.

That was Mumme in the 99' Music City bowl against Syracuse. He told the D to let Cuse score so they could have time to score and then recover the onside and score again to win. Nice plan but didnt work, Cuse won.

i said above

No way do I accept that we would have lost had we not recovered the onside kick. We were ahead by 3 points. If they recover the onside kick, we go get a stop. Ty Tyler busts through for his first sack, stripping the ball in the process and Rodjay Burns recovers it. Game over ... It’s as simple as that.

And also no way do you tell a QB to fall down in the open field. The pursuit is coming to knock the hell out of you. Slow down to kneel and you might just get the ball punched out from behind before you kneel down. Unless the play called actually is a kneel down, you go score the TD.

Plus, you’re only up 3 points. If you have just one fumbled snap from the center after kneeling down on the 4th and one conversion, you’ve given Wake the ball with a chance to score the go ahead TD. Give me a 10 point lead all day and make Wake Forest score a TD, recover an onside kick AND score a field goal to tie or a TD to win.

hey pushup, while i commend your positive thinking, everything about wake since their back up came in said our d couldn't cover and they was more likely they get a td than a fg, but since you're sayin' there's a chance, i'll go witcha

Reactions: PushupMan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT