ADVERTISEMENT

Fumble by Jurich

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
We all love big out of conference bball games like the one with IU. However scheduling it on NYE was a mistake. It was pretty reasonable to expect UofL football would be in a bowl game in Florida in or around New Years. Now it looks like the bowl game and the basketball game will actually be played at the same time. UofL sold out its allotment to the bball game so unless those folks dump their tickets that's gonna take a big chunk of our fans out the equation was the bowl game. The scheduling department needs to have a little more foresight. Unfortunately I think the bowl game will have poor representation from UofL which is sad consider how ardent our support typically is.

Yeap and we were buying UL/IU tickets not even thinking FB. We just assumed for weeks we would sell. So angry now wouldn't even consider doing that.

We could play our bowl game at PJCS and the attendance is going to be waaaay down! The conclusion of the football season is like starting a basketball season 15-1 and ending up in the NIT. Nobody is going to get excited about a mid-tier bowl game after losing to your in-state rival coached by an idiot.

We could play our bowl game at PJCS and the attendance is going to be waaaay down! The conclusion of the football season is like starting a basketball season 15-1 and ending up in the NIT. Nobody is going to get excited about a mid-tier bowl game after losing to your in-state rival coached by an idiot.

If we had been in the playoff or Orange Bowl, the scenario would still have been very similar unless everyone has a private jet.

We all love big out of conference bball games like the one with IU. However scheduling it on NYE was a mistake. It was pretty reasonable to expect UofL football would be in a bowl game in Florida in or around New Years. Now it looks like the bowl game and the basketball game will actually be played at the same time. UofL sold out its allotment to the bball game so unless those folks dump their tickets that's gonna take a big chunk of our fans out the equation was the bowl game. The scheduling department needs to have a little more foresight. Unfortunately I think the bowl game will have poor representation from UofL which is sad consider how ardent our support typically is.

I do not blame anyone at UL for this stuff. The ACC makes our basketball schedule and most of that is dictated to them by the networks. Not only do we have a conflict with a New Years bowl because of the IU game, we also have a conflict with the Russell Athletic Bowl on December 28 (5:30 pm). We play Virginia at home that day in basketball.

The two likely Bowls the Russell Athletic Bowl on the 28th and the Citrus Bowl on the 31st are BBall Conflicts...can't control Conference but you can I think control OOC.

Reactions: zipp
The two likely Bowls the Russell Athletic Bowl on the 28th and the Citrus Bowl on the 31st are BBall Conflicts...can't control Conference but you can I think control OOC.
What so you don't schedule any BB games that whole week because you might play in a bowl game? No, you do what other big boy programs do, you get your fans to support both.

Last edited:
Reactions: awf
I'm having a delema trying to decide which game will suck the least if the current trend doesn't change.

FB or BB.

I'm locked in to the IU-Bloomington game NYE. Made plans long ago.

Friday, Dec. 30th. Hall of Fame Classic @ New Castle, IN. New Albany and Romeo Langford vs. Warsaw and either Lawrence North or Logansport.

Saturday Dec. 31st Louisvlle vs. IU-Bloomington @ BLF

Sunday Jan 1st Colts game

I'll watch the bowl game at one of the many sports bars in Downtown Indy.

Not just that, but you can control WHOM you schedule. Maybe we can't take the last two weeks in December off with basketball, but we can avoid scheduling games that fans won't wanna miss. Put most of the rinky dinks in those couple weeks. We're already doing that by moving the LPT game before Xmas...

I'm hoping to go to Florida to see us play the Florida Gators in the Citrus Bowl. A step down from possibly playing Michigan in the Orange Bowl but still a good Bowl against a big name program in warm weather.

We need this season to end on a high note and get some momentum back for next season. And yes, we have a chance to be very good next year despite the losses to the defense.

We still have Jaire Alexander, Stacy Thomas, James Hearns, Chucky Williams, Drew Bailey, Shaw Wiggins, Trumaine Washington, D'Asian Richardson and Chris Williams among others and lots of younger guys with talent like Jonathan Greenard, Khane Pass, Dee Smith, Amonte Caban etc..

Anyone know if Trevon Young is going to be back?

Reactions: zipp
What so you don't schedule any BB games that whole week because you might play in a bowl game? No, you do what other big boy programs do, you get your fans to support both.

Actually you are wrong. Most "big boy" football programs don't support basketball so they don't give a rip about conflicts. Zipp is right. Schedule crap opponents that week and schedule good ones in early December.

Actually you are wrong. Most "big boy" football programs don't support basketball so they don't give a rip about conflicts. Zipp is right. Schedule crap opponents that week and schedule good ones in early December.
I guess you don't consider Wisconsin as big boy football? They can still go to the Rose Bowl and their #17 basketball team plays Indiana on the 3rd of Jan in Bloomington.

Reactions: awf
I guess you don't consider Wisconsin as big boy football? They can still go to the Rose Bowl and their #17 basketball team plays Indiana on the 3rd of Jan in Bloomington.
PS and before you start your whining UK may be playing in the Belk Bowl in Dec 29th while their basketball team plays Ole Miss on the same day.. I believe UK fans will show for both...

PS and before you start your whining UK may be playing in the Belk Bowl in Dec 29th while their basketball team plays Ole Miss on the same day.. I believe UK fans will show for both...

So are you committing to going both the basketball game and the Citrus Bowl?

So how many Wisconsin fans will be in Bloomington for that game?

Come on folks. I guess all of the schedule bashers want our basketball team to go for 10 days without a game just so we won't possibly interfere with a POSSIBLE bowl game. How the hell do you make a schedule like that? When the basketball schedule is made there is absolutely no possible way to know what bowl game we will be going to, period.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: nccardfan
Come on folks. I guess all of the schedule bashers want our basketball team to go for 10 days without a game just so we won't possibly interfere with a POSSIBLE bowl game. How the hell do you make a schedule like that? When the basketball schedule is made there is absolutely no possible way to know what bowl game we will be going to, period.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Where did anyone talk about not scheduling games during that time? Don't twist my words.
I would suggest they not have marquee home or neutral site games around the marquee bowl dates. The bowl attendance is undoubtedly going to be affected by the fact that UofL sold out its allotment to the marquee neutral site bball game.

So are you committing to going both the basketball game and the Citrus Bowl?
I will do as I always do. Consider my options, find out which Bowl we are actually playing in, look at my bank account and make a decision but I have been to a FF, numerous regionals, 2 Belk Bowls and the Orange Bowl, Freedom Hall, Yum Center, old Cardinal Stadium, Papa Johns, etc.

I will do as I always do. Consider my options, find out which Bowl we are actually playing in, look at my bank account and make a decision but I have been to a FF, numerous regionals, 2 Belk Bowls and the Orange Bowl, Freedom Hall, Yum Center, old Cardinal Stadium, Papa Johns, etc.

But if this is "big boy" athletics you should make it to both, right?...even if the games at the same time

But if this is "big boy" athletics you should make it to both, right?...even if the games at the same time
Do you not understand sarcasm? Our fanbase thinks we are going to the CFP after the 3rd game of the season and now complaining that we have basketball and football games that conflict. We have had over 50 years of successful basketball. That's a tradition. You don't become a football school after one season where you think you are going to play in the NC game but can't even win your conference division let alone conference title.

Do you not understand sarcasm? Our fanbase thinks we are going to the CFP after the 3rd game of the season and now complaining that we have basketball and football games that conflict. We have had over 50 years of successful basketball. That's a tradition. You don't become a football school after one season where you think you are going to play in the NC game but can't even win your conference division let alone conference title.

If you were employing sarcasm then it was well hidden.

I'll clear this up though since you want to twist my words. I'm suggesting that it is in UofL's best interest to not have the basketball and football teams compete for fans. As Zipp suggested, it would make sense to schedule bad basketball teams or just road games for the few days around New Years Eve. I think it is important for the football team to be as well-represented in the bowl game as possible. Having 15k fans in Indy for a neutral site bball game conflicts with this goal.

Reactions: Mayoman
If you were employing sarcasm then it was well hidden.

I'll clear this up though since you want to twist my words. I'm suggesting that it is in UofL's best interest to not have the basketball and football teams compete for fans. As Zipp suggested, it would make sense to schedule bad basketball teams or just road games for the few days around New Years Eve. I think it is important for the football team to be as well-represented in the bowl game as possible. Having 15k fans in Indy for a neutral site bball game conflicts with this goal.
Yep don't schedule any BB games from Dec 31st to Jan 10 (during conference play) in case we make CFP. Oops didn't make it so don't schedule BB games the week before Christmas in case we play in a low tier bowl. That makes sense... no BB games for a month cause we might play in a bowl game.

Can't see Pitino going for a tougher early Nov sched after the 20 point meltdown against Baylor in late Nov.

If I were going to anything it would be the FB game.

There are plenty of "good" BB games left to go to.

This wasn't much of a problem before BB moved up to Halloween.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yep don't schedule any BB games from Dec 31st to Jan 10 (during conference play) in case we make CFP. Oops didn't make it so don't schedule BB games the week before Christmas in case we play in a low tier bowl. That makes sense... no BB games for a month cause we might play in a bowl game.

You aren't comprehending what I'm saying, despite things being clear. No point in arguing or discussing with you.

These bowl game and CFP dates are known a year in advance (at least), and the ACC has specific bowl tie-ins. No reason a marquee basketball game can't be scheduled well away from those dates. Who cares about a road game or a rinky dink home game?

And we've already moved the LPT basketball game for this very issue.

Fans need to vote with their feet and let U of L know how they feel. This is the kinda reason I don't buy anything in advance from U of L but season tickets anymore...never know when they're gonna throw you a curveball.

These bowl game and CFP dates are known a year in advance (at least), and the ACC has specific bowl tie-ins.
...never know when they're gonna throw you a curveball.
This is exactly right. UL tries to milk us on this IMO.

If we are going to play BIG time FB and BB, with HUGE ego coaches, they need to schedule so we can support both with equal vigor.

Why isn't Grand Canyon that week?

Reactions: BPGhost and Mayoman
Today Jody D said that Citrus Bowl reps were not happy about the (low) turnout by UofL fans. This is unfortunate since we generally have a good reputation from bowls. Several factors are in play for fans not going but the assinine scheduling of the bball game was a factor that was controllable.

We're P5 now.

If we win we get the appropriate bowl. Fans don't have to kiss @$$ anymore by buying tics to games we don't really want to go to.

That said, we would still have a turnout if the team hadn't quit late, and there was no BB game.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Today Jody D said that Citrus Bowl reps were not happy about the (low) turnout by UofL fans. This is unfortunate since we generally have a good reputation from bowls. Several factors are in play for fans not going but the assinine scheduling of the bball game was a factor that was controllable.

^^^^
THIS...

No longer in the C-USA, BIG EAST or American...the Citrus Bowl will be alright....

While they are obligated to pick ACC schools, the ACC Tier 2 bowls do factor in things like ticket sales because they aren't directly tied to conference standings.

Anyways, word on the street is that TJ is not a happy camper. As was said above though, beat U.K. and don't schedule the bball game and this isn't an issue.

While they are obligated to pick ACC schools, the ACC Tier 2 bowls do factor in things like ticket sales because they aren't directly tied to conference standings.

Anyways, word on the street is that TJ is not a happy camper. As was said above though, beat U.K. and don't schedule the bball game and this isn't an issue.

Except when it comes to the Citrus Bowl...they are obligated to take the highest CFP Ranked ACC School when a ACC School in that game which isn't very often...

No more "High Profile" Basketball Games during Bowl Week...ACC Basketball can't control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT