ADVERTISEMENT

FSU/Louisville 2002.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
All this discussion about Krag reminded me of the Louisville/FSU game in the pouring rain back in 2002. That wasn't the best team in our history but we did win the ACC and play in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia that year. And Louisville beat us in OT that night. Were any of you guys at that game? I remember Dave Ragone was your QB and he was pretty good.

Reactions: Otis_Wilson
All this discussion about Krag reminded me of the Louisville/FSU game in the pouring rain back in 2002. That wasn't the best team in our history but we did win the ACC and play in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia that year. And Louisville beat us in OT that night. Were any of you guys at that game?

It's probably like Woodstock, 2 million people my age will say they were there, when the estimated attendance was roughly 400K over 3 days. I was NOT there, but I sure was watching. One of our greatest wins ever, given the name opponent and the environment.

All this discussion about Krag reminded me of the Louisville/FSU game in the pouring rain back in 2002. That wasn't the best team in our history but we did win the ACC and play in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia that year. And Louisville beat us in OT that night. Were any of you guys at that game? I remember Dave Ragone was your QB and he was pretty good.
Yes, my wife and two step-sons were there. Great night, I don't believe it could had rained any harder. We were also at the FSU game two years ago and will be there again this year. Good luck to you guys, class program all the way.

I was not. I had let me season tickets go after 1999 and didn't have season tickets again until 2005. I was at home. I kept tabs on the game but didn't watch it straight through. When it went to OT I was nervous and flipped away and watched something else. When I flipped back it showed the fans on the field celebrating. I taped it (yes...VCR) and went back and watched it. I still have lots of old bowls and old UK games on VCR tape.

It was huge but turned out to not be as huge as it first seemed because we weren't that good (7-6) and although FSU was #4 they also turned out to be decent but not great.

Reactions: Deeva
I was there with my teenage daughter. She began insisting that we were going to win the game during the first quarter. Rained like crazy. She kept saying we were going to win right up to the end. Great kid. Really smart. One of my fondest memories.

Reactions: Deeva
My son and I were there in the Crunch Zone. I remember before the rain started, maybe before the kickoff even, some Nole fan above us was beating our plastic seats like a tom-tom. Seemed ominous, especially since FSU was higly ranked, #4 or so? But what a game. And what a frickin flood. It was an ordeal but I wouldn't trade it for many experiences in my life.

I WAS THERE for that Noles-Cards game (I have only missed one home game since Papa Johns opened). Vivid memories. For me, taking pride in WITHSTANDING and ENDURING the situation was as significant as the Cards' win itself. Sat on the 44 yd line with a Nole fan that I invited from Washington DC. He threw his shoes away after the game. When I took him back to his hotel after the game, he walked into the lobby barefoot. I needed a root canal on gameday, literally. My mouth throbbed throughout the game. I deferred the root canal til the next day. Needless to say, I didn't get a wink of sleep on the night of the game. Vivid. Vivid.

I was there with my wife and brother. Another in a long list of great experiences with U of L FB. Funny how when you win those games, you don't notice the rain.

I also just as vividly remember an FSU game in 1985 when it rained and sleeted the whole game and we lost 54-18. THAT was miserable. But we stayed until the bitter end. Always have. Always will.

OT:
FSU, and Miami have always had my respect for playing us home-and-home in our 36k baseball stadium. Many wouldn't.

And we know who the closest one is :rolleyes:

The ironic part is, that school wishes they didn't have to play us now in our state-of-the-art facility!:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman and WKCard
Watched a guy urinate down the aisle from the top row during the down pour. Safe bet it was and will be the only time that will ever happen except maybe in the visitors section when we play UK.

I guess I might notice something like that, but I doubt I would have watched him.

I once was at a Springsteen concert at Freedom Hall, when I noticed an attractive chick in a dress dancing in the aisles. I boogied my way over and began dancing with her. After dancing through a couple of songs and chatting some with her, she suddenly squatted right where she stood (still in the middle of the aisles) and urinated a rather large puddle. She then stood right back up and returned to dancing. I can't really say whether I "watched" or "noticed", but I WAS keenly aware that I now needed to move or stand in this new "puddle". One of my more interesting concert experiences.

I once was at a Springsteen concert at Freedom Hall, when I noticed an attractive chick in a dress dancing in the aisles. I boogied my way over and began dancing with her. After dancing through a couple of songs and chatting some with her, she suddenly squatted right where she stood (still in the middle of the aisles) and urinated a rather large puddle. She then stood right back up and returned to dancing. I can't really say whether I "watched" or "noticed", but I WAS keenly aware that I now needed to move or stand in this new "puddle". One of my more interesting concert experiences.

Her way of telling you to piss off, maybe? Too funny!

I too was at the "FSU monsoon game". I borrowed some really good rain gear (long coat only). It really didn't matter because early in the game I had 1-2 inches of rain in my boots and my pants were soaking wet. I gutted out the whole game. It's the only time I was ever on the field after a game. Jumping the wall I got separated from who I went with and didn't find my ride for a good long while. Needless to say I didn't get home very early and had to work the next day (was it a Thursday night game)? I worked with a loudmouth UK fan who had written FSU 48 UL 7 on a dry erase board at work on game day. He got an earful from me the next morning. One of my neighbors ended up with a piece of the goalpost. About a year later I asked him for a piece of it to no avail.

Wet, Wet. Never sat down and don't remember anyone who did. No tailgate that game and missed so very much a post game celebration.
Pre-game Bobby said this was a trap game that he was sorry that was scheduled.

Missed that game unfortunately but watched in on the tube wishing I were there. Most memorable weather games. The rain delay game vs UK. The Liberty bowl- I swear my bourbon froze. The UC game with Teddy and The Memphis game during Petrino"S first run- which is the only time I have left early with a coach other than Kragthorpe on the sidelines.

The onion freezer game against Florida State (if you were sitting on the aluminum bleachers). Nov 2, 1991.

The miserable 34 degrees F freezing rain game against UConn at Rentschler (sp) Field. Dec 3, 2005.

The Southern Miss Monsoon game with 2" of water on the field. Sept 29, 2012

The FIU empty stadium Monsoon game where the cars were all up to their hubs in hurricane water. Sept 22, 2012.

My son and I attended the GAME. We did tailgate with some folks who had a popup tent. I wore my boating rain gear, it was storm rated - yes but not dry rated. Would not trade that experience.

Oh, yes. I was there. And it was glorious. Remember it like it was yesterday. 2002 was a strange football season. The Cards were expected to have a big year. Finished 7-6. But that FSU game, whoa!

I was there for every snap. Had a killer rain suit that I still utilize whenever I am braving monsoons. It was a hard, steady rain that would empty ducks from a pond. We made big plays all night and Ragone was the man. I agree with Coach Bowden that it was a trap game and I could care less.

I was living in Virginia. A coworker who was a huge FSU fan ragged on me all week how his Noles were going to humiliate the Cards. Remember FSU was ranked 4 going in and the Cards had just lost, at home, to a very bad (are there any other kind?) UK team. My coworker said he would wear a UofL sweatshirt for a week after the game if the Cards won. To his credit, right after the win, he called me up and asked me to bring a sweatshirt to work the next week and he wore it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT