ADVERTISEMENT

Fighting Brohms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite the same. You were coaching at Valley, getting paid about 4 mill a year, PRP calls and asks you if you are interested. You go back to Valley and ask them, what can you do for me?
I’m over Brohm. He will probably never coach here. I’m ok with that. Let’s move forward with the staff we have.
Screw Brum, Jeffie please never fire Holt please, if you do fire Holt please call 2.0 on who is available, 6-6 lifer @ Big 10 doormat...

Anyone who believes Brohm just played U of L should try sleep medication and not screw with your mind...
Too funny. You Trinity people keep hanging on Brohm's nut sack. He played us. Good for him, but now I hope he loses every game. And he better enjoy this pay day because there won't be another one. So thankful Purdue ponied up.

Too funny. You Trinity people keep hanging on Brohm's nut sack. He played us. Good for him, but now I hope he loses every game. And he better enjoy this pay day because there won't be another one. So thankful Purdue ponied up.

Right now it seems like Purdue is the one that got played. It looks like we may have dodged a bullet. Too early to say for sure!

Not quite the same. You were coaching at Valley, getting paid about 4 mill a year, PRP calls and asks you if you are interested. You go back to Valley and ask them, what can you do for me?
I’m over Brohm. He will probably never coach here. I’m ok with that. Let’s move forward with the staff we have.
They called to ask if he was interested (my answer would be yes I’m interested) but did they call with a legitimate offer? Not the same thing.

After 4-5 games, I am happy with how things worked out. I truly feel in 2 years we (UofL) will be VERY happy with the way things worked out. CSS has to get through this year and next with the schedule and recruiting, after that we are back to a top25 team.

Last edited:
No one knows what circumstances led to Brohm staying at Purdue. I have met him and a really good friend of mine is a close friend to Jeff. My impression is he is a stand up guy and a good person unlike the last coach we had.

If my memory is correct he was only at Purdue for 2 years when the opportunity arose to come to Louisville. I believe if he had been in year 4-5 or longer at Purdue that the outcome could have been different. Bailing out on the players, administration, recruits and fans after such a short period just doesn't seem to be in his DNA.

I know I know what about the money. Wasn't this the guy still driving around in Bowling Green in a 1999 Honda or something like that when he was coaching there? I am sure his agent and others were in his ear during contract talks. Let's face it, who doesn't want to make more $$.

Before the bashing starts let me make this clear. I AM IMPRESSED AND SO GRATEFUL that CSS is running the program and being a positive role model for the players. I only wish Lamar could have played for CSS. I believe we do have the right guy at the helm and hope he wants to make Louisville his home for a very long time.

Go Cards.

I do not believe one bit that Brohm played us for more money. One of my favorite Coaches, Denny Crum was supposed to go back to UCLA after gaining some head coaching experience and waiting for Coach Wooden to retire. He came to Louisville, established his own identity and a young rabid fan base got behind him and when the time to return to UCLA was presented. Denny chose to stay at UofL where he had established himself on his own. I think Denny wanted to return but he built something special here. Brohm's whole family played here and he coached here. The guy was torn and chose to stay at a program where he's started something special. They are taking there lumps today, but when those freshman become juniors, he will be tough to beat in the Big 10.

Reactions: zipp
After 4-5 games, I am happy with how things worked out. I truly feel in 2 years we (UofL) will be VERY happy with the way things worked out. CSS has to get through this year and next with the schedule and recruiting, after that we are back to a top25 team.

This is where I am right now. I may have to eat crow in a few years, but I really feel good about the direction the program is heading under the new coaching staff.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
You don't know that. It's a convenient narrative after the fact...
I do know that. It's also not the first time he's done it for a raise. It's OK. I'm not mad at him, but he's played that card twice now. There won't be a 3rd.

Brohm flirted with Tennessee after the 2017 season but he elected to stay and was rewarded with a new contract.

Then it happened again.

When Louisville fired Bobby Petrino in November, the school approached Brohm, who listened to his hometown university but decided to remain in West Lafayette.

How much did it cost Purdue to keep Jeff Brohm from leaving for Louisville?

The details were released Friday after the school's board of trustees approved a new seven-year contract, which includes retention bonuses and a $1.7 million signing bonus spread over two payments

The total value of Brohm's new deal is $36.8 million over the seven years, which includes supplemental income, base salary, retention bonuses and the signing bonus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ach-jeff-brohm-contract-extension/3447621002/

You are welcome zipp.

I do know that. It's also not the first time he's done it for a raise. It's OK. I'm not mad at him, but he's played that card twice now. There won't be a 3rd.

Brohm flirted with Tennessee after the 2017 season but he elected to stay and was rewarded with a new contract.

Then it happened again.

When Louisville fired Bobby Petrino in November, the school approached Brohm, who listened to his hometown university but decided to remain in West Lafayette.

The details were released Friday after the school's board of trustees approved a new seven-year contract, which includes retention bonuses and a $1.7 million signing bonus spread over two payments

The total value of Brohm's new deal is $36.8 million over the seven years, which includes supplemental income, base salary, retention bonuses and the signing bonus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ach-jeff-brohm-contract-extension/3447621002/

You are welcome zipp.
The flaw in your analysis is equating Louisville with Tennessee or any other college football program.

You're welcome, Cue...

I'm not sure how hard it is to "use" the current AD. Sometimes you ask for it.

Nailed it. I'm an X grad... :confused:
NM
I do not believe one bit that Brohm played us for more money. One of my favorite Coaches, Denny Crum was supposed to go back to UCLA after gaining some head coaching experience and waiting for Coach Wooden to retire. He came to Louisville, established his own identity and a young rabid fan base got behind him and when the time to return to UCLA was presented. Denny chose to stay at UofL where he had established himself on his own. I think Denny wanted to return but he built something special here. Brohm's whole family played here and he coached here. The guy was torn and chose to stay at a program where he's started something special. They are taking there lumps today, but when those freshman become juniors, he will be tough to beat in the Big 10.
When the freshman become juniors Ohio State will still be Ohio State, Wisconsin will still be Wisconsin and the sophomores at Minnesota that have kicked his ass two years straight will be seniors. You my friend are delusional. Brum is a .500 or lower coach at Purdue currently and when the train wreck for him in West Lafayette is over. Write it down.

Reactions: Boilersbt4
The flaw in your analysis is equating Louisville with Tennessee or any other college football program.

You're welcome, Cue...
There is no flaw. You said "I didn't know that" insinuating that I didn't know if he had played both sides against each other for more money. I showed you proof he's done it twice. Once while using Tennessee then again while using his alma mater. I'm not going to engage any further because we all understand you can't accept it when you're wrong, but others see it and that's all I was looking for.

Reactions: Mayoman and BPGhost
There is no flaw. You said "I didn't know that" insinuating that I didn't know if he had played both sides against each other for more money. I showed you proof he's done it twice. Once while using Tennessee then again while using his alma mater. I'm not going to engage any further because we all understand you can't accept it when you're wrong, but others see it and that's all I was looking for.
Yeah, but you're trying to use two examples that don't equate. There's nothing similar about Tennessee and Louisville as far as Brohm is concerned except that they're football jobs. Brohm had no personal connection with Tennessee.

I said you had no evidence that Brohm used Louisville, and you still don't...

Reactions: luv2hit63
This is where I am right now. I may have to eat crow in a few years, but I really feel good about the direction the program is heading under the new coaching staff.

Yep, I am VERY interested to see the direction CSS and staff go on these last 5 or so open schollys. Need to bump that win total a little and I think we snag a few surprises. Our schedule next year is pretty solid again with ND, OOC and not sure what to think about VT.

Yeah, but you're trying to use two examples that don't equate. There's nothing similar about Tennessee and Louisville as far as Brohm is concerned except that they're football jobs. Brohm had no personal connection with Tennessee.

Seems to be evidence to me. Just saying

Reactions: BPGhost

Tennessee and Louisville may not equate to you, but they sure did to Brohm

And purdoo.

So you’re saying the Cards tried to go cheap because of his ties???
That's a good point. It was commonly declared that U of L would not get a "hometown discount" in Brohm's contract negotiations. Who knows if U of L got the memo...

Seems to be evidence to me. Just saying
It's evidence how much money it took Purdue to keep Brohm from coming to Louisville.

Nothing else. The rest is fan narrative...

I don’t think Brohm had the intention to use UofL to get more money from Purdue, but he is a buffoon if he didn’t think that if he stayed at Purdue after having talks with us that’s what he’d be doing. And in hindsight that’s what happened. His talks with us got him more money. That’s the problem I have with what he did. Great job on his part to stick to his commitment to Purdue, although they made it easier for him by offering that much money, but why put us (his alma mater) in the middle. He had the power to tell Tyra on the phone, without the circus, that he wasn’t interested. No one would have ever known, I feel like we deserved that from him as much as Purdue deserved him honoring his commitment to them.

So you’re saying the Cards tried to go cheap because of his ties???

Lol at this. UofL did not go cheap by any means for Brohm. I’m convinced more than ever that ncccardfan is zip. If not, definitely his minion, and just as out of touch with the actual events that occurred. Hahaha

Tyra made a good offer to Brohm, probably more of an offer than he had earned to this point in his career. You have to draw a line somewhere if you’re Tyra with how much you’re willing to offer Brohm. After all, easy decision for Tyra to make not to get into a contract battle with Purdue when you have a coach such as CSS who had just as good of a resume if not better, and we got him for a great deal.

Tyra made a good offer to Brohm, probably more of an offer than he had earned to this point in his career. You have to draw a line somewhere if you’re Tyra with how much you’re willing to offer Brohm. After all, easy decision for Tyra to make not to get into a contract battle with Purdue when you have a coach such as CSS who had just as good of a resume if not better, and we got him for a great deal.
Exactly. Tyra offered more money to Brohm than he would have if he was just another coach with the same resume but without the ties to UofL. He did this for a couple of reasons - not the least of which because he was being responsive to what a big portion of what the fan base wanted. Kudos to him for drawing a line in the sand and not not taking the easy way out by overpaying Brohm like purdoo has done.

I don’t think Brohm had the intention to use UofL to get more money from Purdue, but he is a buffoon if he didn’t think that if he stayed at Purdue after having talks with us that’s what he’d be doing. And in hindsight that’s what happened. His talks with us got him more money. That’s the problem I have with what he did. Great job on his part to stick to his commitment to Purdue, although they made it easier for him by offering that much money, but why put us (his alma mater) in the middle. He had the power to tell Tyra on the phone, without the circus, that he wasn’t interested. No one would have ever known, I feel like we deserved that from him as much as Purdue deserved him honoring his commitment to them.
What part of not being officially given an offer do you not understand. Of course he was “interested” but he’s not stupid or greedy, it’s a business something some of you fail to understand...

Let’s ask this question, but instead of applying it to Brohm, just for chuckles, let’s use Tyra. Who would you think he should be more loyal to? His Alma mater or the school who’s paying his salary? In the case of Tyra, never would believe that U of L fans would trust a UK graduate (Tyra) than say have something good to say about a U of L graduate and National Champion, Kenny Payne. I think some of you have forgotten your roots.

Let’s ask this question, but instead of applying it to Brohm, just for chuckles, let’s use Tyra. Who would you think he should be more loyal to? His Alma mater or the school who’s paying his salary? In the case of Tyra, never would believe that U of L fans would trust a UK graduate (Tyra) than say have something good to say about a U of L graduate and National Champion, Kenny Payne. I think some of you have forgotten your roots.

You make zero sense

Reactions: fredburgcard
It's evidence how much money it took Purdue to keep Brohm from coming to Louisville.

Nothing else. The rest is fan narrative...
I don’t know why this is so difficult. Vince NQ had a budget, approached Brohm, his demands exceeded the budget, so it didn’t get done. Period. I am ok with the way it worked out. I really think that whatever your opinion of Satterfield vs Brohm its pretty clear to me that this is a very strong staff overall and I would not trade them for Purdue’s current staff.

Reactions: Mayoman
No drunkenness, I wish him nothing but more losses. Screw him, he played us for a raise - it was all about the dollar.

Oh, and he took Petrino’s worst coaching trait and ran with it - nepotism and a horrible “D” coordinator.

He’s got brother Greg on the sideline right beside him with a headset on. That guy's resume is garbage, he’s never done ANYTHING to merit standing where he is. Brother Brian is Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach. While successful as a college QB he has done zero in coaching circles to deserve his spot for a school in the Big 10/Power 5.

Jeff deserves what he gets, no tears here. I pull against the kitties first, Purdue second. It gives me something else to do, especially on a bye week. Go Cards!

If the cayuts and purrrdoo ever played, is it at all possible that both teams lose?

Then it happened again.

You are welcome zipp.

Facts are fun.

Reactions: Cue Card
I don't think Brohm really did much wrong with UofL - he didn't take an extraordinary amount of time to provide his decision, he didn't publicly waffle and never gave UofL fans any cemented statements expressing he'd be taking the job. The only quotes I recall him making involved how much he liked being at Purdue and felt he had unfinished business there.

He could still end up being a HC here in 5-10 years.

I agree. He's making Saban money. Can't hate a brother for that. I admit from a selfish POV that watching Brohm struggle makes me feel better about the Satterfield hire in the short term. He is building a program, so is Sattterfield, we can all have opinions but the truth is no one will know who came out better until some years have passed.

Reactions: Mayoman
I don’t know why this is so difficult. Vince NQ had a budget, approached Brohm, his demands exceeded the budget, so it didn’t get done. Period. I am ok with the way it worked out. I really think that whatever your opinion of Satterfield vs Brohm its pretty clear to me that this is a very strong staff overall and I would not trade them for Purdue’s current staff.
I think that is very accurate, however, Brohm was made out to be a selfish greedy person when he was actually being loyal to his players not his bank account.

So based on that premise, whoever was representing U of L didn’t or doesn’t know how that works? Hmm..

Of course they do, which is why you saw UofL not push and try and outbid Purdue. Here’s how the situation could have played out...

Tyra: Hey Jeff, just seeing if you had any interest in the UofL job.

Brohm: No need for an offer Vince, I’m gonna stay loyal to my team.

Tyra: Ok Jeff, best of luck.

Instead it went something like this...

Tyra: Hey Jeff, any interest in the UofL job.

Brohm: Yes

Tyra: Here’s our offer

Brohm: Let me think about it.

(In the meantime, Purdue ups Jeff’s contract)

Tyra: Well what do you think Jeff?

Brohm: Sorry Vince, I’m committed to my team.

In the end, a simple no would have been respectful to his alma mater. I don’t blame him for playing other jobs to get more money, I do blame him for doing it to us. But whatever, I hope the best for Jeff, I have great memories of his time here.

If he, or anybody else, comes here one day I’ll hope he wins big.

Until then I don’t care what he does.

Very few people would turn down a $2MM raise (or whatever it was). Everything I've read here, nothing sticks out to me as being slimy. I'm sure he did have to think about it a bit, the raise AND sticking out what he was building (they aren't mutually exclusive). I get being disappointed at the time but at this point the anger is misplaced IMO.

Reactions: nccardfan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT