ADVERTISEMENT

Fighting Brohms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they do, which is why you saw UofL not push and try and outbid Purdue. Here’s how the situation could have played out...

Tyra: Hey Jeff, just seeing if you had any interest in the UofL job.

Brohm: No need for an offer Vince, I’m gonna stay loyal to my team.

Tyra: Ok Jeff, best of luck.

Instead it went something like this...

Tyra: Hey Jeff, any interest in the UofL job.

Brohm: Yes

Tyra: Here’s our offer

Brohm: Let me think about it.

(In the meantime, Purdue ups Jeff’s contract)

Tyra: Well what do you think Jeff?

Brohm: Sorry Vince, I’m committed to my team.

In the end, a simple no would have been respectful to his alma mater. I don’t blame him for playing other jobs to get more money, I do blame him for doing it to us. But whatever, I hope the best for Jeff, I have great memories of his time here.
Two things you left out. After the first “offer” by Tyra, Jeff says, Vince You know I love U of L but I don’t know about the timing. I need to talk to my family (which now includes the Purdue football family i.e, his players). Unlike WKU who was smart enough to know that going to Purdue was important to Brohm’s career, they made no real effort to retain him. Purdue on the other hand realized that losing Jeff to U of L was a legitimate concern. The players, the community and the University did what they could to retain him. Then maybe VT was smart enough or couldn’t throw more money at Jeff for him to even remotely consider leaving. Time to move on Jeff is at Purdue and Satterfield is at U of L. I’m happy!

Reactions: gocds
In my opinion, Tyra had already spoken to Satterfield’s agent and knew that Satterfield would accept the Louisville job for what we were offering (a little over $3 million per year, ballpark...) But ... Tyra also knew that the fan base wanted Brohm and that it would be a mistake not to talk to him about the job as well. When it became clear that Purdue was going to fight to keep him and that UofL would have to offer at least $2.5 million more per year than what Satterfield would come for in order to get him, Tyra took the hit and made the smart choice.

And I say it was the smart choice not just because of how 2019 has gone so far - admittedly that has played a part in it. No one outside of Tyra knew that Satterfield was so good with the press and at instilling a family atmosphere. In the short term, I think all the negativity around the program made it difficult for Satterfield to patch together a recruiting class. Coming from Purdue, Brohm would have almost certainly been able to do better with the 2019 class.

But when it comes right down to it, in Satterfield UofL was getting a coach who had demonstrated almost exactly the same championship-level of head coaching ability at App State as Brohm had done at Western Kentucky. The only difference is that Brohm had two years at Purdue which included the stunning win over Ohio State last year.

When you’re not even sure if $5.5 million per year is going to be enough, it’s pretty much a no-brainer to go with a hungry and talented head coach for $2.25 million less per year.

Lol - commonly declared by whom exactly? Brohm’s agent?
One guy who said it repeatedly—in fact I’m quoting him—was Mark E’s boss, Deener. And no one debated him IIRC.

Of course at that time, wishful thinkers naively believed Brohm was coming and cost wouldn’t be an issue. I guess the “Vince” factor was underestimated.

But why are you questioning that? Do you believe U of L was entitled to what Deener called a “hometown discount”? How naive were you?...

I don’t know why this is so difficult. Vince NQ had a budget, approached Brohm, his demands exceeded the budget, so it didn’t get done. Period. I am ok with the way it worked out. I really think that whatever your opinion of Satterfield vs Brohm its pretty clear to me that this is a very strong staff overall and I would not trade them for Purdue’s current staff.
What’s clear is that “Vince” failed to deliver on Plan A, his plan. And the worse Brohm looks, the bigger idiot—or blind squirrel (your pick)—that “Vince” looks...

What’s clear is that “Vince” failed to deliver on Plan A, his plan. And the worse Brohm looks, the bigger idiot—or blind squirrel (your pick)—that “Vince” looks...

I don't know that Brohm's failures at Purdue represent what he could have done at UofL. It's kind of apples and oranges. Purdue is like Kentucky, a perennial bottom feeder (minus Drew Brees). I think the jury is still out on Brohm, though admittedly it looks bad at this point in time.

I don't know that Brohm's failures at Purdue represent what he could have done at UofL. It's kind of apples and oranges. Purdue is like Kentucky, a perennial bottom feeder (minus Drew Brees). I think the jury is still out on Brohm, though admittedly it looks bad at this point in time.
I’m fine with Brohm. I’m addressing the haters in this space and requiring dots to connect...

Jeff should be just fine, as long as he doesn’t lose the fan base. What’s happening to him is fairly typical in a middle of the pack P5 program when the previous coach either recruits poorly or has a very young (freshman and sophomore dominated) roster. Back before the NCAA APR and GSR initiatives, coaches came in and cleaned house, running off the players that didn’t fit their system. Now if you do that your APR score suffers.

Because Coach Hazell recruited so poorly and Jeff has recruited the high school ranks so well, Jeff currently has a roster where nearly all of the best players are sophomores and freshmen. He was able to get Purdue back to respectable with a culture change and improved coaching, but they are very young this year.

Coach Satterfield may have a similar problem in year 3, because Petrino had a very young roster in 2018. If we rely mainly on high school recruiting, we could also be a very young team in 2021.

logic and reason only get you so far is this matter...I often find out what I think by first figuring out how I feel...when I saw Nevada come back and win against Purdue, it made me smile; that was not a forgone conclusion prior to the comeback. I liked seeing Brohm lose because he chose to not come home. the thing is, if he is going to come back I'd be happy to see him win again; but why would we offer to Brohm again? Say Sat leaves for a traditional power in 5 years after rebuilding our FB to a top 25 program again, and Brohm has made it to 2 more bowls in that time? (he's not getting an offer). I think 2 bowls for Purdue in 5 years is a good bet, he stuck with Purdue and the path back to us is now gone ( in my mind)...so he and Purdue can go languish in the basement of the B1G and every time they lose it'll make me smile.

Can anyone see a path back, I just can't see a scenario where it would simultaneously be in our interest and his...not in the next 5-10 yrs at least. Maybe he comes out of retirement in 25 years to come back, but that scenario is too distant to consider.

But why are you questioning that? Do you believe U of L was entitled to what Deener called a “hometown discount”? How naive were you?...
All reports have UofL’s offer to Brohm at between 4.5 and 5M. That is in no way a hometown discount offer. If you think it is, you’re the one with the naïveté.

logic and reason only get you so far is this matter...I often find out what I think by first figuring out how I feel...when I saw Nevada come back and win against Purdue, it made me smile; that was not a forgone conclusion prior to the comeback. I liked seeing Brohm lose because he chose to not come home. the thing is, if he is going to come back I'd be happy to see him win again; but why would we offer to Brohm again? Say Sat leaves for a traditional power in 5 years after rebuilding our FB to a top 25 program again, and Brohm has made it to 2 more bowls in that time? (he's not getting an offer). I think 2 bowls for Purdue in 5 years is a good bet, he stuck with Purdue and the path back to us is now gone ( in my mind)...so he and Purdue can go languish in the basement of the B1G and every time they lose it'll make me smile.

Can anyone see a path back, I just can't see a scenario where it would simultaneously be in our interest and his...not in the next 5-10 yrs at least. Maybe he comes out of retirement in 25 years to come back, but that scenario is too distant to consider.

I can absolutely see a path back. If Satt kills it here and moves to another job in January 2024, I would expect one of our AD’s first calls would be to Jeff Brohm to see if he’s interested this time around. A lot can change in 5 years, including a coach’s satisfaction with his employer, and a fan base’s satisfaction with a coach.

Jeff was only two years into his coaching tenure at Purdue, and the fans and administration were thrilled with the job he had done turning around the program. It was going to be hard to walk away from that, especially so soon after taking the job. Unless he’s won (or at least played in) the Big Ten championship game by 2023, it’s doubtful that the fans there will be as thrilled with him after year 7 as they were in year 2. They just might be clamoring to throw him out and hire Drew Brees at that point.

I can absolutely see a path back. If Satt kills it here and moves to another job in January 2024, I would expect one of our AD’s first calls would be to Jeff Brohm to see if he’s interested this time around. A lot can change in 5 years, including a coach’s satisfaction with his employer, and a fan base’s satisfaction with a coach.

Jeff was only two years into his coaching tenure at Purdue, and the fans and administration were thrilled with the job he had done turning around the program. It was going to be hard to walk away from that, especially so soon after taking the job. Unless he’s won (or at least played in) the Big Ten championship game by 2023, it’s doubtful that the fans there will be as thrilled with him after year 7 as they were in year 2. They just might be clamoring to throw him out and hire Drew Brees at that point.
I can absolutely see that scenario playing out. That said if it does, I would think that Louisville’s sights would be set higher than a coach whose only proven record, is of average results.

I vote NO, I mean HELL NO to Jeffie Brum 2.0 coaching search. He had his shot, he got his money, that ship has sailed in a big way. Plus, we do not want a .500 level coach from a Big 10 bottom feeder.

Whether Satterfield gets the job done or not I like his blueprint much better than Jeffie’s sling it around BS. I’ve come to the realization that if you want to play with the big boys you gotta play big boy football. Satterfield gets it, establish the run - Brum is playing “Bobby Ball” and while it’s fun at times it doesn’t get the job done.

A double HELL NO to Jeffie Brum.

All reports have UofL’s offer to Brohm at between 4.5 and 5M. That is in no way a hometown discount offer. If you think it is, you’re the one with the naïveté.
Now cmon. Bobby was the 25th highest salary in 2018 under 4 mil. Purdue was 27th with Jeff’s base salary at 3.8 mil. You’re saying that U of L offered 5 million? You mean Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley or 10th highest college football salary? With all the pending possible lawsuits and such? Where was that money coming from?

Now cmon. Bobby was the 25th highest salary in 2018 under 4 mil. Purdue was 27th with Jeff’s base salary at 3.8 mil. You’re saying that U of L offered 5 million? You mean Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley or 10th highest college football salary? With all the pending possible lawsuits and such? Where was that money coming from?
I’m saying that between those two figures was reportedly the offer to Brohm. My guess is that it would have been closer to the 4.5 but even if it were 4.25M - that’s still not a figure that could possibly be construed by anyone - that’s not desperately pushing a different narrative - as a hometown discount.

As for the money. Can you name me one time that a lack of money has stopped UofL from doing something sports related?

That’s easy. He implied that Brohm was only interested in getting more money so apparently they didn’t offer enough (if you believe that premise, which I don’t).
Well purdoo offered 5.35M and UofL (thankfully) didn’t so, I guess you could definitely say UofL didn’t offer enough to get him to switch.

I’m saying that between those two figures was reportedly the offer to Brohm. My guess is that it would have been closer to the 4.5 but even if it were 4.25M - that’s still not a figure that could possibly be construed by anyone - that’s not desperately pushing a different narrative - as a hometown discount.

As for the money. Can you name me one time that a lack of money has stopped UofL from doing something sports related?
So you’re saying that was an offer he couldn’t refuse because he was only interested in money but yet he did?

And then apparently this is or was a time that money or lack of money prevented them from bettering Purdue’s deal? So either he took less money to stay at Purdue or U of L didn’t match their offer OR Jeff decided to finish what he was hired to do.

Just think, if JB would have lost that game to OSU, we wouldn’t have threads/pages about JB. Then we might have pages about our CSS.

Reactions: Mayoman
So you’re saying that was an offer he couldn’t refuse because he was only interested in money but yet he did?

And then apparently this is or was a time that money or lack of money prevented them from bettering Purdue’s deal? So either he took less money to stay at Purdue or U of L didn’t match their offer OR Jeff decided to finish what he was hired to do.
I say again - wut?

I didn’t say Louisville’s was an offer he couldn’t refuse because clearly he did refuse it. I also didn’t say that he was only interested in money - I simply stated that he leveraged UofL’s offer to get a substantial raise from purdoo.

Summing up.

1. He took more money to stay at purdoo.
2. UofL did not match purdoo’s offer - particularly since Brohm signed with purdoo after leveraging UofL’s offer into more money from the boils.
3. There is no indication that Tyra would have matched purdoo’s offer even given the chance as he clearly wasn’t going to overpay for a coach.

But he could have had he wanted to.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
Just think, if JB would have lost that game to OSU, we wouldn’t have threads/pages about JB. Then we might have pages about our CSS.
Pretty sure we do. Also pretty sure threads about Brohm or anyone / anything else don’t preclude you or anyone from starting more.

Plenty of bandwidth still left. :)

Lol, it’s definitely not that simple to reduce to one game. Also, this is just a topic of a discussion, at least people are talking.

Reactions: PHCARD

To the first paragraph, in the end he got more money from Purdue, so his refusal got him more, that’s actually the point some on here are trying to make, Brohm used his alma mater for more money. I think you’re eventually gonna get this if you keep at it.

To your 2nd paragraph, does anyone else think it’s more than just a coincidence that there is only one other person on this board that continues this myth that UofL is broke?

Reactions: BPGhost
To the first paragraph, in the end he got more money from Purdue, so his refusal got him more, that’s actually the point some on here are trying to make, Brohm used his alma mater for more money. I think you’re eventually gonna get this if you keep at it.

To your 2nd paragraph, does anyone else think it’s more than just a coincidence that there is only one other person on this board that continues this myth that UofL is broke?
How is it a refusal if you don’t match or better an offer... He didn’t use anybody. If like Ghost and you implies, U of L had Saban money to throw at Jeff...

How is it a refusal if you don’t match or better an offer... He didn’t use anybody. If like Ghost and you implies, U of L had Saban money to throw at Jeff...
It’s becomes comical reading the responses by some people on here to what people actually post.

I get that your being hyperbolic to try and distract from your position but seriously, that’s not even close to what I said. Saban makes 9.25M. 4.5-5M isn’t remotely the same because you know - math.

I’m not sure what line of work that you are in but, when you are in negotiations with two interested parties and you accept one party’s offer and not the other, that means you’ve refused an offer. If you give one party the “last look” that means the other party doesn’t have the chance to “match or better” the offer. What it means is that you favor the interested party that you’ve granted the last look to, and if they meet /exceed the other offer - you’re taking it.

I don’t get what’s so difficult about being able to grasp these basic concepts.

Guys I’m elated you are talking. I just am personally to the point where I’m so fricking tired of the loop of our past 4 years of hell. I’m so ready to move on. It’s how I feel and it’s my truth. I want to step back to our glory days to 2013 The Year of The Cardinals. I miss that high.

One guy who said it repeatedly—in fact I’m quoting him—was Mark E’s boss, Deener. And no one debated him IIRC.

Of course at that time, wishful thinkers naively believed Brohm was coming and cost wouldn’t be an issue. I guess the “Vince” factor was underestimated.

I believe very little, if anything, of what Deener says. I would advise the same for you. Thank God CJB stayed at poodon’t and that CSS wanted to be promoted to a P5/ACC school. And I say this irregardless of how this season plays out. But that’s just me.

Guys I’m elated you are talking. I just am personally to the point where I’m so fricking tired of the loop of our past 4 years of hell. I’m so ready to move on. It’s how I feel and it’s my truth. I want to step back to our glory days to 2013 The Year of The Cardinals. I miss that high.

Amen sister, amen.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
Throwing Saban and Debo money at Jeff Brohm was just crazy. I was disappoitned at the time and if I'm being honest I was underwhelmed with the Satterfield hire (but at the same time didn't have any realistic suggestions - it was like the circle from hell). Time has to play out over a few years but 4 games in from those events it looks like Louisville ended up on the better side of that one.

Throwing Saban and Debo money at Jeff Brohm was just crazy. I was disappoitned at the time and if I'm being honest I was underwhelmed with the Satterfield hire (but at the same time didn't have any realistic suggestions - it was like the circle from hell). Time has to play out over a few years but 4 games in from those events it looks like Louisville ended up on the better side of that one.

This is exactly where I was and am. Hindsight is always 20-20. Maybe we lucked into the best situation or maybe our AD figured it all out, who knows. I'll take it!

I believe very little, if anything, of what Deener says. I would advise the same for you. Thank God CJB stayed at poodon’t and that CSS wanted to be promoted to a P5/ACC school. And I say this irregardless of how this season plays out. But that’s just me.

Amen sister, amen.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Deener is a pint sized Douchebag.

I should have just taken a minute to google some print references IN ADDITION to guys like Deener on the airwaves. Too easy to crush a couple of stalkers...

"Hometown discount"

"Hometown discount"

"Hometown discount"

Your argument of Louisville low balling Brohm and him giving UofL a hometown discount, which is based on the opinion of a few local writers for the cj evidently, is moot. We offered him more than what his contract was at Purdue, which was not low by any means. Either way, Tyra made it clear in the first article you linked he wasn’t going to pay a lot for a coach, “I think if (money) becomes the sticking point, they won’t be our coach.” That doesn’t mean UofL didn’t have the money to pay a coach, which is proven wrong in your second link, so I’d take it easy on your “crushing your stalkers” comment.

Regarding your stalkers comment, when someone is combative as you they give up the right to accuse people of being stalkers. You bring it on yourself.

Last edited:
Lol, although I don’t share your exact stance on deener, I can’t for the life of me figure out why someone would deem him quote worthy.

P.s. you always make me laugh Commodore, thanks for that
Deener is a douche bag squared. I haven’t listened to him since I saw the pic of him with Minnesota gear on last March. I’m a 790AM guy during Douche Bag Deener’s 7-9 am slot.

I should have just taken a minute to google some print references IN ADDITION to guys like Deener on the airwaves. Too easy to crush a couple of stalkers...

"Hometown discount"

"Hometown discount"

"Hometown discount"
Lol - nice deflection from the main point that UofL didn’t lowball Brohm in its offer. Clearly as the article indicated, Tyra went into negotiations knowing that he was not going to overpay for Brohm and, he stuck to that. It was certainly a better approach than was taken by TJ when he overpaid for - in both salary and buyout - Petrino.

Do you want me to link a bunch of articles on how bad a deal that turned out to be?

Your argument of Louisville low balling Brohm and him giving UofL a hometown discount, which is based on the opinion of a few local writers for the cj evidently, is moot. We offered him more than what his contract was at Purdue, which was not low by any means. Either way, Tyra made it clear in the first article you linked he wasn’t going to pay a lot for a coach, “I think if (money) becomes the sticking point, they won’t be our coach.” That doesn’t mean UofL didn’t have the money to pay a coach, which is proven wrong in your second link, so I’d take it easy on your “crushing your stalkers” comment.

Regarding your stalkers comment, when someone is combative as you they give up the right to accuse people of being stalkers. You bring it on yourself.
Lol - nice deflection from the main point that UofL didn’t lowball Brohm in its offer. Clearly as the article indicated, Tyra went into negotiations knowing that he was not going to overpay for Brohm and, he stuck to that. It was certainly a better approach than was taken by TJ when he overpaid for - in both salary and buyout - Petrino.

Do you want me to link a bunch of articles on how bad a deal that turned out to be?
You guys didn't get a "hometown discount".

You were told that was going to be the case, but you and your AD didn't understand that. You were naive.

But you didn't fail because it wasn't your job to understand that and get Brohm anyway. That was on your AD...

Vince-01.jpg

You guys didn't get a "hometown discount".

You were told that was going to be the case, but you and your AD didn't understand that. You were naive.

But you didn't fail because it wasn't your job to understand that and get Brohm anyway. That was on your AD...

Zip go back to sleep. Come back around 2am, you’re more creative around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT