ADVERTISEMENT

Fighting Brohms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im mad at Jeff for not coming home but it’s hard not to feel for him and two of his best players.

Never seen anything like what just happened. Sindelar just took a hit and looks to have separated his shoulder and superstar Rondale Moore appeared to have hyperextended his knee on the same damn play.

Reactions: rh62531
Im mad at Jeff for not coming home but it’s hard not to feel for him and two of his best players.

Never seen anything like what just happened. Sindelar just took a hit and looks to have separated his shoulder and superstar Rondale Moore appeared to have hyperextended his knee on the same damn play.
Geezus

Purdue is now 1-3. JB is making $4M per year. I’m no economist, but the returns don’t seem to match the investment.

They still have 3 games against top 15 teams, a road game at Northwestern and a home game against Nebraska. Right now they are potentially looking at a no bowl season.

Someone on this board had very clear opinions about how not getting Brohm was a failure and that recruiting would have better with Brohm, etc.

They still have 3 games against top 15 teams, a road game at Northwestern and a home game against Nebraska. Right now they are potentially looking at a no bowl season.
That’s being very kind. They are staring at 3-9 or 4-8 if they get some breaks.

I'll always appreciate Jeff for what he did as a player and coach at UofL, but I cannot be sad about his lack of success after he played us to get a hefty raise.

I am very happy with Scott Satterfield and honestly feel we got the better coach. Period.

As a Purdue fan , yeah it’s looking like a disappointing season is unfolding. But patience is warranted. Brohm took over a program that won 9 games in 4 seasons, and Darrell Hazell’s recruiting classes ranked 14th all 4 seasons he was there, so the guys that should be the strength of the program as 4th and 5th year guys were a bunch of guys that had few P5 level offers, a lot of MAC level guys. The best DL has yet to play due to a severe ACL injury late last season, the best linebacker is lost for the year, and now the 2 best players on O are out, likely for the year on Sindelar, waiting to see what the injury is to Moore. Oh yeah, the starting RB broke his jaw a few days before the first game. Both lines are pretty thin on talent. Makes you wonder how Purdue won 6-7 games each of the last 2 years.

But this year’s freshman class ranked 25th in the nation, the current recruiting class ranks 29-30, there’s multiple freshman and redshirt freshman in the 2 deep or starting. Today’s comeback was led by a redshirt freshman QB making his 2nd start, a freshman RB that had close to 100 yards rushing, and 3 freshman receivers that made a lot of plays, and some redshirt freshman OL getting some reps. If we’re still having this conversation in 2 years, then it might be time to question the hire.

As a Purdue fan , yeah it’s looking like a disappointing season is unfolding. But patience is warranted. Brohm took over a program that won 9 games in 4 seasons, and Darrell Hazell’s recruiting classes ranked 14th all 4 seasons he was there, so the guys that should be the strength of the program as 4th and 5th year guys were a bunch of guys that had few P5 level offers, a lot of MAC level guys. The best DL has yet to play due to a severe ACL injury late last season, the best linebacker is lost for the year, and now the 2 best players on O are out, likely for the year on Sindelar, waiting to see what the injury is to Moore. Oh yeah, the starting RB broke his jaw a few days before the first game. Both lines are pretty thin on talent. Makes you wonder how Purdue won 6-7 games each of the last 2 years.

But this year’s freshman class ranked 25th in the nation, the current recruiting class ranks 29-30, there’s multiple freshman and redshirt freshman in the 2 deep or starting. Today’s comeback was led by a redshirt freshman QB making his 2nd start, a freshman RB that had close to 100 yards rushing, and 3 freshman receivers that made a lot of plays, and some redshirt freshman OL getting some reps. If we’re still having this conversation in 2 years, then it might be time to question the hire.
Can’t argue. Next year is the proving ground and sometimes things just don’t work out. I’m actually hoping Satterfield and Jeff succeed where they are.

Reactions: earsky
I'll always appreciate Jeff for what he did as a player and coach at UofL, but I cannot be sad about his lack of success after he played us to get a hefty raise...
You don't know that. It's a convenient narrative after the fact...

I don't think Brohm really did much wrong with UofL - he didn't take an extraordinary amount of time to provide his decision, he didn't publicly waffle and never gave UofL fans any cemented statements expressing he'd be taking the job. The only quotes I recall him making involved how much he liked being at Purdue and felt he had unfinished business there.

He could still end up being a HC here in 5-10 years.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I don't think Brohm really did much wrong with UofL - he didn't take an extraordinary amount of time to provide his decision, he didn't publicly waffle and never gave UofL fans any cemented statements expressing he'd be taking the job. The only quotes I recall him making involved how much he liked being at Purdue and felt he had unfinished business there.

He could still end up being a HC here in 5-10 years.
He did nothing wrong at all. I always respected his decision as a lifelong UofL fan.

Disappointed? Yes but I love the guy we have now just like I would have loved Jeff coming back. Why the bitterness even now? Not by you Hop but others.

I'll always appreciate Jeff for what he did as a player and coach at UofL, but I cannot be sad about his lack of success after he played us to get a hefty raise.

I am very happy with Scott Satterfield and honestly feel we got the better coach. Period.
Word, bro...Word...

Why would you say that? Drunkenness is ok but jeez.
No drunkenness, I wish him nothing but more losses. Screw him, he played us for a raise - it was all about the dollar.

Oh, and he took Petrino’s worst coaching trait and ran with it - nepotism and a horrible “D” coordinator.

He’s got brother Greg on the sideline right beside him with a headset on. That guy's resume is garbage, he’s never done ANYTHING to merit standing where he is. Brother Brian is Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach. While successful as a college QB he has done zero in coaching circles to deserve his spot for a school in the Big 10/Power 5.

Jeff deserves what he gets, no tears here. I pull against the kitties first, Purdue second. It gives me something else to do, especially on a bye week. Go Cards!

Make no mistake he would have done fine at Louisville. It was a good fit. He would of been completely accepted by the majority of the fan base. I don’t think any coach that hasn’t won championships at this level is worth 5 or 6 million. I thought Tyra would of been overpaying at 5m strictly on performance. It is incredibly tough to build a consistent winning program at Louisville/Purdue/UK/IU or for that matter 110 D1 schools. There are a lot of programs over paying to be mediocre.

I think Tyra knew he had a terrific Plan B. A proven coach with great coaching ties. We will see how this plays out. Early results are encouraging but they have a long way to go.

Brohm’s win against Ohio State last year was a fluke, it’ll never happen again. The Buckeyes came in flat, Urban was on the down slide, and Rondale Moore was still making a name for himself. Jeffie caught lightning in a bottle for one night.

That one game and the Cards/Tyra’s interest in him cost the Purdue program big money. It also made Jeffie what will be his biggest paycheck as a coach. After next season (I’ve looked at the schedule) he’ll still be firmly under the .500 mark for his career with Purdue.

While I wanted him to return initially I’m hopeful (based on early returns) that it was truly a blessing in disguise. I base it all on one thing, Satterfield is playing big-boy power football by looking to emphasize the run. Brohm is still flinging it around and hoping his offense can compensate for a crappy defense. While fun at times that style of ball just doesn’t get the job done long term.

Last edited:
I have seen and posted enough about CJB/poodon’t and I’m done with it. It’s time we moved on and were all about CSS and THE UofL football program. I’ll let the chips fall where they may but I’m ready to move on.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Jeff did play us for more money, it’s evident to anyone with the ability to think rationally. He could have told Vince through a phone call that he was staying at Purdue and saved us the drama. Not hating on Jeff at all for wanting more money, but there would have been another school he could have used to get more money.

I still think Jeff is a good coach, he’ll be fine at Purdue, they were in a big mess before he came along. I think he’s worth the wait for them to stick it out until he has time to see some of his classes get older.

Jeff did play us for more money, it’s evident to anyone with the ability to think rationally. He could have told Vince through a phone call that he was staying at Purdue and saved us the drama. Not hating on Jeff at all for wanting more money, but there would have been another school he could have used to get more money.

I still think Jeff is a good coach, he’ll be fine at Purdue, they were in a big mess before he came along. I think he’s worth the wait for them to stick it out until he has time to see some of his classes get older.
Purdue = Kitties of the Big 10

My only beef with JB was that he chose to stay at PU for the kids he had already recruited.. I admire him for that. But I felt like that was the case before he ever came here for an interview. Outisde of that, PU is my 3rd fav college FB team

I was in the [he played us to get more out of PU originally but have had a change of heart. I went to PRP, played at PRP and back then our most hated rival was Valley. If Valley calls me tomorrow and offers me $6 million a year I{ll put on the blue and gold and say Go Vikings

Reactions: nccardfan
He did nothing wrong at all. I always respected his decision as a lifelong UofL fan.

Disappointed? Yes but I love the guy we have now just like I would have loved Jeff coming back. Why the bitterness even now? Not by you Hop but others.
Bullshit. He played us for a bigger pay day, pure and simple. You don't do that to your alma mater. Karma's a bitch.

Anyone who believes Brohm just played U of L should try sleep medication and not screw with your mind...

Reactions: FlavRunit
zipp
LINK

NOT the $6 million that "Vince" was applauded for not paying to land Brohm.

That number's about a million more than Petrino was making. That was where "Vince" decided not to go, although it's hard to understand what he expected to pay when he started negotiating with Brohm. The numbers guy thought Brohm was as big a U of L fanboy as he is. (Note to "Vince": the world does not manage decisions in that realm--which is why U of L fund raising is also a big deal.)

I was never happy about a financially strapped U of L paying Petrino $14 million and millions more to attract Brohm. But ONCE YOU DECIDE TO GO DOWN THAT PATH, you need to get the job done. I equated it to driving 100 miles and second guessing yourself driving the last couple of miles. Makes no sense.

I also don't think Brohm is a slam dunk better coach than Satterfield. He may not be any better at all in the end. But THERE'S NO QUESTION about the replacement that fans wanted. There's no question how much better transition--recruiting and everything else considered--would have resulted had "Vince" finished the job. And there's no question how much more buzz there would be around the football program.

Second rate AD, second rate results. And welcome to the world of de-emphasized athletics...

1 Apr 12, 2019

Reactions: zipp
I was in the [he played us to get more out of PU originally but have had a change of heart. I went to PRP, played at PRP and back then our most hated rival was Valley. If Valley calls me tomorrow and offers me $6 million a year I{ll put on the blue and gold and say Go Vikings
Not quite the same. You were coaching at Valley, getting paid about 4 mill a year, PRP calls and asks you if you are interested. You go back to Valley and ask them, what can you do for me?
I’m over Brohm. He will probably never coach here. I’m ok with that. Let’s move forward with the staff we have.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT