ADVERTISEMENT

Do you guys still Love Ricky P?

An apology? Firing him for things that happened under his watch? Or should he apologize for the things that happened under his watch? Or should he apologize for flat out lying about him not being invited to UofL?
Pitino was canned over Adidas. And no one found him responsible for anything.

That firing was also without due process, and we owed him $30+ million.

An apology would have been a cheap exit strategy.

Truth be told, a whole lot of other people in addition to Pitino deserve apologies for the state of the athletics program. Pitino’s just one guy…

Reactions: TheRealVille

Truth be told, a whole lot of other people in addition to Pitino deserve apologies for the state of the athletics program. Pitino’s just one guy…
OK rick/richard

Reactions: earsky

Adidas was just the straw that broke the camel’s back, and it was done under his watch.
I’m not sure who’s supposed to apologize to him? You could write an anonymous letter apologizing to him.
I think ol’ slick Rick has traded his white suit for some big blue PJs!

It just boggles the mind how uninformed some fans are and how they can't recognize their disdain at Pitino is personal. They never liked him in the first place.

This is very apparent in my own family. The people who didn't want Pitino now look at him as the cause for everything. Those who got on board with him and enjoyed a decade of great basketball see how he was unfairly blamed for the upside-down culture that is pervasive all over the country.

Pitino's biggest mistake was trying to hang on after the sanctions over the stripper scandal. He should have moved on, but he didn't have a crystal ball and see how the FBI, the NCAA, and his own University were planning to pounce on him.

I will always have fond memories from 2001 to 2014 when Louisville hoops was challenging for championships and doing it without the one and done rent a Pro. The 2005 final 4 with Garcia, O'Bannon and Dean leading the way. The Twill led 2009 team that looked like the best team after smashing Arizona.

And of course the the three season period of back to back final 4's and a national title and the UK BS game from winning the 2014 title.

All of this without any infractions at all, doing it in an entertaining way that packed Freedom Hall and the Yum center. Rick Pitino gave us this and he did it without paying the one and done players.

He no doubt has a big ego. He always has, but he wins and he did it the right way until the game and the people around him sought progress and other BS instead of loyalty and excellence.

Reactions: 2330859
Adidas was just the straw that broke the camel’s back, and it was done under his watch.
I’m not sure who’s supposed to apologize to him? You could write an anonymous letter apologizing to him.
I think ol’ slick Rick has traded his white suit for some big blue PJs!
The people who represent the University today dole out the apologies. I’m not expecting Gruesome, Pizza Guy, and Postel to come back from the grave, nor is Pitino.

In fact, that should make the job of mea culpas EASIER for U of L. Who gives a $hit if they throw old incompetent dinosaurs under the bus?

But they’re too gutless to admit how many mistakes were made. So the dumpster fire keeps burning…

Reactions: 2330859
Again, it’s is not only possible, its actually a matter of fact: Pitino may be a jerk and unwelcome at UL by many of our fans, but there is no question that Grissom, Postel and Schnatter used a flawed and unprecedented FBI report to remove both Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino without due process. If UL a would have simply waited for the facts to emerge, the devastating period we experienced could have been either avoided entirely, or at least muted.

Jurich was not perfect, and some of his decisions (Kragthorpe) turned out badly, but I believe he allowed Pitino the opportunity to explain his defense of the innuendo that was inside the FBI report prior to the ultimatum that TJ received. UL BoT lacked the courage and foresight to allow TJ the time to conduct the internal investigation that he had requested.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Again, it’s is not only possible, its actually a matter of fact: Pitino may be a jerk and unwelcome at UL by many of our fans, but there is no question that Grissom, Postel and Schnatter used a flawed and unprecedented FBI report to remove both Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino without due process. If UL a would have simply waited for the facts to emerge, the devastating period we experienced could have been either avoided entirely, or at least muted.

Jurich was not perfect, and some of his decisions (Kragthorpe) turned out badly, but I believe he allowed Pitino the opportunity to explain his defense of the innuendo that was inside the FBI report prior to the ultimatum that TJ received. UL BoT lacked the courage and foresight to allow TJ the time to conduct the internal investigation that he had requested.
I'm not sure you blame Jurich for his hire of Kragthorpe. He simply hired a guy who he thought would get the job done. Jurich would not hire a guy just because he wants to give a guy a job. If he did, then yes thats on him. But Kragthorpe not working out was on Kragthorpe, not Jurich. The issue I have with Jurich was sticking with supporting Pitino too far when he chose a personal friendship over the University.

The people who represent the University today dole out the apologies. I’m not expecting Gruesome, Pizza Guy, and Postel to come back from the grave, nor is Pitino.

In fact, that should make the job of mea culpas EASIER for U of L. Who gives a $hit if they throw old incompetent dinosaurs under the bus?

But they’re too gutless to admit how many mistakes were made. So the dumpster fire keeps burning…
There’s no denying that he’s a helluva coach!

Let’s assume that he deserves an apology from people who have nothing to do with him. How do we know that an apology from the current administration wasn’t given?
He already bold faced lied saying that he has never been invited back to UofL.

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
None of the references I see here, like Luke Hancock, say he was issued an apology. Pitino also denies that. And an apology is the most important piece of the puzzle.

What's the issue here? It doesn't cost anything, settlements have been reached, and statutes of limitation have run their course. It's plain stubbornness and arrogance on the part of U of L. And we continue to pay the price with the lack of support U of L gets in exchange...

I plan to remove the “ignore” on NC Card, as I took a chance and read his respectful response to my comments. Actually, I must agree with your qualifications about TJ’s selection of Kragthorpe (rest in peace) as it was not so bad at the time, and circumstances being what they were with the Bursar’s office delaying player funds; things might have been different without the roster revolt.

None of the references I see here, like Luke Hancock, say he was issued an apology. Pitino also denies that. And an apology is the most important piece of the puzzle.

What's the issue here? It doesn't cost anything, settlements have been reached, and statutes of limitation have run their course. It's plain stubbornness and arrogance on the part of U of L. And we continue to pay the price with the lack of support U of L gets in exchange...
No one said anything about Luke saying that he was given an apology! He only stated that Pitino lied about his never being invited back.
So why should anyone take Ricks word on it?
Pitino has stubbornness and arrogance in spades.
But honestly with everyone directly involved in the whole ordeal gone wouldn’t that come across as a empty apology?

Last edited:
I think we can say this.

We all got a raw deal in 2017. All of us. Rick, Tom, the fans, the players, and even people like Vince Tyra who had to come in and be the face of it. On top of that, we had to watch our football coach quit on our fans and players and embarrass our school and then pay him $14 million to leave. We watched a board look like idiots.

I miss Rick Pitino. I miss those full court press. I miss guys like Larry O, Cisco, Taquan, T-Will(the player), E5, Edgar Sosa, Siva, Gourgi, Russ, Don and those players. I miss the Big East games where we ran top teams out and came into the ACC with fire. I miss tournament time when we peaked. I miss the energy. I miss it all.

But I'll also say, he's 71 and he'd likely be heading towards retirement. We'd have to be moving on some time, but we can't go back. We need to move on, but embrace what was great about the past and move forward.

Rick is like us, he's mad. He feels betrayed and I understand because we all feel that way. It sucks. There is not a right way to do it because it was so unfair to everyone involved.

Rick himself feels like he should've gotten that send off. To have that final game and go in the rafters. To be the local legend like Denny and attend games. But instead, he was fired and told to just get out. Now the firing was because of assistants he hired, not fully innocent, but I can see how he felt giving 17 years of his life to our city and school.

Reactions: TheRealVille
It just boggles the mind how uninformed some fans are and how they can't recognize their disdain at Pitino is personal. They never liked him in the first place.

This is very apparent in my own family. The people who didn't want Pitino now look at him as the cause for everything. Those who got on board with him and enjoyed a decade of great basketball see how he was unfairly blamed for the upside-down culture that is pervasive all over the country.

Pitino's biggest mistake was trying to hang on after the sanctions over the stripper scandal. He should have moved on, but he didn't have a crystal ball and see how the FBI, the NCAA, and his own University were planning to pounce on him.

I will always have fond memories from 2001 to 2014 when Louisville hoops was challenging for championships and doing it without the one and done rent a Pro. The 2005 final 4 with Garcia, O'Bannon and Dean leading the way. The Twill led 2009 team that looked like the best team after smashing Arizona.

And of course the the three season period of back to back final 4's and a national title and the UK BS game from winning the 2014 title.

All of this without any infractions at all, doing it in an entertaining way that packed Freedom Hall and the Yum center. Rick Pitino gave us this and he did it without paying the one and done players.

He no doubt has a big ego. He always has, but he wins and he did it the right way until the game and the people around him sought progress and other BS instead of loyalty and excellence.
I liked Pitino when he arrived and through Karen and the Striper Gate, but have no use for the man, he didn’t do anything but bring drama. He basically was a quick fix for our fan base much like a hit is to a junkie. Feels good until it’s over and you realize you’ve got nothing but an addiction.
He’s an arrogant narcissist. Apologies for what? And who? The only one he’s bashing now are the fans who stuck with him through all the BS. And what’s worse is he’s the reason they were able to fire TJ. That’s unforgivable

Last edited:
I think we can say this.

We all got a raw deal in 2017. All of us. Rick, Tom, the fans, the players, and even people like Vince Tyra who had to come in and be the face of it. On top of that, we had to watch our football coach quit on our fans and players and embarrass our school and then pay him $14 million to leave. We watched a board look like idiots.

I miss Rick Pitino. I miss those full court press. I miss guys like Larry O, Cisco, Taquan, T-Will(the player), E5, Edgar Sosa, Siva, Gourgi, Russ, Don and those players. I miss the Big East games where we ran top teams out and came into the ACC with fire. I miss tournament time when we peaked. I miss the energy. I miss it all.

But I'll also say, he's 71 and he'd likely be heading towards retirement. We'd have to be moving on some time, but we can't go back. We need to move on, but embrace what was great about the past and move forward.

Rick is like us, he's mad. He feels betrayed and I understand because we all feel that way. It sucks. There is not a right way to do it because it was so unfair to everyone involved.

Rick himself feels like he should've gotten that send off. To have that final game and go in the rafters. To be the local legend like Denny and attend games. But instead, he was fired and told to just get out. Now the firing was because of assistants he hired, not fully innocent, but I can see how he felt giving 17 years of his life to our city and school.
Great post! Encapsulates everything I feel about the entire thing. I remember feeling like we were on top of the world in 2013. The year of the Cardinals.

Little did I know how just 10 years later, the entire world of college basketball would came crashing down directly on my favorite team.

I can only imagine how that felt for Pitino and Jurich. But we're on our way back if the college game allows it.

I liked Pitino when he arrived and through Karen and the Striper Gate, but have use for the man, he didn’t do anything but bring drama. He basically was a quick fix for our fan base much like a hit is to a junkie. Feels good until it’s over and you realize you’ve got nothing but an addiction.
He’s an arrogant narcissist. Apologies for what? And who? The only one he’s bashing now are the fans who stuck with him through all the BS. And what’s worse is he’s the reason they were able to fire TJ. That’s unforgivable
Dude, who are you calling a narcissist? Maybe you're a narcissist? Maybe I am? Maybe Coach Kelsey is?

Whether he is or not is irrelevant to what he accomplished at UofL. He went into the Hall of Fame as a Cardinal. He in no way deserved what happened to him here, even if there's some accountability by him for how this all I got started.

There was a coup to rid of him and the program paid the price for that.

Dude, who are you calling a narcissist? Maybe you're a narcissist? Maybe I am? Maybe Coach Kelsey is?

Whether he is or not is irrelevant to what he accomplished at UofL. He went into the Hall of Fame as a Cardinal. He in no way deserved what happened to him here, even if there's some accountability by him for how this all I got started.

There was a coup to rid of him and the program paid the price for that.
Let me make this simple for you as you appear to like to be the butt of jokes.
If someone’s holding a gun on you and doesn’t have a bullet and you give him a bullet and he shoots you it’s your fault.
Pitino gave those individuals you speak of the bullet with all of his piss poor management of this program. But he also gave them what they needed to take out TJ too. Let me make it more simplistic. He’s the one that created the coup.
Then he runs back to them and claims he’s returned to Camelot. Geez some people just don’t get it. I’m not sure he ever wanted to beat SuCk.

Thanks for making it so simple for me. I don't know what I would have done. Good thing this board has Cards fans like you putting us joke fans in our place.

All fan bases have those like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT