ADVERTISEMENT

CPK Defensive Philosophy

With that said, is there any concern with what sounds like a limited defensive philosophy?

I know defense was somewhat of a concern by some fans when they looked up CPKs past teams. I believe they played hard but gave up a lot of points.

Will improved caliber of athletes help in this area? I know many of the current players are considered good defenders.

With that said, is there any concern with what sounds like a limited defensive philosophy?

I know defense was somewhat of a concern by some fans when they looked up CPKs past teams. I believe they played hard but gave up a lot of points.

Will improved caliber of athletes help in this area? I know many of the current players are considered good defenders.
I'll take a stab at it and say the defensive end will be more aggressive and much better given the talent and maturity of the team.

I say this having followed the Skip Prosser tree of coaches since his days at Xavier. At first glance they seem to be more focused on the offensive end. CCM embraced the Pack Line concept but I don't think he ever had the talent to implement it as well as he did at X. CPK will pressure out front both on the ball and in passing lanes while employing the bigs to alter shots when things break down out front. IMO we are going to see a LOT of deflections and the other teams' offense being disrupted. Just my take.

I'll take a stab at it and say the defensive end will be more aggressive and much better given the talent and maturity of the team.

I say this having followed the Skip Prosser tree of coaches since his days at Xavier. At first glance they seem to be more focused on the offensive end. CCM embraced the Pack Line concept but I don't think he ever had the talent to implement it as well as he did at X. CPK will pressure out front both on the ball and in passing lanes while employing the bigs to alter shots when things break down out front. IMO we are going to see a LOT of deflections and the other teams' offense being disrupted. Just my take.
I would love to see a lot of deflections on defense leading to fast break points again. This team is long, tall, and athletic so I can see it happening.

Nothing suggest defense is a priority wants to outscore .And his words "they are similar to Bama." Sidenote without the same caliber player.

Defensive efficiency
Ark #268
Bama #269
College of Charleston #297

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
So we are going back to Denny Crum's type of defense with possibly a modern twist. Crum loved man-to-man with a lot of switching. Too bad Coach Crum is not around any more but he'd be a good brain to pick for our new coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
I don't like the idea of being predictable, easy to scheme against. Simplified D offers easy substitution schedules and decreased confusion on roles. I'd love to see some trapping, and switching on screens, but I'm happy to at least have a philosophy in place. And glad it's not the pack line scheme (booring).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT