ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Ramey

Somebody that has time, please list the teams that won a title in the last 10 yrs without a single 5 star on the roster. I'm unsure if there were any.
So not only has it been done, it was us who did it...

Oops - stand corrected. Behanan was listed as No. 23 in the 24/7 composite all star ranking listing him as a 5 star. For the past 10 Championships, every champion has at least one on their roster. Some teams had 4 (UNC).

PS Michigan made it to the final four without 5 star talent. It’s called “chopping wood”

Also Arizona reaches a FF under Sean Miller without a 5 star

Last edited:

Oops - stand corrected. Behanan was listed as No. 23 in the 24/7 composite all star ranking listing him as a 5 star. For the past 10 Championships, every champion has at least one on their roster. Some teams had 4 (UNC).

PS Michigan made it to the final four without 5 star talent. It’s called “chopping wood”

I didn't ask about FF. I knew there would be multiple examples of FF teams not having a 5 star.

Not saying I have a big dog in the fight. But it appears having a 5 star contributor is a common denominator for title winning teams. But maybe not. Depends on how far we go back for sure. I don't think the Florida teams had 5 stars but not sure.

Not saying I have a big dog in the fight. But it appears having a 5 star contributor is a common denominator for title winning teams. But maybe not. Depends on how far we go back for sure. I don't think the Florida teams had 5 stars but not sure.

That's my point here. The past 10 years, every single champion had a 5* and with other teams trying to get the upper talent, if we want a championship, history shows we need it as well. I'm not advocating nor do I want to have 5 OAD's on the team, but a 5* or two like Mikal Brides/Jalen Brunson/Miles Bridges, etc. who are willing to stay more than 1 year because they love the college game and the team that they play for. Miles could've easily went lottery last year, but chose to return on his own account. Surround 1-2 5*'s (multiple year or OAD) with 4* Sophomore-Seniors and you have one heck of a team.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
But isn’t the goal to win championships? If the common denominator is highly talented players then why would we want to recruit anyone but players that can play at a high level. Get 1-2 5 star guys every other year and then fill the roster with the guys like Sutton and Perry who are grinders.
My point is that championships are won by good programs. That's cause-and-effect.

Good programs tend to attract five-star kids. That's why they're more likely on championship teams. That's not necessarily cause-and-effect. And as evidence, I can show you five-star kids who are nowhere close to winning a championship.

The reason it's risky business nowadays trying to recruit 1 or 2 five-star kids in a class is because most of them are dirty. The FBI is showing you that. One Brian Bowen will bring you down. It's also why true coaching--not recruiting--is becoming a much more important part of the game. Most of the dirty kids won't be in college basketball in a few years...

My point is that championships are won by good programs. That's cause-and-effect.

Good programs tend to attract five-star kids. That's why they're more likely on championship teams. That's not necessarily cause-and-effect. And as evidence, I can show you five-star kids who are nowhere close to winning a championship.

The reason it's risky business nowadays trying to recruit 1 or 2 five-star kids in a class is because most of them are dirty. The FBI is showing you that. One Brian Bowen will bring you down. It's also why true coaching--not recruiting--is becoming a much more important part of the game. Most of the dirty kids won't be in college basketball in a few years...

What is your opinion on who UofL should be recruiting? Only 3 star players and below?

And as we understand, Chane is a reason that banner is not presently hanging in the rafters... Kinda underscores my point about recruiting them.

Lets blame it on the kid and not the Assistant who caused it....LOL

It's an impermissible benefit if it's offered--that's on McGee. You're not ineligible if you don't accept it--that's on Behanan. And the banner is down because of ineligible players.

You need to better understand this stuff...

Reactions: nccardfan
What is your opinion on who UofL should be recruiting? Only 3 star players and below?
At the moment, that's a difficult question to answer. I'd probably recruit kids who were NOT being recruited by the major programs. Those four-star kids would be my targets presently--and I'd keep my fingers crossed doing that.

The rest below that are probably safe... Guys like Luke Hancock, Russ Smith, etc...

So it’s kinda like a chicken and the egg scenario. We have had of solid teams without true 5 star guys, but I question the championship caliber of these squads. Mack’s squad as it stands is a good example of a potential NCAA tourney team. He will have to give a solid coaching effort in order to get this bunch to the dance, but they have the potential. Championship caliber or even elite 8 caliber is not even a question though IMO. We’ll see if Mack can show his prowess.

It's an impermissible benefit if it's offered--that's on McGee. You're not ineligible if you don't accept it--that's on Behanan. And the banner is down because of ineligible players.

You need to better understand this stuff...

So it was only Behanan and it's because he was a 5*. Got it.

At the moment, that's a difficult question to answer. I'd probably recruit kids who were NOT being recruited by the major programs. Those four-star kids would be my targets presently--and I'd keep my fingers crossed doing that.

The rest below that are probably safe... Guys like Luke Hancock, Russ Smith, etc...

At that point we aren't winning anything anyhow. Hoping to get a tourney bid or win a single game amounts to sanctions anyway. We will have to get upper level 4 star recruits at least and those players will be recruited by major programs.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
The assistant was the reason why we got in trouble, but Chane was nothing but trouble while he was here. I hope we never get someone remotely as troublesome, even if they are talented. Chane is ranked down with Bender on my least favorite Cardinals list.

The assistant was the reason why we got in trouble, but Chane was nothing but trouble while he was here. I hope we never get someone remotely as troublesome, even if they are talented. Chane is ranked down with Bender on my least favorite Cardinals list.
And again, that was the one 5-star kid on the team. I'm also not a big believer in coincidences...

And again, that was the one 5-star kid on the team. I'm also not a big believer in coincidences...

VJ King has been absolutely nothing but character and he's a 5* multi-year player like Chane. Goes both ways.

Let's get back to what this thread was about. So Courtney's flight was actually scheduled for today. They didn't know. Doesn't change the chances of landing him. As I understand, the player or family doesn't make the flight plans.

They ARE trying to reschedule meeting in person. However, the Quiet Period starts tomorrow. The ONLY way to contact the player NOT face-to-face is by Phone or Mail. The ONLY way to contact the player where they ARE face-to-face is by an Unofficial or an Official visit. Something WILL happen.

Let's get back to what this thread was about. So Courtney's flight was actually scheduled for today. They didn't know. Doesn't change the chances of landing him. As I understand, the player or family doesn't make the flight plans.

They ARE trying to reschedule meeting in person. However, the Quiet Period starts tomorrow. The ONLY way to contact the player NOT face-to-face is by Phone or Mail. The ONLY way to contact the player where they ARE face-to-face is by an Unofficial or an Official visit. Something WILL happen.

So his family wasn’t returning phone calls and then suddenly that changes when Mack says UofL is out. And now he mysteriously flies out in the morning when an in-home was already scheduled. Something doesn’t seem right.

So his family wasn’t returning phone calls and then suddenly that changes when Mack says UofL is out. And now he mysteriously flies out in the morning when an in-home was already scheduled. Something doesn’t seem right.

Not true. Mack called him the day he was hired and Mack didn't feel like Louisville had a chance, thus him saying that at the presser. Then, the Ramey's contacted the day after that presser and they've talked since. That's all it was. Mack and Co. didn't think we had a chance. Now we do, a good chance. It was a honest mistake with the flight situation. However, I'm sure we'll hear about an OV/UV soon.

And as we understand, Chane is a reason that banner is not presently hanging in the rafters... Kinda underscores my point about recruiting them.

And Chane is a reason there ever was a banner, which kinda underscores the importance of having a top shelf player or two.

Last edited:
And Chane is a reason there ever was a banner, which kinda underscores the importance of having a top shelf player or two.
So you're OK with going through the process we went and are still going through?

I'll argue all day long that it was Pitino's recruiting of five-star kids that put us into most of this mess, along with an element of our fanbase thinking that was the right thing to do. Nothing worse than NOT learning from your mistakes...

VJ King has been absolutely nothing but character and he's a 5* multi-year player like Chane...
And VJ would probably be, at best, a role player on a championship caliber team.

Some of you guys think you can eat an onion without the after-effects. Good luck with that. And VJ ain't no onion...

So you're OK with going through the process we went and are still going through?

I'll argue all day long that it was Pitino's recruiting of five-star kids that put us into most of this mess, along with an element of our fanbase thinking that was the right thing to do. Nothing worse than NOT learning from your mistakes...

Zipp I'm not on a crusade for 5 star players.

I'm just saying it "appears" winning titles is correlated to having at least one top shelf player coming out of HS on the roster contributing.

Of course there are other things to consider.

I don't think going to the extreme either way with recruiting would be effective.

Andre McGee got the mess started, and he wasn't a 5 star.

I thought you were jk. You're basing an argument on 30 being different from 29? Seriously?...

I just said you were wrong - because you were.

Shake it off. There's not a 30 count of 5 stars in a single class for the last ten years.

You exaggerated. I thought you were big on facts and would thank me for setting the record straight there.

It's not personal, because I don't have a dog in the fight, just contributing facts to the thread.

I just said you were wrong - because you were.

Shake it off. There's not a 30 count of 5 stars in a single class for the last ten years.

You exaggerated. I thought you were big on facts and would thank me for setting the record straight there.

It's not personal, because I don't have a dog in the fight, just contributing facts to the thread.
Well that's just trying to right about something--you're better than that.

A 3% "error" doesn't in any way change the point I was making. Five-star kids are on many teams in college basketball. By my math, 25 teams over the last two years, and I haven't updated my file for commitments in the last week.

Of course those kids are typically on championship teams...

Well that's just trying to right about something--you're better than that.

A 3% "error" doesn't in any way change the point I was making. Five-star kids are on many teams in college basketball. By my math, 25 teams over the last two years, and I haven't updated my file for commitments in the last week.

Of course those kids are typically on championship teams...

The avg 5 star count the last ten years is 26.2.

Your point is fine sort of.

It's just a little on the extreme, and asking who is clean is kind of impossible to answer. Nobody knows who's going about business the right way.

Just one guy's take.

Sorry for derailing your thread - what position do you think the Cards are in to land Courtney?

Louisville? Can't remember if Siva was a 5 star, but he was highly regarded.

5 Stars can also turn out to be VJ King.
Last 10 years (including 2008) Jennings, Samuels, Behanan, and King are the only rivals 5 star recruits for the Cards. That's 4 players in 10 years. Siva was a 4 star. We've had a ton of 4 star recruits over the past 10 years.

UofK has had 38 five star recruits since 2008. Thirty-Eight

And how many NC have they had? Lol

Reactions: zipp
And how many NC have they had? Lol
Officially? One more than we've had. I'm not ragging on them for that. I'm ragging on them for signing so many and then thinking they're not paying them. How on earth can they not be paying them in some fashion? Not directly because Calipari is smarter than that, but they're getting paid. I have zero doubts about that.

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT