ADVERTISEMENT

Convinced Petrino

Not a prediction (of the past?). Only an answer to your question.
I'd argue most of the bad press you're hypothesizing about was brought on ourselves after the fact. Circling the wagons would have likely gotten U of L past most of the garbage that resulted. But that would have protected people clowns didn't want protected. So you got the results you didn't want as far as national perception. Too bad...

I'd argue most of the bad press you're hypothesizing about was brought on ourselves after the fact. Circling the wagons would have likely gotten U of L past most of the garbage that resulted. But that would have protected people clowns didn't want protected. So you got the results you didn't want as far as national perception. Too bad...

I think your opinion on this is clearly misguided.

I think your opinion on this is clearly misguided.
It's at least grounded in what has happened just about every place else. That is, not much.

What's yours grounded in?

saint-vince.jpg

I like where the bad press got us in the end. An AD to be proud of and a football, basketball and baseball coach that my kids can look up to as role models. I'll take it

Bottom line here is that, if you want to withhold payment under the terns of his contract from Petrino, you had to have a reason to do so. He didn’t commit any NCAA violations, and he didn’t break any morals clauses. He showed up to work every day and did his job until the day he was fired. He lost 8 games last year, the last 5 in record breaking fashion. But even at that, the records that were broken were on the defensive side of the ball. He’s an offensive minded coach, and no one in their right mind would expect him to be micromanaging the defense.

Until someone actually presents credible evidence that he violated ANY terms of his contract, the idea that UofL should not be paying him is unsupportable.

I don’t live in the Louisville area anymore, sadly. Living in the northeast, I can tell you without question that this is not a “hypothesis” but a fact. UofL was crushed in New York, Boston, and all of the national media. It was even more deafening when Louisville dared to appeal. Greg Postel was mocked (not for the reasons we mocked him) for inexplicably trying to make a case against the NCAA’s decision. Overwhelmingly, we were considered to have gotten off with a slap on the wrist. Some advocated the shutting down of our whole athletic program. You guys have no idea how difficult it was being a ZuofL fan up here

This stuff has been hashed out repeatedly on here. You have led the league in pivots and deflections.
I already admitted that THIS site has a different interpretation of events than just about everyone/everywhere else.

Hell, in a conflicted sort of way, you see too many people here say that we should have denied and fought. So who made the decision NOT to?...

saint-vince.jpg

Bottom line here is that, if you want to withhold payment under the terns of his contract from Petrino, you had to have a reason to do so. He didn’t commit any NCAA violations, and he didn’t break any morals clauses. He showed up to work every day and did his job until the day he was fired. He lost 8 games last year, the last 5 in record breaking fashion. But even at that, the records that were broken were on the defensive side of the ball. He’s an offensive minded coach, and no one in their right mind would expect him to be micromanaging the defense.

Until someone actually presents credible evidence that he violated ANY terms of his contract, the idea that UofL should not be paying him is unsupportable.
I know what I've read here and by whom. So I challenge you to start a thread on this very question. And I'll even suggest a title...

"Should U of L continue paying the remaining two years ($8+ million) left on Petrino's buyout?"

I'd like it worded that way so people understand that most of that money still sits in a U of L bank account.

Go for it...

I don’t live in the Louisville area anymore, sadly. Living in the northeast, I can tell you without question that this is not a “hypothesis” but a fact. UofL was crushed in New York, Boston, and all of the national media. It was even more deafening when Louisville dared to appeal. Greg Postel was mocked (not for the reasons we mocked him) for inexplicably trying to make a case against the NCAA’s decision. Overwhelmingly, we were considered to have gotten off with a slap on the wrist. Some advocated the shutting down of our whole athletic program. You guys have no idea how difficult it was being a ZuofL fan up here
Again, you've lost track of your own arguments. You tried speculating on what WOULD have happened with Pitino and a second NCAA investigation. I'm not interested in that or your perspective on what's going on in your environs.

He was fired allegedly based on the results of ONE investigation, a matter that U of L cleared him for. And I showed you that evidence.

Stay on the subject...

I know what I've read here and by whom. So I challenge you to start a thread on this very question. And I'll even suggest a title...

"Should U of L continue paying the remaining two years ($8+ million) left on Petrino's buyout?"

I'd like it worded that way so people understand that most of that money still sits in a U of L bank account.

Go for it...

No thanks. It would be a rhetorical question, since there’s only one correct answer. Just as there was only one correct answer when Pitino was relieved of his head coaching duties. This AD got both actions correct.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
No thanks. It would be a rhetorical question, since there’s only one correct answer. Just as there was only one correct answer when Pitino was relieved of his head coaching duties. This AD got both actions correct.
Sure he did. And we know why.

saint-vince.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT