ADVERTISEMENT

Convinced Petrino

I completely agree. As soon as I starting hearing all the chatter about how far our program had fell, and lack of overall talent I screamed Petrino. Everyone from espn to so called college football experts to local and not so local fan bases ate up the whole UL will be a monumental rebuilding job smack. I tried to reason with whomever would listen. I stated actual facts, from recent recruiting classes to returning players to Petrino assistants who weren't even close to qualified enough to be on a power 5 coaching staff. All fell on deaf ears. Every time I read another preseason prediction of 2-3 wins I just smiled. I mean if people would have really looked at the details it was obvious. From assistants reporting that Petrino pretty much stopped recruiting to zero in game adjustments to the reality that Petrino didn't just forget how to coach one day. Think about. it. We went from a hiesman trophy winner leading a team to a #3 ranking after a dismantling of a top 5 Fla. St team which was the worst loss in the history of their program to a 2-10 campaign giving up 5 straight 50 + point totals breaking ncaa records for incompetence in 1 year. It just doesn't happen. Losing Lamar was the easiest scapegoat Petrino could have asked for. People actually believed that he was all we had.

It was pretty easy to see the players had no guidance from their coach. The talent has always been there.

It was all BP's fault, but I have never bought into the idea that it was intentional. The man's ever declining personality prevented him from being a strong leader with the ability to assemble a competent staff.

It was 1000% intentional. Once Jurich “retired,” he had zero supporters from the administration. What he did was cowardly, pathetic, unprofessional, but from a personal business perspective, it was smart. “I don’t do my job and get paid $14M? Ok.” You don’t go from an 8,9 wins per season coach to complete trash across the board by coincidence.

Last edited:
Threw in the towel last year to get his buyout. No other way around it now. It makes me realize also, what an actual piece of Sh he is .
I've gone back and forth on this. I started questioning things after the FSU game last year and soon came to believe that he didn't want to be here. My grandson spoke to several of the players after the Syracuse game who indicated to him that several of the coaches had basically checked out, that their fire was missing.

It cost the university a ton of money, but it was to our benefit. It's a shame the buyout wasn't negotiated downward for fraudulent behavior since he obviously tanked to get his buyout. JMO

What typed of man does that to 100 kids and his family and himself? A very poor excuse of a man. I know BP has history of not being a trustworthy man, but something just doesn't make sense when you take your entire family down with the ship. I think he lost his mind!!!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
So if all of this is true, why is "Vince" continuing to pay the guy? How is not doing your job not grounds for termination for cause?...

So if all of this is true, why is "Vince" continuing to pay the guy? How is not doing your job not grounds for termination for cause?...

Because poor performance is not grounds for termination with cause. It's precious that you don't understand how contracts work.

And, I agree with the OP. Petrino is a piece of sh*# on a level that most people can't even comprehend. Just a bad human being.

I really don’t believe he set out at the beginning of the season with the mind set to throw in the towel. It was a gradual decline starting the previous two seasons. We lost games we had no business losing. He had a weak staff around him and recruiting was becoming an issue (Position specific). After the FSU game last year when he blamed the team and called out players it was over. And all parties threw in the towel. And I’m sure the fact that TJ was gone added to it. Sure he made a killing, but I believe Petrino still wants to coach and by ending his time at UoL like he did that certainly doesn’t help his cause. Fact is he should have never been rehired and before anyone says anything I was for rehiring him but in hindsight that was a mistake. The fact no one wanted to work for him really made the task impossible. He was damaged goods and really is now.

Because going after him to collect on that $14 million is a waste of time, effort and money. You can have the OPINION that Petrino quit coaching on purpose in order to be fired and to collect his buyout, but it is impossible to prove. And it would be extremely easy for Petrino to show what he DID do each week until he was fired.

Having recently lost a parent, I’m convinced that the loss of his father affected him terribly. He should have taken leave. After we lost to FSU to go 0-2 in conference, his will was broken.

Because poor performance is not grounds for termination with cause. It's precious that you don't understand how contracts work...
I understand you can't sabotage your own contract and job performance. That's what's being widely alleged here.

It ain't simply "poor job performance" unless you're also trying to protect "Vince"...

Because going after him to collect on that $14 million is a waste of time, effort and money. You can have the OPINION that Petrino quit coaching on purpose in order to be fired and to collect his buyout, but it is impossible to prove. And it would be extremely easy for Petrino to show what he DID do each week until he was fired.

Having recently lost a parent, I’m convinced that the loss of his father affected him terribly. He should have taken leave. After we lost to FSU to go 0-2 in conference, his will was broken.
You ain't "going after him" for anything. You already have the money. He's coming after you.

Apologists wanna talk outta both sides of their mouths. It was Petrino's fault, and "Vince" is right to pay him. You can't reconcile that...

Because proving it is different from knowing it. Its been shown that poor performance doesn't get schools out of a buyout. Amazing levels of incompetence haven't got schools out of buyout so how do you prove that Petrino intentionally quit vs was just doing a poor job? Or do you still think that Petrino was wronged by Tyra and he should still be here losing games?

So, Vince should have kept CBP with his lackluster performance last year_ AD job to recommend hiring and firing, best decision made since TJ in his early years. He was the bomb! Tyra doing a great job, love him, gotta sign that guy to a long term contract with a huge raise!

This is about as good place to post what I learned from someone about this situation.

If some of you all can recall, apparently Mr. Patterson made it known that if we lost our baseball coach (let go) he would pursue getting back what he had given. There was also a lot talk about Coach Walz's tenure here too. None of which made any sense at the time.

Until you hear that new/temp administration wanted to get rid of the rest of the TJ hires. In other words, clean house of what was considered "bad hires".

So somewhere after the firing of Pitino and TJ's dismissal it was floated out that Petrino was next to go. It did not matter what he accomplished from that point forward. The writing was on the wall, he was gone.

His dad was gone and he was lost as to his situation. There was no one at the AD's office anymore to watch his back either.

Vince was put into a bad situation by some over zealous adims who literally crossed a boundary that they shouldn't of. It was also rumored that he wasn't going to get another dime out the University. So apparently he found a way to retain his money without going to court. Remember, Petrino was not on anyone's short list and TJ was often criticized openly about hiring him considering his recent past.

I left out some details due to time and length. Needless to say the situation got out of control fast and the program suffered.

I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing either given how the events played out either. When you stick your nose into someone's world to instigate change, most often you cause more harm than good.

This is about as good place to post what I learned from someone about this situation.

If some of you all can recall, apparently Mr. Patterson made it known that if we lost our baseball coach (let go) he would pursue getting back what he had given. There was also a lot talk about Coach Walz's tenure here too. None of which made any sense at the time.

Until you hear that new/temp administration wanted to get rid of the rest of the TJ hires. In other words, clean house of what was considered "bad hires".

So somewhere after the firing of Pitino and TJ's dismissal it was floated out that Petrino was next to go. It did not matter what he accomplished from that point forward. The writing was on the wall, he was gone.

His dad was gone and he was lost as to his situation. There was no one at the AD's office anymore to watch his back either.

Vince was put into a bad situation by some over zealous adims who literally crossed a boundary that they shouldn't of. It was also rumored that he wasn't going to get another dime out the University. So apparently he found a way to retain his money without going to court. Remember, Petrino was not on anyone's short list and TJ was often criticized openly about hiring him considering his recent past.

I left out some details due to time and length. Needless to say the situation got out of control fast and the program suffered.

I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing either given how the events played out either. When you stick your nose into someone's world to instigate change, most often you cause more harm than good.

Thats an excuse for Petrino. Even if its true that the admin wanted to get rid of every single Petrino hire they haven’t done so. Walz and Mcdonnell got extensions. Had Petrino kept winning and kept his nose clean he was untouchable. If he had won and the school fired him he’d still get his buyout and he’d have job offers somewhere. It doesnt even make sense that Petrino would not have gotten his buyout if we won games and got fired.

You ain't "going after him" for anything. You already have the money. He's coming after you.

Apologists wanna talk outta both sides of their mouths. It was Petrino's fault, and "Vince" is right to pay him. You can't reconcile that...
Absolutely - that makes a ton of sense. Refuse to pay his contract - without a legal leg to stand on mind you and make him come after the university in court. I mean what’s a little more negative national publicity - amirite?

Then you can add legal fees - possibly Petrino’s in addition to UofL’s - on top of the money he’s legally owed from the really bad contract given to him by TJ.

Then all of those former regime apologists would talk giddily about how bad Tyra is at his job and how he should have just paid the guy.

Reconcile that.

No AD in their right mind would stop writing checks for a coach who was fired for losing too many football games. No head football coach’s contract is written with that as a “for cause” firing, and no potential head coach would ever sign such a contract. I’d hate to see the quality of head coach you’d be able to hire after refusing to honor a previous head coach’s contract.

Last year was Petrino’s fault AND Tyra is right to pay him per the terms of the contract. Both of those statements are true, and they do not require any reconciliation.

Except Petrino could have put his head down and gone about his business in a professional manner. Coaches don’t typically get fired when they are running clean programs and winning - I don’t give a shit what sort of hard on grissom had for Petrino. Petrino’s problem is that he lacks grit / honor and, is a quitter. He quit in ATL, he quit on his wife and he quit on his team last year. He simply does not have what it takes to work through adversity. Future employers should heed the past. If only TJ would have.

Petrino’s problem is that he lacks grit / honor and, is a quitter. He quit in ATL, he quit on his wife and he quit on his team last year. He simply does not have what it takes to work through adversity.

I completely agree on the adversity thing. When things are going well, he is winning games 60 to 10, bending over hot volleyball chicks left and right, riding his Harley anywhere he wants, all is well in the world. But when things fall apart, they fall apart quickly and he checks out. Is the only way I can make sense of what happened last year

Because proving it is different from knowing it. Its been shown that poor performance doesn't get schools out of a buyout. Amazing levels of incompetence haven't got schools out of buyout so how do you prove that Petrino intentionally quit vs was just doing a poor job? Or do you still think that Petrino was wronged by Tyra and he should still be here losing games?
One piece of evidence I hear widely quoted as fact is that Petrino stopped recruiting and planning with his coaching staff. Stopped having meetings. With $14 million at stake, I think I could have done some homework to dig up a few other examples.

Would that allow U of L to escape completely?...Maybe not. But it sure as hell would serve as the basis for a negotiation process with NO MONEY as U of L's starting position. A point right in the middle would have been $7 million.

But no, "Vince" gave Petrino ALL of his money.
...It doesnt even make sense that Petrino would not have gotten his buyout if we won games and got fired.
What doesn't make sense is that some contracts are honored to the letter or to points that hard to explain (Petrino and Pizza Guy.)

While others are ignored as if they didn't exist (Pitino and Jurich).

Impulsive, erratic, inexplicable clowns...

Last edited:
Absolutely - that makes a ton of sense. Refuse to pay his contract - without a legal leg to stand on mind you and make him come after the university in court. I mean what’s a little more negative national publicity - amirite?

Then you can add legal fees - possibly Petrino’s in addition to UofL’s - on top of the money he’s legally owed from the really bad contract given to him by TJ.

Then all of those former regime apologists would talk giddily about how bad Tyra is at his job and how he should have just paid the guy.

Reconcile that.
Were clowns concerned about bad publicity when they refused to pay Pitino and Jurich? How much good publicity came our way when they did a 180 on Jurich?

And is an organization pursuing Ramsey with an ill-fated suit concerned about legal fees as well? I guess they also thought Pitino would easily cave two years ago.

None if that ish hangs together except in the minds of apologists...

How can anyone defend petrinos performance and conduct after last year. The players have spoken and he was a pos.
All the more indefensible to be paying the guy 100% of his buyout as "Vince" is doing...

It all comes back to Vince NQ. Always.
Not my fault the guy is in the middle of most of the adverse garbage that comes U of L's way. I guess he should have followed your advice about being a short-timer...

One piece of evidence I hear widely quoted as fact is that Petrino stopped recruiting and planning with his coaching staff. Stopped having meetings. With $14 million at stake, I think I could have done some homework to dig up a few other examples.

Would that allow U of L to escape completely?...Maybe not. But it sure as hell would serve as the basis for a negotiation process with NO MONEY as U of L's starting position. A point right in the middle would have been $7 million.

What doesn't make sense is that some contracts are honored to the letter or to points that hard to explain (Petrino and Pizza Guy.)

All contracts should be honored. You beat up a lot on Vince NQ, but he wasn’t involved in the Pitino and Jurich situations. He has been consistent. All but one of the people who screwed up those two firings are gone.

All contracts should be honored. You beat up a lot on Vince NQ, but he wasn’t involved in the Pitino and Jurich situations. He has been consistent. All but one of the people who screwed up those two firings are gone.
IIRC "Vince" was given undue credit when Pitino decided to fold his tent. Why didn't "Vince" walk into the negotiating room and say simply that "I'm honoring your contract" since that's the right thing to do?

Did "Vince" express any remorse that Pitino was leaving with nothing? I'm forgetting that.

"Vince" is a clown who was maybe 15 minutes last to the party...

It will be nice when Jurich, Petino, and Petrino all are reunited at Finlandia University. Then maybe zipp will leave The uofl alone.

Reactions: BPGhost
IIRC "Vince" was given undue credit when Pitino decided to fold his tent. Why didn't "Vince" walk into the negotiating room and say simply that "I'm honoring your contract" since that's the right thing to do?

Did "Vince" express any remorse that Pitino was leaving with nothing? I'm forgetting that.

Of all of the terrible takes you’ve had - “Pitino as the victim” might be the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsFirst
I feel like football last year was a nightmare I've slowly woken up from this season. I'm just happy we now have a hard-nosed, competitive team that works hard on every play.

I'm excited for the future.

I hope we look back on last year as a crazy anomaly and get back to where we can compete with the top teams in our league every year, with hopes of a New Years Day Bowl and dreams of the Playoff once in a while.

I’m certainly not in favor of a suit against Ramsey but it’s interesting that you’re advocating legal action by withholding Petrino’s buyout but decrying it when it comes to Ramsey’s situation? As far as I know, there wasn’t any federal investigation into why Petrino’s tenure - not so much with Ramsey.

Just curious - is there any situation that you support the university’s position on?
I'm not insisting on anything except consistency and explanations that hang together. There's an overused legal expression--"arbitrary and capricious". That defines the clowns almost perfectly.

If you wanna talk about other issues, positions, and decisions, that's fodder for a new thread...

All of that was rumor and hearsay. I think petrino quit but good luck proving tanking vs incompetence. By the time we settle, we pay Petrino part of his contract at best and the rest goes to lawyer fees. The problem wasn't obeying the contract, it was making one with that idiotic buyout for someone with Petrino's options in the 1st place. Petrino got fired for losing which unfortunately doesn't mean its with cause.

Tyra didn't fire Jurich or Pitino. The debate for the Pitino contract was about a 10 day notice and whether he could be fired for cause. I know you were trying to argue the meaning of the word "the" during that time but there was atleast an argument that could be made that the ncaa violations meant he could be fired with cause.

Reactions: sword9mm
Not my fault the guy is in the middle of most of the adverse garbage that comes U of L's way. I guess he should have followed your advice about being a short-timer...

I certainly didn’t give Vince NQ credit for the Pitino surrender. I don’t recall anyone giving him credit. That was the ULAA more than anyone.

Because poor performance is not grounds for termination with cause. It's precious that you don't understand how contracts work.

And, I agree with the OP. Petrino is a piece of sh*# on a level that most people can't even comprehend. Just a bad human being.

Petrino had too many years experience and had proven his vast knowledge on roster management. For our roster to have 17 WR's and 8 OL's screams loudly he trashed it on purpose. IMHO. Zipp, for a highly intelligent man, gets stupid when talking about Vince. I'm guessing he was beaten up by Vince in childhood or Vince stole his girlfriend from him.

What typed of man does that to 100 kids and his family and himself? A very poor excuse of a man. I know BP has history of not being a trustworthy man, but something just doesn't make sense when you take your entire family down with the ship. I think he lost his mind!!!!!
you pick up a snake and it bites you, who do you blame,

Reactions: PHCARD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT