ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment

I agree about FSU and you can say the same about Va Tech and Virginia. They should start winning at a high level before getting so high and mighty.

FSU hasn't proven anything in football in quite some time, and they don't travel well to bowl games.
Why are they so highly thought of? Is it because they're in Fla and have a high student enrollment??

None of this has to do with wins and losses. It all has to do with tv revenue and slimy university presidents. The cold truth is that FSU moves the needle when it comes to eyeballs. Also the big 10 especially is wanting to move into areas that are experiencing population growth. UNC, UVA and FSU all meet that criteria and open up new markets for them. Also the Big 10 presidents like the academic prestige of UVA/UNC.

None of this has to do with wins and losses. It all has to do with tv revenue and slimy university presidents. The cold truth is that FSU moves the needle when it comes to eyeballs. Also the big 10 especially is wanting to move into areas that are experiencing population growth. UNC, UVA and FSU all meet that criteria and open up new markets for them. Also the Big 10 presidents like the academic prestige of UVA/UNC.
Money from a new TV market, always the answer.

All three schools are being discussed because they will take a smaller share and open a new TV markets. Academically they all fit the ACC. The only way they approve the additions is the existing schools get additional revenue. It won’t be enough significantly tighten the gap but may push them solidly ahead of the Big 12.

The ACC wasn’t going to outbid the Big Ten and SEC. Whomever those 2 wanted they were going to get. Now when the Big 12 was hanging in the wind was the time to get someone but none of those schools fit the ACC academically. Doubt they would have moved at a discount until they understood their TV deal. Same reason the Big Ten didn’t go after any of them.

Keep in mind the more teams in a conference the more seats at the table. This will also help in the event others leave. I think 16-18 is the number in each conference.

All three schools are being discussed because they will take a smaller share and open a new TV markets. Academically they all fit the ACC. The only way they approve the additions is the existing schools get additional revenue. It won’t be enough significantly tighten the gap but may push them solidly ahead of the Big 12.

The ACC wasn’t going to outbid the Big Ten and SEC. Whomever those 2 wanted they were going to get. Now when the Big 12 was hanging in the wind was the time to get someone but none of those schools fit the ACC academically. Doubt they would have moved at a discount until they understood their TV deal. Same reason the Big Ten didn’t go after any of them.

Keep in mind the more teams in a conference the more seats at the table. This will also help in the event others leave. I think 16-18 is the number in each conference.
You realize the UofL doesn’t fit the ACC academically, right?

I do but athletically at the time they were a good additional plus it was one of the top revenue schools.

I think it was more about who they could add that added significant value in TV dollars. Those weren’t out there. The only 2 that would have moved the needle was Texas and Oklahoma. ESPN wanted them in SEC.

How do you get enough votes to expand when half the league is actively looking to leave? More teams end up muddying the water if the GOR can’t be broken.

Actually Kansas, Iowa State and Cincinnati fit the ACC perfectly in terms of academics, they just didn't have any interest in joining the ACC.

Kansas, Iowa State, Cincinnati and Louisville are all in the same neighborhood academically.

Kansas, Iowa State, Cincinnati and Louisville are all in the same neighborhood academically.
Kansas is actually an excellent university and I think would be acceptable to the B1G. Louisville is the laggard of that group, though it’s better than its reputation. UC and ISU are about on par.

. It would have been great for the ACC to have swallowed the B12 when it was initially destabilized -can you imagine the ACC adding Kansas, K State, Oklahoma State, Cinci, WVU, TCU, Baylor, and Iowa State? Alas, the relatively low media rights deal without legitimate renegotiation made such a move completely impossible.

Obviously college academic rankings depends on who is doing the rankings and what criteria they use. Cincinnati is ranked #151 in one ranking and Times Higher Education has them ranked between #251-300. Then we have UNC ranked high but then they had fake classes for all their athletes for 30 years.
What criteria are they using to base their rankings on? Is it how many students have a high GPA? Is it based on how many professors have a PhD? Urban schools have a higher enrollment of inner city students who tend to have lower GPA’s. I went to the University of Maryland and they had a high number of Professors that had PhD’s. The problem was they never came to class to teach they had their student aids teach the class so they could write a book.
However, please remember we aren’t talking academics we are talking sports and money. If this was about academics then Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. could form a super conference that nobody could financially match.

Obviously college academic rankings depends on who is doing the rankings and what criteria they use. Cincinnati is ranked #151 in one ranking and Times Higher Education has them ranked between #251-300. Then we have UNC ranked high but then they had fake classes for all their athletes for 30 years.
What criteria are they using to base their rankings on? Is it how many students have a high GPA? Is it based on how many professors have a PhD? Urban schools have a higher enrollment of inner city students who tend to have lower GPA’s. I went to the University of Maryland and they had a high number of Professors that had PhD’s. The problem was they never came to class to teach they had their student aids teach the class so they could write a book.
However, please remember we aren’t talking academics we are talking sports and money. If this was about academics then Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. could form a super conference that nobody could financially match.
AAU rankings are mostly based on academic research.

They already do. It’s called the Ivy League

TV revenue is based on athletic performance no academics. Ivy League schools make very little money on TV contracts.

TV revenue is based on athletic performance no academics. Ivy League schools make very little money on TV contracts.
My comment was tongue in cheek referring to the Ivy League as a super conference based on academics. But if you want to talk money, those guys could runs small countries with their endowments.

Reactions: Wildcat40229
Presidents make the ultimate call on who they add. Academics are a factor that is the only reason Stanford and Cal are even being discussed. They want-prefer similar Universities.

The final decision today is the dollars.

Actually Kansas, Iowa State and Cincinnati fit the ACC perfectly in terms of academics, they just didn't have any interest in joining the ACC.
Lol Cincy would have accepted an invite to the ACC in a New York minute. However, now their locked into the Big 12, because the Big 12 was the only conference that came calling. The other two I have no clue.

Lol Cincy would have accepted an invite to the ACC in a New York minute. However, now they’re locked into the Big 12, because the Big 12 was the only conference that came calling. The other two I have no clue.

Given the current situation, my sense is that Cincinnati fans are grateful for where they are. There might be a few ACC holdouts, but they would be in the extreme minority.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT