ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Things are happening. ACC is very shaky as 7 teams are exploring getting out of GOR.

Big 12 is lurking for UofL (and Pitt, NC State and VT). The Big12 was on its deathbed but their commissioner is very aggressive. Those four schools are the most desirable after B1G and SEC poach Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and UVA.

Reactions: pablosplace
Things are happening. ACC is very shaky as 7 teams are exploring getting out of GOR.

Big 12 is lurking for UofL (and Pitt, NC State and VT). The Big12 was on its deathbed but their commissioner is very aggressive. Those four schools are the most desirable after B1G and SEC poach Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and UVA.
This could be very interesting. The Big 12 is going to have to do something once OU and Texas leave for the SEC.If the so-called “magnificent 7” do leave the ACC the Big 12 and what is left of the ACC will have to combine to survive. This unfortunately is par for the course for us Cards fans. It seems like every time we go to a new conference and before we can get something good established, the other teams in said conference start bailing.

With NIL, the portal, never ending reviews, and constant realignment, what's not to love about college athletics?

S*** is exhausting.
I was going to post something lengthier but similar. College football is still my favorite sport but interest continues to slide with each passing year and development. And please stop asking me to make donations to support players who are often making more than I do.

Things are happening. ACC not gonna make it.
Not so sure. It depends on who/how many the $EC is successful in poaching. Like you, I fear the worst. If it is a shotgun marriage between the remnants of the ACC with the Big 12, the Big 12 will be an amalgamation of them and two conferences they long ridiculed - the "Texas Conference (SWC)" and the Missouri Valley Conference. Strange bedfellows indeed!

It’s funny to me when people start talking about Louisville doesn’t draw enough viewers to be a viable addition to a conference. Everybody always talked about how adding Rutgers to the B1G would give the conference a bigger TV market. I have relatives all over New York and New Jersey and none of them watch Rutgers in anything.
I don’t know if we would ever get into the B1G but whenever conference realignment kicks up I always scan other team sites. Before we got in the ACC there were a lot of B1G fans that had positive opinions about Louisville to their conference. I would hate to see the ACC break up but if it does I hope we land somewhere good and not in the Big 12.

We may end up in a reconstituted BE with Pitt, Syracuse, BC and a few others. They would have to come up with a new name, since Big East is being used by someone else. Hopefully the ACC hangs together.

We may end up in a reconstituted BE with Pitt, Syracuse, BC and a few others. They would have to come up with a new name, since Big East is being used by someone else. Hopefully the ACC hangs together.
For a name...how about the LittleASeeSee? Yea, I know, not too funny is it? Or the former AAC....or? Does anybody really care anymore?

There are still some obstacles for this to happen and not only GOR. The politicians in North Carolina and Virginia have both said that one can’t leave without taking the other. If you take UNC you have to take the other North Carolina schools, the same with Va Tech and Virginia. If football drives the bus how could Va Tech and Virginia or even UNC be considered movers and shakers?
Please don’t come back with the argument about academics because supposedly this has nothing to do with academics. It is so funny when people say this is about football no any other sport. Then they try to throw in the claim that we don’t have the academics to get invited.

I went to the University of Maryland my freshmen year so I have a lot of friends up there. I also have cousins, Aunts and Uncles in Maryland and a lot of them are still upset Maryland left the ACC. I travel all over the country for work and I never have a problem catching Louisville games wherever I go.
One thing I noticed is I never see Maryland or Rutgers sporting events anywhere I go. Louisville is a bigger national draw than those schools and a lot of other schools in the SEC or B1G. Half the SEC teams and the B1G teams don’t draw eyeballs outside their region some don’t draw outside their state.

I agree with you on that point but the point is they don’t attract viewers.

I’ll put it this way. At the time, they were able to convince the Big 10 that having them in the conference would enable the Big 10 Network to add providers and subscribers in the highest populated area of the country.

Unfortunately at this point the Big 10 is taking in so much money that there are very few schools that could increase their pie enough to offset feeding another mouth.

I’ll put it this way. At the time, they were able to convince the Big 10 that having them in the conference would enable the Big 10 Network to add providers and subscribers in the highest populated area of the country.

Unfortunately at this point the Big 10 is taking in so much money that there are very few schools that could increase their pie enough to offset feeding another mouth.
I think the only school that could meet that standard is Notre Dame.

However, in my opinion there’s another goal for both the Big 10 and SEC: Decimate the other Power 5 conferences to the point that whatever remains is at the level of the AAC, Conference USA, WAC, MWAC and MAC. I think they will poach teams to achieve that goal at the expense of short-term per school revenues. Long-term the networks will pay all the money they currently pay to the ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 to the Big 10 and SEC.

I think the only school that could meet that standard is Notre Dame.

However, in my opinion there’s another goal for both the Big 10 and SEC: Decimate the other Power 5 conferences to the point that whatever remains is at the level of the AAC, Conference USA, WAC, MWAC and MAC. I think they will poach teams to achieve that goal at the expense of short-term per school revenues. Long-term the networks will pay all the money they currently pay to the ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 to the Big 10 and SEC.

A good take on the situation. I think the Big 10 also sees the population growth in the south and sees this as the opportunity to gain a foothold in growing areas (North Carolina, Florida). Unfortunately this won’t end well for UofL nor the average college sports fan.

The ACC is probably stuck because I am not sure they can add teams without jeopardizing the GOR. I would add UCONN and try to get WVU. Both bring value in multiple sports men’s and women’s. Maybe even go get Army or Navy.

I really don’t think the SEC has any interest in Clemson or FSU. I think they would want NC and Virginia because they bring in new markets.

The other factor is the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point. The SEC is fighting to stick to 8 games. They go to 9 it will be a blood bath. Parity will kick in. Going undefeated will be even more difficult. I think 2 losses will become the norm for the league champion. Eventually the UK, USC, Missouri, Miss St, and Miss will be consistently in the lower half of the conference. 6-6 will be common for them. That will impact recruiting.

To me Louisville is in a great spot to become a consistent contender in the ACC which will improve their recruiting. We saw it in the Big East and AAC.

Last edited:
The ACC is probably stuck because I am not sure they can add teams without jeopardizing the GOR. I would add UCONN and try to get WVU. Both bring value in multiple sports men’s and women’s. Maybe even go get Army or Navy.

I really don’t think the SEC has any interest in Clemson or FSU. I think they would want NC and Virginia because they bring in new markets.

The other factor is the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point. The SEC is fighting to stick to 8 games. They go to 9 it will be a blood bath. Parody will kick in. Going undefeated will be even more difficult. I think 2 losses will become the norm for the league champion. Eventually the UK, USC, Missouri, Miss St, and Miss will be consistently in the lower half of the conference. 6-6 will be common for them. That will impact recruiting.

To me Louisville is in a great spot to become a consistent contender in the ACC which will improve their recruiting. We saw it in the Big East and AAC.
I think you meant “parity” but I kind of like “parody” there, too.

Greg Swaim inserting himself back in the Realignment narrative. Says Louisville just became the 8th team to fight the GOR.

Wow. The ACC saved Louisville from conference battles with Tulane, Tulsa, and Memphis. To thank the ACC for that, Louisville gets a title removed and tries to break up the ACC. I know business knows no loyalty but holy cow man.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT