ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment

Colorado to the Big 12. UConn up next.

ACC should go after Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal. Kick out Notre Dame.

Has there been any team that has made a conference jump that is better off competitively? It is hard to find one that sustained success. Look at Big East Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers and even Louisville haven’t reach anywhere near the success they had in the Big East. Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Missouri all struggle in the SEC. Nebraska-Maryland is are nowhere near the level they were before the Big 10 move. Do we really think Texas and Oklahoma are going to be at the top of SEC?

TV money isn’t going to keep growing, it will probably flatten out. ESPN is struggling. If TV revenues flatten out they the value of adding teams is greatly diminished. I think that will slow down the realignment movement over the next 2-5 years.

I think the ACC and PAC 12 need to join forces. Expand the ACC network out west. Then start scheduling games between the two conference. Maybe even have a conference championship between the 2 winners in Vegas-Charlotte alternating.

Has there been any team that has made a conference jump that is better off competitively? It is hard to find one that sustained success. Look at Big East Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers and even Louisville haven’t reach anywhere near the success they had in the Big East. Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Missouri all struggle in the SEC. Nebraska-Maryland is are nowhere near the level they were before the Big 10 move. Do we really think Texas and Oklahoma are going to be at the top of SEC?

TV money isn’t going to keep growing, it will probably flatten out. ESPN is struggling. If TV revenues flatten out they the value of adding teams is greatly diminished. I think that will slow down the realignment movement over the next 2-5 years.

I think the ACC and PAC 12 need to join forces. Expand the ACC network out west. Then start scheduling games between the two conference. Maybe even have a conference championship between the 2 winners in Vegas-Charlotte alternating.
You seem to argue against yourself. First anti expansion and then that the ACC should expand. I agree, though that this all goes the other way soon. Of the movers listed only Pitt has done fairly well in the ACC. But the it’s not about winning…..

I doubt the ACC will expand and don’t think they should. They just need to get better as league.

The PAC 12 thought is more of a TV marketing agreement and scheduling idea not adding to ACC which isn’t going to happen.

I doubt the ACC will expand and don’t think they should. They just need to get better as league.

The PAC 12 thought is more of a TV marketing agreement and scheduling idea not adding to ACC which isn’t going to happen.

ACC is deadman walking unless they close the gap in revenue. Right now Big 12 and ACC are vying for #3. Grant of Rights allows things to limp along without defections but it’s delaying the inevitable.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Arizona now leaving PAC for Big 12. And it looks like ASU and Utah to follow. A year ago it looked like the Big 12 was toast.

Right now all the financial problems ESPN is having they look like deadman walking. These conferences better hope they get their money that was promised.

The ACC is dying. FSU will be out in next 12 months and presumably UNC and Clemson will as well. I hope Heird has already contacted Big 12 and I hope Brohm and Payne get it done in their respective sports.

Reactions: Sound.Slave
Right now all the financial problems ESPN is having they look like deadman walking. These conferences better hope they get their money that was promised.
At some point the money train comes to a stop. College football viewership is not increasing. It isn’t like the NFL. The fanbases are more spread out. As the current TV deals end there are no signs they will be higher. Indications are they will be less. Add in streaming services viewership gets more fragmented.

The only brand that moves the needle is Norte Dame. They aren’t moving and I don’t blame them.

The ACC committed suicide. Instead of focusing on improving all its programs it tried to protect a few.

We can go ahead and write the obituary of the PAC 12. Arizona, ASU and likely Utah all gone. Oregon and Wash going to Big 10. ACC is run by a goddamned idiot and will be the next to fall.

I don’t blame the commissioner I blame the long term members of the ACC. They direct him giving him the marching orders. The GOR rights was agreed to by everyone. That locked or handcuffed them from being super aggressive. The money wasn’t there to bring in Texas or Oklahoma. ESPN controlled that move. Why bring in anyone if it has the potential of opening the flood gates. I am not sure who they could have added that would have added real $$ value.

Now if the GOR isn’t impacted by adding teams they messed up. I would have brought Cincy, WVU, Memphis Kansas, OSU and UConn as all this was all shifting last year.

No move was going to close the gap between ACC and Big Ten/SEC. Which means they will always be ripe for poaching. That is why I would added teams last year if possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
My understanding is that adding teams did not invalidate the GOR. Big 12 could’ve been taken behind the woodshed but ACC lacked foresight. I would’ve added Baylor, TCU, WVU and Ok State.

Do you all think Louisville wants to stay in ACC or try to look to leave? (like FSU is publicly)

We are screwed this time around. I see the Big 12 maybe going to 20. That leaves 4 slots and since we’re tied to a sinking ship the ACC I just don’t see a landing spot.

We are screwed this time around. I see the Big 12 maybe going to 20. That leaves 4 slots and since we’re tied to a sinking ship the ACC I just don’t see a landing spot.

Wvu fan here

Would be happy to see the big 12 add pitt, vt, louisville and nc state to get to 20.

Assuming fsu, clemson, unc, gt, uva, duke all go sec or big ten.

Bc, wake and cuse are screwed.

Reactions: Bronco-eer
Wvu fan here

Would be happy to see the big 12 add pitt, vt, louisville and nc state to get to 20.

Duke will be in Big East with Wake, Cuse, BC and UConn

Jim Phillips is a short sighted clown. He should be fired. His dereliction of duty at Northwestern should be grounds for dismissal aside from his egregious lack of foresight regarding conference situation. He could’ve killed the Big 12 and PAC 12 instead he sat on his hands. Now the ACC is in imperil and the Big 12 is the hunter. SAD!

Wvu fan here

Hopefully that can happen because I just don’t see another move. Gotta be honest I enjoyed are time in the Big East far more than the ACC. Both FB and BB.

I like the ACC regionally it is a good fit for us. I don’t see how ESPN can keep dishing out the money from the looks of it they are in financial trouble.

Reactions: CardsFirst
The ACC is dying. FSU will be out in next 12 months and presumably UNC and Clemson will as well. I hope Heird has already contacted Big 12 and I hope Brohm and Payne get it done in their respective sports.
I agree. A Big 12 spot is the best Louisville can hope for(and I like our chances). My dream scenario.... Big 12 adds Louisville and Miami... plus two more whatever teams. Cards are in a Eastern Pod with Cincy, WVU, Miami, and UCF. Louisville plays against all 4 teams every year. I like that more than any ACC schedule Louisville has ever had.

Last edited:
I doubt UofL and any team will leave the ACC. If the ACC wants to stay as a top conference they have to add some quality schools. Or it's the end of the ACC.

The ACC met this past week looking to add 5-7 Pac 12 schools, but Oregon and Washington went to the Big 10, along with the other 3 that went to the Big 12. Now there will likely be no more westward expansion. According to an article on Yahoo. Also, according to this article, Florida State is asking for a redistribution of income. They think they and Clemson deserve a bigger piece of revenue than other schools within the conference.

The ACC met this past week looking to add 5-7 Pac 12 schools, but Oregon and Washington went to the Big 10, along with the other 3 that went to the Big 12. Now there will likely be no more westward expansion. According to an article on Yahoo. Also, according to this article, Florida State is asking for a redistribution of income. They think they and Clemson deserve a bigger piece of revenue than other schools within the conference.
I have no problem with reward for performance. But they shouldn’t get a bigger cut just because they are FSU or Clemson. Let the distribution be based on winning, not on name.

I doubt UofL and any team will leave the ACC. If the ACC wants to stay as a top conference they have to add some quality schools. Or it's the end of the ACC.

Who would the ACC add at this point? Tulane, SMU, USF? Stanford, Cal? They sat on their Tobacco Road ass and let the Big 12 do all the wheeling and dealing. It’s incredible that the ACC is paying this commissioner as he’s unable to have any foresight.

I agree. Name a team or teams? Ones that aren’t in a conference they won’t leave or not tied too. Or one that will actually increase the value of the ACC. Because I’ve racked my brain but there’s not any I can think of.

Who would the ACC add at this point? Tulane, SMU, USF? Stanford, Cal? They sat on their Tobacco Road ass and let the Big 12 do all the wheeling and dealing. It’s incredible that the ACC is paying this commissioner as he’s unable to have any foresight.
Exactly we’ve waited until the parties over and everyone is heading home to look for a date. And it’s to damn late.

• Haha
Reactions: jalovell23
I have no problem with reward for performance. But they shouldn’t get a bigger cut just because they are FSU or Clemson. Let the distribution be based on winning, not on name.
Yep it should be based on each year’s performance. Pay based on where you finish in the conference and that should be based on sport. Because Clemson brings nothing when it comes to BB and FSU brings little.

How ACC presidents do hand Phillips his walking papers TODAY is beyond me. He’s damaging our brand and our future. Makes you wonder..WWJD (What Would Jurich Do)?

Reactions: sherepower
Any new school that the ACC would have brought into the conference over the past several years would have almost certainly ended up decreasing the tv payout per school, which could be what Clemson or FSU or NC use to break the GOR, a claim that the conference was intentionally damaging their revenues. So maybe the ACC could get someone to accept a lower amount of tv money like Oregon and Washington did going to the B1G? Well, those schools are getting 30-35 million for the next several years. So, in the ACC's situation, who would accept a payday of maybe 15 million a year? None of the schools that just went to the Big 12, that's for sure.

Reactions: fredburgcard
FSU hasn't proven anything in football in quite some time, and they don't travel well to bowl games.
Why are they so highly thought of? Is it because they're in Fla and have a high student enrollment??
Bobby Bowden isn't walking through that door! But Jimbo Fisher might on his way home from aTm lol.

Reactions: Cardsfan62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT