ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News Supposedly Coming

Flowers, Davis and Evans are gone, so that’s 3 right there. Got to think Huntley Hatfield at the very least is gone. Likely a few others, as well.
If we get a coach like Drew, we may hang on to Johnson and Glenn. Maybe Williams and BHH if he doesn't enter the NBA draft. But I just don't see James, Clark, and White staying.

Everyone else won't be invited back. Is Traynor eligible to come back? If so, he may stay around.

The new coach will probably have 8 or 9 spots to fill with transfers and recruits.

If we get a coach like Drew, we may hang on to Johnson and Glenn. Maybe Williams and BHH if he doesn't enter the NBA draft. But I just don't see James, Clark, and White staying.

Everyone else won't be invited back. Is Traynor eligible to come back? If so, he may stay around.

The new coach will probably have 8 or 9 spots to fill with transfers and recruits.
Where’s Clark going - to play with Big Baller Brand in Lithuania? He’s played at 12 schools already.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardiac Red
I’ll throw out a name I like, Kevin Kruger at UNLV. He’s 40 yrs old and son of Lon Kruger. Have watched several games. Love their style. They were 9-9, now 19-10. Freshman guard is amazing.
GO CARDS!!!
Interesting but only from my perspective. My brother played for Lon Kruger early in his career at Texas Pan American. Most good coaches start at the bottom.

All those schollys are one year deals between the school and the player anyway.
I think we may see a change to the NLI contracts and extending them beyond 1 year. Based of the player you may do 1-2-3-4 year contracts. That way the player can lock down a spot. Coaching changes allow the player the ability to opt out. The one year deal opens the window for transfers.

This is going to be interesting and this Beard news makes sense even though I don’t agree.

Musselman fits because of his low buyout but sounds like that isn’t happening or it is less likely.

The interesting piece is managing the coaching buyout/salaries while maintaining a strong NIL. I think we end up with option 2 which is going to a lower tiered or less accomplished coach. I think the next coach has to be strong X and O then let NIL take its course.

If Drew says no which I expect, I think Goodman is closer to the truth than people want to admit.

"The administration is scandal-averse.."

From Crawford:

Just going to say this, you can’t really “rule out” a guy who was never a candidate, and wasn’t going to be. And I say that knowing that Beard is an outstanding coach. I really don’t know him, and I wouldn’t criticize any AD for having a conversation with him. I think he’s going to win a national championship at some point, the only question is where. But, I mean, he wasn’t going to be a candidate here. The administration is scandal-averse, and given the program’s history, I get that. Had a long conversation with Valvano about that not this week, but last.

Would you rather have Drew, but couldn't sign him until Baylors tournament ended or take option 2 and sign at season end? The first option, although missing out on the portal right away looks like the better long-term choice.
Good question. I'd rather have Drew. I think with UofLs NIL backing and a coach like Drew, the Cards could still land some good players. And then you'll also know you have a very good coach at the helm.

Would you rather have Drew, but couldn't sign him until Baylors tournament ended or take option 2 and sign at season end? The first option, although missing out on the portal right away looks like the better long-term choice.
I'd rather wait for Drew.

My understanding is, when a coach leaves a program, the players on their former team automatically get 30 days to enter the Portal.

Drew could potentially bring players from his Top 15 team, including players from his top recruiting class.

Those players aren't tied to Baylor in this day and age, they're tied to their coaches if anything. And we can compete with NIL.

I don’t like leadership being risk adverse. Everything decision comes with risk. Being scared of events that may or may not happen is weak.

I get avoiding Will Wade. He is as anti NCAA as you can find. He has a show cause. Beard by the law is innocent. I would argue the risk in hiring at this point is lower than it was 4 years ago. Now if the administration vetted him and they didn’t think he was a good fit fine.

There is genuine risk in everyone they hire. You are hiring a head basketball coach not Jesus Christ.

I don’t like leadership being risk adverse. Everything decision comes with risk. Being scared of events that may or may not happen is weak.

I get avoiding Will Wade. He is as anti NCAA as you can find. He has a show cause. Beard by the law is innocent. I would argue the risk in hiring at this point is lower than it was 4 years ago. Now if the administration vetted him and they didn’t think he was a good fit fine.

There is genuine risk in everyone they hire. You are hiring a head basketball coach not Jesus Christ.
Ya he just got a bad rap for associating with whores and leper's

i would have become a uk fan if he was hired. it would have shown our school's leadership has no morals or backbone or ethical compass, it's just win and screw everything else in life. that we want controversy non-stop, that being good humans has no basis for hiring a coach or leader of kids. and when there were 20 good candidates we chose the one with the worst reputation and allegedly did one of the worst acts you can do outside of murder or rape, and that's physically assaulting and choking your spouse.

i would have become a uk fan if he was hired. it would have shown our school's leadership has no morals or backbone or ethical compass, it's just win and screw everything else in life. that we want controversy non-stop, that being good humans has no basis for hiring a coach or leader of kids. and when there were 20 good candidates we chose the one with the worst reputation and allegedly did one of the worst acts you can do outside of murder or rape, and that's physically assaulting and choking your spouse.
Well if reports are to be believed, they didn't give Beard any serious consideration anyway. Not sure about Wade but it seems like they'd avoid him too.

David Sisk reported about 3 weeks ago, his sources are saying Musselman and UL were in talks and was close to a deal. Which makes sense with the talk about an announcement being soon.
If that's true it seems those talks might have cooled or stalled.

You seem prone to hyperbole but if that would be the case, I would submit that you aren’t much of a UofL fan then. Additionally, you don’t understand how the law works in the US.

Here’s hoping that you’re never judged for the rest of your life by something you may have allegedly done.

A good point was made today on Beard that makes sense. He would come here with zero grace. Any mistakes would be escalated by media waiting to pounce or the administration. We saw that with Mack to some extent. While not fair to Beard it is the reality if they did hire him. Sounds like we won’t have to worry about it.

A good point was made today on Beard that makes sense. He would come here with zero grace. Any mistakes would be escalated by media waiting to pounce or the administration. We saw that with Mack to some extent. While not fair to Beard it is the reality if they did hire him. Sounds like we won’t have to worry about it.
Just curious - what sort of mistake(s) were being referenced?

I understand that type of thinking however realistically, short of some major / unforgivable type of mistake, a minor mistake would have to be accompanied by a lack of success on the court. That’s what happened to Mack.

As much as I’ve disagreed with you know who, he is absolutely correct when he says that the Yum was packed night in and night out under pitino - even after everything had occurred.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
As much as I’ve disagreed with you know who, he is absolutely correct when he says that the Yum was packed night in and night out under pitino - even after everything had occurred.
I can say from my perspective that attendance would have dropped even if that coach had of stayed, no matter what the other guy thinks. I know my thoughts when the fbi stuff came out were how in the hell could our ad and the university allow this to happen, allow this coach to do this yet again while on probation. I was just waiting at that point for the program to receive its last meal and the blindfold to be put on. Even though I still supported the team my faith in the leadership took a hit. I can guarantee I wasn't the only one to feel that way.

Reactions: Art79
You seem prone to hyperbole but if that would be the case, I would submit that you aren’t much of a UofL fan then. Additionally, you don’t understand how the law works in the US.

Here’s hoping that you’re never judged for the rest of your life by something you may have allegedly done.
Yeah, I don't want to dogpile Glassman, but right after I read his post, I was like, if you're focused on "morals" how the hell did you make it past Porcini's? Extra-marital sex and didn't she have an abortion Pitino paid for? That's a lot of "morals" to overlook.

Morality is whatever each individual thinks, which is why hiring Beard isn't about morals, it's strictly a calculation of potential PR issues and whether as AD/President of the University, you think you can handle the worst case scenario. Apparently Josh thinks not. It's his call. If we go for Drew or someone else good and the program gets back to elite status, everyone will forget about Beard. If we continue to suck, Josh is going to get hit over the head with Beard for years to come. Especially if Beard goes to UK and takes them back to Championships.

Josh, you better get this fixed, bottom line.

And that's what it comes down to, Josh getting this fixed. I would rather take the time and get the best we can than pulling the trigger on the second, third, etc, option just to expedite a resolution.

Reactions: BPGhost
Wouldn't be surprised at all if you're right. Billy D isn't coming and I also still doubt Drew. Unless Heird proves us wrong then I'll admit it. But it does sound like they want us to know they took their shot at the best regardless.
I heard that he was looking at houses in the east end 😂

"The administration is scandal-averse.."

From Crawford:

Just going to say this, you can’t really “rule out” a guy who was never a candidate, and wasn’t going to be. And I say that knowing that Beard is an outstanding coach. I really don’t know him, and I wouldn’t criticize any AD for having a conversation with him. I think he’s going to win a national championship at some point, the only question is where. But, I mean, he wasn’t going to be a candidate here. The administration is scandal-averse, and given the program’s history, I get that. Had a long conversation with Valvano about that not this week, but last.
This is not a rebuke to your post shadow but on Crawford words.
WTF scandals are to be had in college basketball anymore? Paying players? Contacting players out of season? Hell, I bet donors can now arrange for hookers, depending on age and state law. Plus the NCAA is a dead man walking. They will be broke by the time the antitrust suits finish up. You know, all that money that was supposed to be going towards the betterment of student-athletes? They are instead spending it all in order to stay alive as a relevant organization. There are no morals in business and that now holds true for college athletics. Sink or swim, that's the game now. Get the best you can or you will sink.

Yeah, I don't want to dogpile Glassman, but right after I read his post, I was like, if you're focused on "morals" how the hell did you make it past Porcini's? Extra-marital sex and didn't she have an abortion Pitino paid for? That's a lot of "morals" to overlook.
pitino should have been fired then and i've said it since then. rp was and still is a doucher! TJ deserved to be fired when he didn't fire RP. i called for that non-stop. there's my morals. get rid of the fu$kers and don;t hire someone who choked his wife.

he didn't allegedly do it, HE DID IT and he's not suffering at all for it. he got a job immediately. and even if alleged, why would any sane person take a chance on him when there are many other coaches available. are we gluttons for punsihment and ridicule? and i understand how the law wors, when you choke your wife, you may not be arrested but that doesn't mean any single school has to ever hire you again. no one has to take a chance on him. he has no right to coach or be given a job. no one owes him that. he had his chance. now hire someoen who doesn't choke his wife. and i do know the law and i know the law cannot amke a spouse testify and his wife fully understood her life of non working and staying at home with the kids and having a meal ticket was going to be over if she testified so she didn't press charges but she knows he did it. we ALL knwo he did it. that's whey they arrested him and took him to jail. they had proof of what he did otherwise they would have left his house that night with no one in cuffs. it's also like saying that since a republican dominated senate didn't convict the ex pres Frump for insurrection does not mean he did nto commit the crime. he did and we all know it btu politics stopped the system from workign properly. in essence, his wife fearing for her meal ticket stopped the system from workign properly. keep that scum, both of them, away from our city

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT