ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News Supposedly Coming

This guy was never really an option IMO. They were never going to look into him after the Pitino era happened. But somebody on Twitter or the radio floated it and those things can take flight.
Oh I realize that. Beard and Wade won't be considered because the administration is scandal/risk adverse.

Just putting some general news in the thread, especially about coaches some people have talked about.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
If you are looking at Big XII coaches, I suggest, in addition to Drew, Iowa State's TJ Otzelberger as a guy who could win big at a program like Louisville.

Otz has a $17M buyout. Scratch him off any lists.
I keep hearing noise about Mick Cronin as a possibility but I think his buyout is $20 million, which gets reduced to $16 million after March 31. To me that’s not going to fly, plus a large portion of the fanbase are not high on him anyway.

I keep hearing noise about Mick Cronin as a possibility but I think his buyout is $20 million, which gets reduced to $16 million after March 31. To me that’s not going to fly, plus a large portion of the fanbase are not high on him anyway.
There’s some talk that Cronin’s agent thinks he can get the buyout reduced. Not sure why - I’ve heard because of changing conferences, also heard that UCLA wouldn’t mind if he left kind of like our situation with Satt

Reactions: Louisvillian
First odds on next Louisville coach that I've seen come from @BetKYdotcom:

Scott Drew +600
Nate Oats +700
Chris Beard +1000
Mick Cronin +1000
Jerome Tang +1250
Steve Forbes +1250
Josh Schertz +1250
Shaka Smart +1500
Lamont Paris +2000
Dusty May +2000
Eric Musselman +2500
Field +3000

Others:

Kelvin Sampson +3500
Will Wade +10000
Bruce Pearl +10000
Jay Wright +10000
Billy Donovan +10000

Don't know why Beard, Wade, and some others are even mentioned. Lol

Reactions: vegasville1
Gut feeling or based on things you've heard?
Some of both. I definitely want Scott Drew but I just find it hard to believe he has the shortest odds because I find it hard to believe he’d leave Baylor. May checks the most boxes but he has options. In some sense Tang is the safe hire because he has a couple years at a major program and he has had some friction with KSU admin this year. But are you gonna pay his $6M buyout? Schertz would be one where Heird basically will have had to research the hell out of the guy and convince himself and then us that the guy is a basketball savant. Oats would crush it here but I see him leveraging Bama. He seems like someone who’ll eventually end up coaching in NBA.

Reactions: shadow force
I don’t get Cronin with the way things are with his team this year they will probably really lower the buyout. Same goes for Musselman and Tang.

I don’t get Cronin with the way things are with his team this year they will probably really lower the buyout. Same goes for Musselman and Tang.
They haven't had great seasons this year but you have to also look at their entire body of work, especially the last few seasons.

It's equally bad to look at a guy that just gets hot to close out the season if other things don't back him up. That's how Uk got Billy G.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I will view the next hire as some indication as to just how important UL basketball is to this University, the AD, and those in the Alumni and the Business Community. Its all about the money.

My first choice would be Scott Drew and we know we could pay him more than Baylor. I would love Chris Beard but he just got a long contract extension. It is a shame we have fallen so far that we have to take someone who is unproven in a P5 conference. Someone who has had some good years but now seem to be struggling.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
The state of basketball coaching is rather sorry. For an example, take a look across the ACC. In the past we had larger than life brilliant coaches like Case, McGuire, McKinney, Bubas, Smith, Driesell. What Holland did at UVA was universally considered impossible before Holland was at UVA. Without the Holland-UVA miracle of 1976, Ralph Sampson never would have gone to UVA.

The ACC needs Louisville to land a guy like Scott Drew.
I guess you left out Coach K and Old Roy for a reason. Get lost kittie. We don't need your advice.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
First odds on next Louisville coach that I've seen come from @BetKYdotcom:

Scott Drew +600
Nate Oats +700
Chris Beard +1000
Mick Cronin +1000
Jerome Tang +1250
Steve Forbes +1250
Josh Schertz +1250
Shaka Smart +1500
Lamont Paris +2000
Dusty May +2000
Eric Musselman +2500
Field +3000

Others:

Kelvin Sampson +3500
Will Wade +10000
Bruce Pearl +10000
Jay Wright +10000
Billy Donovan +10000

Don't know why Beard, Wade, and some others are even mentioned. Lol
Because Louisville fans can be delustional. Before we hired Kenny Pain, most of the guys at the bottom were sure fire replacements according to this message board. Now we might be lucky to get a guy from the top of the list...

That's because this job opening is not nearly the plum that it once was. Years of mismanagement will achieve that...

That's because this job opening is not nearly the plum that it once was. Years of mismanagement will achieve that...
Idk Zipp. I think the base is dying to get behind the right guy,who's putting an exciting and competitive product on the floor. And the right guy understands that.
The job is really more of a hidden gem.

Reactions: rh62531
I don't question that there's an element of the fanbase that still holds the head coaching job in high esteem. But we've seen this decline before in other programs. They don't generally come back. And we're not in a good position anymore to outspend Top 30 programs.

I think there's been irreparable damage to the entire athletic department. And it takes awhile for everything to be affected. If this men's basketball job is our final moonshot, we better not fail...

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I agree this hire is very important probably one of the most important hires in our basketball program. So many fans are now disengaged from the basketball program. The pressure that was put on the administration to hire KP should be a big learning lesson for us. Hire the most qualified coach to do the job.

I agree this hire is very important probably one of the most important hires in our basketball program. So many fans are now disengaged from the basketball program. The pressure that was put on the administration to hire KP should be a big learning lesson for us. Hire the most qualified coach to do the job.
EXACTLY. The demand for Payne was a combination of romanticization of alums and deep faith in affirmative action. Payne as coach was best known for being little more than John Calipari's bagman. That alone should have made him unwanted.

I must confess that when some influential alumni asked for financial support behind hiring KP; I found myself listening to the myth about Kenny’s ability to attract recruits. At the time I was too far removed from supporting the BB Program to participate beyond “acknowledging that it sounded interesting”. My reluctance to engage, was a result of questioning why Payne spent so much time as an assistant under Calipari? Payne was then, as he is now “sleepy, passive and lazy”.

Since we like looking back. Let’s say Pitinio doesn’t fail in the NBA. Guess who the 2nd choice was…..Larry Eustachy. Not exactly an elite coach. Elite coaches rarely bounce around. There are circumstances that led to the change. Why would Elite coaches move getting paid millions in a stable environment?

The challenge has all been finding the right guy. Louisville hasn’t had to look for coaches for decades. Indiana hasn’t found since Knight. It is hard to duplicate a coaches success.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT