ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches that were mentioned when Satterfield was hired.

EKYCard643

6000+
Sep 4, 2016
twitter.com
Lets look at some guys who were all brought up either as serious candidates or guys that fans wanted when Satt was hired.

Full disclosure - I was all in on Satterfield when it became clear to me that Brohm wasn't coming. Satt was my first and only legit choice. My top 3 were Satterfield, Luke Fickell and Neal Brown. Below are the coaches that were brought up in the media or by fans back when Satterfied was hired and their record since then.

Jeff Brohm - 6-12 at Purdue, 1-0 this year.
Neal Brown - 11-12 at WVU, 0-1 this year and as someone living in WV his seat is getting real hot.
Luke Fickell - 20-4 at Cincy, 1-0 this year.
Bill Clark - UAB HC. 15-8 the last two years, 1-0 this year.
Clark Lea - Notre Dame DC the last 2 years, just named Vandy's HC.
Chip Long - Fired by ND, current OC at Tulane
Mike Norvell - 12-1 in 19 at Memphis, 3-6 at FSU, 0-1 this year.
Matt Wells - hired by TTech same year as Satt. 8-14 and 1-0 this year.
Dino Babers - 6-17 at Cuse, 1-0 this year and likely to be fired.

So...Bill Clark and Luke Fickell are the only two still at the same school they were in 2018 and are the only 2 who've been successful during Satterfields tenure at Louisville.

Norvell, Wells, Brown - all at "better" football schools than Louisville and all with as bad or worse results. Clark Lea's at Vandy so we can expect him to be fired in 3-4 years and Chip Long was fired a year after being a finalist for the Broyles Award. Babers will be fired after this year and Jeff Brohm has somehow turned a 20-25 career record at Purdue into a top 10 paycheck as he begins his 5th year there.

I don't know if Satterfield will or can work out at Louisville but I'm pretty sure switching coaches every 3-4 years isn't the answer either. Nearly every coach we looked at 3 years ago has gone on to fail at much better schools so our odds of picking a coach that will come in and win right away and be positive and have teams that look great even during the rebuilding phases is a long shot.

Lets look at some guys who were all brought up either as serious candidates or guys that fans wanted when Satt was hired.

Full disclosure - I was all in on Satterfield when it became clear to me that Brohm wasn't coming. Satt was my first and only legit choice. My top 3 were Satterfield, Luke Fickell and Neal Brown. Below are the coaches that were brought up in the media or by fans back when Satterfied was hired and their record since then.

Neal Brown - 11-12 at WVU, 0-1 this year and as someone living in WV his seat is getting real hot.

So...Bill Clark and Luke Fickell are the only two still at the same school they were in 2018 and are the only 2 who've been successful during Satterfields tenure at Louisville.

Norvell, Wells, Brown - all at "better" football schools than Louisville and all with as bad or worse results. Clark Lea's at Vandy so we can expect him to be fired in 3-4 years and Chip Long was fired a year after being a finalist for the Broyles Award. Babers will be fired after this year and Jeff Brohm has somehow turned a 20-25 career record at Purdue into a top 10 paycheck as he begins his 5th year there.

I don't know if Satterfield will or can work out at Louisville but I'm pretty sure switching coaches every 3-4 years isn't the answer either. Nearly every coach we looked at 3 years ago has gone on to fail at much better schools so our odds of picking a coach that will come in and win right away and be positive and have teams that look great even during the rebuilding phases is a long shot.
Correct.

Satterfield isn't a guy that will tank the program. We made the choice and we need to let him at least build and develop a roster before we move on. A place that moves on from coaches quickly and has an unsettled roster will not be an attractive situation that will not have a lot of interest, and lead to a cycle that Tennessee is in right now.

Correct.

Satterfield isn't a guy that will tank the program. We made the choice and we need to let him at least build and develop a roster before we move on. A place that moves on from coaches quickly and has an unsettled roster will not be an attractive situation that will not have a lot of interest, and lead to a cycle that Tennessee is in right now.
Year 3, regardless of the circumstances, is when a team under a "new" HC shows signs of improvement. It's entirely Satt's program now. You all can keep making excuses, but the CFB business model proves otherwise. Get it done year 3, or you're out. It's a long season. Anything is possible. But there were zero signs of hope last night.

Good post - and certainly food for thought. There clearly are two schools of thought - either the quick trigger or the long-term approach. Which method is employed is typically dependant on fan / donor base. As much as it pains me to, I will say this - credit (of a sort) to Brainfart who, despite all of the complaining about Stupes, stuck with him and has been rewarded with the makings of a solid program. Obviously, huge credit goes to Morrow for bringing in all of those guys but, there is no Morrow without Stupes.

As disappointed as we all were in CSS' tenure, I would be more inclined to stay the course - if I didn't believe that as soon as (if) he had some success here, Satterfield would be back to looking for any job in the Carolina area. Given that, I'm not sure what Tyra should do...

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Good post - and certainly food for thought. There clearly are two schools of thought - either the quick trigger or the long-term approach. Which method is employed is typically dependant on fan / donor base. As much as it pains me to, I will say this - credit (of a sort) to Brainfart who, despite all of the complaining about Stupes, stuck with him and has been rewarded with the makings of a solid program. Obviously, huge credit goes to Morrow for bringing in all of those guys but, there is no Morrow without Stupes.

As disappointed as we all were in CSS' tenure, I would be more inclined to stay the course - if I didn't believe that as soon as (if) he had some success here, Satterfield would be back to looking for any job in the Carolina area. Given that, I'm not sure what Tyra should do...
Stoops' recruiting classes are what kept buying him time. Satt's recruiting classes: nothing to see here.

OP or anybody else...

Are there any alumni coaching?

I know Ragone has just started his NFL career so wouldn't be any immediate option, but do we have anybody coaching anywhere that might deserve a look?

Another question, who are the candidates at the end of this year? The crop might look a little different than it did last time the Cards were searching.

Year 3, regardless of the circumstances, is when a team under a "new" HC shows signs of improvement. It's entirely Satt's program now. You all can keep making excuses, but the CFB business model proves otherwise. Get it done year 3, or you're out. It's a long season. Anything is possible. But there were zero signs of hope last night.
But is he being hurt by overachieving in year 1? I don't want to live in a world of What-Ifs, but lets looks

I mean we went 2-10 the year before he got here in 2018.
What if we had lost those 1 possession games in 2019 to BC, Wake, and UVA and end the year 4-8?
Then say it's 4-7 last year like it actually happened?

What would the expectations be in year 3 after last night? Did that year 1 make us jump expectations that we should compete with the big boys already? That's the way it seems to me, we overachieved greatly in 2019 and performed to about the mean in 2020, then lost a big chunk of talent.

We're much better on the lines and on defense overall then when he arrived. We pretty much are just missing 3 NFL talents that were playmakers and we have to replace them all this year with unproven guys.

Because the way I look at it, we're a much healthier program than the one he took over from Bobby, which you can say is easy but then again we were the worst Power 5 team by a mile. I think we just had some good luck go our way in 2019 and it made us think the rebuild was gonna be easy. So overall, the team is much more balanced than we were in his first year. So we've made progress and I think that this group can get better.

The worry is that Scott won't have us near the top 4-5 teams in the ACC and we'll just be a firm middle class team, but I don't worry about him fielding a competitive team. We were blessed with some great hires in an easier conference and some luck in finding elite QBs, but it's not that easy. We're in an area that does not have fertile recruiting grounds and we're in a conference where all the teams spend money on football. It's not gonna happen overnight. We aren't a program where you see results overnight from bad to top 25, you can do that at Cincy and UCF in the AAC, but not the ACC.

Reactions: Mayoman
Correct.

I agree. I'm not sure if Satterfield will build Louisville to the heights we want but I'm at a point in this constant coach turnover life of a Louisville fan that I would rather give Satterfield 4, 5 or 6 years to make strides. Obviously if Louisville continues to look like they did last night and struggles to beat the BCs and UVAs of the world then we can start looking elsewhere but for once I would love to see a Louisville football go into his 5th or 6th year here.

Another question, who are the candidates at the end of this year? The crop might look a little different than it did last time the Cards were searching.

Not that I'm aware of. I don't even know where to begin for candidates this year. Obviously Fickell would be everyone's top choice but I'm not sure Louisville could land him. He's obviously a short timer at Cincy but I'm assuming he's waiting for the perfect situation. Stay at Cincy, beat mid-majors and pile up a gaudy record and wait for the dream school to open up.

I honestly couldn't tell you who I would want if Satterfield was fired. I liked Bill Clark last time, based on what I read and what he done at UAB but just didn't think it was a "big" enough hire at the time, if Satterfield were fired this time I'd think he would have to be on the short list.

I agree. I'm not sure if Satterfield will build Louisville to the heights we want but I'm at a point in this constant coach turnover life of a Louisville fan that I would rather give Satterfield 4, 5 or 6 years to make strides. Obviously if Louisville continues to look like they did last night and struggles to beat the BCs and UVAs of the world then we can start looking elsewhere but for once I would love to see a Louisville football go into his 5th or 6th year here.
Last night was one of the least prepared UofL teams I've seen since the '18 debacle. People are worried about keeping a coach 5 to 6 years? I'm worried about not looking like a JV high school team. This is a results oriented business. Get the job done, or GTFO. That's just how it goes. BTW, I'm not saying get rid of him now. If the season is a failure, yes, then make a change. Tyra isn't Jurich. Tyra doesn't have the luxury of a making a bad hire without quickly remedying it. Half the base doesn't like him to begin with.

Stoops' recruiting classes are what kept buying him time. Satt's recruiting classes: nothing to see here.
Completely agree - there's no Morrow on his staff. Everyone that has been touted as a great recruiter (Ledford, Dennis) have bailed on Satterfield. Bottom line is that you can't be consistently successful with that offense at this level without better players.

Satterfield is also not being helped by lackluster recruiting and constant transfers.

2 of the top 3 kids from last years class (Oliver/Williams) aren't on campus and TJ Lewis was brought in for QB depth and already switched positions. This current class looks really bad based on offer sheets and rankings. If we assume we're going to lose Zavion Thomas to a bigger school like most seem to think then there's maybe 2 kids out of the 7 committed that are the level of talent we need. Khalib Johnson isn't a D1 QB in my opinion and Cabana is a Canadian OLinemen with no-offers worth even mentioning, I want Satterfield to succeed here and give him time but he's got to improve recruiting and he's got to stop recruiting "bodies" and get actual talent.

Go look at the offer sheets for this group of commits. There's maybe a handful of P5 offers combined for this class outside of Popeye and Zavion.

Completely agree - there's no Morrow on his staff. Everyone that has been touted as a great recruiter (Ledford, Dennis) have bailed on Satterfield. Bottom line is that you can't be consistently successful with that offense at this level without better players.
You have to have a plan with Recruiting

Charlie Strong coached at Florida under Urban Meyer. Had connections all over. Had a plan to come in an recruit Florida hard and build an actual Power 5 program. Clint Hurtt was his Marrow.

Stoops was a Miami and FSU during their good runs. Had connections all over. Had a plan to recruit the MidWest and build an actual power 5 program. Marrow laid the foundation.

That’s why I really wanted Fickell last time. He’s an Ohio State guy and knows the area. Has plenty of Urban Meyer connections.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Last night was one of the least prepared UofL teams I've seen since the '18 debacle. People are worried about keeping a coach 5 to 6 years? I'm worried about not looking like a JV high school team. This is a results oriented business. Get the job done, or GTFO. That's just how it goes. BTW, I'm not saying get rid of him now. If the season is a failure, yes, then make a change. Tyra isn't Jurich. Tyra doesn't have the luxury of a making a bad hire without quickly remedying it. Half the base doesn't like him to begin with.
I absolutely agree but college football is one of, if not the hardest sport to get results quickly...and yes, even year 3 is considered quickly in my book.

I won't apologize for the way the team looked. Thats on him. Thats the worst they've looked in his entire tenure in my opinion. That was worse than the UK beatdowns. He has to look better moving forward. The mistakes and the lack of take aways are again very bad. His teams continue to turn it over far, far too often and Bryan Browns defenses continue to not produce any take aways. This tells me something is off - guys are too lazy with the ball and guys aren't in good enough shape or smart enough to be in the best position to cause turnovers. Its a problem. There needs to be strides made even if they're small. If this team limps to a 4-5 win season then yeah...lets talk then. How'd they look? Unprepared? Uninspired? No turnovers forced? Still losing 1-2 fumbles a game and throwing 1-2 picks every game? If this is true then yeah, maybe we move on.

You gotta admit it was a Kragthorpe 2.0 scene. Fumbling a pitch on crucial 4th & 1 with a TD in sight. Other team WR's just running around with big gains. Other team running through our undersized corner on the goal line. Onside Kicks going 50 yards. Throwback pass with wall of blockers ready and 1 Ole Miss guy beats 6 UofL blockers. Nearly having 2 guys ejected for targeting on the same hit - this has never been seen before. Announcers forced to discuss a dog in the crowd in 4th Q because the game is just so damn boring.

Reactions: CardX
Coaches that worked- Howard, John L Smith, Bobby 1.0, Charlie Strong
Coaches that failed- Ron Cooper, Kragthorpe, Bobby 2.0

Howard was already a proven great coach at Miami and coached NFL

Cooper, Kragthorpe, John L, and Satterfield were guys coming from mid-majors. And actually, Bobby 2.0 was coming from WKU

Bobby 1.0 & Charlie were coordinators at elite programs before they came to UofL

The mid-major guys haven't worked, John L Smith did work, but we were in CUSA at the time and he was a failure at Michigan State when he got to a real conference. It does look like guys from bigger programs do tend to work here. Specifically guys from Florida.

Garrick McGee is the pass game coordinator at Florida now under Mullen. Since UL he got fired at Illinois, but was involved in the Drew Lock offense at Mizzou. Billy Gonzales is their pass game coordinator. Rhett Lashlee the O at Miami is a pretty hot name.

Kevin Wilson, who was fired at Indiana for some issues, is the OC at Ohio State and I think he'd be a great fit in my opinion. I think we'd be a great landing spot for Tom Herman. He did great at Houston and could recruit. He did pretty well at Texas too and I think has a lot of good football left in him.

Reactions: Cardhorn

This is a great post. I'm not super stoked about Satterfield either, but like I said before when people wanted Bobby gone, if you're gonna FARRRRR that sonofabeyitch you better know who you're gonna HARRRRR. You don't just FARRRRR the guy after looking miserable getting killed by the Fighting Lane Kiffins on national TV - you need a solid plan.

Coaches that worked- Howard, John L Smith, Bobby 1.0, Charlie Strong
Coaches that failed- Ron Cooper, Kragthorpe, Bobby 2.0

Howard was already a proven great coach at Miami and coached NFL

Cooper, Kragthorpe, John L, and Satterfield were guys coming from mid-majors. And actually, Bobby 2.0 was coming from WKU

Bobby 1.0 & Charlie were coordinators at elite programs before they came to UofL

The mid-major guys haven't worked, John L Smith did work, but we were in CUSA at the time and he was a failure at Michigan State when he got to a real conference. It does look like guys from bigger programs do tend to work here. Specifically guys from Florida.

Garrick McGee is the pass game coordinator at Florida now under Mullen. Since UL he got fired at Illinois, but was involved in the Drew Lock offense at Mizzou. Billy Gonzales is their pass game coordinator. Rhett Lashlee the O at Miami is a pretty hot name.

Kevin Wilson, who was fired at Indiana for some issues, is the OC at Ohio State and I think he'd be a great fit in my opinion. I think we'd be a great landing spot for Tom Herman. He did great at Houston and could recruit. He did pretty well at Texas too and I think has a lot of good football left in him.
I would rather go with a high major coordinator as well. Tom Herman is an interesting name that I hadn't thought about. I wouldn't be opposed to that. In my humble opinion it takes quiet the personality and coach to come from the mid-major field and be the level of success that we would like at the P5 level. If you are at a major P5 program as a coordinator then you've already got high major connections and relationships and it allows you to hit the ground running a lot better with recruiting.

In all seriousness, in my humbled (despite my posting style) opinion, and I admit I know nothing.

The best case for the longevity of this program is probably cut ties with current coach end of year. Hope Purdue has another losing season and cans Brohm. Hire Jeff.

Let him bring in his brothers. Greg, Brian, they can bring their dogs and wives too. Whoever they want. Take it over. We know it's a 5+ year task at that point. The program is yours. Lock down the city players. I am really not happy every time I see Ridder from St X lighting it up for Cincy, ok? This is a problem.

Anyway, that is my preferred scenario and no I did NOT go to Trinity.

In all seriousness, in my humbled (despite my posting style) opinion, and I admit I know nothing.

The best case for the longevity of this program is probably cut ties with current coach end of year. Hope Purdue has another losing season and cans Brohm. Hire Jeff.

Let him bring in his brothers. Greg, Brian, they can bring their dogs and wives too. Whoever they want. Take it over. We know it's a 5+ year task at that point. The program is yours. Lock down the city players. I am really not happy every time I see Ridder from St X lighting it up for Cincy, ok? This is a problem.

I'd rather lock up the state of Florida.

I would argue that Charlie has proven that he would have eventually been a bust had he stayed.

He failed at TX (whether “his” fault or not) and he couldn’t win at USF. His own “backyard”. Absolutely no reason to think he would have kept recruiting well here.

There's little to no chance that Purdue fires Jeff or that we can afford to hire Jeff should he want out of Purdue. He signed a 7 year contract in 2019 that made him a top 10 highest paid coach and probably close to $5 million a year. I think his current contract runs through like '25 or 26' meaning he has 4-5 full seasons left on it. I don't know the specifics on his buyout are for termination but based on what seems to be the norm in coaching contracts I would imagine he has something between $20-$25 million left on his contract and I would bet that Purdue would at absolute best owe him a large % of that, if not all.

There's little to no chance that Purdue fires Jeff or that we can afford to hire Jeff should he want out of Purdue. He signed a 7 year contract in 2019 that made him a top 10 highest paid coach and probably close to $5 million a year. I think his current contract runs through like '25 or 26' meaning he has 4-5 full seasons left on it. I don't know the specifics on his buyout are for termination but based on what seems to be the norm in coaching contracts I would imagine he has something between $20-$25 million left on his contract and I would bet that Purdue would at absolute best owe him a large % of that, if not all.
Thx for the info. Thought his time might be up if he had a 4th losing season in a row. Guess we'll see man did we trap them into that contract or what? He could do well this year ya never know.

Purdue hasn't had a winning season since 2017. It's safe to say his seat is hot. But, that ship has sailed, IMO.

Purdue hasn't had a winning season since 2017. It's safe to say his seat is hot. But, that ship has sailed, IMO.
Why has it sailed? Just bad timing. The only people he screwed were Purdue people when he worked them for that contract.

He didn't waffle and string UofL fans along, did he? I thought he was pretty honest, and said he wanted to see what he could do at Purdue. Now they are seeing it.

But not all relationships work out. Doesn't mean more relationships can't be made. Maybe his system just isn't playing in that league with the type of player he's allowed to bring in. There's a lot about it I admit I don't know or understand.

Oh yeah I think his seat is hot, I just don't see a program like Purdue forking over what I assume is well over $10 million dollars to fire their coach. I would assume their athletic department and fanbase is probably a little more patient than ours. Purdue football doesn't exactly have a history of being world beaters at their peak they're a 7-8 win program.

Why has it sailed? Just bad timing. The only people he screwed were Purdue people when he worked them for that contract.

He didn't waffle and string UofL fans along, did he? I thought he was pretty honest, and said he wanted to see what he could do at Purdue. Now they are seeing it.

But not all relationships work out. Doesn't mean more relationships can't be made. Maybe his system just isn't playing in that league with the type of player he's allowed to bring in. There's a lot about it I admit I don't know or understand.
When Tyra first approached him, Brohm was a hot name. Purdue has since stunk, and his name isn't so hot anymore. Plus, Tyra needs to fix this. Bringing Brohm home is not the answer. If his name weren't Brohm, we wouldn't want a failed and fired Purdue coach.

Oh yeah I think his seat is hot, I just don't see a program like Purdue forking over what I assume is well over $10 million dollars to fire their coach. I would assume their athletic department and fanbase is probably a little more patient than ours. Purdue football doesn't exactly have a history of being world beaters at their peak they're a 7-8 win program.
I think you might need to reassess Purdue's standing in college football. True, they aren't world beaters, but they aren't little sisters of the poor, either. They've got money. Plus, a fired coach doesn't walk with one lump sum of cash. It's paid out over time, making it more affordable, for lack of a better word.

When Tyra first approached him, Brohm was a hot name. Purdue has since stunk, and his name isn't so hot anymore. Plus, Tyra needs to fix this. Bringing Brohm home is not the answer. If his name weren't Brohm, we wouldn't want a failed and fired Purdue coach.
It's a good point.

I guess my counter, and this is gonna sting but it's not coming from a troll.

This is not a hot job either. The ACC just sucks. And if Satt is let go, that's the 2nd failed regime in a row.

Maybe Louisville is still viable destination short term for a guy trying to step stone to the next job. Is that what we want at this juncture?

I think his name means more than what maybe you're crediting it. Like I said earlier, it assures a lockdown on the city players, I know we want players from FLA and GA too. I get that. But there are some good players that play ball in this town. And he would be a guy that could stay, maybe turn away offers if he's really successful.

Just thinking out loud. We do agree, this sh!t show can't continue, one way or the other!

Purdue was damn good with Brees. They've had quite a few good QBs over the years. They just play in a real tough league.

Let's not pretend they don't care about football. They do. I think they averaged 50k attendance pre pandemic. Or something like that.

Would you be interested in Brohm here if Satt can't turn it around?

I hate to say this because I love the idea of Jeff Brohm being the HC, but I think the risk would be quite high for a 3rd consecutive failed regime. That win over Ohio State has made that man and generations after him millionaires, he really hasn't given me any reason to think he could succeed as the HC of Louisville. He, like Satterfield, have demonstrated success at the G5 level but that's about it.

Maybe not....but he may be all that we could get that would take the challenge on. Just saying. I am not a Trinity alum either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT