ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches that were mentioned when Satterfield was hired.

EKU is not important, its a win against an FCS team.

UCF is the GAME that will move the needle.
Win that one and maybe the Ole Miss game was just a bad start.
Lose it and the snowball gets really big.

Glanced thru some old threads - what is really interesting, and some of you guys may or may not remember, but many posters ITT (not me) were not on board with the hiring of Satterfield. I actually thought he would be okay (looks like I did not nail it LOL!), I mean I was neutral pretty much.

Some posters were pretty critical. A few said they would not renew tickets. Others compared him to SK.

Guys that appear to have nailed it... Knucklehank, Lefors4ever, NCAAcardfan, the OP...you guys weren't overboard mean about it but you were not impressed. Hank you straight up said it was a bad hire LOL... Lefors you acted like it was medicine, you really didn't want it but you said you'd support him because you're a fan. NCAAcardfan you pointed out recruiting concerns among other things that ended up being correct.

You guys actually had reservations and listed them. You really didn't have much enthusiasm for the guy, and it looks like y'all were correct.

It's odd, y'all seem to have more interest in him NOW than you did then. Some of you do. I think others have had enough maybe.

Life is weird. Love the chats!

When I was looking up info on Satt, I had seen interviews where he talked about loving small town rural life, talked about how great the App State football culture was, etc, etc. Frankly it just didn’t seem like a good fit. The successful coaches here (Howard, John L, Bobby 1.0, Charlie) had traits that fit with the city and the football program. They were confident, some bordering on brash, they had a chip on their shoulder and played up the us against the world mentality, they had visions (or delusions) of grandeur and they had strong ties on staff to Florida recruiting. I just didn’t think his awe-shucks personality was a good fit and I didn’t know how he’d handle trying to replicate the App football culture here. Louisville the city and the football program is a weird place. All that being said, I hope he’s highly successful. I’m a long time season ticket holder and usually go to at least one road game each year. His success as coach is my success.

The top 25 today is 90% the same teams it was 20 years ago.

The musical coaches are mostly at the 80 other schools. That includes us.

We need to hope Satt finally pulls an “ASU” here, builds his team, and culture, starts winning….then stays.

Anything else and we are destined to be “also ran” like the other 80.

We need to hope Satt finally pulls an “ASU” here, builds his team, and culture, starts winning….then stays.
Sorry can't hope for a dream like that. The dude tried to leave after one year + COVID.. Him staying isn't the future win or lose.

A realistic hope is he turns it around does well in some kind of way that catches another employer's eyes and he leaves on his own terms, he can get on with whatever it is he really wants and UofL can move forward.

Just the way it looks.

It really boils down to player evaluation and development. I am worried he and his staff aren’t elite in either area. The only chance they have is to be excellent at identifying and developing players at this level.

When I was looking up info on Satt, I had seen interviews where he talked about loving small town rural life, talked about how great the App State football culture was, etc, etc. Frankly it just didn’t seem like a good fit. The successful coaches here (Howard, John L, Bobby 1.0, Charlie) had traits that fit with the city and the football program. They were confident, some bordering on brash, they had a chip on their shoulder and played up the us against the world mentality, they had visions (or delusions) of grandeur and they had strong ties on staff to Florida recruiting. I just didn’t think his awe-shucks personality was a good fit and I didn’t know how he’d handle trying to replicate the App football culture here. Louisville the city and the football program is a weird place. All that being said, I hope he’s highly successful. I’m a long time season ticket holder and usually go to at least one road game each year. His success as coach is my success.
Living in NC for 25 years I can tell you that Boone is a totally different environment than Louisville. The whole town of Boone shuts down on game day until after the game. Then it goes back to the laid back excitement of hiking, skiing, hunting, etc. It’s the true definition of a college town and while we don’t have a professional team here, it’s nothing like the Ville.

If we do decide to change coaches this year I hope that we have someone ready to take the job right away. I don't want a revolving door of weirdness like at Tennessee. For once, let's be the organization flying out to have a secret meeting on the runway.

I'm about ready to go against everything I argued for in regards to not switching coaches every 3-4 years. I just don't think Satterfield has it, I don't think this is the right program for him and I don't think he's the right man for the job.

This team just does not seem to get any better.

Blown out by: Ole Miss, UK, Ga Tech, and Miami the last 15 games and really only looked good 3 times and that was against a 3-6 FSU team, a 1-10 Cuse team, and a 4-4 Wake team.

In his career at Louisville he has losses of: 18, 35, 25, 32, 19, 19. Of his 13 losses only 3 of them are by less than 7 points. He was blown out by a Miami team that finished 6-7, a Georgia Tech team that finished 3-7 and a UK team that finished 8-5 with a 1 dimensional offense and no QB.

Pretty sure it would only cost $3.5 million to fire him after this year and it only drops to $2 million if we wait until the end of 22'.

Those who are so critical of this team, and the last few years need to look around and witness what is going on in other places like Tallahassee, Knoxville, Lansing, and yes even Austin.

Blaming Dr Ramsey, Tom Jurich, Vince Tyra or Bobby Petrino ….. good luck with that! As for me, I will “try to stay in my lane“ and exercise the required amount of patience to let the season play out before ”throwing in the towel” and playing the blame game.

Those who are so critical of this team, and the last few years need to look around and witness what is going on in other places like Tallahassee, Knoxville, Lansing, and yes even Austin.

Blaming Dr Ramsey, Tom Jurich, Vince Tyra or Bobby Petrino ….. good luck with that! As for me, I will “try to stay in my lane“ and exercise the required amount of patience to let the season play out before ”throwing in the towel” and playing the blame game.
I absolutely get that. That’s what I was arguing for earlier in this exact post. But at some point you have to come to the conclusion that “hey, maybe this guy isn’t the right man for the job.”

I mean Tennessee could have given Butch Jones 20 years and he still wasn’t going to get them to where they wanted. Texas could have given Charlie a decade and clearly he just wasn’t the right fit for that program. You have to know when to stick by a coach and when to move on. Satterfield hasn’t been on a downward trajectory since the start of his second season, he’s been on a free fall both on and off the field. I’m all for giving coaches time but there has to be some momentum or positivity to point to. He’s been plagued by transfers, coaches leaving, getting blown out and looking unprepared and lost during the game, unwilling to change, predictable play calls, getting out coached badly, and he has no momentum or positivity going on in recruiting.

At some point Vince has to look around and make a change.

You don't want to make a change during the season unless you absolutely have to do it. Had they lost to EKU or gone down to the wire it may have been a step closer to that outcome, but it was an easy win even if the fans didn't like what they saw.

The job is already not all that appealing if you start a trend of dumping dudes during the year ain't nobody worth a crap gonna reach out.

This situation will handle itself after the season is over.

I'm about ready to go against everything I argued for in regards to not switching coaches every 3-4 years. I just don't think Satterfield has it, I don't think this is the right program for him and I don't think he's the right man for the job.

This team just does not seem to get any better.

Blown out by: Ole Miss, UK, Ga Tech, and Miami the last 15 games and really only looked good 3 times and that was against a 3-6 FSU team, a 1-10 Cuse team, and a 4-4 Wake team.

In his career at Louisville he has losses of: 18, 35, 25, 32, 19, 19. Of his 13 losses only 3 of them are by less than 7 points. He was blown out by a Miami team that finished 6-7, a Georgia Tech team that finished 3-7 and a UK team that finished 8-5 with a 1 dimensional offense and no QB.

Pretty sure it would only cost $3.5 million to fire him after this year and it only drops to $2 million if we wait until the end of 22'.
If you are waffling from one game to the next, changing from one extreme position to the exact other, with the next game being against EKU where nearly nothing is really learned, you are highly emotional. We definitely need as many fans like you that care.

Truth is nobody really knows the appropriate action but fun thread given the sh!t situation.

If you are waffling from one game to the next, changing from one extreme position to the exact other, with the next game being against EKU where nearly nothing is really learned, you are highly emotional. We definitely need as many fans like you that care.

Truth is nobody really knows the appropriate action but fun thread given the sh!t situation.

I just don't see any improvement. I realize things can change but man, the problems were evident against a team that our 2nd stringers should have been able to beat by 3 touchdowns. There's a talent gap and the recruiting isn't looking like its going to get better.

I also think there were things learned in that EKU game. I realize you may run a vanilla offense or not really show your hand too much against an inferior opponent but the fact remains that Louisville couldn't line up and run it down there throats or execute even a vanilla offense. The line got little to no push on offense and the line on defense managed to producy - 1 sack (on an all out blitz) and 6 QB hurries and only 5 TFL on 34 dropbacks. For reference UK had a sack, 6 QB hurries, and 8 TFL against Missouri.

I just haven't seen many positives to point to and I also haven't seen CSS illustrate an ability to change or modify his approach and gameplan. You can't bring App State level players and scheme into the ACC and expect to win consistently and that seems to be what he's doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
I just don't see any improvement.
It's just impossible to know because EKU cannot do things offensively that Top 50 programs can. You may be correct about the lack of confidence in the Cards offense, we are gonna know for sure soon.

The upcoming games are going to give us a clearer picture.

I'm willing to change my mind for sure, but not after an EKU game. I still don't think he's the answer for reasons on and off the field, and am hoping the dream of finding a qualified alum to one day take the program over and be here for a decade or more.

It's just impossible to know because EKU cannot do things offensively that Top 50 programs can. You may be correct about the lack of confidence in the Cards offense, we are gonna know for sure soon.

The upcoming games are going to give us a clearer picture.

I'm willing to change my mind for sure, but not after an EKU game. I still don't think he's the answer for reasons on and off the field, and am hoping the dream of finding a qualified alum to one day take the program over and be here for a decade or more.
I don't see the alumni thing happening. Brohm is the only remotely qualified candidate and I just don't see him happening. It would be beyond idiotic considering where we are as a program and where we've been for the last 7 or 8 years to hand it off to a former alumni with no college coaching experience. Louisville's path back to relevance runs straight through hiring a coordinator from a major SEC or ACC power.

I don't see the alumni thing happening. Brohm is the only remotely qualified candidate and I just don't see him happening. It would be beyond idiotic considering where we are as a program and where we've been for the last 7 or 8 years to hand it off to a former alumni with no college coaching experience. Louisville's path back to relevance runs straight through hiring a coordinator from a major SEC or ACC power.
And just doing the things it takes.

We have the facilities and are in a major conference. So we have to get the guy and let him hire the assistants he wants to hire. We have to be patient and see how things are monitored.

Kevin Wilson, the OSU OC and former IU coach, is the only guy I'd make the quick move for right now. But with us being so scared of the scandal crap, we won't do it I bet. Just like we didn't go all in on Bruce Pearl either because of that.

And just doing the things it takes.

We have the facilities and are in a major conference. So we have to get the guy and let him hire the assistants he wants to hire. We have to be patient and see how things are monitored.

Kevin Wilson, the OSU OC and former IU coach, is the only guy I'd make the quick move for right now. But with us being so scared of the scandal crap, we won't do it I bet. Just like we didn't go all in on Bruce Pearl either because of that.

Yeah I wouldn't touch Kevin Wilson either if I were Louisville. An old white dude with multiple allegations of player mistreatment and whose primary experience and relationships are in Big 10 country is not a recipe for reinvigorating a program.

Yeah I wouldn't touch Kevin Wilson either if I were Louisville. An old white dude with multiple allegations of player mistreatment and whose primary experience and relationships are in Big 10 country is not a recipe for reinvigorating a program.
But he has big time ties at IU and was pretty successful at IU. He knows this area and what it takes to win at a high level. Ohio State relationships are NATIONAL relationships. Great offensive playcaller.

Coaching searches have a way of temporarily humbling fanbases. On one hand, there are these shiny highly respected well known names that sound great. OTOH is the reality, and at least half of the list is guys the average fan has never heard of.

Brohm is not an answer here. Satterfield, I believe, will get done here. Just my own opinion.

GO CARDS!!!

The biggest issue Vince will have to face at the end of the season is deciding what is good enough. I'm on record as saying I think they win only 4-5 games. I think a final record with only 4-5 wins would make Vince's job easy and he would be absolutely justified in firing CSS. Now lets say he finishes with 6 wins but those 6 wins are EKU, Duke, Cuse, Wake, BC, and UVA and he finishes 5-3 in the ACC but is blown out by Ole Miss, UCF by 14+, NC State by 14+, Clemson by 21+ and UK by 21+. Goes 1-3 in the non-conference, loses big to all the best teams and loses big to UK again.....Does he keep him?

Disappointed as I am, I’m feeling more and more like this is, in actual FB, this is his second year.

I know last year meant nothing to me. Everyone’s life was turned upside down.

You didn’t know day to day what “today’s” rules of life would be.

Players didn’t know who would/could play/practice. Whether the game would happen until it actually started. Hell I didn’t even think about it that much. Didn’t really care if I were truthful.

How could I expect the team to to hyped, excited, and chomping at the bit when they didn’t know if all the work and sweat was going to end in a game?

They are no different than any of us, and if truthful, how many of us were excited and putting 100% in our jobs as we worked from home and watched TV while “working”?

That said, I think whatever were our expectations for last year should “roll over”to this year with next year being the turn around season.

Reactions: Mayoman
The biggest issue Vince will have to face at the end of the season is deciding what is good enough. I'm on record as saying I think they win only 4-5 games. I think a final record with only 4-5 wins would make Vince's job easy and he would be absolutely justified in firing CSS. Now lets say he finishes with 6 wins but those 6 wins are EKU, Duke, Cuse, Wake, BC, and UVA and he finishes 5-3 in the ACC but is blown out by Ole Miss, UCF by 14+, NC State by 14+, Clemson by 21+ and UK by 21+. Goes 1-3 in the non-conference, loses big to all the best teams and loses big to UK again.....Does he keep him?

I don’t think he’d fire him with 5 wins. The team does have a lot of youth and that would be offered as an excuse. However I do agree that the manner in which losses came would play a role. For instance if UK kicked our butt then keeping Satt would be a tough sell.

I don’t think he’d fire him with 5 wins. The team does have a lot of youth and that would be offered as an excuse. However I do agree that the manner in which losses came would play a role. For instance if UK kicked our butt then keeping Satt would be a tough sell.
I think not going to bowl and the USCjr debacle would almost force his hand. Fan support would absolutely be in the toilet if end this season with 5 wins. I don't think he'll have much of a choice.

Keep in mind there is a possibility he walks after the season on his own, if he was looking last year why wouldn't he be looking again.

Keep in mind there is a possibility he walks after the season on his own, if he was looking last year why wouldn't he be looking again.
Because good things like this don't happen to Louisville. Also, where would he go? I can't see a job that he would be a candidate for or that would pay him Louisville money, opening up. He isn't leaving for a non-P5 job and what P5 program is going to come after him after his tenure at Louisville?

Because good things like this don't happen to Louisville. Also, where would he go? I can't see a job that he would be a candidate for or that would pay him Louisville money, opening up. He isn't leaving for a non-P5 job and what P5 program is going to come after him after his tenure at Louisville?
Dominoes fall and there could be openings that he might prefer and/or see as a good fit. He didn't look worthy of an interview for an SEC job last year but he got one. Or was it more than one?

Good things have happened here it's just been awhile and the big 2 programs are stuck in a long line in a garage parking lot.

I believe this is going to work itself out after the final game this year one way or another.

If we got 5-3 in the ACC and get to a bowl, we aren't firing CSS.

I mean "well Scott with a young team that's not really talented or deep in the junior/senior classes couldn't compete with teams with more talent, so lets nuke the program again and get some coordinator or mid major guy to start all over again"

4-8 is the firing line and 5-7 is a debate. We have a young squad and getting rid of Scott destroys an already depleted roster and will result in mass transfers. And if you're a great coordinator or hot name, if CSS is fired for a 6-6 year after taking over an awful program, what would make the job attractive? I mean firing Scott means it'll be another rebuild and if these coaches see a place that gets rid of a guy quickly, that makes it hard.

That's why TJ was good at as AD. He believed in his guys and backed them to a fault. Yeah, he held onto Krag a bit long, but it did show a guy like Charlie that he would have support in rough times. Building a program is hard. Maybe you hold a guy longer just to build some roster stability and build some trust in the coaching world.

A bad record and lack of talent development is the sign. CSS only has brought in the sophomores and freshman. That's the hope of the program. By 2023 they'll be Seniors and juniors. 6-6 this year means we're bringing back a lot of young guys that have played and it will be better. But, if you see they aren't clicking and there's mass transfers, that's another time to cut.

Reactions: Mayoman
I’m not a coach or millionaire so what I think doesn’t count.

I do know, that anybody with what money Satt has already made, and half a brain, could slide down in Division (PRESSURE) and salary, and still be set for life.

Anybody who has to “continue up” is strictly an ego thing as far as I’m concerned.

They already have plenty of money.

Reactions: SoulSr
I’m not a coach or millionaire so what I think doesn’t count.

I do know, that anybody with what money Satt has already made, and half a brain, could slide down in Division (PRESSURE) and salary, and still be set for life.

Anybody who has to “continue up” is strictly an ego thing as far as I’m concerned.

They already have plenty of money.
And coaches with ego are the best. Rick's ego was what made him great. Bobby Knight. Nick Saban. Howard. Not saying all coaches have big egos and are bad people, but a leader of men needs to have the confidence for those to follow. Because in all honesty, if you get into a game you want the best of the best that shoot for the best.

Look at a player. Would you want a guy who's goal is just to be on the team and go to a bowl game, or do you want a kid who is shooting for the NFL, Heisman, national title, etc.? Great players have great aspirations. Like look at our great coaches, they wanted to move up. Bobby wanted to go to the NFL and win a Super Bowl, he wasn't happy with just a Orange Bowl. When he returned to UofL, he had nothing left to gain as he was tarnished. No more big jumps. He had big money. No motivation anymore.

Because I think if a coach comes in and says "ohh geez wellllp UofL is my dream and if we never win a title, that's ok!" I want a guy that thinks he's the best in the world. Charlie embraced Louisville, not because he loved this program, but because he was passed over. He worked his butt off to prove he belonged. He had a fire. And at a program like ours, we aren't a dream job or a job with recruiting potential. We keep getting great coaches that will continue to elevate us.

Howard got us where we were nationally known. John L made us a solid program that competed. Bobby took us to a BSC Bowl and left us in a Power conference. Charlie recruited at an elite level and got us to the ACC. All of those things led to getting a guy like Lamar. We're in a power program and we have money. We have good facilities. Now we need the next guy to prove we belong in the top 25 yearly.

Maybe that next guy will leave, but every step gets you closer to that consistent place we all want to be, where a guy will want to stay forever. Too often program fail because they got butt hurt about a guy leaving and want a committed guy. When a guy gets his dream job, then the motivation isn't as strong. Now at a place like Bama or Florida you can get the dream job and have all the resources to recruit at a high level and you don't have to be as hungry, you can just coach and manage.

Somebody said he might leave on his own

I’m just saying if he’s really the “aw shucks …. “ type, he may decide these bright lights aren’t what He thought it would be.

HE may decide dropping a step in class is his wheelhouse.

I still have to hope he can make himself “wanted by other” here. ;)

Even if he stays and does well he would just bolt for another job. He’s already done that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT