ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches that were mentioned when Satterfield was hired.

OP or anybody else...

Are there any alumni coaching?

I know Ragone has just started his NFL career so wouldn't be any immediate option, but do we have anybody coaching anywhere that might deserve a look?
Jay Gruden should at least be considered. He was a hot commodity in the NFL but has a cloud over him from DC. He’s been coaching arena teams but he has an offensive mind.

One game, even as horrible as it was, is not the time to make any decision on coaching changes. With that said, I must confess, that I have not gotten over Satterfield’s ill-advised pursuit of USC Jr. opening, as I believe it may have a far more lasting affect on our ability to recruit HS kids, particularly local. Tyra needs to sit down and ask Scott what he needs in order to attract the level of talent necessary to compete at this level.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Some coaches can get the job done at one place but fail at the next. Clark Lea made a huge mistake going to Vandy. They're not worth a plug nickel. Long could recruit but ran a pass first offense. BK wanted a run based offense. You could do a lot worse than those two coaches. ND's current DC wants a HC position bad. I wasn't impressed with his defense Sunday night but the man is a recruiting beast. Your right about not firing your coach every two or three years. Look at Stoops. I can guarantee you this; if your coach is looking around in his first year--he's still looking.

One game, even as horrible as it was, is not the time to make any decision on coaching changes. With that said, I must confess, that I have not gotten over Satterfield’s ill-advised pursuit of USC Jr. opening, as I believe it may have a far more lasting affect on our ability to recruit HS kids, particularly local. Tyra needs to sit down and ask Scott what he needs in order to attract the level of talent necessary to compete at this level.
We are not talking about 1 game. We are talking about going a whole spring and summer with no improvement from your QB position. I do understand that it does take at least 3 years to get your guys that you recruit in place but there are other times you know it’s not a good fit. I think it was Krapthorpe’s 1st or 2nd game in year 2 that told me he needed to go. The offense and defense were totally at odds against each other. There was no communication among the coaches. It was an embarrassment. Look we asked to be in P5 conference and that means more than playing bad ACC teams, you have to beat an occasional SEC or Big 10 team.

Avg tenure for a HC is roughly 4 yrs.

This is why I mention trying to find a former player that is coaching to consider.

So either find a long hauler that may not be as accomplished, let them grow into the job, or come to grips with the fact that you will be looking for a new coach every 3-4 years for one reason or another.

EDIT - The example IMO would be Pat Fitzgerald @ Northwestern, that's the type of former player success I'd love to see here. He's been there 15 years! Finished ranked 5 times, been to 10 bowls. They were really bad when he arrived. Yeah, not many examples like that, but that's a program I honestly envy in some ways.

Last edited:
I don't want any part of a former player taking over the program. I think a high major coordinator or Jeff Brohm is our best bet IF we were to move on from Satterfield. Former players or pro coaches with no college experience are just bad ideas and never work out.

High major coordinators already have relationships and name recognition with big time high schools and big time recruits that they can carry over to their new program. The relationship is already there so all thats left to sell is the program.

I don't want any part of a former player taking over the program. I think a high major coordinator or Jeff Brohm is our best bet IF we were to move on from Satterfield. Former players or pro coaches with no college experience are just bad ideas and never work out.
Jeff Brohm is a former player homie

Reactions: PHCARD
Fickell. People say he is just waiting for Ohio State job, well if thats true he wil be waiting a long time cuz Day aint going anywhere. We get Fickell while we can. Even if he bolted after 3 or 4 years it should still put us back in the W column.

Reactions: PHCARD
Fickell. People say he is just waiting for Ohio State job, well if thats true he wil be waiting a long time cuz Day aint going anywhere. We get Fickell while we can. Even if he bolted after 3 or 4 years it should still put us back in the W column.
Our chance to get Fickell was 3 years ago, he's not leaving top 10 Cincy for Louisville. Fickell's next job will be for a powerhouse. He's on the list of the big programs now.

And that's not saying Cincy is a better job, if he had to choose going from being the OC at Ohio State and choosing Louisville or Cincy, he'd choose Louisville. But he's the hottest commodity in the Group of 5 right now and he'll have all kinds of offers with USC, Michigan, and Nebraska all probably coming open. (Although I don't think he's leave for Michigan). Not to mention James Franklin could leave his job and Penn State come open?

It's like when Charlie was at Louisville, he wasn't leaving us for just any job. Yeah Tennessee was a better job than us when he was offered, but overall he knew that it wasn't a big jump and it was a harder situation. He left for a Texas sized prize. Bobby flirted for several jobs, but he left for a NFL job. John L Smith left for Michigan State. Howard went to Oklahoma.

I'm pretty sure switching coaches every 3-4 years isn't the answer either.
Going back to the original post, switching coaches every 3-4 years actually is the reality because that is the nature of the business nationally. The avg tenure is 4 years nationally. Louisville follows that timeline dating back to Ron Cooper. Basically 3 yrs if you are canned, 4 or 5 if successful, averaging out to switching coaches every 3-4 years for one reason or another.

If you're hoping for a Saban or a Dabo or are wanting to be tOSU good luck so is everybody else. Everybody wants to be #1 yeah. If that's your aspiration cool I just don't think that's all that reasonable. Even ND fans are torn on their guy he's been there a decade and they are ND.

I think coming to grips with the nature of the beast and who Louisville football is needs to be considered.

I kind of agree, would like to break that cycle, just about the only way I can see that happening is if you bring in a former player with some coaching interest that is tied to the program already as a former player, and be willing to eat some bad years with the good.

If not that direction, the carousel is inevitable.

Reactions: BPGhost
Going back to the original post, switching coaches every 3-4 years actually is the reality because that is the nature of the business nationally. The avg tenure is 4 years nationally. Louisville follows that timeline dating back to Ron Cooper. Basically 3 yrs if you are canned, 4 or 5 if successful, averaging out to switching coaches every 3-4 years for one reason or another.

If you're hoping for a Saban or a Dabo or are wanting to be tOSU good luck so is everybody else. Everybody wants to be #1 yeah. If that's your aspiration cool I just don't think that's all that reasonable. Even ND fans are torn on their guy he's been there a decade and they are ND.

I think coming to grips with the nature of the beast and who Louisville football is needs to be considered.

I kind of agree, would like to break that cycle, just about the only way I can see that happening is if you bring in a former player with some coaching interest that is tied to the program already as a former player, and be willing to eat some bad years with the good.

If not that direction, the carousel is inevitable.
Or get someone good enough that builds slow where they won't be wanted by the big schools, but stay long enough to build something that last. That's what UK got with Stoops. He's elevated them to a good level where they can compete every week and are no longer a doormat, and every so often put a pretty decent team. But, he's not good enough to get a Michigan, Ohio State, etc. job and UK pays him well enough where those Nebraska type jobs just aren't worth the pressure of losing comfort.

Our issue is that our guys like Charlie and Bobby were too good too quick where Texas and NFL came calling and that's just impossible to hold off. Had Charlie just waited until like year 5 to have that Sugar Bowl type year following several 6, 7, 8 win years, then the big dogs wouldn't have wanted him and we would've been fighting Tennessee type schools.

Or get someone good enough that builds slow where they won't be wanted by the big schools, but stay long enough to build something that last. That's what UK got with Stoops. He's elevated them to a good level where they can compete every week and are no longer a doormat, and every so often put a pretty decent team. But, he's not good enough to get a Michigan, Ohio State, etc. job and UK pays him well enough where those Nebraska type jobs just aren't worth the pressure of losing comfort.

Our issue is that our guys like Charlie and Bobby were too good too quick where Texas and NFL came calling and that's just impossible to hold off. Had Charlie just waited until like year 5 to have that Sugar Bowl type year following several 6, 7, 8 win years, then the big dogs wouldn't have wanted him and we would've been fighting Tennessee type schools.
He's considered somewhat successful for a perennial bottom feeding program, which they've been traditionally. They have finished ranked once in his 8 years. Louisville has had too much success the previous couple decades for the fans to have that low of an expectation. UK is literally like, ok. Like, average. They had a losing record last year. I get it, schedule. They are probably better this year. They are currently drilling Louisville last couple of years because Louisville is not average. UK will probably enter the polls. May stay, may not. They are still perceived to be an average at best program nationally. So no, I don't think that's what UofL fans seek, to be average, or a little better than that. Not to dive to deep into them, but you brought them up.

In nearly all instances if your coach is doing something special, other programs and/or the NFL are looking at the coach. And, they go for it.

He's considered somewhat successful for a perennial bottom feeding program, which they've been traditionally. They have finished ranked once in his 8 years. Louisville has had too much success the previous couple decades for the fans to have that low of an expectation. UK is literally like, ok. Like, average. They had a losing record last year. I get it, schedule. They are probably better this year. They are currently drilling Louisville last couple of years because Louisville is not average. UK will probably enter the polls. May stay, may not. They are still perceived to be an average at best program nationally. So no, I don't think that's what UofL fans seek, to be average, or a little better than that. Not to dive to deep into them, but you brought them up.

In nearly all instances if your coach is doing something special, other programs and/or the NFL are looking at the coach. And, they go for it.
But now we have to take in consideration that we can't just easily finish ranked like we did in the Big East and AAC anymore either. Putting money into the program and finding the right guy was easier when we were facing WVU, Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Temple, USF, UCF, Memphis and Cuse.

We had success on the lower level and now we've moved up. I mean look at Miami since joining the ACC. They have been to 1 BCS/New Year's 6 Bowl game since joining and only 1 division title, which was the same year. And to be clear Miami has been in the weaker division and the ACC has been down, until FSU won the title in 2013 and Clemson after the conference had 0 threats to win the title. Va Tech has taken advantage of the down ACC, but they haven't had a top 10 finish since 2007 and they were a title contender in the old Big East.

It's not that we're competing against elite programs, but it's much harder than it looks. We just see NC State, Wake, Virginia, BC, Ga Tech type programs as middling and not that good from the outside, but having to compete weekly with them and see them, we've moved into their level.

In the ACC, the talent is much stronger and every team has good talent. A good scheme or coach can't just turn it around like the Big East. Every program has money for coaches and facilities.

For example, in 2011 we were #29 overall in recruiting. That was good for #1 in the Big East and a significant advantage over the rest of the league. That was a historic class for us, and in the ACC that year it would've only been good enough for 5th and it wouldn't have been that close to the top 3 classes in the league. That's why it's harder. We have a full schedule against tough teams that are all competent now.

But now we have to take in consideration that we can't just easily finish ranked like we did in the Big East and AAC anymore either. Putting money into the program and finding the right guy was easier when we were facing WVU, Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, Temple, USF, UCF, Memphis and Cuse.

We had success on the lower level and now we've moved up. I mean look at Miami since joining the ACC. They have been to 1 BCS/New Year's 6 Bowl game since joining and only 1 division title, which was the same year. And to be clear Miami has been in the weaker division and the ACC has been down, until FSU won the title in 2013 and Clemson after the conference had 0 threats to win the title. Va Tech has taken advantage of the down ACC, but they haven't had a top 10 finish since 2007 and they were a title contender in the old Big East.

It's not that we're competing against elite programs, but it's much harder than it looks. We just see NC State, Wake, Virginia, BC, Ga Tech type programs as middling and not that good from the outside, but having to compete weekly with them and see them, we've moved into their level.

In the ACC, the talent is much stronger and every team has good talent. A good scheme or coach can't just turn it around like the Big East. Every program has money for coaches and facilities.

For example, in 2011 we were #29 overall in recruiting. That was good for #1 in the Big East and a significant advantage over the rest of the league. That was a historic class for us, and in the ACC that year it would've only been good enough for 5th and it wouldn't have been that close to the top 3 classes in the league. That's why it's harder. We have a full schedule against tough teams that are all competent now.
Cards have been in this league 8 years. They have had a losing record twice. Once when Petrino 2.0 mailed it in, and once under the current regime last year. Louisville didn't join the ACC a couple years ago. They've had plenty of success in it. They shouldn't win 'em all. But, I'm not buying what you're selling. Sorry. It's ok to disagree. The program should not have a losing record in this league. Period. If you think that's okay, your bar is set low, and set lower than most people posting here and some UofL fans out there not posting here that are deciding what they are going to do this Saturday instead of going to the EKU game.

What should be concerning is the league is bad right now. Real bad. It's a laughing stock. And the Cards are contributing to that demise, and coming off a 3-7 in it and the other night teeth pulling should be concerning.

The program is trending in a bad direction. It's not a closed door on Satt yet, but he's on the hot seat. He could turn it around in a few weeks everybody posting here hopes he does. If he does, he could leave on his own terms when the year is over, and the Cards could still probably be looking for a new coach. That might be for the best, then they don't have to try to figure out how to pay a buy-out.

Maybe Satt changes my mind. I'm for it.

I think Louisville fans are a bit jaded by what success looks like or at least what success should look like at most schools.

Louisville has had a weird and winding road to being football relevant. Its been built on having a major basketball program and fighting our way up the ranks in football. Louisville was what Cincy is now but we did that for what? 25 years? Louisville football was been that "best non-power 5" school for a while then the Big East was a thing for a short time and they got a little respect and then finally - the ACC.

So Louisville's idea of success has been win big in small to medium situations - through CUSA, Big East, lose the coach after 3-5 years and try to repeat the level of success and lose the coach again. Louisville is where it is as a football program because they were able to lose coaches and keep winning because of their schedule. Louisville stayed an attractive place to come coach because it was a way for guys to win and get the attention of bigger jobs and move on.

Louisville has never had an era of maintained success or even maintained mediocrity. Louisville is typically either bad or pretty freaking good.

Ron Cooper '95-'97 - 13-20
John L ' 98-'02 - 41-21
Petrino - '03-'06 - 41-9
Kragthorpe - '07-'09 - 15-21
Strong - '10-'13 - 37-15
Petrino - 14'-18 - 36-26

Louisville has made 7 coaching changes since 1994. Once every 3.8 years

The idea of a coach struggling through his first 3-4 years and establishing himself is not something Louisville fans are familiar with. Louisville plays with the big boys now. This team could probably go 9-3 in the AAC or CUSA - but Satterfield doesn't have the same luxury that Petrino or John L had. Louisville has never had a staff build and maintain long lasting recruiting relationships. Louisville has never had a coach weather any sort of downswing during their tenure - at Louisville you don't get an opportunity to right your wrong - you're fired.

Fans and the administration need to understand that a coach can not come into this program and do the things that we are used to. They simply can't. Louisville isn't a recruiting juggernaut, we don't have the state or local talent base and Louisville's best efforts in recruiting has historically put them right in the middle of the ACC rankings. You can't win the way Louisville fans expect you to win and win right out of the gate like that. No coach can come in and overhaul the roster with better players and establish trust and rapport with regional talent in a year or two. No Louisville doesn't play in the SEC but they still have to recruit and play against Clemson, FSU, Miami, Va Tech, NC State, UNC - all schools that are equal to or better than UofL nearly every year.

I don't know if Satterfield is the guy. I don't know how to determine that either. I know the guy is a highly respected coach, he turned around a terrible roster in year 1 and didn't have great success in year two but also had COVID issues and players quitting because of COVID. But the idea that in year 3 and in the ACC that we should be booting him out the door because he can't win 8 or 9 games is a little crazy too especially considering the state of the roster when he took over and the fact that he can't just recruit elite talent to replace everyone with. Maybe Louisville fans have to settle for a few consecutive 6, 7, 8 win seasons while he builds the recruiting and establishes the brand of Louisville football - thats something we as fans or the program in general have never seen.

Cards have had a winning record in the ACC 4 of 7 years so far, and were .500 another year. with a guy they fired. They were added with the expectation they would add value to the league and improve it's overall standing in the sport as a league, not added to contribute to the league's slippin' reputation.

I respect these programs I do. But they didn't join the SEC or NFC West, after playing in D2. That Big East with a good WVU and competitive Rutgers isn't THAT far off this current ACC. It just wasn't that big of a jump. The immediate success in the ACC supports that?

Cards shouldn't run the league, or always be a contender. They are off a 3-7, they were predicted to be near the bottom and nothing Monday night convinced fans the pundits were wrong.

What attendance are you guys expecting vs EKU?

Cards have had a winning record in the ACC 4 of 7 years so far, and were .500 another year. with a guy they fired. They were added with the expectation they would add value to the league and improve it's overall standing in the sport as a league, not added to contribute to the league's slippin' reputation.

I respect these programs I do. But they didn't join the SEC or NFC West, after playing in D2. That Big East with a good WVU and competitive Rutgers isn't THAT far off this current ACC. It just wasn't that big of a jump. The immediate success in the ACC supports that?

Cards shouldn't run the league, or always be a contender. They are off a 3-7, they were predicted to be near the bottom and nothing Monday night convinced fans the pundits were wrong.

What attendance are you guys expecting vs EKU?
We had a guy that built a strong roster from 2010-2013. He got the kids in early and built them up over that time. Beat up and built momentum in a smaller league. And then we made the jump to the ACC and we looked like we belonged in year 1, but we conveniently forget that year 2 was going south before Lamar. I mean we probably are 7-5 in 2015 if Lamar isn't there, we're probably 6-6.

Year 3 we looked amazing because we had the best player in college history. We were 9-3, without Lamar we probably would've been 7-5. Year 4 we went 8-4 and without Lamar it probably would've been 6-6 or worse. He leaves along with Jaire and it's 2-10, although if Bobby tried harder it would've been like 4-8.

Look at our health as a program without Lamar taken into consideration? The 2014 group had the 3rd most draft picks, after that group left we really were just a 7-5 type team that Lamar elevated. I mean in our Sugar Bowl Year of the Cardinal, we got their on a tiebreaker with losses to Syracuse and UConn on our schedule. It wasn't even easy then.

I just think we all so quickly forget how ugly it was looking in 2015 and how frustrated we were in 2017. We had Lamar, but overall we haven't been some 9 win type solid program since that 2014 group. We're pretty much the same as Wake, BC, UVA, Pitt, and NC State. All fighting for the middle tier and we just need to realize it's not easy. Build a strong base and then hope when the Lamar/Teddy/PArker type talents come along, it elevates us again.

Reactions: EKYCard643
I understand the let the cake bake position, the grass isn't always greener, we're playing big boy football now, etc. I'm not saying "You are wrong" nor am I saying fire him now. Yes, let's see what is going on here at the end of the year. What I am saying is after 3 years this is the evaluation zone on all coaches, and year 3 ain't off to a roaring start. The dude spent the off season pursuing other jobs. Fans ain't happy. Fans are not inspired by this situation.

What I am saying is this program is really down right now, and the attendance for the EKU game is not going to be too good. Things can change, and if they do I'd be very up for discussing that ha!

NCST, WF, or GT don’t create excitement for 45% of our fans. Hell Clemson won’t get a full house if the weathers bad or the St James art fair is on.

EKU wasn’t going to draw regardless what happened Monday. It will give another 10% an excuse in their eyes.

I understand the let the cake bake position, the grass isn't always greener, we're playing big boy football now, etc. I'm not saying "You are wrong" nor am I saying fire him now. Yes, let's see what is going on here at the end of the year. What I am saying is after 3 years this is the evaluation zone on all coaches, and year 3 ain't off to a roaring start. The dude spent the off season pursuing other jobs. Fans ain't happy. Fans are not inspired by this situation.

What I am saying is this program is really down right now, and the attendance for the EKU game is not going to be too good. Things can change, and if they do I'd be very up for discussing that ha!
Fans are down and fans aren't happy with Satterfield, thats a point we can all agree on. I pretty much give him a mulligan on last year. Players quit, COVID ruined the season, the moral, players were hurt, he still had attitudes from the Petrino era....honestly the problem Satterfield and this staff ran into is all self inflicted - they hyped this team too much. Had they tempered expectations then I don't think many fans would have been as angry about Monday night. To brag all Summer about the progress units were making only to see everything they sold us on - not be true, really pissed people off. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting beat by Ole Miss in the first game of the year. So what Vince and the athletic administration needs to figure out is: Is this staff incompetent? Either this staff doesn't know what good football players look like and were fooled all Summer or they were vastly underprepared with what Ole Miss was going to do and therefore the players were unprepared on how to counter what Ole Miss was doing or the players simply aren't that good and that was combined with a faulty gameplan lead to the results of Monday night.

I lean toward the latter. I think Louisville had a talent vacuum and I think the staff was outcoached. Just because they were outcoached doesn't mean they can't learn from this mistake. It doesn't make this staff a bad staff or a staff that needs to be fired. It better be and it needs to be a game they learn from.

I personally think Satterfield's biggest issue is his unimaginative playcalling. You have to outscheme and outcoach teams that have more talent. You can't run stretch run plays 40% of the time with an OLine thats been a problem for the last decade and expect to put your QB in great situations. I would rather get beat down by 50 calling interesting plays than lose by 14 being conservative as hell. Open the playbook. There are hundreds of plays that can "hide" bad oline play and inexperience at the WR spot.

NCST, WF, or GT don’t create excitement for 45% of our fans. Hell Clemson won’t get a full house if the weathers bad or the St James art fair is on.

EKU wasn’t going to draw regardless what happened Monday. It will give another 10% an excuse in their eyes.
Gonna disagree about EKY attendance theory, they beat Ole Miss or take em' to the wire with a list of positives you're seeing a different turnout than what you're going to see Saturday.

That said....

It is also possible COVID fear just crushes attendance also no matter what this team looks like all year.

Bottom line, ain't nobody fired up about some UofL football right now.

Reactions: Rollem Cards

That’s because 50% of our fans don’t think we will beat those teams and nobody right now thinks we could come within 30 pts of Clemson..

Let's let the year play out.
I agree with this because it’s game 1. However, I don’t agree with everything Jurich did or thought, but he always said he kept a active list of next up, what if coaches. If Tyra didn’t start one, the minute Satterfield entertained USC, then he’s not the right guy for the job.

Reactions: BPGhost
That’s because 50% of our fans don’t think we will beat those teams and nobody right now thinks we could come within 30 pts of Clemson..
That's the hardest part of realignment.

The Big East was a good conference, not great, but good. We had WVU & Cincy as rivals. Even Rutgers and Pitt were fun games. Not to mention stomping sUcKs to start the year. We were the top dog in a good conference and then we viewed those programs like Wake and NC State as just average because they're never ranked.

Then we come into a conference with those programs where we don't really share much in common. We aren't traditional rivals with any of those teams. We no longer are a top dog and the programs we viewed as average, are actually on our level in the Power 5.

I mean in the ACC Clemson is the big name and FSU is a brand, but after that? Who is our rival?
BC, Wake, Cuse, & NC State are our divisional rivals and I mean what's our history and are they exciting? UVA as a permanent rival?

I mean I would like the other division better to be honest. Miami, UNC, & Va Tech would be fun and winnable games as they aren't Clemson/FSU. Pitt, Ga Tech, & Duke feel like we have more history with them for some reason.

I agree with this because it’s game 1. However, I don’t agree with everything Jurich did or thought, but he always said he kept a active list of next up, what if coaches. If Tyra didn’t start one, the minute Satterfield entertained USC, then he’s not the right guy for the job.
I believe Tyra is a place holder, his contract is up pretty soon and not pretending to have inside scoop it just wouldn't surprise me if he didn't return when his contract expired.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Stoops had amazing support from Barnhart, and EVERY SEC coach has remarked on that. Kentucky didnt have an overall winning record until his 5th year. The deathbed of coaches some called it.
Then again, theres a lot of things figured into that tenure....not the least of it couldn't get much worse than when Phillip's was there.
A lot of fans downplay the success pointing to different things....fact is, Kentucky used to lose regularly to teams like WKU (and did under Stoops),
Middle Tennessee, Toledo and a scad more.
You guys built success on a good bunch of local kids and a real strong pipeline to Florida....but those were P5 prospects.
Petrino pretty much neglected the defensive side of recruiting as far as the front 7, and the guy you have now .... I'm not sold he is a great recruiter.

I'll do another take about why I don't think Satt was the right guy, which was my reason for wanting Fickell 2 years ago.

Charlie came in after being at big programs like Florida and Notre Dame. Coached under Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz, Ron Zook, & Urban Meyer. He knew what a big time program looked like and we had the money to invest in that vision. He recruited the lines and defense strong and knew how to develop a Power 5 program. He hit on some recruits and built us up. We were dominant in the Big East and AAC and ready for a Power 5 jump.

Bobby? Well Bobby came into Louisville and dominated CUSA and the Big East and then cut out, also he was familiar with John L's guys as he was an OC here before. His time at Arkansas was the same, but he did have some good talent. And at a place like Arkansas, you'll have good talent all around you and they had the infrastructure in place to just get talent. Bobby just had to coach.

When Bobby came back, we thought he was a power 5 mind that could continue the transition, but the problem was he wasn't a CEO. He hired all his own guys and tried to do it all. Todd Grahntham was the only big time coach, but Bobby threw him out. Bobby didn't know how to manage things like having coaches that could build relationships to recruit and also guys that could train. He didn't know that he needed a full staff and operation like a business, it was in place at Arkansas, but not at UofL. I mean those SEC programs have everything together, the training staff is it's own entity, the recruiting coaches and analysts work their own places and build even rosters, the coordinators are like HC's of their own side. Tom Jurich shielded Bobby, but when he was gone it was over.

So now to Scott? He never coached at a Power 5 school. He's been basically at App State forever. The culture was already built in and he just had to walk in and keep it going. He doesn't have the relationships in the recruiting field or coaching circles to get. He's never seen what it takes to win at this level. That's why a guy like Stoops, Strong, Fickell, etc. are good because they know how to at least build a program up and can model success. Scott is just building a roster now and developing skill, but my worry is that this level is just a step up from a CEO standpoint.

Right but I meant a former player who had coached in the pros (Ragone, Gruden) or just a former player with no coaching experience (Bush, Branch, Douglas, Wood, etc.) Brohm's a former player who's been a HC for like a decade now and a P5 coach for 5 years.
Honestly, I'd love to have Ragone or Gruden. The guys with no experience I agree would like to see them moving up as assistants etc.

Glanced thru some old threads - what is really interesting, and some of you guys may or may not remember, but many posters ITT (not me) were not on board with the hiring of Satterfield. I actually thought he would be okay (looks like I did not nail it LOL!), I mean I was neutral pretty much.

Some posters were pretty critical. A few said they would not renew tickets. Others compared him to SK.

Guys that appear to have nailed it... Knucklehank, Lefors4ever, NCAAcardfan, the OP...you guys weren't overboard mean about it but you were not impressed. Hank you straight up said it was a bad hire LOL... Lefors you acted like it was medicine, you really didn't want it but you said you'd support him because you're a fan. NCAAcardfan you pointed out recruiting concerns among other things that ended up being correct.

You guys actually had reservations and listed them. You really didn't have much enthusiasm for the guy, and it looks like y'all were correct.

It's odd, y'all seem to have more interest in him NOW than you did then. Some of you do. I think others have had enough maybe.

Life is weird. Love the chats!

Last edited:
Well I mean he's the current coach, so I want him to succeed more than not succeed. I was fine with him being hired, and was certainly against paying Jeff Brohm $6M/year (the rumored offer at the time, that's just crazy high). Satterfield costs half that much and makes a lot easier if you gotta FARRR that sonofabeyitch.

Reactions: CardVille
I absolutely agree but college football is one of, if not the hardest sport to get results quickly...and yes, even year 3 is considered quickly in my book.

I won't apologize for the way the team looked. Thats on him. Thats the worst they've looked in his entire tenure in my opinion. That was worse than the UK beatdowns. He has to look better moving forward. The mistakes and the lack of take aways are again very bad. His teams continue to turn it over far, far too often and Bryan Browns defenses continue to not produce any take aways. This tells me something is off - guys are too lazy with the ball and guys aren't in good enough shape or smart enough to be in the best position to cause turnovers. Its a problem. There needs to be strides made even if they're small. If this team limps to a 4-5 win season then yeah...lets talk then. How'd they look? Unprepared? Uninspired? No turnovers forced? Still losing 1-2 fumbles a game and throwing 1-2 picks every game? If this is true then yeah, maybe we move on.
Well unfortunately you're not the athletic director. It seems that a good amount of A.D.'s don't consider year 3 that early too start expecting results. It isn't considered quickly in their book. I'm definitely not into getting rid of him right now. Again at the end of the year look at what's going on, unless we fall off and have some 2018 performances, then maybe fire mid season. But ya the 2nd half was better, now whether that was more of Ole miss letting off or if our adjustments were working, who knows. But maybe we can start like that from now on. I'm still gonna watch but ya I think him just SHOWING SOME DAMN EMOTION would go a long way with this fan base. Get Pissed! Get mad about how your team played, stop being their friend and be their leader. If they see you getting mad over there and showing emotion then it will transfer to the players and they'll hopefully start playing with some edge and get mad too. We need that us against the world mentality. Bobby had no problem getting angry on the sideline and he had a few good seasons with us and one REALLY bad one lol. But ya that last one everyone was checked out. The Bobby 1.0 had real emotion and we played with it then too, it was US vs. Everybody then for sure, we had to make a name for ourselves. But ya the aww shucks attitude after a defeat and showing like that is gonna go over like a lead balloon over here. Talking about how well the second half we looked better... like are you kidding me. It just reminds me of like a millennial parent, instead of showing them how the world works or allowing them to see it themselves, he just tries to coddle them and keep them safe. By that I mean like trying to shift the discussion to what we did got and what to look forward to and stuff after a game like that. Apparently we practice with no contact also to keep us healthy. Well that back fired, we're healthy but we're horrible at tackling and don't go 100% cause we've practiced at 80% all off season. I don't care about our 20 whatever points we scored in the 2nd half after they had 26 before we did anything. I couldn't tell you the final cause I quit watching. That's the one thing you don't want is fans turning the game off and stop caring. I hate that, it happened during kragthorpe era and it was the worst time, I had nothing to look forward too during the fall.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I wrote a big huge comment about how 3 years in is long enough to expect results from a coach and how Satterfield was on his way to failing that, but I didn't even get to the recruiting, that's the elephant in the room cause it is exactly what is gonna keep us at 4 or 5 win team if we're lucky for years to come and the longer we're like that the harder it is to come back from. We literally had a Heisman here 5 years ago and was ranked 3rd in the nation. We still have a little bit of relevant stuff that we need to act on and use immediately before we become the new "old"(unfortunately)Kentucky with a 6 win ceiling.

Year 3, regardless of the circumstances, is when a team under a "new" HC shows signs of improvement. It's entirely Satt's program now. You all can keep making excuses, but the CFB business model proves otherwise. Get it done year 3, or you're out. It's a long season. Anything is possible. But there were zero signs of hope last night.
Does the model include a COVID year. I’m not sure he’s the right guy but 4 years is always the model I’ve heard. His recruiting must improve or next year I predict will be his last. Especially with former players speaking out against him. I hope he turns it around because we can’t afford firing another coach for dollar reasons or time. It would set the program back years.

Satterfield needs some positive vibes vs UCF and/or FSU hoping the squad delivers. It is true it is a long season and his first year was solid.

That's the one thing you don't want is fans turning the game off and stop caring. I hate that, it happened during kragthorpe era and it was the worst time, I had nothing to look forward too during the fall.

Well that's not true. The coming of Fall means the end of Summer, which means no more #swampass. I hate #swampass and it's nice to walk from my parked care to my office and not be drenched from sweat.

Reactions: katfanuno
Satterfield needs some positive vibes vs UCF and/or FSU hoping the squad delivers. It is true it is a long season and his first year was solid.
I think he needs more than positive vibes. EKU is a no win situation for him....look amazing, people will say its just EKU. Not kill them hard enough or look amazing enough and people will continue to complain. With how bad the team looked on Monday he absolutely has to win one of the UCF/FSU games and he has to at worst look good losing the other one. If the team travels to Wake Forest at 1-3 its going to get real bad, real quick. There could be a real scenario play out where Louisville only beats EKU, Cuse and Duke because if they start 1-3 the snowball could start rolling because Wake and UVA are certainly good enough to beat Louisville and put them at 1-5 and then they get Boston College, NC State and Clemson. BC is a 50/50 game and NC State/Clemson were probable losses before Monday night so they could be 1-8 going into CUSE, Duke UK final stretch. If the team is bad enough that they only win 3 or 4 games then UK is going to absolutely put their feet on our throats and stomp. Plus if they go into that game 3-8 then 70% of that stadium is going to be UK fans. There's absolutely no way to survive this season if CSS only wins 3-4 games and ends the season being beat down by UK for the 3rd straight year.

It cannot be stressed enough how important these next 3 weeks are for Satterfield's tenure at Louisville.

Glanced thru some old threads - what is really interesting, and some of you guys may or may not remember, but many posters ITT (not me) were not on board with the hiring of Satterfield. I actually thought he would be okay (looks like I did not nail it LOL!), I mean I was neutral pretty much.

Some posters were pretty critical. A few said they would not renew tickets. Others compared him to SK.

Guys that appear to have nailed it... Knucklehank, Lefors4ever, NCAAcardfan, the OP...you guys weren't overboard mean about it but you were not impressed. Hank you straight up said it was a bad hire LOL... Lefors you acted like it was medicine, you really didn't want it but you said you'd support him because you're a fan. NCAAcardfan you pointed out recruiting concerns among other things that ended up being correct.

You guys actually had reservations and listed them. You really didn't have much enthusiasm for the guy, and it looks like y'all were correct.

It's odd, y'all seem to have more interest in him NOW than you did then. Some of you do. I think others have had enough maybe.

Life is weird. Love the chats!
My reservations are the same and I feel the same, but I know that we cannot afford to start over. It's more from seeing the messes at Tennessee and Nebraska from turnover. That's generally the case. Our issue now is trying to get a good program built and for now I think Scott can get us a decent base of a roster. And either he succeeds or he hands it off in good shape for the next guy to get started.

The thing that we can do well is that we have the money to pay for a good staff. Not a Bama or Clemson staff, but a really strong Power 5 staff. That's why I wish we'd hire an old P5 coach as Director of Football ops or something so they can really show us what it takes as we don't have the right infrastructure. It has to become a Football Inc. with more detailed hires in different levels, rather than just a football team.

Bobby didn't transition us well from G5 football to Power 5 structure, and Scott himself entered as a G5 coach that has no idea about Power 5 structure.

I think he needs more than positive vibes. EKU is a no win situation for him....look amazing, people will say its just EKU. Not kill them hard enough or look amazing enough and people will continue to complain. With how bad the team looked on Monday he absolutely has to win one of the UCF/FSU games and he has to at worst look good losing the other one. If the team travels to Wake Forest at 1-3 its going to get real bad, real quick. There could be a real scenario play out where Louisville only beats EKU, Cuse and Duke because if they start 1-3 the snowball could start rolling because Wake and UVA are certainly good enough to beat Louisville and put them at 1-5 and then they get Boston College, NC State and Clemson. BC is a 50/50 game and NC State/Clemson were probable losses before Monday night so they could be 1-8 going into CUSE, Duke UK final stretch. If the team is bad enough that they only win 3 or 4 games then UK is going to absolutely put their feet on our throats and stomp. Plus if they go into that game 3-8 then 70% of that stadium is going to be UK fans. There's absolutely no way to survive this season if CSS only wins 3-4 games and ends the season being beat down by UK for the 3rd straight year.

It cannot be stressed enough how important these next 3 weeks are for Satterfield's tenure at Louisville.
Well yeah. He needs wins. He is on the hot seat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT