ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: Chubba Watch 2.0: UPDATED 12/18 8:30AM

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
Sorry the last post got to bogged down so let's try this again. We are talking about Chubba Purdy here. If you go off topic I'm going to delete your post. If you have something other than Chubba start your own thread.

Update 8:30AM 12/18
Multiple Louisville sources have express concern that Purdy is going to flip. They haven’t been told straight up that he’s gone but that’s the vibe.

Update: 1:45AM 12/18
Late night developments in the Purdy drama are circulating. I reached out to my best source in Arizona. He is plugged in to the Arizona recruiting scene the way I am here in Kentucky. He reached out to the person closest to the situation whose last name isn't Purdy and was told that "it's fluid." I'm not going to editorialize that information. Take it as you will.

Update: 8:10Pm 12/17

No one knows anything but Louisville feels confident they have held off FSU per my last conversation at 6:30. I'm sticking with my pick that Purdy signs with Louisville but it's pins and needles until the LOI comes in tomorrow.

Chubba Purdy: Louisville

He will make his pick at 3:15 our time. These things rarely happen on time so don't worry if it's 4:30 and he still hasn't announced.

UPDATE 2:35 PM 12/17
I've spoken with a few commits, two of whom are receivers and Purdy told them "not to worry" and also that he "is most likely staying with Louisville."

I also reached out to one of my contacts in Arizona who told me: "Latest is that he is still deciding. I know that’s not helpful, but it’s all I have right now."

Louisville remains confident that they will sign him.

There is some good news for Cards' fans in that report but there is also some language that raises some concern. It sounds to me that FSU has given him something to think about but it may not be enough to overcome the relationship he has established with Louisville.

Original Post: Friday, 13, 2019:
Here we go again. The first Chubba watch was a huge success on this board. It broke all kinds of viewership records and received excellent ratings. Now look at us, back here again just five days and a wake up from the first day of the early signing period and the Chubba watch is back. The catalyst for CW2 originated at 11:30PM our time, 8:30PM Chubba time, when sports360az.com published this article saying 4-star Louisville commit Chubba Purdy would travel to Florida State for an official visit. There are also rumors of UCLA head coach Chip Kelly making an in-home visit to the Purdy residence. So why the late push from these outside programs?

Florida State's interest in Chubba Purdy makes sense. First, they haven't signed a QB the last two cycles. Second, the just hired Mike Norvell to replace Willie Taggart. Third, Norvell told Sandalwood QB and former FSU commit Jeff Sims that his scholarship offer was withdrawn. In summation, FSU has signed zero QB's the past two years, they have a new head coach, and that new coach just told the QB who was ready to sign with them to take a hike.

I was told by a very good source in Arizona that new Norvell and new FSU offense coordinator Kenny Dillingham called Purdy a few days again to gauge his interest in Florida State. Obviously things progressed rapidly and now he is scheduled to land in Tallahassee this evening. My guy in Arizona also told me that when Kenny Dillingham left Arizona State to coach at Memphis he kept in touch with all the top prospects in the desert and Purdy was one of them but he did not specify how often or how recently before this week.

FSU is now targeting three quarterbacks I know of for sure: Chubba Purdy, Tate Rodemaker, and Cade Renfro. I've also hear the name Robby Ashford thrown around but noting solid as far as Norvell reaching out to him. This is important because it may cause an awkward spider man meme effect situation where the players feel like stock in a cattle call. That's the business when a new coach takes over a few days before signing day. It should be easily explained away but in this game it's best to be able to exclaim and you never really want to explain.

My reaction to this development is that what's unfolding is a shotgun blast approach more than a sniper shot. Purdy wasn't being recruited by Memphis when Norvell was there and if he was they didn't offer. The lack of a Memphis offer could be explained away (more 'splainin) by Dillingham leaving after the 2018 to take the offensive coordinator job at Auburn but God's Tigers didn't offer either.

The vibe down on South Floyd is calm. The staff has built a lot of good will over the last seven months with the Purdy's. I was also reminded that Chubba's older brother Brock visited Alabama before ultimately deciding to stick with Iowa State. Louisville has a long standing relationship with Chubba and his family and he's been solidly committed to Louisville since June 21st.

That being said, when your four star quarterback commit is flying across the continent to see a divisional foe there has to be some consternation. Free vacation or not, there is an opportunity to start at FSU as the first QB signed by the brand new head coach and offensive coordinator. Also, the 'Noles haven't signed a QB since shortly after the Trump inauguration, the incumbent starter is the much maligned James Blackman who most fans want to bench for Jordan Travis who threw eight passes last year.

I weighed both sides of the v. here and I find it hard to imagine Purdy flipping to FSU. Good relationships take a lot of work and a long time to cultivate and strong relationships tend to win out in the game of recruiting and to quote my guy in Arizona "This isn't a long game, it's a Hail Mary."

I'll update this thread with any developments I deem significant.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News