ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA and P5 Conferences Agree To Pay Players

And a measured statement from the other power entity in the equation, Notre Dame. President Rev. John Jenkins:

“The settlement, though undesirable in many respects and promising only temporary stability, is necessary to avoid what would be the bankruptcy of college athletics.

"To save the great American institution of college sports, Congress must pass legislation that will preempt the current patchwork of state laws; establish that our athletes are not employees, but students seeking college degrees; and provide protection from further antitrust lawsuits that will allow colleges to make and enforce rules that will protect our student-athletes and help ensure competitive equity among our teams.”

Reactions: CardsFirst
So is it only power5 schools? If so doesn’t that create a canyon size gap between P5 and non P5 schools?

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
So is it only power5 schools? If so doesn’t that create a canyon size gap between P5 and non P5 schools?
And then really creates a gap between the SEC-Big Ten and everyone else. They’re going to be getting $100 million in TV revenue. Their current budgets haven’t adjusted for it yet, so they’ll be able to pay for it.

The money coming to the ACC and Big 12 is less than half of what those 2 are getting. So to keep up, a lot of TV money will go to paying athletes.

The big gap will show in things like coaching salaries, facilities, and non-revenue sports. To keep up with those big 2 leagues, a lot of things we want for women’s basketball, baseball, etc will be harder.

Then there’s the matter of Title 9. I personally don’t think they can force all athletes to get the same amount. Because they aren’t forced to pay coaches of all sports the same or have the same staff sizes.

It’s going to implode at some point and now they want congress to get involved, which unfortunately is probably the only option to stabilize and fix this mess. But my excitement for college sports just isn’t where it use to be and I feel for young coaches like CPK and even established ones like Walz, Brohm, and Mac. What a freaking nightmare between the portal, NIL, and now this.

It’s going to implode at some point and now they want congress to get involved, which unfortunately is probably the only option to stabilize and fix this mess. But my excitement for college sports just isn’t where it use to be and I feel for young coaches like CPK and even established ones like Walz, Brohm, and Mac. What a freaking nightmare between the portal, NIL, and now this.
I agree. I am pretty close to just turning off and tuning out this shit show. Greed and Ego once again have ruined my favorite sport(s) to watch.

Everyone is to blame. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff now for me but I sure can pick and choose my irritants. Game just about over for me.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
Congress will fix this mess? That's funny. When is the last time Congress fixed a mess?

What’s important to keep in mind in all of this is that the paying of players is IN ADDITION to all of be money these athletes can earn in NIL endorsements.

Let that sink in for a moment! 🤔🤪

What’s important to keep in mind in all of this is that the paying of players is IN ADDITION to all of be money these athletes can earn in NIL endorsements.

Let that sink in for a moment! 🤔🤪
let it sink in the ncaa is paying $2.7 billion to settle their fraud they imposed upon athletes. the ncaa has $2.7 billion that they've made off these students and isn't going bankrupt from paying this. let THAT sink in

let it sink in the ncaa is paying $2.7 billion to settle their fraud they imposed upon athletes. the ncaa has $2.7 billion that they've made off these students and isn't going bankrupt from paying this. let THAT sink in
Who said anything about “going bankrupt”?

And then really creates a gap between the SEC-Big Ten and everyone else. They’re going to be getting $100 million in TV revenue. Their current budgets haven’t adjusted for it yet, so they’ll be able to pay for it.

The money coming to the ACC and Big 12 is less than half of what those 2 are getting. So to keep up, a lot of TV money will go to paying athletes.

The big gap will show in things like coaching salaries, facilities, and non-revenue sports. To keep up with those big 2 leagues, a lot of things we want for women’s basketball, baseball, etc will be harder.

Then there’s the matter of Title 9. I personally don’t think they can force all athletes to get the same amount. Because they aren’t forced to pay coaches of all sports the same or have the same staff sizes.
I think the SEC is excluded from this settlement….they were paying their players the entire time!!

You may remember, but back about 15 years ago there was a great database that was called Equity in Athletics. It would list all the revenue and expenses for each public university athletic department each year. It was obvious to me from reviewing that database that most of those athletic departments were each making tens of millions of dollars of profit each year off of athletics.

It certainly doesn’t surprise me at all that the NCAA has $2.8 billion to throw around.

Who said anything about “going bankrupt”?
that's the point, you;re talking about money the kids are going to be making and i'm saying the ncaa somehow has billions to pay, and won;t go bankrupt from paying $2.7 billion, and yet they could never afford to pay athletes? so why complain when the kids are going to be paid when the ncaa has prevented them from making money while raking in billions for itself. it's like when people complain that pro athletes make too much money but no one complains that the owner rapes the cities of it's tax money, and make 10x as much as the players. yet it's always the workers who get ridiculed for making what they are worth, and no one bitches about the owners raking in the dough off their backs. so please don;t complain about the money kids will make when their coaches, schools and ncaa has used them to generate billions of their backs. so again, let that sink in that the ncaa has so much money made of their amateurs that they can pay billions. and if you rad the news, which obviously you don't, the reason the ncaa actually settled was because the legal case against them would actually cost mutli tens of billions and thus they'd go bankrupt but spending 2 or 3 billion won't and that's what's scary. that somehow over the last 50 years there was no way to pay student because the ncaa couldn;t afford it and yet, now somehow they can,

that's the point, you;re talking about money the kids are going to be making and i'm saying the ncaa somehow has billions to pay, and won;t go bankrupt from paying $2.7 billion, and yet they could never afford to pay athletes? so why complain when the kids are going to be paid when the ncaa has prevented them from making money while raking in billions for itself. it's like when people complain that pro athletes make too much money but no one complains that the owner rapes the cities of it's tax money, and make 10x as much as the players. yet it's always the workers who get ridiculed for making what they are worth, and no one bitches about the owners raking in the dough off their backs. so please don;t complain about the money kids will make when their coaches, schools and ncaa has used them to generate billions of their backs. so again, let that sink in that the ncaa has so much money made of their amateurs that they can pay billions. and if you rad the news, which obviously you don't, the reason the ncaa actually settled was because the legal case against them would actually cost mutli tens of billions and thus they'd go bankrupt but spending 2 or 3 billion won't and that's what's scary. that somehow over the last 50 years there was no way to pay student because the ncaa couldn;t afford it and yet, now somehow they can,
I don’t care enough about your opinion to read stone script. Who’s complaining?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT