ADVERTISEMENT

CDP

I don't think Zipp is actually saying retain Padgett because of his coaching ability, he's just saying the alternatives probably aren't affordable and the program is in quicksand for a few years anyway. That part of his argument isn't so bad really.
No - he’s saying he’s rather keep Padgett than have the current regime make another - presumably - long term hire.

It's all about pedigree and Padgett comes from that background. Not saying that is the only factor, but it is A factor. I like the young man and I personally hope he does well enough to get the chance to have the interim tag removed. I know your stance regarding CDP and I respect it. We can simply agree to disagree on whether he should be given the job full time or not. He's getting his shot and I'm pulling for him to succeed.

Go CARDS!!!!
Well I’m certainly not pulling for him to fail Cue and he still has the rest of the season to prove that he deserves to be considered. It’s nothing personal against the guy - as I’ve said a blue million times - he’s seems like a great kid.

I get the pedigree part - I just think it’s overblown. It’s overblown in Nick Petrino’s case and it’s overblown in Padgett’s.

Yeah - that too.

I have no dog in the fight. What do you want to see happen?
I want Tyra (who looked really fat in the AD’s box tonight - too much Poopy Johns of late?) to channel his inner TJ and swing for the goddamn fences. I want him to go all out and give a can’t miss - top flight guy (better than Mack) a long term deal that he can’t say no to. Do that and the money will show back up - don’t and watch it continue to dwindle.

Reactions: zipp
I want Tyra (who looked really fat in the AD’s box tonight - too much Poopy Johns of late?) to channel his inner TJ and swing for the goddamn fences. I want him to go all out and give a can’t miss - top flight guy (better than Mack) a long term deal that he can’t say no to. Do that and the money will show back up - don’t and watch it continue to dwindle.

Can they afford a guy in the neighborhood you're looking at?

If they can’t get a top flight coach (I want Mack), then the best solution is to hire Scotty Davenport. He would be a great stop gap - he’d play a fun brand of ball, would connect with the fanbase and is experienced enough to handle a tough situation. He’d take the job in a nanosecond. His son would take over at Bellarmine. I have a great source that said he was upset UofL didn’t consider him for the interim role and that he and his son had a plan in place if he had been offered.

Can they afford a guy in the neighborhood you're looking at?
Nobody over there is sending me the balance sheet to go over but, they were paying pitino 7M and have that adidas deal in their back pocket.

I’d say it’s not money they lack - it’s vision and will.

Went ahead and took a looksie at Nova, they had a 5 star starting in the title game, and the other 4 starters were 4 star guys. Their 6th and 7th men were also 4 star players.

That's good recruiting. They were also lucky enough to have SRs.
Per Rivals, Villanova signed one 5-star, six 4-star, and five 3-star kids in the four classes (2012-2015) leading up to their championship. That averages to 3.67 stars.

That's the same calculation I made for the other championship teams, i.e., average of prior four recruiting classes. It doesn't account for addition and subtraction, minutes played by which players, etc.
You've gone real silent on the facts I gave you on Daniels for UCONN and you're just spinning some character clause against Chane while simultaneously sticking your nose up at Blackshear's character. So you are straight up moving the goal posts with those two guys.

Facts are 2 of the 3 teams that you listed as examples of winning titles with 3 and 4 star kids also had a 5 star player contribute. It shouldn't be such a pain to your ego to simply say, "I forgot Chane was a 5 star and honestly dude I don't know who the hell DeAndre Daniels is"
That's because your point of one kid on a team isn't compelling, not that I was dodging it. One 5-star per team doesn't change the narrative. If he averages 30 minutes as an upgrade from a 4-star kid, that 15% of the minutes played by the TEAM in a regulation game (200 minutes total). That isn't even an uptick in talent from where we are with this team.

Our history speaks for itself... Behanan was the lowest ranked 5-star kid in his class, and he was a knucklehead who lasted two years and did his part to get your school in trouble. If that makes you proud, hold out your chest. The Blackshears and VJ Kings of the world ain't winning anyone a conference, much less a championship. They're role players, and at best you hope they're consistent. And the last couple of 5-star kids you recruited were involved in pay for play. Taken together, not a really good experience with those kids...

Last edited:
No way Zipp you think after tonight CDP should still be the coach. I had a top 3, but now I can think of 10 that I'd want instead. Love that he bleeds red, but I think he can't coach defense. No help side at all, players don't jump to the ball, Cure j had 40 against Virginia and drop 80 on us. Give me a break. Phone call please to Mack, Smart, or Marshall eeds to happen ASAP! Get a bug in their ear soon. Go Cards!
We've lost the last two games to teams that are about where we are talent-wise. With Boeheim on the other bench, no question we were at a coaching disadvantage tonite. Even Leonard Hamilton is probably the equal of DP at this point.

So far, this team is about where I thought it would be preseason...which is struggle to win 20 games. ESPN has us finishing with 18 wins and losing the last five in a row. If that happens, DP is probably not gonna have the fan support to keep the job under ordinary circumstances.

The problem for everyone is we are not in an environment to hire a different coach. The NCAA overhang, our financial issues, and the management competency problem make a lethal combination if you expect a good coaching hire. You're not equipped to do that now...sorry.

No - he’s saying he’s rather keep Padgett than have the current regime make another - presumably - long term hire.
Pretty much. The other thing pushing me in that direction is there's no real urgency. You can make that permanent hire anytime. We're facing a long, dark road and hopefully only in men's basketball. (With the clown show, I can't say for sure...)

I recognize that people wanna rip off the band-aid quickly. That would be best as far as getting back on track, but IMO we ain't ready. And this hire needs to be right...
Classic!

I don't think he's capable of what you're hoping for unfortunately. And if there's a guy who's gonna tell you we can't afford something or someone right now, it's Tyra.
Nobody over there is sending me the balance sheet to go over but, they were paying pitino 7M and have that adidas deal in their back pocket.

I’d say it’s not money they lack - it’s vision and will.
I think it's gonna be jaw-dropping how much of a reduction we're gonna see in the athletics budget next year. Wouldn't surprise me if it was more than $20 million...

Last edited:
That's because your point of one kid on a team isn't compelling, not that I was dodging it. One 5-star per team doesn't change the narrative.

Most teams play tight 7-8 man rotations so one 5 star out of seven or eight players IS compelling.

And it's most definitely compelling when the 5 star is one of the top players on the team, or puts a team on their back on the biggest stage for stretches.

Signed, Daniels for UCONN, and Chane for UofL.

Your narrative is to point to UK and KU and say their recruiting style isn't how you win titles. Even though UK did win one that way, as has Duke. You are just overplaying your hand downplaying the importance of recruiting. Hey KU didn't win it with Wiggins UofL doesn't need Wiggins. We get it.

Nobody is saying line up 4 of the top 15 overall players or get the top player annually...and build a team that way. Nobody is. Your exaggerated narrative is not applicable to any argument being made.

Did you ever consider the lack of individual success of the minimal prior 5 stars under Pitino to be because they were simply under Pitino? Perhaps a discussion for another thread - but more than likely they struggled here because of Pitino. He held elite players back.

The sample is so small, who cares? But, the guy has you so brainwashed you actually downplay the significance of good recruiting in a sport where evidence shows a top shelf player per roster is required to win titles.

Please list all the teams in the current era that have won titles that didn't have a single 5 star player on their roster.

It may be the case that there are numerous examples. Listing a lot of teams here will have me reconsider the importance of recruiting. Who are these title winners that didn't have to deal with having a 5 star player?

Last edited:
I have nothing against Padgett. I think we all kind of wrote this season off as a wash anyways in the beginning, so I am happy so far. Look at it this way...at least we have an excuse. The team up the road loses to crap teams almost weekly with a roster full of 5 stars and a "HOF" "coach", I mean.... recruiter.

We knew this would be a transition year. Just enjoy the ride fellas until baseball and football season. If we make the tourney, it will be much more than I expected in the beginning of the season.

I agree with the poster above who said something along the lines its scary to think of our current admins making a long term hire.

The team is capable of doing much better especially at home. Mental concentration on offense and more tenacity will make the difference. McMahon hit some nice shots.

Apparently you missed the first half of Denny's career. From about 1978-1990 we had the best recruiting in the country.
I was there. So now you’re saying, we weren’t successful because of Denny’s coaching but because of all the talent? Yeah we got some high recruits from time to time, Scooter McCray, but the majority weren’t like Charles Jones from Scuba MS. Some of the high recruits we got like Walls didn’t even pan out. Before there were burger boys, they were called blue chippers and back then UK got most of them.

Well, folks CDP is coaching Pitino players. These young men would be playing the same game for Pitino as well. Pitino was losing his edge. Also, there are no easy games in the ACC. What I notice is these players seem to not be able to concentrate, make good decisions, and lack the killer instinct to put an opponent away. We need more American players and less International players on our roster! Most of the International players just do not have the right mind set or the physical strengthened for American College Basketball. Thier basketball IQ is at the junior high school level.

Well, folks CDP is coaching Pitino players. These young men would be playing the same game for Pitino as well. Pitino was losing his edge. Also, there are no easy games in the ACC. What I notice is these players seem to not be able to concentrate, make good decisions, and lack the killer instinct to put an opponent away. We need more American players and less International players on our roster! Most of the International players just do not have the right mind set or the physical strengthened for American College Basketball. Thier basketball IQ is at the junior high school level.
I dont know about that. When I watch them play I always say to myself, " something is just missing, something to just close these games out" . Last night I said that and then I was like, yeah, Its Pitino, Pitino is missing.

Reactions: zipp
There is no reason we should not be able to recruit primarily 4 and 5 star players.
I agree. As a rival fan I hope to goodness that you guys only ever get 3 and 4 star players.

You know what Pitino, Wright, Stevens, Brey, marshal, and Padgett all have in common? They’d all love to have Anthony Davis on their team. Any program that hires a coach who is just “content” with 3 and 4 Star kids just hired a coach with a loser mentality

...You know what Pitino, Wright, Stevens, Brey, marshal, and Padgett all have in common? They’d all love to have Anthony Davis on their team. Any program that hires a coach who is just “content” with 3 and 4 Star kids just hired a coach with a loser mentality
It's not about contentment, it's about what's required. Too many examples where you don't need 5-star kids on your roster to be successful. And too many examples where you lose with them to teams you shouldn't. Duke, Kansas, and LPT this year.

If you're waiting for a player like AD to come along to win a title, you don't have a basketball program. You have a lotto ticket.

"Elite program," my a$$...

Come see me in 10 years. We will see who has the lions share of titles. It won’t be freaking Purdue lol
I know all about how long a decade is...

Decade20of20LPT20Basketball_zps20w3vdfk.jpg

Reactions: nccardfan
It's not about contentment, it's about what's required. Too many examples where you don't need 5-star kids on your roster to be successful. And too many examples where you lose with them to teams you shouldn't. Duke, Kansas, and LPT this year.

If you're waiting for a player like AD to come along to win a title, you don't have a basketball program. You have a lotto ticket.

"Elite program," my a$$...
In don’t know how many games you have coached. But I have coached a lot. This is the only stat that matters. In games where I had the better players I won 90% of the time. It’s really not a science, it’s common sense. Your stats and data is useless in this arena (and I know you won’t admit it). At some point you have to open your eyes and look on the court. The best teams have the best players on it. Coaches tend to want the best players so they can be the best team.

There is a reason why Vegas favors duke, Kentucky, Kansas and unc most every year. They have the most talented players.

You downplay recruiting simply because kentucky does not. You always bring it back to a Kentucky comparison.

In don’t know how many games you have coached. But I have coached a lot. This is the only stat that matters. In games where I had the better players I won 90% of the time. It’s really not a science, it’s common sense. Your stats and data is useless in this arena (and I know you won’t admit it). At some point you have to open your eyes and look on the court. The best teams have the best players on it. Coaches tend to want the best players so they can be the best team.

There is a reason why Vegas favors duke, Kentucky, Kansas and unc most every year. They have the most talented players.

You downplay recruiting simply because kentucky does not. You always bring it back to a Kentucky comparison.
UK is rarely the favorite. They will talk them up in the beginning because of the record number of 5 stars on the roster, then everyone is brought back down to reality when they see what a piss poor coaching job Cal has done midway through the year, then they revert back to how young they are (Cal included) , and then flame out like a fart in the wind come tourny time and almost always to a team with MUCH MUCH lesser talent than them because....well....fat Cal gets outcoached.

Its truly a shame what a piss poor job he does with all talent. Hes like the fat Cadillac car salesmen.

Talent may have been the primary determinant for YOUR coaching, but that's more a reflection on you and the coaches you went up against. There are examples everywhere in college basketball refuting that talent is 90% of the game.

I don't doubt that--for example--in high school coaching, it's mostly about talent. But that's because the coaching is lightly compensated and generally inferior. Bad coaches need good players to win. But that ain't the upper ranks of college basketball. No one wants to play Virginia, and it's not because of their talent.

Your coach couldn't get a decent job based on his X-and-O skills, and your own fans know that. He's admired by slapd!cks because he brings in great players and keeps them out of trouble for 8-9 months. That's your system and what your fans want. It doesn't however represent college basketball; in fact, it's the exception...

UK is rarely the favorite. They will talk them up in the beginning because of the record number of 5 stars on the roster, then everyone is brought back down to reality when they see what a piss poor coaching job Cal has done midway through the year, then they revert back to how young they are (Cal included) , and then flame out like a fart in the wind come tourny time and almost always to a team with MUCH MUCH lesser talent than them because....well....fat Cal gets outcoached.

Its truly a shame what a piss poor job he does with all talent. Hes like the fat Cadillac car salesmen.
Flame out? Lol

Talent may have been the primary determinant for YOUR coaching, but that's more a reflection on you and the coaches you went up against. There are examples everywhere in college basketball refuting that talent is 90% of the game.

I don't doubt that--for example--in high school coaching, it's mostly about talent. But that's because the coaching is lightly compensated and generally inferior. Bad coaches need good players to win. But that ain't the upper ranks of college basketball. No one wants to play Virginia, and it's not because of their talent.

Your coach couldn't get a decent job based on his X-and-O skills, and your own fans know that. He's admired by slapd!cks because he brings in great players and keeps them out of trouble for 8-9 months. That's your system and what your fans want. It doesn't however represent college basketball; in fact, it's the exception...

I think you’re wrong. Agree to disagree I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT