ADVERTISEMENT

CDP

Not as important as pure coaching ability. Not in today's game. Too many examples showing that, a good one right down the road...

You are pointing out one program and even that program has a title within the last decade, and multiple FFs. You also mentioned Duke which is really just baffling they won the title 3 years ago with nothing but top shelf recruits.

Point me to the teams that had bad players that won a title, or a team with low level recruits. It's not happening.

Maybe this year is the year. That would be neat.

There is no "chance" as you fear... There will not be a major drop-off in talent because we don't have crazy talent to start with. Our starting five averages 4.2 stars (and that's with VJ King accounting for the 0.2 uptick from a flat 4.0). The first four off the bench average 3.25 stars. That's a 3.8 star average for the nine guys logging the most minutes.

I've already acknowledged that the U of L brand and the ACC are good enough to attract 4-star and high 3-star kids. That's the same level of talent we have now. Trying to get 5-star kids like Bowen and Blakeney is when we had problems. And while he's a good kid, I can live without a VJ King.

Some of you guys are trying to IMPROVE from where you were with a guy recruiting 5-star kids. You don't recognize that's what you want, but it ain't U of L...

If Mack can get 4*'s at a school that doesn't have football and there is hardly anything to do, then I have 0 doubt that he can get highly talented 4-5*'s here at a huge school and athletic program. Also, we don't even know if Padgett can do what YOU said. He threw out an offer at a long time UofL fan and get rejected. The kid committed to South Carolina.

No one know's the name , "David Padgett." You want to know why 5* Simons, 4* Ramey (as you mention) decommitted? They decommitted because PITINO got fired. They were coming to UofL mainly because of the coach. They'd still be coming here if Pitino wasn't gone. That alone negates your point. Ramey and his father love Louisville, so why isn't he committed here still? Oh, because the coach is gone and now there are UNCERTAINTIES.

He also has a few juniors and seniors here to work with and has been on record saying he's sticking with Pitino's system. What happens when all of those players leave and he has to get his own players and his own system? That we don't know and there is absolutely a chance that it goes south. ESPECIALLY being in the ACC.

Reactions: Googstercard
You are pointing out one program and even that program has a title within the last decade, and multiple FFs. You also mentioned Duke which is really just baffling they won the title 3 years ago with nothing but top shelf recruits.

Point me to the teams that had bad players that won a title, or a team with low level recruits. It's not happening.

Maybe this year is the year. That would be neat.
2016 Nova: 4 star average or sl. lower
2014 UConn: About a 4 average; Napier and Boatright were 4s
2013 Louisville: Some of our key players weren't even 4s

I never said "bad players". I said 4-star and high-3s, which we can get simply by who we are and playing in the ACC. You don't need 5-star kids, and there's no evidence they help us. To the contrary...

If Mack can get 4*'s at a school that doesn't have football and there is hardly anything to do, then I have 0 doubt that he can get highly talented 4-5*'s here at a huge school and athletic program. Also, we don't even know if Padgett can do what YOU said. He threw out an offer at a long time UofL fan and get rejected. The kid committed to South Carolina...
And he has no contract and NCAA sanctions looming. Should we ask him to take on anymore handicaps while he recruits? :rolleyes:

Your problem and many like you is you don't know who you are. You have no good experience recruiting five-star kids, as in EVER. Right now, you need to just get back to where you were. Someday, MAYBE you can get 5-star kids and put them to good use (although I'm not sure why you want or think you need that...)

This right here would be a contradiction to your point though. Ollie is not even an average coach, or average at best. Also, DeAndre Daniels started for that UCONN team and he was a 5 star and the #10 player in his class per Rivals - and he was a big reason they won the title.

Reactions: HRTheCard
And he has no contract and NCAA sanctions looming. Should we ask him to take on anymore handicaps while he recruits? :rolleyes:

Your problem and many like you is you don't know who you are. You have no good experience recruiting five-star kids, as in EVER. Right now, you need to just get back to where you were. Someday, MAYBE you can get 5-star kids and put them to good use (although I'm not sure why you want or think you need that...)

I'm not sure why you think a 50-50 chance of Padgett being a good coach is worth the risk to take at the University of Louisville. This season has no merit on his ability. Absolutely none. You cannot judge a coach by the way he coaches someone else's players. Especially when he literally said that he was sticking with Pitino's system.

Reactions: BPGhost

Not playing favorites here - whoever the next coach is going to be will really struggle with recruiting. Unless he cheats. That would be some bold shit right there.

LMFAO

I never said "bad players". I said 4-star and high-3s, which we can get simply by who we are and playing in the ACC. You don't need 5-star kids, and there's no evidence they help us. To the contrary...

But they were coached by a HIGHLY TALENTED, PROVEN COACH. And David Padgett is not PROVEN, nor do we know that he's HIGHLY TALENTED. There are no facts. There is no merit. There is no rhyme or reason why the University of Louisville should take the 50-50 chance of seeing if Padgett is HIGHLY TALENTED and A PROVEN COACH with his OWN players.

That's the point I'm making and you're purposefully missing!

Ghost or one of the new coach clowns in this thread, I'll ask the question here I just asked elsewhere...

Why would you be content to have the current $hit show in charge go out and hire a basketball coach? Or to have the same $hit show hire a new AD to make that hire?

Aren't we ankle deep in enough $hit at the moment?...
Content doesn’t enter the picture. Pitino is gone. TJ is gone. When you resign yourself to the inevitable reality that Tyra is going to be the AD - you have to move on. Moving on includes wanting the Athletic programs to succeed at the level where they are competing for conference and national championships on a regular basis. In the case of basketball, that IMO excludes Padgett because he is far too much of an unknown for a program like Louisville to have to settle for.

Content doesn’t enter the picture. Pitino is gone. TJ is gone. When you resign yourself to the inevitable reality that Tyra is going to be the AD - you have to move on. Moving on includes wanting the Athletic programs to succeed at the level where they are competing for conference and national championships on a regular basis. In the case of basketball, that IMO excludes Padgett because he is far too much of an unknown for a program like Louisville to have to settle for.

10000000000000000000000000000000000%

Reactions: Louisville JD

We started 3 McD AA's and you claim we had no talent? LOL

Agree. Gotta make a change. DP has done an admirable job given the situation but we have to bring in a proven and experienced coach for a fresh start. A new high profile coach who can recruit will energize the fan base and jump start/reset our program.

Agree. Gotta make a change. DP has done an admirable job given the situation but we have to bring in a proven and experienced coach for a fresh start. A new high profile coach who can recruit will energize the fan base and jump start/reset our program.

As Bobby V says let's let the cake bake awhile. Lots of big games and the ACC tourney to go for The tourney seed to go. Obviously CDP is learning on the job vs. some really good coaches. Let's see how he and staff handle the next 2 months.
Pretty much the key to keeping Cards relevant the next few years will be a head coach that can recruit top 100 players year in and year out despite any NCAA sanctions, fallout, etc. to stay relevant in the ACC we need the top 100 players and occassional Top 20 MAA.

Reactions: zipp
Who was Brad Stevens before he was Brad Stevens? A nobody who worked the Lilly Corp and quit to become an asst coach. You guys talk about age as if it’s a bad thing. Stevens, third youngest coach to win 30 games. Youngest coach to make Final Four. Yeah everybody would sell their soul to have him here because he made a name elsewhere. Who wanted him before, Butler? CDP can make a name here. Just give him a chance.

Reactions: zipp
Who was Brad Stevens before he was Brad Stevens? A nobody who worked the Lilly Corp and quit to become an asst coach. You guys talk about age as if it’s a bad thing. Stevens, third youngest coach to win 30 games. Youngest coach to make Final Four. Yeah everybody would sell their soul to have him here because he made a name elsewhere. Who wanted him before, Butler? CDP can make a name here. Just give him a chance.
I would say he has his chance right now. Not that we don't have some personnel weaknesses, but if he can't get this team to the NCAA tournament I don't think that is a good sign. One thing that concerns me is I don't see the type of mental or physical toughness on this team that you need to win today. To me that is a coaching issue.

As Bobby V says let's let the cake bake awhile. Lots of big games and the ACC tourney to go for The tourney seed to go. Obviously CDP is learning on the job vs. some really good coaches. Let's see how he and staff handle the next 2 months.
Pretty much the key to keeping Cards relevant the next few years will be a head coach that can recruit top 100 players year in and year out despite any NCAA sanctions, fallout, etc. to stay relevant in the ACC we need the top 100 players and occassional Top 20 MAA.
Bob Valvano is the last guy I care to take advice from. As you know he is our radio color man yet he has his own radio show that promotes both the NBA & our rival down I-64 (through his fraternization each Friday with kitty color man Mike Pratt).

His take on the NBA (which he wholeheartdly supports and would be very detrimental UofL) and his relationship with our rival are grounds for Tyra to fire him - while he’s in the firing mood!

Reactions: gocds and BPGhost
For every Brad Stevens you can point to - I can show you a Mike Davis or Kevin Ollie.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I would say he has his chance right now. Not that we don't have some personnel weaknesses, but if he can't get this team to the NCAA tournament I don't think that is a good sign. One thing that concerns me is I don't see the type of mental or physical toughness on this team that you need to win today. To me that is a coaching issue.
But yet aren’t these Pitino’s players? You can’t have it both ways. That’s why CDP can’t make everyone happy if we don’t give him a chance.

If we really want to be honest with ourselves. I think he’s doing as well as any other coach that was available at the time with Pitino’s players. Tom Crean was really probably the only guy available at the time, remember? Davenport was not a legitimate choice at the time, just signed a contract that would let him retire at Bellarmine.

For every Brad Stevens you can point to - I can show you a Mike Davis or Kevin Ollie.
What tells you he is Kevin Ollie or a Mike Davis? Did they play for U of L? Are their dad’s respective coaches? Were they currently on Pitino’s staff. Did they know any of these players?

But yet aren’t these Pitino’s players? You can’t have it both ways. That’s why CDP can’t make everyone happy if we don’t give him a chance.

If we really want to be honest with ourselves. I think he’s doing as well as any other coach that was available at the time with Pitino’s players. Tom Crean was really probably the only guy available at the time, remember? Davenport was not a legitimate choice at the time, just signed a contract that would let him retire at Bellarmine.
Doesn't matter who recruited these players. A good coach should be able to get them to the NCAA. I am not attacking Padgett for what he does or doesn't do this year because he came into a difficult situation with little in the way of preparation. However, I don't see how he can be handed a top 5 job unless he proves he deserves it. We cannot give him 2 or 3 years to get his "own players". If he can't win with these players I think we have to accept he probably isn't the guy for the job.

Reactions: Niterider55
What tells you he is Kevin Ollie or a Mike Davis? Did they play for U of L? Are their dad’s respective coaches? Were they currently on Pitino’s staff. Did they know any of these players?
Joey Meyer’s dad was a coach, right?

The fact that DP’s dad was a coach is small potatoes. I know plenty of guys whose old man coached and they can’t coach a lick.

Joey Meyer’s dad was a coach, right?

The fact that DP’s dad was a coach is small potatoes. I know plenty of guys whose old man coached and they can’t coach a lick.
Yeah I can always find an exception if I look hard enough. Also when you throw out a name you at least ought to do some research. Joey Meyer led DePaul to 7 NCAA appearances in his first 8 years before DePaul started to struggle. If your so dissatisfied, take the hike up to Cincinnati, it’s not far and we would be better off with one less complainer.

Last edited:
This right here would be a contradiction to your point though. Ollie is not even an average coach, or average at best. Also, DeAndre Daniels started for that UCONN team and he was a 5 star and the #10 player in his class per Rivals - and he was a big reason they won the title.
It's not about one guy unless he's a generational player like Anthony Davis, a guy U of L's never getting. (Or even Daniels...)

College ball is a guard's game, and the guards led that UConn team. However Ollie got it done that year, he got it done. We blew the doors off UConn three times, so their talent was far, far from dominating.
I don't follow this closely but Chane was a 5 star per Rivals and he kind of put the team on his back down the stretch in the title game.
You don't even wanna know the average star rating for that team, but I'll do the math if you want...

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you think a 50-50 chance of Padgett being a good coach is worth the risk to take at the University of Louisville. This season has no merit on his ability. Absolutely none. You cannot judge a coach by the way he coaches someone else's players. Especially when he literally said that he was sticking with Pitino's system.
Your odds are no better with another coach, you just THINK they are. After 22 games, I like the bird in the hand.

What system did you expect DP to run when he was handed Pitino's guys and the keys to the Lambo in October? John Wooden's?? And if he coaches "Pitino's system" as well as The Master did, so what? Why reinvent the wheel? Credit to him for pulling that off.
But they were coached by a HIGHLY TALENTED, PROVEN COACH. And David Padgett is not PROVEN, nor do we know that he's HIGHLY TALENTED. There are no facts. There is no merit. There is no rhyme or reason why the University of Louisville should take the 50-50 chance of seeing if Padgett is HIGHLY TALENTED and A PROVEN COACH with his OWN players.

That's the point I'm making and you're purposefully missing!
I'm not missing anything, you just showed up yesterday... The debate about why DP shouldn't get the job is that he's not a proven RECRUITER. Sync up with your pals on your side of the debate...

Reactions: nccardfan
That analysis doesn't affect what we know at the moment... Everything so far that these goons touch is an unmitigated disaster. So, you want that to now include your new basketball coach from who knows where?...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

We started 3 McD AA's and you claim we had no talent? LOL
Behanan, the team knucklehead, was the only 5-star on the roster. You want more Behanans and Blackshears? LOL.

Russ, SVT, and Hancock were 3 stars. Wichita was a walk on. All contributed significantly down the stretch.

I'll compute the average stars for that team if you want. (I don't think you'll like the math...)

Reactions: gocds
Blah blah blah... Pretty light on analysis.

Your odds are no better with another coach, you just THINK they are. After 22 games, I like the bird in the hand.

What system did you expect DP to run when he was handed Pitino's guys and the keys to the Lambo in October? John Wooden's?? And if he coaches "Pitino's system" as well as The Master did, so what? Why reinvent the wheel? Credit to him for pulling that off.

I'm not missing anything, you just showed up yesterday... The debate about why DP shouldn't get the job is that he's not a proven RECRUITER. Sync up with your pals on your side of the debate...

Just showed up yesterday because this board is DEAD. It’s at the worst it has ever been. Btw, it’s 23 games. He’s also not a proven coach. Yesterday proved that.

Blah blah blah... Pretty light on analysis.

If they hire Padgett, that proves your point about the BOT, Tyra, etc. It’s funny that you think Tyra is a pose and not true UofL and doing what’s best, yet okay with Padgett getting the job.

Congratulations on the hypocrisy.

If they hire Padgett, that proves your point about the BOT, Tyra, etc. It’s funny that you think Tyra is a pose and not true UofL and doing what’s best, yet okay with Padgett getting the job.

Congratulations on the hypocrisy.
Padgett's been in or around the program for 15 years. Tyra's approaching 15 weeks. That's an asinine comparison...

Reactions: nccardfan
Yeah I can always find an exception if I look hard enough. Also when you throw out a name you at least ought to do some research. Joey Meyer led DePaul to 7 NCAA appearances in his first 8 years before DePaul started to struggle. If your so dissatisfied, take the hike up to Cincinnati, it’s not far and we would be better off with one less complainer.
Free country. You Russian???

Keyboard tough guy, keyboard name caller. Unbelievable. Personal attack guy, wow!

Behanan, the team knucklehead, was the only 5-star on the roster. You want more Behanans and Blackshears? LOL.

Russ, SVT, and Hancock were 3 stars. Wichita was a walk on. All contributed significantly down the stretch.

I'll compute the average stars for that team if you want. (I don't think you'll like the math...)
You are spinning out of control. We started 3 McD AA's. Behanan and Blackshear were 5 star recruits in most rating systems. We had extreme depth and experience. That was the most talented and experienced over all U of L team since 1986 probably. The same basic team went to back to back Final Fours and won a title. For you to imply they didn't have great talent is loony tunes land.

All due respect but, WTF are you talking about? Both played D1 and were on the respective staffs when the HOF legend HC left and they took over - albeit under different circumstances. Both had a measure of success with the roster left to them but underachieved when the programs were completely under their control. Will Padgett be another example? I don’t know but, UofL is not a program that has to roll the dice on him and have it come up snake eyes.

BTW - Padgett’s father being a HS coach is completely inconsequential to this conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT