ADVERTISEMENT

Cards rotation who will it be?

armensmith

One-Star Poster
Apr 30, 2020
There are lots of good posts about individual players and it occurred to me how difficult it would be to predict the players who will get the most minutes. I count 13 on scholarship and there is talent from top to bottom. I am, for one, hard pressed to name the players who will see the top nine minutes once I get past Evans, Balogun, and Dixon. Here is my feeble attempt not necessarily in order of minutes played.
1, Evans
2. Balogun
3. Dixon
4. Cochran
5. HVL
6. Robinson
7. K. Smith
8. Parker
9. Green

i know I am going to irk some by leaving off A. Smith, Russell, Konno, and Lockhart. If there is any consolation . I am probably very wrong!!!

I would guess many of those minutes may come about based on the type of game they are in and who is playing well. Russell might be a RS candidate just due to numbers. The Smiths - if they can score and play defense then Kasa may lose minutes. I love her game but she has struggled to show she can score consistently. I think Green will surprise and get a decent amount of clock. I am not as high on Dixon (right now). Potential is there and maybe after a year in Walz’s system she will show improvement. I think she will play a lot but if Parker can rebound and block shots she should see a good amount of minutes herself. Konno - I think, as long as she puts the ball in the bucket enough, is the type of player Walz loves. She works hard, plays defense, passes well and doesn’t try to overextend her game which means fewer errors. Again, who UofL is playing could really dictate who plays and who doesn’t at any given time. I, like others, would love to see pressure all game long. He has the players to do it - why not place the other squad under intense pressure. You’ll either create TOs or wear them out until they start making TOs.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Starting Five:

PG - Dana Evans - I think she's still going to play 32-35 minutes a game in big games. She will move between PG and SG.
SG - A.Smith - Juco player of the year. She beats out the competition for this position.
F - Konno - She's going to need to extend her range. I like her experience and she's a returning player.
F - Balogun - She should improve her offensive numbers this year.
C - Dixon - Experienced Center, she was showing progress the end of this season.

Rotation:

G - Mykas Robinson - Her defense keeps her on the court, and she was showing a decent mid-range game the end of season. Off season extend her range.
G - Hailey Van Lith - First year she will have limited minutes. Could pick up down the stretch. Too much experience in front of her. 12-15 min a game.
G - K.Smith - Redshirt last year, she knows the system, she just doesn't have the game experience with our program.
C - Cochran - I still don't know if she's 6'1 or 6'3. 6'1 she is going to struggle, at 6'3 she's going to be difficult to keep out of the lineup.
F - Green - I can see her playing in the forward slot, guarding bigger players with her size. She will be an undersized 4 to get on the court.

Mop up minutes:

C - Parker - Inexperienced player, she will have to look for her moments.
G/F - Russell - Too much talent in front of her. Redshirt candidate, if not, she's going to have to work to jump players in front of her.
C - Lockhart - Big body, slow footwork. I don't see her getting on the floor outside of blow out games.

"Konno - I think, as long as she puts the ball in the bucket enough, is the type of player Walz loves. She works hard, plays defense, passes well and doesn’t try to overextend her game which means fewer errors."

I think if one could substitute Mykasa's name for Konno, the quote statement would be just as accurate. I am willing to bet that shooting the short range jumper and developing a floater is what Mykasa has concentrated on in the last few months.

Reactions: Bardman
Too many unknowns for me to pick a starting lineup, the only one guaranteed is Dana Evans. After that it comes down to whoever works the hardest and whoever produces. In regards to HVL she is a workhorse and she has a competitive attitude. She was very impressive in the World Cup games and most of the players in there were college athletes. In regards to Dixon I think the main concern is if she can stay healthy, there were a couple of games in which I was surprised she didn’t get hurt more than what she was. I was certain her knees gave out on her in one game.
I like Kono I think she is just a natural athlete who plays within the framework of her game. She has a really good midrange jumper that is consistent and she is a good ball handler. Like Bardman said with the talent this team has top to bottom let’s play a really intense pressure defense and ware down our opponents. We have the personnel to do so.

Evans, Dixon and Balogun are starting. I also see Green one of the Smiths in there to start. Kasa, Konno, HVL and Cochran will rotate in.

Evans, Dixon and Balogun are starting. I also see Green one of the Smiths in there to start. Kasa, Konno, HVL and Cochran will rotate in.

Both Smith's should play. But I agree with everyone else, except I don't have Green starting, I have Konno. Minutes will be won and lost in practice, but when your in the game, you better produce as well. I can't wait.

Both Smith's should play. But I agree with everyone else, except I don't have Green starting, I have Konno. Minutes will be won and lost in practice, but when your in the game, you better produce as well. I can't wait.
I

I think I am in Watson’s corner with the starters. Of course, that doesn’t tell us who will start come game 7 or who is getting the most minutes (after Dana).

KosmasAgain is a woss for being 'fearful' of selecting a rotation. Well I am too!! It is very difficult. I note that neither Watson or Bardsman mentioned Ramani Parker even though the coach spoke rather highly of her in his press conference saying that she reminded him of Kylee at the same stage except perhaps a little better. At 6'4", long and mobile, I expect to see her have some good minutes.:)

I hope Parker contributes as I stated in my original post. Will she start? I doubt it. Dixon has the strength factor and can bang down low. Dixon must consistently finish offensively after nabbing her rebounds. She does that she will keep Parker and anyone else on the sidelines.

Coach Walz raved about Green in his presser yesterday. She was a Burger girl that has already spent a full year in the system.

Coach Walz raved about Green in his presser yesterday. She was a Burger girl that has already spent a full year in the system.

We have 7 Burger girls on the team. And that’s the only time I’ve seen her play. All star games are difficult to go by and she even told me on Twitter that she’s much better than her Burger game. I’m looking forward to seeing who comes out of this with playing time. I wish the girls had open gym in the Summer to watch them play.

While I did not go to any practices last fall (late September and early October), but had done so for several years previously. The ladies seem to be very pleased that we were there. Coach Walz came over and sat by me for 10 or 15 minutes at one practice and told me things about Sam, Kylee, and others that I would not ordinarily have heard elsewhere.. Likewise a number of he players when they had the chance came over and introduced themselves and we chatted for a few minutes. To go to the practices, all we had to do was call ahead and agree on dates. It was a lot of fun and informative. If attendance at certain practices are permitted this year, I recommend those interested to try it. I cannot guarantee you will be be able to select those players who will start from these practices, however!!! :)

While I did not go to any practices last fall (late September and early October), but had done so for several years previously. The ladies seem to be very pleased that we were there. Coach Walz came over and sat by me for 10 or 15 minutes at one practice and told me things about Sam, Kylee, and others that I would not ordinarily have heard elsewhere.. Likewise a number of he players when they had the chance came over and introduced themselves and we chatted for a few minutes. To go to the practices, all we had to do was call ahead and agree on dates. It was a lot of fun and informative. If attendance at certain practices are permitted this year, I recommend those interested to try it. I cannot guarantee you will be be able to select those players who will start from these practices, however!!! :)

I"m going to check on that. I want to see these girls compete.

The one, and frankly only weakness that I have seen from JW teams is lack of interior presence. If Parker can provide some quality minutes with interior defense and keeping the opponent “bigs” off the offensive glass, that would be most welcome.

Reactions: Bardman
I'll jump in with a guess. Don't be surprised to have four guards out there a lot of the time with Dana, Hailey, Elizabeth, Liz and Ahlana as a starting line up. Kianna is also going to turn a lot of heads. Norika will see her share and Nyah is in the best physical shape she's ever been in according to Walz.

--sonja--

I am going out on a limb and select Dana, Liz Balogun, Liz Dixon, Nyha Green, and my wild card, Ahlana Smith as the initial starting five. However, there is no doubt that Hailey, Kianna, and/or Olivia could well be in there. I wonder about starting both Hailey and Olivia when the opponent has taller guards who can drive. Is there anyone like Kylee who can pick up the driving guard? Can Olivia do that at this stage as I really do not know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT