ADVERTISEMENT

Can We List all former Players who Returned to their schools to coach and did well?

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
with the caveat that said player was actually good and played, instead of someone who rode the bench most of the time and was actually able to absorb the game like a coach which helped them later, who are the players who returned home to coach and succeeded?
kenny payne was a good player and starter and i personally believe no good player, on average, becomes a good coach returning to his alma mater. they can coach elsewhere and be good but returning is too much pressure. currently there is ewing at georgetown, hardaway at memphis, howard at michigan, and davis at unc that i know of. all are great recruiters none are good coaches. they need everyone else to do their work and teach them. in essence, they are CEO's, not actual coaches.

the person who makes a great coach are those players who rode the bench. pitino and billy donovan instantly come to mind, beoheim, roy williams went back and succeeded but weren't great. hoiberg of iowa state probably best example. but chris mullen failed at st johns. kevin ollie at uconn failed. good players don't go back home and succeed, imho. if we get payne, who is he going to hire to run the offense and defense as i see him as a CEO, not a coach.
so who are the examples we can look to if you want payne to be our next coach?

with the caveat that said player was actually good and played, instead of someone who rode the bench most of the time and was actually able to absorb the game like a coach which helped them later, who are the players who returned home to coach and succeeded?
kenny payne was a good player and starter and i personally believe no good player, on average, becomes a good coach returning to his alma mater. they can coach elsewhere and be good but returning is too much pressure. currently there is ewing at georgetown, hardaway at memphis, howard at michigan, and davis at unc that i know of. all are great recruiters none are good coaches. they need everyone else to do their work and teach them. in essence, they are CEO's, not actual coaches.

the person who makes a great coach are those players who rode the bench. pitino and billy donovan instantly come to mind, beoheim, roy williams went back and succeeded but weren't great. hoiberg of iowa state probably best example. but chris mullen failed at st johns. kevin ollie at uconn failed. good players don't go back home and succeed, imho. if we get payne, who is he going to hire to run the offense and defense as i see him as a CEO, not a coach.

Juwon Howard was AP coach of the year in 2021 after guiding Michigan to Big Ten title and #1 seed. I’d take those kind of results.

Billy Donovan most certainly didn’t ride the bench at Providence
eventually, but rode the bench and took pitino's revolutionary style to make him good, would not have been anywhere and no one wanted him so don;t consider him a really good player, just flourished in 3 game when no one else was playing that game. he'd never play in today's game as everyone is that conditioned. he was playing against gassed defenders, doesn't make him that good, just in better shape in that era, but for two years he watched and learned and that's huge in developing your mind for the game. from wikipedia...

He was not a starter during his first two seasons with the Providence Friars men's basketball team and averaged two points per game as a freshman and three as a sophomore under coach Joe Mullaney. Mullaney retired after the 1984–85 season, and New York Knicks assistant coach Rick Pitino became Providence's new head coach. Soon after, Donovan informed Pitino that he would like to transfer to Fairfield or Northeastern to get more playing time. However, when Pitino called the coaches of those smaller conference schools on Donovan's behalf, they declined to offer him a scholarship, so Pitino advised Donovan to stay at Providence and get himself into better physical shape for the upcoming season.[8]

Donovan flourished in Pitino's system, which emphasized the new three-point shot on offense and a fast-paced full-court press defense. "Billy the Kid," as Providence fans soon nicknamed him (after the 19th-century outlaw), averaged 15.1 points per game as a junior and 20.6 as a senior, when he led the sixth-seeded Friars to the 1987 Final Four and earned Southeast Regional Most Valuable Player honors. Donovan was also named to the 1987 All-Big East first team, the 1987 Big East All-Tournament team, and was an honorable mention All-American.[9] Pitino would later say, "I've never in my life had anyone work as hard to improve as (Donovan)."[8]

Roy Williams did ok.
roy didn't play bball except freshman year so i shouldn't have even mentioned him. from wikipedia...
Williams went on to play on the freshman team at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and study the game under coach Dean Smith. When Williams was a sophomore at North Carolina, he asked Smith if he could attend his practices and would sit in the bleachers taking notes on Smith's coaching.[9] Williams also volunteered to keep statistics for Smith at home games and worked in Smith's summer camps.[9]

Huggy Bear & WVU. Mack did well at Xavier, which, obviously propelled him to the UofL gig. Joe B Hall played at UK for a season. He did ok.

Outside of the top 6 or so blue blood schools, I’d say the highest regarded coaches are:

Jay Wright
Mark Few
Scott Drew
Chris Beard

Other than them all having one syllable first and last names I’m not sure what in their past has led to this success. Is there a tie that binds them? Is there something from their success that we can then extrapolate to who the next big thing will be?

Outside of the top 6 or so blue blood schools, I’d say the highest regarded coaches are:

Jay Wright
Mark Few
Scott Drew
Chris Beard

Other than them all having one syllable first and last names I’m not sure what in their past has led to this success. Is there a tie that binds them? Is there something from their success that we can then extrapolate to who the next big thing will be?
simplest answer is... those who can do, those who cannot teach. none were great or ven good players, so they are great coaches. when you're not the best player you have more time to observe from a distance, you learn more, then you learn to teach. but when your a good player, you spend your time learning how to make yourself better, not learning observing how the coaching is being done. in the nba, players respect former players as coaches, in college they do not.
simple point, who are the greatest sports coaches in history that come to your mind and are any of them former athletes?

simplest answer is... those who can do, those who cannot teach. none were great or ven good players, so they are great coaches. when you're not the best player you have more time to observe from a distance, you learn more, then you learn to teach. but when your a good player, you spend your time learning how to make yourself better, not learning observing how the coaching is being done. in the nba, players respect former players as coaches, in college they do not.
simple point, who are the greatest sports coaches in history that come to your mind and are any of them former athletes?

Few, Drew and Beard never even played college basketball. Maybe having not played is the secret sauce.

John Wooden was an all American at Purdue, and turned down an offer to coach them. Denny Crum was a solid player at UCLA, and turned down an offer to coach them. Both were pretty, pretty good at the schools they did coach.

Reactions: CardsFirst

I must note Billy Donovan did not come off the bench, he was a starter and a gunner.

I must note Billy Donovan did not come off the bench, he was a starter and a gunner.
as replied to above, he sat on the bench first two years until pitino changed the game of bball via conditioning. but he sat and watched and learned and would have never played if not for pitino. but he did play for sure but not like he was good outside of the system.

my overall point is, do we want a first time coach running the program? and if so, then like howard at michigan, then we have to go and hire former top coaches willing to be assistants to run O and D. and thus you are not just searching for one coach, you are searching for three. instead i prefer a coach who can coach and not rely on others to coach. might as well go get cal and try to put the most players in the nba instead of trying to win titles

as replied to above, he sat on the bench first two years until pitino changed the game of bball via conditioning. but he sat and watched and learned and would have never played if not for pitino. but he did play for sure but not like he was good outside of the system.
Maybe he wasn't good enough to start as a freshmen or sophomore, back then it was rare to be starting younger players unlike this day and age, so most younger players got a chance to sit and learn and take their knocks. But Donovan was a really good player in his day for the college level.

Besides Roy Williams, Joe B Hall at UK. In his last 11 seasons at Kentucky Hall made 3 Final Fours & won the 1978 national championship. But other than Williams & Hall I can't think of anyone else that had any long term success.

Mike Woodson at IU is about to become an institution in Hoosier land ……this guy is the real deal.

The HS talent in Indiana in as good as anywhere in America, and I expect that state will get behind Mike and IU a in a very big way.

I will agree with glassman on one thing for sure: if this University selects Payne, I will support him and his team 100% and hope that I am wrong about him; as I believe it will turn out bad, and getting rid of him will cause further division in this community at a time when that is the last thing that we need.

Mike Woodson at IU is about to become an institution in Hoosier land ……this guy is the real deal.

The HS talent in Indiana in as good as anywhere in America, and I expect that state will get behind Mike and IU a in a very big way.

I will agree with glassman on one thing for sure: if this University selects Payne, I will support him and his team 100% and hope that I am wrong about him; as I believe it will turn out bad, and getting rid of him will cause further division in this community at a time when that is the last thing that we need.
Couldn’t have said it better. This is where I am.

I’m afraid your right. I loathe Indiana. I enjoyed their wallow in obscurity. I like Woodson, can’t stand their fanbase. I still think IU-Bloomington played a major roll in the Katina Powell situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT