ADVERTISEMENT

Calmed down now dissection of a season.

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Okay, I'm calmed down now and ready to dissect this season.

Started off great, but a lot of it was smoke and mirrors. There were bad deficiencies, but BP was able to mask them early. Chump game against Charlotte, no hiding needed. Slightly better opponent next week, but athleticism still won out, some problems stayed hidden.

FSU. Our superbowl. Everything clicked right for us and wrong for FSU. While a great win, it set us up for disappointment. Most people don't know it, but Shaq Wiggins was hurt in this game and still hasn't recovered.

Clemson was just a shootout. Sweeny was going to play his game, and let us play ours. No special planning on his part. More fools gold.

Players start falling to injury and Duke tries a new approach on us that works even though we win. Other lesser teams follow that plan and almost knock us off.

The opposing coaches have figured out our O line sucks, so they adapt to exploit it. Our secondary suffers injuries (wiggings, Harvey Clemons) and exploit it with ball control and short passing game.

We basically win some of these games because Lamar busts loose for a few game changing plays.

Opposing coaches also figure out that we're turnover prone and start going after the ball.

By the time Houston rolls around, its the opposite of the FSU game. They can do no wrong, we can do no right. Herman is a helluva coach, and has a good team. They exploit every weakness we have and humiliate us.

That leaves UK. UK is a much improved team since the beginning of the season. They're known for a great running attack, but suspect at best in passing game. We plan for that. They're ready and they have a great game in which their passing game works. This is aided by the fact that our two best secondary players (wiggins and clemons) are not healthy. They attack that, and our season long weakness of turnovers to eke out a win.

Tom Herman said flat out Jackson carries the ball like a loaf of bread. Lamar proved him right with the last fumble.

The last item on the bad list is Petrino 2.0 doesn't have the cajones of Petrino 1.0. 4th and less than 2 at the goal and he kicks the FG. He has the most dynamic player in college football and won't take the chance.

What happened to the Petrino that faked a punt at WVU in his own territory? What happened to the spread? What happened to the gadget plays?

Stoops had bigger cajones than Petrino today. He went for it on 4th and 4 and got it.

In short. Started with fools gold. Got exposed mid season and the staff couldnt adjust from then on.

Petrino need to do a few things in order to get us out of second tier.

#1. Find his balls again. I don't like this straight up crap with a less than average line. Use what you have. Feed the studs. Keep the opposing defenses guessing.

#2. Recruit some damn linemen that can protect. Get a coach that can push them to their maximum ability. We're better than getting O linemen that only have 1 Power 5 offer.

#3. Adapt better when you get figured out. You have the reputation of being one of the best offensive minds in college football. Live up to it. You didn't do it this year.

We all got drawn into fools gold. Too many good coaches out there to get away with that for a full season.

Before the season started we all thought 2-3 losses would be a good season. That's what we got, but we're all disappointed.

One game left. Get healed, reset to help the weaknesses and get ready for next year.

Program is at a crossroad.

The offense has been mistake prone for a few years. The defense is limping home and loses a ton.

They have played up to and down to the opponent in far too many instances. Top teams can't underestimate half the teams on their schedule.

Play-calling has been highly suspect despite overall stats. Team had a Kragthorpian feel to it the last month of the season.

A win in a bowl could help change the direction, but nothing we've seen lately suggests it's coming.

It is fair to be highly concerned about the immediate future. A few assistants will go, but the elephant in the room is.... this is not the same Petrino as round one. The staunch supporters will rip me for saying it, but it's just not the same coach.

Started off great, but a lot of it was smoke and mirrors. There were bad deficiencies, but BP was able to mask them early. Chump game against Charlotte, no hiding needed. Slightly better opponent next week, but athleticism still won out, some problems stayed hidden.

FSU. Our superbowl. Everything clicked right for us and wrong for FSU. While a great win, it set us up for disappointment. Most people don't know it, but Shaq Wiggins was hurt in this game and still hasn't recovered.

Clemson was just a shootout. Sweeny was going to play his game, and let us play ours. No special planning on his part. More fools gold.

Players start falling to injury and Duke tries a new approach on us that works even though we win. Other lesser teams follow that plan and almost knock us off.

The opposing coaches have figured out our O line sucks, so they adapt to exploit it. Our secondary suffers injuries (wiggings, Harvey Clemons) and exploit it with ball control and short passing game.

We basically win some of these games because Lamar busts loose for a few game changing plays.

Opposing coaches also figure out that we're turnover prone and start going after the ball.

By the time Houston rolls around, its the opposite of the FSU game. They can do no wrong, we can do no right. Herman is a helluva coach, and has a good team. They exploit every weakness we have and humiliate us.

That leaves UK. UK is a much improved team since the beginning of the season. They're known for a great running attack, but suspect at best in passing game. We plan for that. They're ready and they have a great game in which their passing game works. This is aided by the fact that our two best secondary players (wiggins and clemons) are not healthy. They attack that, and our season long weakness of turnovers to eke out a win.

Tom Herman said flat out Jackson carries the ball like a loaf of bread. Lamar proved him right with the last fumble.

The last item on the bad list is Petrino 2.0 doesn't have the cajones of Petrino 1.0. 4th and less than 2 at the goal and he kicks the FG. He has the most dynamic player in college football and won't take the chance.

What happened to the Petrino that faked a punt at WVU in his own territory? What happened to the spread? What happened to the gadget plays?

Stoops had bigger cajones than Petrino today. He went for it on 4th and 4 and got it.

In short. Started with fools gold. Got exposed mid season and the staff couldnt adjust from then on.

#1. Find his balls again. I don't like this straight up crap with a less than average line. Use what you have. Feed the studs. Keep the opposing defenses guessing.

#2. Recruit some damn linemen that can protect. Get a coach that can push them to their maximum ability. We're better than getting O linemen that only have 1 Power 5 offer.

#3. Adapt better when you get figured out. You have the reputation of being one of the best offensive minds in college football. Live up to it. You didn't do it this year.

We all got drawn into fools gold. Too many good coaches out there to get away with that for a full season.

Before the season started we all thought 2-3 losses would be a good season. That's what we got, but we're all disappointed.

One game left. Get healed, reset to help the weaknesses and get ready for next year.
This is the post of the year on this site. spot on with every point.

Brilliant. Nothing to add. Let's heal up, reset, and go win the bowl game and get that Top 15 ranking heading into next season.

Reactions: SoulSr and pervisl
Can't disagree with much which surprises me a little...

:cool:

I don't think the O-line looked nearly as bad yesterday vis-a-vis the other positions. We have an O-line problem that is accentuated on the road and in very loud environments. I'm not enough of a football guy to know how to fix that, I just know what I see.

Also, the O-line is sometimes getting a bad look by Lamar trying to be "Heisman Lamar". There's nothing Petrino hates more than negative-yardage plays, so I'm confident that gets addressed with him during the bowl prep and off season. Lamar simply has to chuck the ball or take off running when his internal alarm goes off.

To embellish the point, I want back SOB Bobby. And I hope his family can live that. Their quality of life to some degree depends on it...

Oh, I can see it too. But when he's had enough of the kinder, gentler results--and Jurich has as well--I'm somewhat confident that THEY will do what they have to.

That guy hasn't forgotten a thing about football. He just has to bring it forth...

Can we just have the on the field old Bobby back? He can be good Bobby at home, but I want the killer on the field back. That guy is still MIA.

I'd always heard that Paul was Bobbys enforcer during the first run. Can we bring Paul back. Call him the "special football advisor" or something like that? ;)

Can we just have the on the field old Bobby back? He can be good Bobby at home, but I want the killer on the field back. That guy is still MIA.

I'd always heard that Paul was Bobbys enforcer during the first run. Can we bring Paul back. Call him the "special football advisor" or something like that? ;)

I always heard that as well about Paul. And you could see (and hear) it at practices. Paul was the guy always in somebody's face. I would love to see Paul rejoin Bobby.

Paul Petrino is having his best season to date at Idaho. They currently stand 7-4 with a season finale vs Georgia State @ home. I don't see him returning to Louisville to be his brother's asst. I think that ship has sailed, even though an assistant job here would probably be a pay upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobby's a big boy and should be able to handle all of the job of being his old self. If that's what it takes...

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT